Tournament: Set/Unique Worshippers 2017

Throwing you right into the action with a shot from the Sszark fight:

View attachment 11244

Quite obvious that the Shadow will die in the next second, eh?

The shot demonstrates something that I hadn't thought of with this build. Fighting melee packs is generally quite safe, with Barani freezing (or at least chilling) the monster I attack, then the Dragon Tails keep knocking back the pack. Sometimes I run into a (very beneficial) bug that lets me release the DTail effect without losing my charges. It happens so often that I am now usually ready for it. If it happens, "well thanks, here's another fully charged kick!"

Hey lady, I am not here for your entertainment...
(still envious of her awesome cloak - why couldn't they let me have one?)

View attachment 11245

Another example of a reasonably safe fight against some pretty powerful meleers:
(they are quick, though, so CoS was needed)

View attachment 11246

Yet another damage numbers screenie. No more until I find bigger boots, I promise!

View attachment 11247

Tied to what we talked about in the last two posts, how do you explain this?:

View attachment 11248

Needless to say, they went down super fast when Amped.

Dealing a ton of damage has its drawbacks, even at these times when Iron Maiden is no longer an issue. Exploding bone fetish deal significant damage already here in NM. Not sure if it was one or two here, but that hurt:

View attachment 11249

Aldur's Stony Gaze (Spider Forest)
Cleglaw's Pincers (Great Marsh)
Isenhart's Parry (Great Marsh)
Infernal Sign (Flayer Dungeon level 2)
[Highlight]Nightsmoke[/Highlight] #2 (Flayer Jungle)
Civerb's Icon (Flayer Jungle)
Angelic Halo (Gambled!)
Infernal Torch (Arachnid Lair)
ethereal [Highlight]Skewer of Krintiz[/Highlight] (Swampy Pit level 3)
Tancred's Skull (Swampy Pit level 3)
Isenhart's Case #3 (Lower Kurast Zakarumite boss)
Tal Rasha's Fine-Spun Cloth (Kurast Bazaar)
Sazabi's Mental Sheath (Sewers level 1)
[Highlight]Raven Frost[/Highlight] (Travincal chest)
[Highlight]Cliffkiller[/Highlight] (Travincal, Council Member minion)
[Highlight]Kinemil's Awl[/Highlight] (Durance of Hate level 1, Dark Lord boss)
Milabrega's Rod #2 (Durance of Hate level 2)
Rite of Passage #2 (Wyand Voidbringer)
[Highlight]Soul Harvest[/Highlight] #2 (Mephisto)
[Highlight]Stormspike[/Highlight] (Mephisto)
Tal Rasha's Fine-Spun Cloth #2 (Mephisto)

[Highlight]Destroyer Obara the TS/DTail Assassin and Barani the Cold Act III merc, level 64, NM Pandemonium Fortress, 90 S/U items found.[/Highlight]

Last edited:
Well, it was time to get a real feel for what areas with fire immunes will be like for my TS/DTail character Obara.

This guy wasn't a real representative, though, having much more life and hefty cold resist compared to the Doom Knights here:

View attachment 11591

Still, regular Venom Lords were a bit tedious to fight, taking 3-4 cycles to bring down.

Okay, fire immune Doom Knights. One option is 3x Tiger + Attack. Obviously doesn't work well enough with the meager Gull, upgraded or not. Doesn't really work with upgraded Tan Do Li Ga either...although the bleeding from Swordback Hold on that setup, along with Barani's ice, eventually kills things.

3x Tiger + Dragon Talon was reasonably effective:

View attachment 11592

I suppose DFlight could also have worked as finisher, but that's a lot more micro-management work if you need several cycles. It also moves Barani away from good vantage points.

We fought spawners on the Plains of Despair and on the River of Flame. Awesome perk with this build: you can pretty much ignore the Flesh Beasts. While you fight the bigger monsters, the little ones all die anyway!

Great bottleneck on the River:

View attachment 11593

Hephasto's aura was Blessed Aim and he was CE. No threat at all - I'm wearing Raven Frost now...

Ko from Hellforge. Okay, I guess...

Infector had Conviction, so I made sure to take him on alone. A good thing with a freeze merc is that you can often nail those leashed minions that bounce towards you and back. I think I got at least three (we could fight them without attracting the rest of the pack) before the Infector showed up.

With my great resists (85 fire, 73 lightning) and max block (except during the last seconds), I knew I could tank Diablo without having to move if I got close enough.

Ah, perfect:

View attachment 11594

Didn't need a single purple! Just 10 or so big reds.

With the big DEX boosts from my new items Raven Frost and Tal Rasha's belt, I could put all points in VIT in this act. Still have a way to go to reach 900, so I need to keep working on it. I'm beefing up Shadow Warrior, it's level 14 now. I want to learn Death Sentry before Hell starts, which requires 4 points. That leaves 4 or so for pumping the Shadow a bit more.

[Highlight]Rogue's Bow[/Highlight] (Outer Steppes)
Angelic Halo #2 (Plains of Despair, Champion Doom Caster)
[Highlight]Zakarum's Hand[/Highlight] (City of the Damned)
[Highlight]Tiamat's Rebuke[/Highlight] (City of the Damned)
Vidala's Fetlock #2 (River of Flame)
Angelic Sickle #2 (Diablo)

Tiamat's is interesting. Could be a help to make fighting immunes easier. It's heavy, though, and provides less blocking than the Swordback Hold Barbed Shield. Maybe I can't really fit it in.
(BTW: In Nethack, Tiamat is the Chromatic Dragon, the Cave(wo)man quest nemesis. She uses random breath attacks (of 8 possible types, I think) and is also a spellcaster and powerful in physical combat.)

[Highlight]Destroyer Obara the TS/DTail Assassin and Barani the Cold Act III merc, level 67, NM Harrogath, 95 S/U items found.[/Highlight]

Well, dang! Fired up my Worshipper Druid after 18 months hiatus and noticed that I have been using Shaels in my Witchwild String since Act I Hell because I forgot about the socket clause (only unique jewels or yellow/green jewels, Emeralds, Topazs, but no runes).

I guess that disqualifies me, does it? :oops:

Well, anyways, since I'm already about to free Anya, I might as well finish this botched mess and still post it here. The annoying thing is, that I probably wouldn't even have needed the Shaels, because most of the time I let my merc do the fighting. But I guess I have to learn to read the rules better :) Is anyone else still making progress in this tournament?

Last edited:
Well, dang! Fired up my Worshipper Druid after 18 months hiatus and noticed that I have been using Shaels in my Witchwild String since Act I Hell because I forgot about the socket clause (only unique jewels or yellow/green jewels, Emeralds, Topazs, but no runes).

I guess that disqualifies me, does it? :oops:

Well, anyways, since I'm already about to free Anya, I might as well finish this botched mess and still post it here. The annoying thing is, that I probably wouldn't even have needed the Shaels, because most of the time I let my merc do the fighting. But I guess I have to learn to read the rules better :) Is anyone else still making progress in this tournament?

I have a rabies druid somewhere in nightmare thats basically a slog to play, but if you're still progressing, I may try to pick it back up

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High