Tournament Idea: Crafting and Rune-Centric Playthrough -- Feedback Welcome

Thanks for the continued feedback and great clarifying questions. Given the interest, I'll try to nail down the outstanding points of unclarity and try to get tourney thread later this week, so those interested can get started. And yes @Pb_pal you are required to participate :)

just for clarification - I think it's obvious, but I will ask anyway: before Act 2 NM, plain white/grey can't be equipped if they have any skill mod on it, unless a socketable one is found and rune socketed, right?
Actually, I was thinking white/grey can be used even with staffmods. The goal is to not be too slog-y early, so an extra +1-2 skills doesn't seem like a problem and doesn't undermine the theme. The main restriction is no gems or jewels socketed in such items after A1 Normal because would be out of theme. I think I see the confusing point, in the fourth bullet, using "plain" before "white/grey" items. I'll strike that from final rule set.

Is this targetted at the cube recipes for upgrading from normal to exceptional for Rare/Unique items?
Yes, that's what I had in mind. I think it's possible to upgrade some early uniques to exceptional, mainly weapon with a Sol. At least, I seem to recall having Sol drop in A5 Normal before. And rare weapon is a little more attainable, I think, and could be good merc upgrade. Either would likely be short-lived, so you'd need to balance benefit versus giving up crafting ingredients for later.

@Grisu I think the hitpower weapon also could be interesting, with same ED% as blood craft and frost nova for safety. And it should work in a Maul for relatively high base damage (not 100% because I haven't made one, but that's how I read the "blunt" weapon description). And it's a cheap rune to make multiple attempts.

@Norcim I wasn't 100% sure either, but just testing and can confirm amazon javelins are craftable with that recipe. Hopefully we have better luck than the test if we go that route (this zon is level 95):
Screenshot001.jpg
I'm personally debating between zon (LS/CS with jab as preferred build and ideally with 1H to allow shield, but likely dictated by what's vailable in A2 NM) and paladin (HF with holy shock backup most likely) to avenge my lost TWD entrant. I haven't Guardian'ed either, so I may end up entering both as an interesting way to see disparate crafting luck play out.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High