The tediousness of 1.07 - The beginning of a not-so-new adventure

Re: The tediousness of 1.07 - The beginning of a not-so-new adventure

I had firewall/.... sorcs in 1.09, but although it works I never really liked firewall itself. And hydra is the only sorceress' skill that works like assassin's traps. It is marginally needed 'cause of almighty CM, but it can still be useful.

I guess I'll try different sorc builds when I get some twinking stuff. Good thing is one can always go with FO/CM and be a fast killer, and have enough remaning points to try some other ideas.

(maybe I'm disliking 1.07 orb mechanics so much because my sorc is lvl 37 and in act III NM, so orb ain't doing enough dmg :scratcheshisheadwondering: )

I haven't really noticed... what's different with 1.07 orb mechanics?

Before 1.10, if the ball touches a monster, then the entire attack stops doing damage.

You cannot be right next to someone and orb through them, it will do no damage to anyone! You have to aim to the side.

It is very annoying because it means you need enough space between you and the monsters, and between the mobs themselves.

Id say it gets very easy with some practice - theres always some free directions to throw the orb and if not you have the almighty teleport. I can`t remember when was the last time the aiming of orb annoyed me.

I'm finding that Orb works best if you static ~4 times, cast Orb then spam static again while the Orb flies towards the mob. That way most monsters go down when hit by a single shard so they are less likely to interfere with the Orb - particularly with critters like Flayers where you have large fast moving mobs.

On a different topic - Racks! Or more Rack Stability...

So I'm now racking in LK Hell and I've managed to find a rack that drops Balrog skins almost all the time :D

But on the run I also pop two weapon racks, in a sequence Weapon Rack1 (WR1)-Armor Rack-Weapon Rack2 (WR2).

Now the Armor Rack *always* drops a Balrog Skin (not that I'm complaining). Even with a fair amount of deviation due to mis-aimed teleports or a teleport too many. Even whether I pop WR1 or not makes little difference, nor does what the WR1 rack drops as long as I follow vaguely the right route.

But the weapon racks...

WR1 drops: Hyperion Javelins, Ogre Axes and Ogre Mauls even with apparently identical routes.

WR2 mainly drops: Scourges, Runic Talons, Highland Blades and Fascias but also sometimes a Colossal Swords (I now have two eth ones :jig:) or Greater Polearms (no eth yet).

I'm not too bothered as 90% of the time both weapon racks drop elite weapons and I'm building up a nice collection of Eths and now have a 1.07 IK Maul (no sockets???) but I'm just curious if others have found some racks to be much more stable than others.

I've found racks with super stability (my BA rack spawns BAs regardless of what types of monster spawns around it), and others that change just with a slight difference in route..

Good to find out I'm not just spawning freaky maps :)

On another rack related question:

Can any Set/Unique (on a rackable item) be racked from LK? Or would I have to look elsewhere for, say, a Grandfather?

If so can someone please point me in the right direction on where I can find which areas to rack for what :)

IIRC, grandfather can be racked in LK. I think only the cranium basher is unLK-able (nihlathak temple should do the trick). The 1.07 guide(or the addendum) should have alist of qlvl for all the sought-after uniques.

Mm... 1.07 Grandfather... I really need to get my *** off and get that one. It looks soooo sexy.

Imagine a Barb with max Battle Orders, 1.07 Harley, 2 1.07 Grandfathers.

Imagine a Barb with max Battle Orders, 1.07 Harley, 2 1.07 Grandfathers.

You forgot the 1.07 Arkaine's Valour on there... and you could move everything forward to make a Wolfbarb too... I wonder if 15k life is possible. :p

Thanks PFSS & udgard for the Q&A on what can drop from LK racks - as I was catching up on this thread this morning, that precise question was in my head... and I just had to read ahead to see that I see you guys were one step ahead of me. :grin:

The main problem would be finding a use for such a barb, the damage would be pretty unimpressive... Hm, how about GF/Harley/Arkaine's on a Barbmerc, though?

Speaking of which, this just dropped:

Drop

ID

:cloud9::cloud9::cloud9::cloud9:

And it only took ~400 runs...

Nice one! But before you reroll the map for other racks, you might want to pick up a second one, because AK is arguably the best armor for both you and your merc. I personally did indeed rack two, back when I was time travelling.

Quite hard to see how it can be the best armor for the merc as something (not even talking anout godly 1.07 crafts) stuffed with Sols can be much better than that (+Vitality doesnt work on mercs). But you might want to pick up second to have one in 1.07 and forward the other one to later versions.

The main problem would be finding a use for such a barb, the damage would be pretty unimpressive...

If one were to do ~40,000 runs on a Colossus Blade rack you would theoretically end up with two 1.07 Ethereal Grandfathers... If you brought them forward you would get the buggy additional 50% boost to their maximum damage. Now if you could somehow get two Zod runes you could e-bug those swords with Atma and then put a 40/15 in one of them and an Ohm in the other for some decent damage :D

Of course it would be one of the most disproportionately expensive builds in terms of both wealth and time investment that anyone would ever make...

If one were to do ~40,000 runs on a Colossus Blade rack you would theoretically end up with two 1.07 Ethereal Grandfathers... If you brought them forward you would get the buggy additional 50% boost to their maximum damage. Now if you could somehow get two Zod runes you could e-bug those swords with Atma and then put a 40/15 in one of them and an Ohm in the other for some decent damage :D

Of course it would be one of the most disproportionately expensive builds in terms of both wealth and time investment that anyone would ever make...

Since Grandfather is indestructible, you'll have a hard time racking an ethereal one :D

Ok, report time.

My sorc got to lvl 57 in last couple days, and my disappointment with orb almost vanished. The problem was that I had advanced too far in NM, with orb lvl 7 or 8. Now the orb is lvl 23 and CM 15, and with liberal use of static (maxed too), no problems occur.

With no MF on her and no racking, she's pretty lucky, got one Ko rune, Mavina's belt, 3 parts of Sigon's, Visceratuant, and some less useful sets.

Just killed Hefasto, and forge dropped Sol. :(
His first spawn was impossible to kill. Merc couldn't stand 1 hit, and Hefasto spawned with spectral hit, LE and teleportation. Static and orb couldn't take 1/4 of his life before he TP-ed and healed himself. On 2nd try he was easy with extra fast, extra strong and some similar stuff, he went down in 5 seconds.

Well, I'm getting really good at this, hardest thing is keeping merc alive, and always teleporting him away from crowds. But when I keep an eye on him, he does a good job of keeping mobs occupied until static and orb finish the job. It's act V merc, because I find them most durable, with crazy life regeneration rates. When he's lvl 75+ I think he'll be next to impossible to kill.

Surprisingly, hardest monsters for my sorc to kill are lightning immune and lightning enchanted (of course, spectral hit are THE hardest for any elemental build, probably). Suppose it proves that static is great skill, maybe even the best sorc skill in 1.07.

Well Barbie has now made it past the throes of Diablo. It was a ridiculous fight. My merc didnt last anywhere in the CS let alone against the big guy so my AR was shot. I was only hitting him once every 6-7 hits, even with constant battle crying. Pretty much ended up runnin to town about ten times to rebuy rejuvs. I did get an isenhart shield out of him at least, better than nothing. Well see how Baal and some points in frenzy make up for AR losses.

Don`t know your setup and weapon(s) but if you can - Eth it and forget about AR problems.

Ive wanted to but Im going frenzy and havent found a decent socketed item to throw my eth into. Then find another eth and another item to throw that one into. That is unless it only takes one eth filled item even for dual wielding? Anyone know how that works out? Might just have to hope to find one good sword to try it out on first. Oh and does life leech work on mercs? I threw a skull in on a big stick and it made no difference at all

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High