The "Six of One, Half-Dozen of Another" Tournament der=0

Code:
[highlight][U]Forum Name    Character Name   Class     Score      Last WP                   [/U][/highlight]
WestXylophone  Hextress       Sorceress  78       A2 Far Oasis (H)
Delreich       Hexagoon       Necro      60       A5 Harrogath (NM)
Wolron         SixDeaths      Necro      36       A1 Rogue Camp (NM)
Docturnal      Docturnal_VI   Necro      30       A5 WSK2
atigdng        Saturn         Sorceress   6       A2 Sewers
Skunkbelly     Six            Paladin     0       A1 Rogue Camp
Smilts         Slitts         Druid       0       A1 Rogue Camp
LesClaypool    LesClaypool    Amazon      0       A1 Rogue Camp
Kool69         Valeriya       Assassin    0       A1 Rogue Camp
zarfen         Sofia          Assassin    0       A1 Rogue Camp

Dead/Retired:
Mursilis       Devils_Advoc   Sorceress  96 (RIP) A5 Frigid Highlands (H)
GooberGrape    Nikki_Sixx     Druid      60 (RIP) A5 Frozen Tundra (NM)
skoolbus       sixty_six      Assassin   42 (RIP) A2 Dry Plains (NM)
Ohomemgrande   Seven          Sorceress  12 (RIP) A3 Durance 2
PurpleLocust   SickSixSheik   Necro      12 (RIP) A3 Flayer Jungle
Hawkdale       Stew           Druid       0 (RIP) A1 Rogue Camp
Act 2 is going pretty well and I got the staff and the amulet. There are a lot of fire immunes in Act 2! I gave up on trying to get to Radament. There are so many fire immune skeletons down there and the skeletons are unleechable for the merc that it was just way too slow going. I thought about it a lot and decided the skill point just isn't worth it. I had several NDEs just trying to find the level 2 WP (teleporting into packs and nasty mods on ranged bosses) so I will abandon that quest for now. I'll press on into the palace and arcane sanctuary and hopefully that will go OK.

SixDeaths has killed Andariel and moved on to NM Act 2. She is at level 52 and looking forward to getting two more levels and a bunch of skill points to assign. I expect she will kill Radament and get that point along with the six she will acquire naturally. Still on P8 with no major difficulties. ANdariel was a pain for the merc, the golem and the skeletons, but she finally wore down and succombed to 6D's bone spear.

Code:
[highlight][U]Forum Name    Character Name   Class     Score      Last WP                   [/U][/highlight]
WestXylophone  Hextress       Sorceress  78       A2 Far Oasis (H)
Wolron         SixDeaths      Necro      42       A2 Lut Gholein (NM)

Dead/Retired:

Code:
WestXylophone  Hextress       Sorceress  84       A3 Kurast Docks (H)

Dead/Retired:
Into Act 3! The end part of Act 2 went quickly- the Arcane Sanctuary was OK and I was lucky to have a good mix of monsters in the correct tomb- no Unravellers and no fire-immunes. I teleported straight through the Palace in record time and Fireye wasn't even in the room with the red portal, so I didn't see him. Duriel was exciting and my merc drank 2 columns of full rejuvs but that was enough! Thawing potions are great and we each drank about about a dozen before going in as a precaution, though the battle wasn't that long! Now we'll see how Act 3 goes! I have great FHR and FCR and the Energy Shield is still working great so I've gotten braver about teleing out of danger into the unknown ahead and it hasn't put me into a terrible situation yet, but I've been lucky so far! I did kill bunches of monsters when I there weren't any fire immunes to get in the way, so now I'm up to 77 and will hopefully get to invest some skill points soon! I decided that my sixth skill will be static (the first five are Firebolt, Fireball, Fire Mastery, Telekinesis and Teleport) since my merc is having a harder and harder time with the fire immunes and I'd love to be able to help him out more.

I forgot to say earlier that Andy dropped Trang-Oul's armour, which was pretty decent I thought, even though I have no use for it. Duriel dropped a bunch of terrible rares, the green breast plate and Sky Strike, so that was no t awe-inspiring.

Code:
WestXylophone  Hextress       Sorceress  84       A3 Lower Kurast (H)

Dead/Retired:
Act 3 is going well so far. I've made it to Lower Kurast and gotten two pieces of the flail. I was worried about the swarming flayers especially in the Flayer Dungeon but those were fine since they aren't fire immune, just the shaman are. The flayers and rat men clump up so a few fireballs kills them in piles. There have been a couple of dangerous bosses but as soon as it looks like trouble I've been able to tele out and run to town or some other safe place!

Just six days to go! Good luck to all of you who are continuing the quest.

SixDeaths has finished off Duriel and moved on to the Kurast Docks. Still playing at P8, but only clearing what needs to be cleared to do all the quests. Nothing unusual was found during act 2. A unique kite shield was dropped by Duriel, but it will probably not be used.

SixDeaths is at Level 56, so it will be quite a while before he will get to apply more skills. Certainly before Diablo, but probably not before Mephisto. The extra bone spear synergy points would be helpful.

Code:
WestXylophone  Hextress       Sorceress  84       A3 Lower Kurast (H)
Wolron         SixDeaths      Necro      48       A3 Kurast Docks (NM)

Dead/Retired:

Code:
WestXylophone  Hextress       Sorceress  90       A4 Pandemonium Fortress (H)
Wolron         SixDeaths      Necro      48       A3 Kurast Docks (NM)

Dead/Retired:
Hextress has killed Mephisto! There were some difficulties getting there- the Council took ages since I was supercareful and led them apart. And the exploding dolls along the way were very scary. There was also a pack of fast Urdars there that I had very hard time getting away from alive. I am SO happy I decided to personalize Bloodfists for the FHR- I'm sure that save me at least three times. I didn't feel good about it when I did it since I was thinking I would rather have Magefists but the FHR is a lifesaver. I'm not sure of the breakpoints but I have 30 FHR from the gloves, 25 from my armor (Stealth Leather armor from A1 normal, still!) and 24 from my belt- I'll go look that up. I just went and did, it's 8 frames to recover and the breakpoint for 7 frames is at 86, which is only a little bit away, so I think I should swap my charms around or try to gamble some better "six" boots to reach that. I got to level 78 just after the Council so I finally invested in Static, which I should have done ages ago! As in, 72 levels ago! It helps a ton with fire immunes and made Meph go pretty well.

SixDeaths has five left. Unfortunately, in this tournament only one is allowed. So how did it happen? Well, he was in the flayer jungle. He had just found the way point and was going in the general direction of Lower Kurast (Still quite a ways to travel before getting there). A bunch of flayers including a boss started to rip into the four skeletons, the golem and the merc. SixDeaths was safely behind them and not too worried. The golem died, the skeletons started to fall and SixDeaths began to get worried, so Wolron began clicking on the retreat path back to the way point. Well, SixDeaths could not move! A few seconds later, all of his partners were dead. Wolron kept clicking, but it was as though there was something in the way. Finally, before Wolron could get his head together and cast a portal, it was too late:sad2: .

I believe that this was something that I have experienced before under less dangerous situations. I have occasionally found that I could not move in a particular direction. The ground in that direction looked empty (or occasionally had a dead corpse there), but it was as though there was an obstacle there. The usual solution is to go around the invisible obstacle, or, when the obstacle was in a doorway or on a bridge, cast a portal. Upon returning from town, the invisible obstacle has always been gone and progress could continue. Has anyone else experienced something like this??

Code:
WestXylophone  Hextress       Sorceress  90       A4 Pandemonium Fortress (H)

Dead/Retired:
Wolron         SixDeaths      Necro      48       A3 Flayer Jungle (NM)

SixDeaths has five left. Unfortunately, in this tournament only one is allowed. So how did it happen? Well, he was in the flayer jungle. He had just found the way point and was going in the general direction of Lower Kurast (Still quite a ways to travel before getting there). A bunch of flayers including a boss started to rip into the four skeletons, the golem and the merc. SixDeaths was safely behind them and not too worried. The golem died, the skeletons started to fall and SixDeaths began to get worried, so Wolron began clicking on the retreat path back to the way point. Well, SixDeaths could not move! A few seconds later, all of his partners were dead. Wolron kept clicking, but it was as though there was something in the way. Finally, before Wolron could get his head together and cast a portal, it was too late:sad2: .

I believe that this was something that I have experienced before under less dangerous situations. I have occasionally found that I could not move in a particular direction. The ground in that direction looked empty (or occasionally had a dead corpse there), but it was as though there was an obstacle there. The usual solution is to go around the invisible obstacle, or, when the obstacle was in a doorway or on a bridge, cast a portal. Upon returning from town, the invisible obstacle has always been gone and progress could continue. Has anyone else experienced something like this??
Sorry to hear about your death! I lost a necro ages ago in this tourney due to stupid overconfidence, unlike you... I thought a necro would be sure to win but it seems certain that a sorc will now, with only such a short time left, so I was wrong on that! I still think a six-skill necro could be very safe and complete the game but I'll have to prove it myself on my own time sometime.

I know what you mean about unseen obstacles and I have also had to use the TP method of getting through a bottleneck with an mysterious blockage. For me it doesn't happen very often- more often, I have the "Charge and get stuck bug" happen than the unseen obstacle near a narrow opening. I don't ever remember it happening in combat, though. Almost always, it happens after a battle going through a door or some narrow constriction. It may be that it happens more often than I notice but that a sublte mouse wiggle from combat avoids it somehow, so you don't notice as much.

Oooh, sorry to hear about your death, Wolron! You were storming through nightmare like nobody's business- that's a weird way to die and not a very glorius end! Kind of like stubbing your toe and falling down stairs.

Nice job, congrats :thumbsup:

Only a few days left, think you can pass me by then?

Thanks, but, no, I won't pass you, that's for sure! I concede! Things have just gotten too scary for poor Hextress and there is no way I'll pass you! Even the monsters that aren't fire immune are getting more fire resistant and the killing speed has gone down lots. I don't see how I could possibly clear the Chaos Sanctuary, nevermind kill the Ancients. That would be beyond suicidal. I do think I can get through open areas without killing many things pretty well with the FCR teleport, the Energy Shield and good FHR. I even did OK teleporting into a mana burn boss pack meaning that I didn't die and I didn't run out of purples. Not that I want to do that again if I can avoid it!

Well, congrats to everyone who played in this tournament. I had great fun chatting and competing with all of you and hope everyone else enjoyed themselves as well.

Special applause to WestXylophone for being the highest ranked person left alive :thumbsup:

And of course thanks to Skunkbelly for hosting the tournament.

All hail Mursilis, the Victor!!! :flowers:

And good work, everyone! Watch for a sequel one of these days...

Great job Mursilis! And thanks for making the tourney, Skunkbelly!

I had a great time and learned a lot in my first tournament. I have a new appreciation for Energy Shield, even a low-level one, and much more confidence in FCR and FHR making what I thougt was suicidal teleporting not so suicidal. And that was without Frozen Armor, which I normally depend on alot.

And I found Tal's Ammy in Hardcore! I still need the armor but it would be great to have the full set in HC and that is closer that it used to be!

Congrats, Mursilis and West Xylophone! Skunkbelly, thanks for hosting yet another great tourney that I couldn't get involved in ... I love reading them, and thanks to all the participants for such interesting reads.

@Wolron: I had that very thing happen to me in one of the Kurasts a few days ago. There was no visible reason why I couldn't go the way I wanted to go. I had it happen a long time ago on Bnet in the A3 jungles, too ... it was as though there were an invisible force field. But I blamed that on the unstable realms.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High