Tournament: The Sword of Destiny

Re: Tournament: The Sword of Destiny

Congrats on the progress jiansonz, whommy, kavarin!

Turin has pushed his way through another act. Not a whole lot interesting to say about Act II NM. The only real scare was a tough champion pack of blood lords in the Arcane Sanctuary, that forced a hasty retreat under constant fireball/wall bombardment. Duriel was surprisingly easy; a couple merc resurrections were needed, but more out of a sense of utmost caution than actual need. When Dury finally started targeting Turin and not the merc, things went fine, as Turin was able to Leech/Red Potion enough to kill him without further TPing.

My troubles with skellies were solved by dropping the point from Radament into Zeal. A two-hit zeal proved a safe, effective solution for enemies I didn't want to use sacrifice on (mostly skellies and lightning spires).

Because even with a Defiance merc, things would pretty much hit Turin whenever they wanted, I did some of Act II with a Thorns merc. I was not impressed. He died a lot, and I noticed no advantage in killing power. I eventually went with Holy Freeze, and was surprised that there were still plenty of bodies laying around for Redemption to do its thing--I LOVE THAT SKILL.

I did spend some time crafting in this act, as I pretty much decided to spend all my pgems and see what I could come up with. The results weren't too bad, though I had no Sols or Amns to craft some rings, which I really would like to upgrade. For those who are interested, here's what Turin is currently wearing. Everything is orange except the rings and ammy:

Code:
Shadow Circlet
Crown
Defense: 58
Durability: 50 of 50
Required Strength: 55
Required Level: 27
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 47
Fingerprint: 0xdf27d4b3
+27% Enhanced Defense
+30 to Attack Rating
Damage Reduced by 4
Magic Damage Reduced by 2
Lightning Resist +29%
+3 to Light Radius

Ghoul Shell
Field Plate
Defense: 186
Durability: 48 of 48
Required Strength: 55
Required Level: 39
Item Level: 46
Fingerprint: 0xafce78cf
+24 to Life
+76% Enhanced Defense
Attacker Takes Damage of 10
20% Faster Hit Recovery
5% Chance to cast Level 4 Frost Nova when struck

Dread Finger
Heavy Gloves
Defense: 5
Durability: 14 of 14
Required Level: 20
Item Level: 21
Fingerprint: 0x3eb0be14
+13 to Life
3% Life stolen per hit
Half Freeze Duration
10% Chance of Crushing Blow

Grim Track
Greaves
Defense: 25
Durability: 24 of 24
Required Strength: 70
Required Level: 35
Item Level: 45
Fingerprint: 0xdc85b6fa
+51% Enhanced Defense
Damage Reduced by 4
Magic Damage Reduced by 1
Fire Resist +6%
Lightning Resist +23%
Poison Resist +30%
Half Freeze Duration

Cruel Lock
Mesh Belt
Defense: 35
Durability: 16 of 16
Required Strength: 58
Required Level: 32
Item Level: 53
Fingerprint: 0x85a1f7c8
+18 to Life
Cold Resist +30%
1% Life stolen per hit
Attacker Takes Damage of 3
9% Chance of Open Wounds

Beast Torc
Amulet
Required Level: 26
Item Level: 45
Fingerprint: 0x7e278a73
Damage Reduced by 4
Fire Resist +30%
3% Life stolen per hit
4% Mana stolen per hit
+1 to Summoning Skills (Necromancer Only)

Ghoul Finger
Ring
Required Level: 14
Item Level: 21
Fingerprint: 0x517501fe
Replenish Life +4
15% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
Level 1 Charged Bolt (22/22 Charges)

Plague Whorl
Ring
Required Level: 9
Item Level: 30
Fingerprint: 0xe7166e02
+2 to Strength
+13 to Maximum Stamina
Fire Resist +20%
26% Extra Gold from Monsters

I like the 23% LL (with Amn'd Shadowfang) as well as 12 points of damage reduction, 9% OW and 10% CB. He's sitting on 832 life at level 52. Resists are all below 55 or so because I have almost no charms resists, but a quick hotkey of Salvation and they're all maxed except poison. I doubt that strategy will fly if I make it to hell, however. I have a rare belt and crafted blood boots that could be swapped in for different circumstances, but that's the default.

Here's the merc's current setup. The scythe is new and dropped from Duriel.

Code:
Ghoul Crest
Helm
Defense: 15
Durability: 21 of 24
Required Strength: 26
Required Level: 22
Item Level: 25
Fingerprint: 0xa3e2463
+18 to Life
Poison Resist +20%
1% Life stolen per hit
10% Deadly Strike

Pain Coat
Plate Mail
Defense: 161
Durability: 60 of 60
Required Strength: 65
Required Level: 47
Item Level: 53
Fingerprint: 0xbee438d1
+16 to Life
+38% Enhanced Defense
2% Life stolen per hit
+3 Life after each Demon Kill
14% Chance to cast Level 5 Nova when struck
Repairs 1 durability in 33 seconds

Plague Song
War Scythe
Two-Hand Damage: 34 to 71
Durability: 29 of 55
Required Dexterity: 80
Required Strength: 80
Required Level: 24
Polearm Class - Fast Attack Speed
Item Level: 55
Fingerprint: 0x9d1fab4
+95% Enhanced Damage
+107 to Attack Rating
+5 to Minimum Damage
+1 to Maximum Damage
Adds 1-7 lightning damage
55% Damage to Demons
+129 to Attack Rating against Demons

If the merc had some leech on his wep, I'd probably swap Turin's armor with the merc's, but the +24 hp and 20%FHR are decent mods. Didn't think he'd end up wearing a Hit Power item, but I had the stuff and there you have it.

And now the table.

Code:
Name         Character       Class       Area         Level  Current Sword
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cyrax        BigSword        Amazon      Guardian      79    SoD: Blacktongue (upped + shael)
Kavarin      Lancelot        Necromancer H Cold Plains 61    SoD: Soulflay
Hanshotfirst Hinamori        Sorceress   H Rogue Camp  65    SoD: Blacktongue
Whommy       Brynhilda       Amazon      H Rogue Camp  66    SoD: Blacktongue (Up'ed) + Tal
jimmah       Sven            Barbarian   H Rogue Camp  70    SoD: The Patriarch (upped + shael)
jiansonz     Marion          Sorceress   H Rogue Camp  75    SoD: Shadowfang (rare MF/AR/STR/Envy jewel)
Moonfrost    Bul-Kathos      Barbarian   N Frigid HLs  60    SoD: Soulflay (upped)
Nogan        myswordisbigger Barbarian   N Harrogath   64    SoD: Soulflay (upped + shael)
Kimppi       ChosenOne       Barbarian   N RoF         55    Rare Espandon
Sixstringer  Turin           Paladin     N Kurast      52    SoD: Shadowfang (upped + Amn)
Zuggz        Zeath           Necromancer N Lut Gholein 48    Sup Flamberge Flawless ruby, topaz, skull
Raver        Helena          Assassin    N Cats        47    Rare Bastard Sword
Rhia         Pointu          Amazon      N Rogue Camp  36    Bastard Sword/El,El,rare jewel
altima       Gawain          Barbarian   N Rogue Camp  37    Rare Flambarge
Sorcererbob  Snowman_Frosty  Paladin     Ancients Way  30    3sock claymore: EthEthTal (eth sup bastard sword on switch for bosses)
Snarfer      Paul_Bunyan     Druid       Harrogath     32    Claymore/flawless ruby/topaz/saph
Dlav         Uncle-Sam       Paladin     Pandemonium   25    Superior Claymore/Tal/Ral/Ith
Thaquitz     Thrain          Barbarian   L. Kurast     26    2-H/Jwl of Envy/flwd emrld/flwd skull
buraz        Blade           Druid       Kurast Docks  26    Claymore/skull/emerald/saphire
Sixstringer  Desdemona       Sorceress   Kurast        23    Claymore/Amethyst/El
Carolus Rex  Conan           Barbarian   Lut Gholein   20    Claymore/2 ch skull
Haerviu      Scorpeia        Amazon      Lut Gholein   20    2-H/ch-Topaz/Emerald/Saphire
sdbramwell   Bladestone      Paladin     Lut Gholein   22    Claymore/topaz/Jewel/flwd emrld
DemonOfWrath Sardinath       Barbarian   Far Oasis     22    Claymore/flawed topaz saphire and skull
Baajir       Orlog           Necromancer Black Marsh   13    2-H / ch topaz
Nagisa       Gintoki         Necromancer Stony Field   10    Sup 2-H/ch saph,ruby,emerald
FaNCy        Harlequin       Amazon      Cold Plains    7     -
XxuberstarxX Manwe           Paladin     Rogue camp     1    Starter sword 
NacRuno      Pindleskin      Paladin     Rogue camp     1    Starter sword
sveinbjorn   Sir_Robin       Paladin     Rogue camp     1    Starter sword
Ordeith      Moiraine        Assassin    Rogue camp     1    Starter claw

Darn, this first act has a good number of fire immunes. Fallen (and Shamen) are the most obvious (and very numerous!), but Vile Archers/Spearwomen also have it, along with the beefy Arachs and the hard-hitting Ghouls. Fortunately, Gulzar does a good amount of three kinds of damage: fire, physical and cold. The ctc Amp on his weapon was very useful, especially against two Stone Skin Ghoul bosses (FI + PI) who would have taken a very long time to kill otherwise.

Not surprisingly, it was some of the rogue archer bosses that were the worst. I got the first dose of them in The Cave level 2.

The scariest of them all was Seethe Weaver. Cold Enchanted on top of all the other nastiness. We hate CE...

The effert has been substantial, but now we´ve made it though. :alright:
The whole act cleared on /p3, except for the second half of The Countess' floor (for better rune drop chances; I got a Dol) and Andariel´s floor (because I was quite scared of her...).

A nice little "breakthrough" for Marion after a level-up in the Barracks.

Finds in the act have not been so good. Some runes (a Dol, a Shael and an Amn) but the best were two small charms, both with (perfect) 11% resistance and +1 DEX (one fire, one cold). I also saved an imbuable Great Bow. There are some places ahead that is best handled by an archer. Now that I´ve reached Act II, I can switch freely between merc types (although I can´t go back to a HF merc in a running game, obviously).

[Highlight]Conqueror Marion the Enchantress and Gulzar, her Holy Freeze bodyguard, level 80, Hell Rocky Waste next.[/Highlight]

I dont believe it! I decided to enter this tourney myself. I started, waited for my rogue, then I went and wrote an epic introduction (which is not even done yet, and quite large already), as told from the viewpoint of the rogue I got from Kashya...

And then, in the blackmarsh, Diablo just dies on me! Which means I no longer have single pass, which means I step out of this tourney before I even enter, while spending quite some time on it as well.

Oh well..
Good luck to all participants.

@Jiansonz - I know - it's a requirement for me :) Making a guardian without it won't have any meaning for me otherwise.

Last edited:

Hell is hell! Things are tough, as expected, but not entirely unmanageable. I've still got a couple of tricks up my sleeve.You'll never guess what we're using to kill critters: a steel sabre iron golem for the open wounds to stop regeneration and the 14% ED 30-139 damage lance we imbued in A3 nightmare. Whew. Thank goodness for this ruling.

Kavarin: I don't think there's been a ruling on socketed IGs, but I'll allow it as, again, I don't think IG unbalances the tourney.

In situations where the merc dies instantly, Iggy can even kill things on his own, albeit extremely slowly with curse support, and for sure I'm glad that his 5300HP are on the front line rather than Lancelot's ~780.

Resists are: 12/-27/-26/-12

I traded the holy freeze merc for a blessed aim one which takes my AR to 1850 and my chance to hit is more than 50% which is fine for now. I also have a crown with chance to cast frost nova in the stash ready to make iggy from for use against spawners.

@Merlin - you could always join again!

@jiansonz - I've adopted your method of reporting progress to save from requoting the table. Hope that is okay.

[Highlight]Conqueror Lancelot and co, level 64 in Hell Black Marsh.[/Highlight]

We´re moving on, sometimes at snail´s pace, sometimes a bit faster. I am still going with /p3 (except in Fangskin´s Lair) to increase the drop chances of any of the runes I long for.

I had a feeling that the Palace would be a tough place, but I lucked out and met archers only on the first floor (meaning: no boss pack of them - that floor is always free from bosses). The last level had some very tough Blunderbore bosses. Snot Maim here was the most dangerous. Lots of potions (including about two columns of big purples) were used to keep Gulzar from dying. To avoid losing the upper hand in the fighting position you can see in the screenie, I decided to suffer the death nova at 25% cold resistance. That wasn´t so bad.

Another Blunderbore boss took us about 15 minutes (yes, I am serious!) of constant hitting to kill. It had Stone Skin + Mana Burn + Teleportation. FI + PI, but when Amp triggered we had a small window to hurt him with physical damage. Marion does poison damage with 3.5 seconds duration, plus she has a small chance to get Open Wounds going. But she is crappy at hitting, and the Stone Skin on this boss did not help. Sometimes, when there was nothing that stopped the regeneration of this boss, I lost some of the progress we´ve made, and I wasn´t sure we were going to make it. Fortunately, the boss didn´t hurt Gulzar too much, and he leeched pretty well when Amp had triggered. The boss teleported three times near the end, but I was quick to resume the needed position (right behind Gulzar, preventing Knockbacks) every time.
I ended up using 4 super healers, one big purple and two small purples before we had won. Full clear is still perfect. Yay!

After the session, I managed to craft this amulet:
[Highlight]Blood Collar
Amulet[/Highlight]
Required Level: 57
Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
Item Level: 80
Fingerprint: 0xa7cab99d
+11 to Dexterity
+16 to Mana
Regenerate Mana 8%
Fire Resist +35%
Lightning Resist +15%
Cold Resist +15%
Poison Resist +15%
6% Faster Cast Rate
+1 to Shape-Shifting Skills (Druid Only)

With such a large fire resist boost, I could switch out some resist charms for an Iron Grand Charm and a small lightning resist charm. Marion´s AR is now over 1600. Still sucks, but I enjoy all the improvement I can get (without compromising reists/life).

Current resists are 75/25/69, which is much better than I started Hell with.

[Highlight]Conqueror Marion the Enchantress and Gulzar, her Holy Freeze bodyguard, level 82, Hell Arcane Sanctuary next.[/Highlight]

Lancelot finally has his endgame Sword of Destiny. And 1300 damage ain't so bad :) Since switching swords he has at least 10 confirmed solo kills (in comparison with zero previously since about A3 NM). He has also contributed a good chunk of damage (between 25% and 90%) to another hundred or so monsters.

Why Malice and not Passion?

Passion provides approximately 180 - 210% AR for a beserk including the skill, the inherent AR boost and spirit, which if my maths is correct would take me to around 1800 AR giving me a ~60% chance to hit without a blessed aim merc. I guess I will be hitting for between 500 - 1000 points of magic damage, or less even, which is not boostable by curses.

Malice, on the other hand has a flat +AR of 50 and without blessed aim, according to LCS, Lancelot has about a 35% chance to hit, or approximately 1 stroke in 3. Each successful hit will start or renew open wounds (> 1300 damage if I understand the mechanics correctly); prevent monster regeneration *and* reduce monster defence. In addition, a bunch of stats go to vitality that would otherwise have to go to strength.

Passion is 1 or 2 frames faster, I forget which. But it seems that the damage over time is not *that* much better than Malice and losing the PMH and OW is bad.

It is a sad waste of a Lem, but so far I haven't regretted it at all.

Two NDEs in A1. Griswold landed a punch doing ~600 damage. And once I tried to force my way into a room in the Jail that the golem had blocked. It seems that some Tainted were the hold-up and Lancelot was hit by several lightening balls. More haste, less speed is the lesson here.

I switched to a fire rogue to clear out the PI wraiths in the jail and I finally had to lose the steel sabre golem which had lasted until then. A castable clay golem is really handy and the slowing helps too. I had saved a short siege bow with 133% ED, +122AR, 7 poison and +1 amazon skills for just this occasion. Conclusion: the rogue is slower, but safer than the town guard. Each monster takes maybe 10 seconds instead of 2.

After the jail, I went back to nightmare and picked another holy freezer, Azrael. These guys are great against revivers. He might have to kill each critter 10 times, but eventually they will shatter and there will be nothing left to revive. Against a couple of fanaticism aura enchanted, extra strong shamans, we did exactly that.

Another great find in the jail - a steel grand charm of strength with +122AR and +6STR. We don't really need the strength any more - we know pretty much what our endgame gear is, but the additional AR is much needed.

Lancelot had 19 skill points free at the end of A1 so I've assigned a few of them for him. 1 went into fire golem, 2 into clay golem (for additional life and slowing) and 2 into summon resist. I had a feeling that he wouldn't be able to kill anything in hell and had planned to drop out of the tournament and put points in corpse explosion. It looks like that won't be necessary for the time being though.

Catching up on a few screenshots:

The moment when Soulflay dropped.

Lancelot hasn't had much luck with amulets. This crafted blood one is the best of them.

Lancelot makes Conqueror.

The stats in hell are not pretty.

Fighting ^%&$%£$ing PIs in the jail.

Code:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cyrax        BigSword        Amazon      Guardian      79    SoD: Blacktongue (upped + shael)
jiansonz     Marion          Sorceress   H Arcane S.   82    SoD: Shadowfang (rare MF/AR/STR/Envy jewel)
Kavarin      Lancelot        Necromancer H Lut Gholein 66    SoD: RuneWord
Whommy       Brynhilda       Amazon      H Rogue Camp  66    SoD: Blacktongue (Up'ed) + Tal
jimmah       Sven            Barbarian   H Rogue Camp  70    SoD: The Patriarch (upped + shael)
Moonfrost    Bul-Kathos      Barbarian   N Frigid HLs  60    SoD: Soulflay (upped)
Nogan        myswordisbigger Barbarian   N Harrogath   64    SoD: Soulflay (upped + shael)
Sixstringer  Turin           Paladin     N Kurast      52    SoD: Shadowfang (upped + Amn)
Zuggz        Zeath           Necromancer N Lut Gholein 48    Sup Flamberge Flawless ruby, topaz, skull
Rhia         Pointu          Amazon      N Rogue Camp  36    Bastard Sword/El,El,rare jewel
Sorcererbob  Snowman_Frosty  Paladin     Ancients Way  30    3sock claymore: EthEthTal (eth sup bastard sword on switch for bosses)
Snarfer      Paul_Bunyan     Druid       Harrogath     32    Claymore/flawless ruby/topaz/saph
Dlav         Uncle-Sam       Paladin     Pandemonium   25    Superior Claymore/Tal/Ral/Ith
Thaquitz     Thrain          Barbarian   L. Kurast     26    2-H/Jwl of Envy/flwd emrld/flwd skull
buraz        Blade           Druid       Kurast Docks  26    Claymore/skull/emerald/saphire
Sixstringer  Desdemona       Sorceress   Kurast        23    Claymore/Amethyst/El
Carolus Rex  Conan           Barbarian   Lut Gholein   20    Claymore/2 ch skull
Haerviu      Scorpeia        Amazon      Lut Gholein   20    2-H/ch-Topaz/Emerald/Saphire
sdbramwell   Bladestone      Paladin     Lut Gholein   22    Claymore/topaz/Jewel/flwd emrld
DemonOfWrath Sardinath       Barbarian   Far Oasis     22    Claymore/flawed topaz saphire and skull
Nagisa       Gintoki         Necromancer Stony Field   10    Sup 2-H/ch saph,ruby,emerald

[highlight]Fallen Heroes[/highlight]
Code:
XxuberstarxX Boxxy           Assassin    H Cold Plains 64    SoD: Shadowfang (upped + shael)
Raver        Natasha         Amazon      N Pand        59    Claymore/ Tal / Ral/ Jewel
Nunka        Gurloes         Paladin     N Travincal   58    Zweihander/12% ED jewel/2x pskull
Buraz        Macho           Barbarian   N SpiderCave. 50    SoD: Soulflay (upped + shael)
PFSS         TwoBob          Paladin     N Maggot Lair 44    Rare Flamberge
XxuberstarxX Elessar         Paladin     N Maggot Lair 48    Flamberge/2x ort/2x ral
NacRuno      Vega            Necromancer N Catacomb 4  45    Rare Giant Sword
Hanshotfirst Hinamori        Assassin    N Catacomb 4  46    Rare Giant Sword
XxuberstarxX TheBlade        Paladin     N Tristram    42    Rare Claymore
Sixstringer  Sangar          Paladin     N Stony Field 41    Flamberge/Jewel of Ire/Ith/Skull
Justin       tourny-one      Barbarian   PandFortress  33    GiantSword (ith, sapp, jewel (5max dam, 17 ar))
Greizer      WoodChuck       Barbarian   Chaos Sanc.   30    Claymore (Tir+chipped skull+lol)
skoolbus     Lancelot        Paladin     Chaos Sanc.   25    SoD: Shadowfang
Sixstringer  Stormblade      Paladin     Chaos Sanc.   30    Claymore/Ral rune, jewel of envy
Nunka        Dorcas          Sorceress   Chaos Sanc.   32    Sup Clay/saph/topaz/emrld
XxuberstarxX BladeSlinger    Paladin     Rof           25    Claymore/jwl of envy/ith/skull
JayeM        Garvin          Paladin     D. of Hate 3  29    Rare claymore
sdbramwell   Crisendon       Paladin     CanyonMagi    24    Claymore/JoEx2
stbay        Xerber          Paladin     Jail Lev1     17    2-H / 3x jewel of envy
PFSS         Bob             Paladin     Duriel        20    Claymore/+5Max/+7Max
JayeM        Groo            Barbarian   Triangl tomb  26    Rare claymore
ShadedOne    Deuxmains       Paladin     Duriel's      25    2-H/ch saph/ch skullx2
JayeM        Howell          Druid       Canyon/Magi   25    2-H/ruby/skull/J.ofEnvy
sveinbjorn   Elric           Necromancer Tal's Tomb    24    2-H/2 ch emrld/skull
Greizer      LeChuck         Paladin     Tal's Tomb    23    3sox Claymore/20psn jewel/12%dmg to mana jewel/empty
Greizer      Sassy_Lass      Sorceress   Arcane Sanct. 21    Claymore (Skull+12% ed jool+flawed emerald)
jamesixgun   Judith          Assassin    Lost City     24    2-H/ch 2x ruby/saph
jamesixgun   OrangeJuice     Barbarian   Lut Gholein   20    2-H/+3 min Jewel/fl topaz/ch ruby
sveinbjorn   Begg Galoot     Barbarian   Stony Field   12    2-H/3 ch em
Brutass      HugeWilly       Barbarian   Catacomb 4    18    2-H/normal sword
sveinbjorn   Fafhrd          Barbarian   Cathedral     19    2-Hand/2 ch emrld
bcoe         Walter          Paladin     Catacomb 3    17    2-H/JofEnvy
sveinbjorn   Miyumi          Assassin    Jail Lvl 1    17    2-H/2 ch emrld
Rhia         Baam-Baam       Sorceress   The Pits      17    2/H/ch topaz,ch rub,ch emerald
TLOD         Norris          Barbarian   Black Marsh   17    2-H/ch topaz.ch skull
JayeM        Leona           Sorceress   Monastery     16    2-H/Ch Skull/topaz/sapp

Just updating the table. My own little NM Amazon is slowly getting through Act 1. Still no rare amulets have dropped. Poot.

Code:
jiansonz     Marion          Sorceress   H Arcane S.   82    SoD: Shadowfang (rare MF/AR/STR/Envy jewel)
Kavarin      Lancelot        Necromancer H Lut Gholein 66    SoD: Runeword
Rhia         Pointu          Amazon      N OC          40    Bastard Sword/El,El,rare jewel
Code:
XxuberstarxX Boxxy           Assassin    H Cold Plains 64    SoD: Shadowfang (upped + shael)
Raver        Natasha         Amazon      N Pand        59    Claymore/ Tal / Ral/ Jewel
Nunka        Gurloes         Paladin     N Travincal   58    Zweihander/12% ED jewel/2x pskull
Buraz        Macho           Barbarian   N SpiderCave. 50    SoD: Soulflay (upped + shael)
XxuberstarxX Elessar         Paladin     N Maggot Lair 48    Flamberge/2x ort/2x ral
Sixstringer  Sangar          Paladin     N Stony Field 41    Flamberge/Jewel of Ire/Ith/Skull
Justin       tourny-one      Barbarian   PandFortress  33    GiantSword (ith, sapp, jewel (5max dam, 17 ar))
Greizer      WoodChuck       Barbarian   Chaos Sanc.   30    Claymore (Tir+chipped skull+lol)
Sixstringer  Stormblade      Paladin     Chaos Sanc.   30    Claymore/Ral rune, jewel of envy
Nunka        Dorcas          Sorceress   Chaos Sanc.   32    Sup Clay/saph/topaz/emrld
XxuberstarxX BladeSlinger    Paladin     Rof           25    Claymore/jwl of envy/ith/skull
stbay        Xerber          Paladin     Jail Lev1     17    2-H / 3x jewel of envy
PFSS         Bob             Paladin     Duriel        20    Claymore/+5Max/+7Max
ShadedOne    Deuxmains       Paladin     Duriel's      25    2-H/ch saph/ch skullx2
JayeM        Howell          Druid       Canyon/Magi   25    2-H/ruby/skull/J.ofEnvy
sveinbjorn   Elric           Necromancer Tal's Tomb    24    2-H/2 ch emrld/skull
Greizer      LeChuck         Paladin     Tal's Tomb    23    3sox Claymore/20psn jewel/12%dmg to mana jewel/empty
Greizer      Sassy_Lass      Sorceress   Arcane Sanct. 21    Claymore (Skull+12% ed jool+flawed emerald)
jamesixgun   Judith          Assassin    Lost City     24    2-H/ch 2x ruby/saph
jamesixgun   OrangeJuice     Barbarian   Lut Gholein   20    2-H/+3 min Jewel/fl topaz/ch ruby
Rhia         Baam-Baam       Sorceress   The Pits      17    2/H/ch topaz,ch rub,ch emerald
TLOD         Norris          Barbarian   Black Marsh   17    2-H/ch topaz.ch skull
JayeM        Leona           Sorceress   Monastery     16    2-H/Ch Skull/topaz/sapp

Lancelot hasn't had much luck with amulets. This crafted blood one is the best of them.

That´s a Safety amulet, not a Blood one. Oh my, if that is the best amulet, I feel for Lancelot.

But congrats on the progress so far, and good luck during the rest of the game. :thumbsup:

Blade has enterd NM easily: Merc and Bear have done most killing, while he swinged around with his SoD.
Currently he has maxed Cyclone armor, and is 5 levels from maxing Grizzly. After that it's HoW turn :yes: .. maybe a point in carrion vine to.. we will see is he gonna live that long :badteeth:

Code:
Kavarin      Lancelot        Necromancer H Lut Gholein 66    SoD: Runeword
Rhia         Pointu          Amazon      N OC          40    Bastard Sword/El,El,rare jewel
buraz        Blade           Druid       N Rouge Camp  44    SoD: Shadowfang
Code:

Nice progress y'all! I've not had a chance to play Brynhilda in a while because of major deadlines looming IRL. I'm still going to come back to the tourny after the 16th!

Canyon of the Magi was lively, with many beetles and some Extra Fast Crusher packs.
No problem, because I first went in a direction that provided lots of open space.

Mixed bag in the false tombs. We beat some ridiculously nasty Gorebelly bosses. There was one I wasn´t sure we could kill, but we did.

Grail item in the true tomb, from a regular critter. I´ve seen it before, but I don´t count my Duriel runs experiment as grail worthy.
A little while later, in the same tomb, I found a unique amulet that was another grailer: Seraph´s Hymn. +2 All Skills with some minor extras.

Here is a somewhat bad situation. See the Unholy Bolt? There´s an Unraveler down there, shooting at us. Got very lucky here, and all but one of the mummies shattered on the first kill. The last one got resurrected about five times before it also became ice cubes. It hit Marion with heavy poison, but I always carry some antidotes when I´m fighting sarcophagi on NM/Hell diffuculty.

/p1 against Duriel. Of course, as he is one of the major hurdles for this character.
Just look at this:
- I have no shield and I don´t have super high life. Standing up to him just doesn´t work unless I have hundreds or rejuves (which I don´t). Even a super healer every half second won´t counter the damage I take.
- I have no recastable minion.
- I have a merc buddy to protect me, but he´ll get whupped in seconds.
- Our hits do hurt him, but he´s got lots of life, plus he has HF so we won´t attack very often. Marion will rarely hit anyway...

After many painful visits to Duriel´s lair, I could not see any progress at all on his life bar. That does it! Time to make a runesword and hire a Blessed Aim merc. I cubed my Thul runes to an Amn, and made a Strength Flamberge. I already had my 20% IAS gloves on. Attack rating with Blessed Aim help was around 3000.

When the merc had been killed and was newly resurrected, I usually teleported around in the lair until he switched on Blessed Aim. Then I popped out and went to Lysander to feed him some thawing potions. These were my best situations, and the SOP went something like this:
- Pop in from the TP, and immediately cast another.
- Teleport over the incoming Lord of Pain.
- Wait for merc to close in, then follow.
- Attack Duriel. Feed merc 4 super healers in quick succession. (sometimes I wasn´t directly behind the merc; he got hit by Smite and Duriel attacked Marion. This wasn´t so bad, because the alternating hits we took gave the super healers some time to work).
- Once merc´s life bar got down to about 1/4, teleport over to the TP along the top edge and get out.
- Lick wounds and restock.

Repeat this around 80 times. :p
(With some serious mess in between when the merc had been killed and I needed him to start the aura again.)

First time I realized we were actually making progress. Duriel is green, which means I´ve hit him!

Getting close now.

During the fight, I went from the maximum 830k gold in inventory to nothing. Needed to withdraw a little from the 2M stash as well. Hopefully I can earn back the cash in the early parts of Act III.

Duriel dropped an interesting item. It brings Marions AR over 1900. I kept the IAS gloves on. I want to see if there is any fighting spirit in this girl!

Lightning resist is down to 28%, but I am keeping the old gloves and helm in the in-game stash, so I can get back to nearly max if I need to.

Now that I no longer have use for fantastic rune drops (pretty much only the crafting runes are useful now), I pondered switching down to /p1 for the rest of the game. But I changed my mind. Why? I still want to find two more ethereal elite merc weapons I can imbue. So it will still be /p3 for the time being (except for the temples and Mephisto).

[Highlight]Conqueror Marion the Enchantress and Ahsab, her Holy Freeze bodyguard, level 83, Hell Spider Forest next.[/Highlight]

Very exciting write-up, jiansonz! Duriel was my hardest normal boss with my 2-h sword amazon. I loved hearing your strategy!

And two grailers?? Great stuff!

Good going jiansonz, and good luck! :)

I was wondering briefly how you had managed to get through the maggot lair with all those PIs until I remembered that thanks to enchant you do a good amount of fire damage. Ah well, that is a chore that Lancelot is going to be coming up against soon. I'm guessing that fire rogue + time is going to be the key to success.

And I didn't know there was a +AR% affix on non-weapons. Something like that would get Lancelot to 1000AR even without a blessed aim merc.

And I didn't know there was a +AR% affix on non-weapons. Something like that would get Lancelot to 1000AR even without a blessed aim merc.

The affix is called Visionary. You also have 'of the Sun' (which you can get in several item slots) but that´s only +5%.

The End For Lancelot

So far, in order to try and aim at beating the level 79 target set by Cyrax, Lancelot been skipping quite a few areas and monsters. Radament and the sewers are optional *and* he no longer need the skill points. However, he can't just skip a quest that gives a decent bonus. Chance to hit was down below 20% but he only needs to hit a critter once to prevent it healing and then even Iggy can take it out eventually. This extra strong, lightening enchanted, fire enchanted critter caused a bit of bother before the positioning was right.

Radament was easy enough until he stopped focusing on the golem and then he killed Azrael in a second. Here, the fact that the iron golem is poison immune is really useful as he was hitting hard enough to kill himself fairly quickly on the thorns.

Things were getting a bit silly now - the level of the enemy is increasing and at level 69 my chance to hit is in the teens so I thought why not, let's go back and take a crack at Blood Raven. I skipped her originally as I didn't think I would be doing enough damage to take her down when she can raise infinite zombies. Yikes, did I almost regret that. I raised Clay Golem skill level to 6 (with +4 from Wand and Necro head that gives > 50% slowing)

Round and round we went for more than an hour. She would raise new zombies, Lancelot, Azrael and sometimes Iggy would slowly take them out. Where possible I tried to keep Decrep on her. By then she was at the end of the N in Blood Raven. Then a fortunate spot, where she was sandwiched between the merc and Lancelot, reduced her to around half before she broke free. The zombies were terrified away and blinded. I think that by this time Malice had removed most of her def, Lancelot could practically hit her at will, at least when she was within range. Still, round and round we went, escaping from the graveyard when there were too many zombies to take them out without being harassed by Blood Raven. And then, got her - cornered at the edge, 90 minutes after battle had originally been joined.

Onward to the Maggot Lair. This was really slow going. Amp Damage removes the physical immunities from the insect clouds but coaxing the minions is hard work. Helping out with open wounds from Malice increased the speed a little - check out the durability in this screenshot. 29 of 44... he has been using it :)

There were no really bad bosses here although maybe this fanatic beetle was worse than the others.

Lancelot did have a close call with a champion pack of rock worms parked on a corner. He got close enough to curse them and then a fanatic worm burrowed under and emerged on the other side. The merc had almost slivered him before getting killed and golly was blocking the others but that was a six rejuve battle before malice finally managed to take him out (and we only have 8 on the belt). Lancelot stood a long way back from the next champion pack just in case!

At last, the final level. But what is this? It is impossible to enter as the chamber is packed with the spawn from Coldworm. And the rate at which they respawn is higher than the rate with which we can kill them :( This is a real weakness of low power builds such as Lancelot. Anything which can only produce a finite amount of enemies (such as Shaman) can eventually be worn down. Infinite producers such as Blood Raven and Coldworm are extremely bad.

We went back to Nightmare to get a might merc for a second attempt. A grailer dropped from a regular critter. There was a little bit of unpleasantness here where we went past a fork in the path and some beetles came up behind. Clay golem held them off but ultimately we had to TP out and return via the waypoint. But still no soap, we had the same problem as with Azrael.

And just like that, it seems to be over. We can't do enough damage to enter Coldworm's chamber and take the staff. Perhaps I'll try again with a new weapon found in the Far Oasis but I don't hold out much hope. Unless someone has a bright idea I think Lancelot will have to retire from the tournament.

Code:
jiansonz     Marion          Sorceress   H Kurast      83    SoD: Strength Flamberge
Kavarin      Lancelot        Necromancer H Far Oasis   71    SoD: Malice 2H
buraz        Blade           Druid       N Rouge Camp  44    SoD: Shadowfang
Code:

Last edited:

I'm pretty sure that coldworm is not actually an infinite spawner. At least in the lower difficulties I've noticed that each of the maggots only lay a certain number of eggs and that Coldworm will only spawn a certain number of maggots. That means that there is an endpoint. It might take a long while to get there, but you can always just leave the merc at the entrance and go get some coffee. Anyway, don't give up!

I wanted to enter the tournament, but I have already killed three characters. We'll see if I can get one off the ground and add myself to the table. :p

Unless someone has a bright idea I think Lancelot will have to retire from the tournament.

did you tought about buying a staff with teleport charges to teleport in for staff?
Is that allowed in this tourney? :scratchchin:

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High