Time travellers, get in here!

I just started playing 1.09, have some questions.

There are no synergies in this patch, right? No respec?
What about monster resistances. Are there immunities or can I go for some weird static-orb type builds I've been reading about.

Also, it seems like I can't play hardcore right off the bat. Does the game not allow you to do that until you've completed normal mode?

I just started playing 1.09, have some questions.

There are no synergies in this patch, right? No respec?
What about monster resistances. Are there immunities or can I go for some weird static-orb type builds I've been reading about.

Also, it seems like I can't play hardcore right off the bat. Does the game not allow you to do that until you've completed normal mode?

@Zaphod:
1) In 1.09 there are immunities, I believe Hell Duriel is Immune to cold. I think in hell everyone also gets a blanket 50% resistance to physical. No synergies, no respecs.
2) No you cannot play HC off the bat, need to complete normal in SC first (or make a change in the registry)
3) I'd look up RobbyD's guide to 1.09 somewhere, will tell you what monsters to look out for (MSLE) and a bit more on resists etc. I think popular builds in 09 was the meteorb (actually meteor + orb) and bowzon with buriza.

I just started playing 1.09 :thumbup:
There are no synergies in this patch, right? No respec? Right and right.
What about monster resistances. Are there immunities or can I go for some weird static-orb type builds I've been reading about. There are immune monsters by 1.09. Static and orb are still great obviously, but if you want to be able to kill everything at a reasonable rate you'll need a backup skill. Most of my experience has been with classic, where branching into dual (or more) elements is usually not too good as you won't have the ridiculous +skill items LoD gets. In classic I think most cold sorcs would tele past most of the cold immune monsters when mfing/lvling. Might have some points in thunderstorm or something so they can static + telekinesis + storm down the occasional cold immune. I assume you'll be playing LoD anyway, so meteorb or firewall+orb or nova+orb or something will probably work nicely.

Also, it seems like I can't play hardcore right off the bat. Does the game not allow you to do that until you've completed normal mode? That's right.

Edit: I'm slow. :coffee:

If there are no synergies, we can go for as many skills as we want. 20 static, 20 orb, 20 fireball, how does that sound? Assuming a lvl 80 hero, that still leaves a bunch of points left over ( like I've put 4 in firebolt for levelling ).

If there are no synergies, we can go for as many skills as we want. 20 static, 20 orb, 20 fireball, how does that sound? Assuming a lvl 80 hero, that still leaves a bunch of points left over ( like I've put 4 in firebolt for levelling ).

yep, IIRC a common build for sorc in 1.09 was the tri-elemental sorc (20 Frozen Orb, 20 Meteor, 20 thunderstorm). I presume btw that you are playing expansion?

Damn, I forgot masteries. Still, static needs no masteries and cold spells only a little. Does static get stuff to below 50% life in 1.09? I heard it does.

I started with expansion, but I actually want to play classic hardcore. I guess I'll have to beat normal Baal before starting that one.

Damn, I forgot masteries. Still, static needs no masteries and cold spells only a little. Does static get stuff to below 50% life in 1.09? I heard it does.

I started with expansion, but I actually want to play classic hardcore. I guess I'll have to beat normal Baal before starting that one.

static has the same cap in 1.09 expansion. In classic (all versions of classic including 1.13d) static has no cap, it also has no cap in 1.07.

You could PM thy about the ability to start in hardcore without beating softcore first, doubt it would be a big deal all things considered and would save you some time. If you have atma it is pretty easy to create a character through it and check the hardcore box.

You could PM thy about the ability to start in hardcore without beating softcore first, doubt it would be a big deal all things considered and would save you some time. If you have atma it is pretty easy to create a character through it and check the hardcore box.

That is allowed, I forgot about that. You can also modify the registry, I believe there is a check box for allowing HC.

There are no synergies, my favorite sorc build from 1.09 was Frozen Orb/Nova/Firewall (The ones that we consider for a tri-elemental in 1.13 are powerful in 1.09 which is why they didn't get big synergy boosts in 1.10 forward)

For zons, Buriza all the way, and pierce could happen multiple times so 1 guided arrow could hit a target 5 or 6 times.

For barbs, in 1.09 masteries had critical strike bugged to proc all the time, so always double damage essentially.

Starting HC first can be done using atma, and I believe this is allowed on the forums.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High