The Windows key, I HATE it!!!

krischan

Aug 17, 2003
The Windows key, I HATE it!!!

Once in a while I hit the left Windows key while playing when I meant to hit alt or shift, so the Windows screen pops to the foreground while nasty things happen to my character. This time it happened in WSK while being under severe fire of hell temptresses and OKs. When switching back, I just came in time to hear the death scream of my paladin.

Can anything be done about it, like disabling it somehow, just for Diablo? I would be fine with just alt-tab, I don't need the Windows key for that.

I've never used it for anything, I'd just remove it like zemaj :p

If you are playing sp and you hit it the game will pause unless you are in windowed mode, there's your real solution!

Re: The Windows key, I HATE it!!!

You could maybe remap it to some other key. Like page up/down, it's a pretty useless button

I could certainly change the keyboard setting (it's somewhere in the registry), as I already did with the caps lock key, but I just want to disable it for Diablo and I will NOT pop it out of the keyboard :).

On Windows, it opens the start menu, just like the right Windows key... hmm yes, that makes it useless.

Like zemaj recommends, I pull mine off. The left one that is. Left windows key is worse than useless.

If you miss the feel of the key, you can place something of just the right size and shape into the right place to stop the physical connection. Alternatively, you can take a file/sandpaper/knife and cut the post that presses down the rubber membrane, also severing the connection.

I use win-r = run all the time so I can't pop it off. The way I hold my hand when I play diablo I never seem to accidentally hit it though. (Thumb idles on alt, pinky idles on shift)

I did some googling and found a couple programs that can handle it:
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/WKey-Disabler.shtml
http://majorgeeks.com/WinKey_Killer_d304.html

I haven't tried either of them, so use at your own risk of course, but the first one seems to be the most stripped down to just disable the Win key while the program is running, then re-enables it when you quit the program. I've never really had a problem with the Win key, I've always had a problem with pressing Alt+Esc! ...somehow!

I'm surprised it's either that or using the registry. I thought there was some way to do that within the shortcut settings for the app you want to run, but apparently not. Maybe I'm thinking of disabling shortcuts for DOS programs, and quite likely in an earlier version of Windows (XP maybe?)

EDIT: And here's another: http://winkill.clangen.org/

I have no problem with the ESC key and the F keys. It might happen once every year that I hit F4 (my TP tome key on all characters) while pressing alt (so the game quits immediately), but that's not catastrophic.

I'm left-handed, so things are a bit different for me. I could get used to the numeric pad, but I'm not really motivated to change my habits after 10 years of playing that game.

It's not that, it's a weird combination of always holding down Alt to "find ze goodies", and then opening my inventory. I always dismiss subscreens with Escape, so I'm running around with my inventory open, holding down Alt for "ze goodies", then I want to close my inventory. BAM!!

I dismiss sub-screens with space.

I tried using escape for a while so that I could use space as a big fat rejuv button, but I kept bringing up the menu when I didn't mean to.

Play in windowed mode! :D

Peace

Finally somebody made that suggestion :).

That's no option for me because I don't like the things which happen when the mouse pointer leaves the window while moving it wildly and making hasty clicks. I use windowed play when muling, however, with a sandbox program.

The 1337 koreans just remove the windows button from the keyboard. That way they will not go to desktop during sc matches.

I like windowed mode on characters that don't use teleport, but on sorcs and teleporters I always end up clicking off the screen.

Maximise the Windowed mode then!

Full screen but still in a window. No problem.

Peace

I suggested playing in windowed mode in my first post. I also suggested playing sp, which is probably why you didn't notice it ;)

Yes, I stopped reading after I saw "if you are playing sp..." :crazyeyes:

Well, to be honest, I didn't pay enough attention.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High