Time travellers, get in here!

Barl1

Jun 10, 2005
I have a bit of an obsession with pre-LOD diablo II (1.0-1.06b). I play 1.03 most often because I have yet to find a set of 1.0 discs (my original 1.0 discs have been lost for some time). Attached are pictures of some of the better items I've found.

I also play 1.07 occasionally, rack running to find a Valkyrie Wing, but no luck yet.

What versions of Diablo II are most appealing to you? Which do you play all the time? Why do you play them? What are your best items from these earlier versions that are not droppable in the current patch?

1.09 is my poison. The only uniquely good items are Xxx SCs of Inertia, but accumulating those is not why I've been playing the patch for years. I've just enjoyed exploring the builds, exploiting the bugs, and getting level 99 characters. I do admit that accumulating runes for beta RWs has been a big part of it as well.

I've gotten 6 characters to 99 and have 2 more at 98 that I am working on getting to 99 before I start on my beta Bramble project. One of my lvl 99 chars got converted to 1.10a (MeteOrb for Andy running for +2 BKWB), and I've made a number of beta Crescent Moons, Deleriums, and CtA (12 and 15 BO), so Bramble will be my crowning beta RW project.

My last goal in 1.09 was to find a WF and use it with a Zon. She recently got to level 99.

Bump this for later.

I've played nearly solely classic d2 on and off for years now. Moved between mostly 1.06b, 1.09d and more recent 1.13d.

I don't have my laptop that has my old 1.06 chars on it for another week, so i'll try to remember to post in here with some pics.

Godly classic rares are so much more sexy than anything LoD can provide imo.

That's some nice stuff you have there. I have a very nice bowzon and lance barb. Decent static/orb sorc and some others. Most of my 1.06 time has really been looking for items to forward to 1.13 though.

I like 1.00 because Necromancers are my bread and butter (and air, and water, and I eat/sleep/breathe all things Necro!) So, I thoroughly enjoy scaling (and rather ridiculous radius) Corpse Explosion. I also have a Pike WW Barb in Softcore, which is GREAT fun. 1.00 is mostly reserved for gambling cheese to forward to modern day.

Then there's 1.07, and all the fancy stuff it comes with. After I get established in 1.07, my next project will be HF rushing for modern stuff, since the HC pool is pretty tiny, we could all afford the runes, but they just hardly exist.

As others have said, the primary focus on time travel is for cheese for 1.13. Outside of 1.00 Necros/Barbs, I haven't found enjoyment in actually playing any older patches. I like 1.13, I just want the goodies!

I was able to complete most of my goals in the versions I visited.

In 1.06b I wanted to gamble some nice boots. Best ones I got:

Code:
Beast Stalker 
Heavy Boots 
Defense: 5 
Durability: 70 of 70 
Required Level: 26 
Required Strength: 18 
Fingerprint: 0x228d4f14 
Item Level: 70 
Version: Legacy (pre 1.08) 
+30% Faster Run/Walk 
+20% Faster Hit Recovery 
+14 to Strength 
Cold Resist +33% 
Lightning Resist +42% 
Poison Resist +11%

Code:
Bitter Trample 
Light Plated Boots 
Defense: 14 
Durability: 18 of 18 
Required Level: 22 
Required Strength: 50 
Fingerprint: 0x90f0135f 
Item Level: 69 
Version: Legacy (pre 1.08) 
+20% Faster Hit Recovery 
+23% Enhanced Defense
+14 to Dexterity
+29 to Life 
Cold Resist +46%
Lightning Resist +49%

My current goal is to get some nice classic gloves also!

In 1.07 these two are my favorite ones:

Code:
Serrated Grand Charm of Maiming 
Grand Charm 
Required Level: 39 
Fingerprint: 0x4010fdf4 
Item Level: 90 
Version: Expansion 
+40 to Maximum Damage

Code:
[URL="http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/8448/kzb1.jpg"]Rose Branded War Scepter of the Apprentice [/URL]
War Scepter 
One Hand Damage: 10 - 17 
Required Level: 45 
Required Strength: 55 
Fingerprint: 0x474e4eb5 
Item Level: 99 
+3 to Combat Skills (Paladin Only) 
+10% Faster Cast Rate 
+150% Damage to Undead 
+3 to Conviction (Paladin Only) 
+3 to Fist of the Heavens (Paladin Only) 4 Sockets (0 used)

1.08 was hard, but managed to get my precious amulet and a nice bonus:

Code:
Highlord's Wrath 
Amulet 
Required Level: 65 
Fingerprint: 0x367a560a 
Item Level: 78 
+1 to All Skills 
+30% Faster Run/Walk 
Adds 5 - 20 Lightning Damage 
36% Deadly Strike (Based on Character Level) 
Lightning Resist +35%

Code:
Fine Small Charm of Inertia 
Small Charm 
Required Level: 27 
Fingerprint: 0x619a87f1 
Item Level: 90 
+5% Faster Run/Walk 
+3 to Maximum Damage 
+12 to Attack Rating

1.10a:

Code:
Bul-Kathos' Wedding Band 
Ring 
Required Level: 58 
Fingerprint: 0xdef60c83 
Item Level: 75 
Version: Expansion 1.10+ 
+2 to All Skills 
5% Life stolen per hit 
+48 to Life (Based on Character Level) 
+50 Maximum Stamina

And after several ones, froz-kyun rolled my precious in 1.10s:

Code:
Call to Arms 
War Scepter 
AmnRalMalIstOhm 
One Hand Damage: 35 - 60 
Required Level: 57 
Required Strength: 55 
Fingerprint: 0x4fd27688 
GUID: 0xcb00a26f 0x575b604b 0x0 
Item Level: 87 
+2 to All Skills 
+40% Increased Attack Speed 
256% Enhanced Damage 
+150% Damage to Undead 
Adds 5 - 30 Fire Damage 
7% Life stolen per hit 
Prevent Monster Heal 
+2 to Meditation (Paladin Only) 
+3 to Holy Shield (Paladin Only) 
+2 to Vigor (Paladin Only) 
+7 to Battle Command 
+15 to Battle Orders 
+11 to Battle Cry 
Replenish Life +12 
30% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items 5 Sockets (5 used) 
Socketed: Amn Rune 
Socketed: Ral Rune 
Socketed: Mal Rune 
Socketed: Ist Rune 
Socketed: Ohm Rune 

Amn Rune 
Required Level: 25 
GUID: 0xe981a0f2 0x48b822e2 0x0 
Weapons: 7% Life stolen per hit Armor: Attacker Takes Damage of 14 Shields: Attacker Takes Damage of 14  
Ral Rune 
Required Level: 19 
GUID: 0x409e4be5 0x4ffed67d 0x0 
Weapons: Adds 5 - 30 Fire Damage Armor: Fire Resist +30% Shields: Fire Resist +35%  
Mal Rune 
Required Level: 49 
GUID: 0x43553651 0x32e40811 0x0 
Weapons: Prevent Monster Heal Armor: Magic Damage Reduced by 7 Shields: Magic Damage Reduced by 7  
Ist Rune 
Required Level: 51 
GUID: 0xb427bbb8 0x3a2abbac 0x0 
Weapons: 30% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items Armor: 25% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items Shields: 25% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items  
Ohm Rune 
Required Level: 57 
GUID: 0x570e8bf3 0x41716f47 0x0 
Weapons: Enhanced Maximum Damage Armor: +5% to Maximum Cold Resist Shields: +5% to Maximum Cold Resist

Did you make this thread to let nulio show off?

I'm playing 1.07 at the moment, and have characters in 1.10a waiting for better equipment to run for a beta BKWB or two.

Currently playing 1.00 Duke'd my WW barb, currently grinding Act 4 NM before I go into hell.

For you folks playing pre 1.07, do you have classic discs? I feel like there's a way to play without em, like 1.07, but I really want to play 1.06 and don't have my discs anymore :(

I find the best way to get old discs is to look for people selling used copies of the game and ask them what version is printed on the discs.

For you folks playing pre 1.07, do you have classic discs? I feel like there's a way to play without em, like 1.07, but I really want to play 1.06 and don't have my discs anymore :(

I couldn't get any old patches to work without CDs. So, I hit up Ebay. Got 1.00 discs for $9.50 (I had a $10 coupon!) and got a 1.07 LoD disc for $7.

I do yes, you might be able to get it working using a version switcher, but you need a copy of your play disk.

Currently playing 1.00 Duke'd my WW barb, currently grinding Act 4 NM before I go into hell.

Awesome. I live in Australia in Adelaides timezone (Just moved from Sydney to Broken Hill a few weeks ago). Would you be keen on some 1.00 (or other classic) multiplayer some time?

Indeed, one of my best d2 moments ever. Still after some planning I think they won't see much use, up for trade atm.

I'll give you 20 prepatch sojs for them?

Nulio: the real reason you suck.. alot is 1.07 shako is the last item I want from that version, but I really really really hate changing maps and looking for racks. I would assume andy running in 1.08 for it would be just as time wasting, but at least it sounds like fun. Thanks for the idea! Now if 1.10a andy would just drop my rings...

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High