The "Six of One, Half-Dozen of Another" Tournament der=0

Ouch, I feel very silly. SickSixSheik is no more. I had no problems cruising through act 2 on players 8. The tomb had Unravellers and Apparitions, my least favorite combo, but there was no problem there and Duriel dropped without a fuss at all. Act 3 was no problem, I was cruising through the Flayer Jungle, thinking way far ahead of where I was (when I get to act 4, should I shop for a wand with Lower Resist or Decrepify on it to face Diablo, etc.) and figuring normal was going to be an absolute cakewalk. Boom, I was hurrying and got ahead of my skeleton pack too much, was swarmed and chilled and then out of potions and then very dead. Totally mortifying to die in normal with a build that is so ridiculously safe. I had a bunch of stat points that I hadn't even allocated so this was a very sloppy play but I wasn't thinking and then I was dead. I do think that a skelemancer has a huge advantage in this tourney (20 in RS, 20 in SM, plenty of options after that with one-point wonders available on both wands and heads) but I won't be the one to demonstrate that! Good luck to everyone remaining and I'm still blushing about how badly I messed up. Gear at the time of death: +3 clay golem +1 bone armor +1 amp level 6 req wand, +1 amp head with 6 lev requirement, I think, Stealth breast plate with strength 30 requirement, a ring with +6 mana +8 life or so, a plain sash with 12 durability, and a rare hat with some multiple of 6 durability, I believe. I hadn't decided which skills to invest in besides RS and SM- possibly either max Dim Vision for safety, or max Corpse Explosion for Hell, or go Bone Spear. Anyway, I should have been taking this more seriously and stopping from time to time to sort out gear and stats better but I messed up!

Good luck to everyone remaining!

Code:
[highlight][U]Forum Name    Character Name   Class     Score      Last WP                   [/U][/highlight]
PurpleLocust   SickSixSheik   Necro      12 (RIP) A3 Flayer Jungle
atigdng        Saturn         Sorceress  6        A2 Sewers 
Delreich       Hexagoon       Necro      6        A2 Lut Golein
Skunkbelly     Six            Paladin    0        A1 Rogue Camp
zarfen         Sofia          Assasin    0        A1 Rogue Camp
Smilts         Slitts         Druid      0        A1 Rogue Camp
Hawkdale       Stew           Druid      0 (RIP)  A1 Rogue Camp
Wolron         SixDeaths      Necro      0        A1 Rogue Camp
Mursilis       Devils_Advoc   Sorceress  0        A1 Rogue Camp
GooberGrape    Nikki_Sixx     Druid      0        A1 Rogue Camp
LesClaypool    LesClaypool    Amazon     0        A1 Rogue Camp

smilts said:
I have a Question it says in the rule you can only place skills points when there is a multiple of 6 then you must pluce them all rite then. And thats confusing do you mean every 6 lvls you must put all points in or could I wait till lvl 12 or 18 then put them all in?

I took it as saying pretty clearly that you have to invest all of your available skill points instantly upon gaining any levels that are multiples of six. So right when you get to 6, invest them all, right when you get to 12, invest them all, and so on. OK, you can probably wait until the end of that battle, but basically immediately!

Note: having to invest all of them immediately upon gaining level 6 is what was tangling up GooberGrape's druid plans a couple of posts back, BTW.

Hmm yea read that just now the prob with druids is builds thatare good and safe are pretty much single tree, makes for spending 6 points very not helpful.

@ smilts: yep, that's the way the cookie crumbles.

@ GG: YES, if an item doesn't have a multiple of six, but you add a socket-filler to it with a multiple of six, and the FINAL RESULT has a multiple of six somewhere in the description, then that's perfectly fine.

Ah at last I like my coockies crumbled in milk so to keep from wasting points Ill just have to be a fury wolf

Devils_Advocate basically cruised through most of Act1 last night, at p8 of course. It is quite amusing to be spamming charged bolts everywhere, chugging blue pots along the way. One sticking point was the Underground path where she encountered a boss pack of extra fast mishappen. Thankfully there was another way around them.

Nothing of interest has fallen, I believe she has a single rare item, everything else is white. One never really realizes how important a belt is until you can't find one to wear. Or at least one that doesn't clash with her outfit :rolleyes: Took me until the Outer Cloister before she found one that met the requirements. Devils_Advocate is taking a siesta at the Inner Cloister for now, planning her assault on Andariel's stronghold.

Code:
[highlight][U]Forum Name    Character Name   Class     Score      Last WP                   [/U][/highlight]
Mursilis       Devils_Advoc   Sorceress  0        A1 Inner Cloister
GooberGrape    Nikki_Sixx     Druid      0        A1 Rogue Camp

Code:
GooberGrape    Nikki_Sixx     Druid      18       A4 Pandemonium Fortress
Mursilis       Devils_Advoc   Sorceress  0        A1 Inner Cloister

Nikki_Sixx is rocking the house. The 10 points into Ravens isn't too bad, everything is blind and the birds actually deal a tiny bit of damage. The massive crowd control, 75% block, 100-point Cyclone Armor, and over 200 HP makes me more or less invincible. I could tank anything Mephisto threw at me, and I especially loved the TINK when I blocked his Ice Ball of Doom.

I've been hiding behind my merc and tossing poison bombs, but very soon I will learn Tornado, and start contributing to the damage. So far, so good. I think this is the safest HC build I've played.

-GG

This tourney looks great and I'd like to join the tourney! I have a fire sorc in mind and the name will be Hextress.

One question about the multiple of six requirement for equipment: for durability, there are two numbers (12 out of 32, for instance). Is it OK to wear something that doesn't meet the multiple of 6 condition anywhere except the current durability? If the durability drops, I would have to take it off, but otherwise is that OK?

(my first tourney, so I am running off to post an intro thread!)

Devils_Advocate finally decided to take on Andariel, which ended up maybe not being the best of ideas. She has a total of 5% Poison resist and 25% poison reduction and that's all of her resistances. Needless to say facing Andariel was more than a little hairy. She must have run back to town to resurect her merc and cure all poison effects over two dozen times. There were definitely a handful of those times she was running for her life with under 10 health trying to get back to the portal :undecided:

Andariel did eventually fall (and dropped nothing). Moving on to Act 2 it was far easier, thanks to aquiring Chain Lightning of course. Devils_Advocate has stopped at the Far Oasis in preperation to tackle the Maggot Lair.

On a side note I'm really feeling the mulitple of 6 requirement for equipment. My character might as well be running naked (minues the staff) for all the good her equipment is doing her. Hopefully something nice drops soon or I may be in a bit of trouble.

Code:
Mursilis       Devils_Advoc   Sorceress  6        A2 Far Oasis
WestXylophone  Hextress       Sorceress  0        A1 Rogue Camp

PS: Added WestXylophone (welcome by the way!) :wave:

My guess on your question is that no you can't use the armor. The second it drops durability to 11 you are in violation of the rules of the tournament and you can't possiblity know when that is going to happen. To play it safe I'd suggest using an armor with the maximum durability is a factor of 6 instead.

WestXylophone said:
One question about the multiple of six requirement for equipment: for durability, there are two numbers (12 out of 32, for instance). Is it OK to wear something that doesn't meet the multiple of 6 condition anywhere except the current durability? If the durability drops, I would have to take it off, but otherwise is that OK?

No, that wouldn't be permitted... it's too easy to forget that the item's durability might have changed. If repairing an item would cause it to fall out of compliance with the rules (or if damage or use of the item would, i.e. in the case of charges) then it can't be used. Needs to be a permanent stat.

skunkbelly said:
No, that wouldn't be permitted... it's too easy to forget that the item's durability might have changed. If repairing an item would cause it to fall out of compliance with the rules (or if damage or use of the item would, i.e. in the case of charges) then it can't be used. Needs to be a permanent stat.
Hokey-doke, that makes sense. That saves me the trouble of figuring out how to partially repair items- I think that if you don't have enough gold on you, you can repair things partway, but that of course would be a big hassle, maybe even setting all the stash gold on the ground before visiting Charsi.

skunkbelly said:
SPECIAL BONUSES:

6. Sorry, only five bonuses. But it looked funny not having a number 6 :cool:

The obvious thing is to give six extra points for running the entire difficulty level on /players 6 :grin:

I'm thinking about joining this if/as soon as my Thespian bites the dust.

-Jason

Skunkbelly, I have a question about the rules. While it wasn't listed I wanted to see if rerunning areas was allowed. For example, even though I've passed Andariel would I be able to rerun her multiple times for drops (assuming I find posion resist gear)?

I wasn't sure if that was a normal tournament rule I should already know or if it has to be specifically listed for each indivdiual tournament.

Thanks!

The Infector of Souls is tough.

He and his buddies have that "Let's stack 6 Inferno effects on him" attack that wipes my entire Cyclone Armor and clips my red ball instantly. That's almost 400 fire damage in less than a second. Crap.

This is going to be a lot harder than I thought.

-GG

Well it looks like I need to enter this tournament, how could I pass up a skunky tourny? ;)

Code:
WestXylophone  Hextress       Sorceress  0        A1 Rogue Camp
Kool69         Valeriya       Assassin   0        A1 Rogue Camp

Code:
WestXylophone  Hextress       Sorceress  0        A1 Black Marsh

No scoring yet but Hextress is doing fine in Act 1. Starting out was bleh since the starter staff doesn't meet the "6" requirement and punching is not zippy for leveling, but now it is good with Fireball and Firebolt going and I have been doing countess runs. Now I have the runes for Stealth and Leaf but I don't have the gold to afford most staves yet so I need to save up loads before I go shopping for a staff to make Leaf in.

Code:
GooberGrape    Nikki_Sixx     Druid      24       A5 Crystalline Passage
WestXylophone  Hextress       Sorceress  0        A1 Black Marsh

Parked outside Ancients. I just hit level 30, so my skills totally rock. Gonna do some Meph runs. That is all for now.

-GG

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High