The Passive Aggressive Tournament

I've also got a large jewelry collection building up. Should I transmute them all now in the hopes of getting some more MF gear? Right now I only have a single Felicitous Ring.

The best option for now is to wait for clvl 24. This way the jewelery can get ilvl=18, allowing for good resist prefixes (Cobalt/Coral/Garnet) along with the standard MF potential. My ring which Calabi is still wearing (30% CR, 15% MF) was cubed just before normal Duriel (clvl 27/28), so the potential is there! After this I just continued to cube them as I found them. I think there is another benchmark that technically is better to wait for once you have all the slots filled with decent jewelery (clvl 54?), but you'll need someone a bit more knowledgable for that. *cough* @jiansonz *cough*.

--

Calabi picked up at the Cold plains WP and noticed the Cave right next to it. We decided to dash in and clear that first. Nothing notable, but it took a LONG time. Most of the time was spent babysitting Kasim since we were still in full MF gear and on /players 5. My goal is to try and do all of Hell (minus Act bosses who will be /p3, and Ancients on /p1) on this setting. Coldcrow was accompanied by 4 Archer boss packs in the vicinity, so that was fun. Luckily they were just far enough apart that we could deal with them seperately. Coldcrow herself was seperated and dealt with accordingly. Level 2 greeted us with a double skelly boss pack. The terrain, however, made this a cakewalk.

So after that was done, Calabi got to thinking. This is Hell, it's the last chance she has to clear all of these areas, why spend it aggravatingly grinding with full MF gear? What's the point of finding all those fun toys if we're not going to use them? It was time to show those monsters what she was truy made of! (Also, she doesn't want to die in full MF gear, when some extra safety could have saved her:rolleyes:)

We figured this was a good time to give a more in-depth run-down of what she looks like (and we're going to blatantly and shamelessly steal the format from jiansonz' post. Thanks jian! :p).

Current stats:
PJHNzt7.jpg

That feels better. :) All remaining stat points will be going to vitality, as she now has enough strength(minus 1, but a charm will sort that out)/dex to equip any elite sword.

Primary Gear
* Artisan's(3 PTopaz=72%) Great Helm of the Fox(+10 life)
* Ocher(12%LR) Sharkskin Boots of Luck(33%)
* Cobalt(30%CR) Ring of Chance(15%)
* Doom Touch rare ring (see screenie above)
* Chromatic (26@res) Amulet of Luck(30%)
* Garnet(28%FR) Gauntlets of Fortune(24%)
* Goldwrap Battle Belt (53% gold find)
* 'Lionheart' Gothic Plate (Why a Gothic Plate you may ask? Well, she's been wearing one(see Kasim's armour) almost her whole journey, and it just felt right.)
* Wailing(100% flee) Balanced Knife of Meteor
* 'Rhyme' Bone Shield

Switch
* 'Humongous' Unique Giant Axe from way back in A1NM. It is used for the CB.

Charms are a smattering of resists mostly, with some MF and +life mixed in. Nothing too noteworthy except a perfect 8%@res large charm.

Kasim the Blessed Aim Guard
* 4-Topaz Gothic Plate(96%MF)
* Tal Rasha's Horadric Crest (10%LL, 15@res)
* 'Insight' Bec-de-Corbin (253%ED, +2 Critical Strike)

Calabi instantly felt much more durable, and she can even tank semi-reliably now. She still stays away from the scary monsters, but it's nice to be able to run in with her axe if she needs to and not feel super fragile. Resists on axe switch are 51/55/52/45. Now that Kasim has some leech (and 58%@res) he is WAY more durable, which means basically no more babysitting, and a much healthier bank account. On Kasim's kills she is still sporting a very healthy 355% MF. :) As we travel through Hell and the monsters get tougher, we will continue to swap out MF gear as needed for some added durability mostly in the form of +life/vitality (I'm looking at you, Peasant Crown!).

We also decided to bite the bullet and spend our 13 saved up skill points to max the valk. What a difference! This gal just does not die, and she kills things too! Notable to mention that with Kasim's aura and maxed Penetrate, she rarely, if ever, misses. She has really provided alot of stability to our group. The *only* downside is that Kasim doesn't get all the kills for his extra MF, but that's a small price to pay for the added durability to the whole party.

After the gear upgrades, there really isn't much more to mention about the journey. Progress is now much smoother and safer, and we were able to clear up to and including the Stony Field. Next time Calabi will see if she can free the old bird from his cage one last time.

Notable finds:
- 'Hexfire' Shamshir (Okay seriously, this game wanted me to play an echantress really badly)
- Eth 'Steeldriver' Great Maul
- We have only seen only one Elite sword so far. It was a socketed Champion Sword (Calabi's dream type), but unfortunately only had one hole in it.
- Only elite polearm so far was a low-quality Ogre Axe. We will hang onto it just in case an Um drops.
- We have hung onto a couple elite axes that dropped as a last resort for 'Passion'. I know Calabi's been using an axe this whole time, but she's a sword gal at heart, and wants her end-game weapon to be one. (Besides, I think axes are slower for zons than swords? I'm not really sure how it all works tbh.:p)
- We finally found our first Gem Shrine in the Cold Plains. Yes, our first. That took a while.:rolleyes:

[highlight]Conqueror Calabi the Axe-wielding Amazon, with Kasim the Blessed Aim Guard - lvl 77, Hell Stony Field[/highlight]

Smooth sailing through Act II, annoying Maggot's Lair and Arcane Sanctuary as usual. NDE to Summoner (was slightly drunk), ran past everything to the book so I can regroup my summons and merc to kill stuff faster, took a few glacial spikes but 2 reds and a purple saved the day.

Nakozan's Relic paired with the Hotspur I got in Act I = gg Big D. Now only the big hose of doom will be a problem. At this point I can stack over 200 fire resist, which is quite impressive in Act II Normal.
That early? Really?!
Quick shopping trip
Slow but steady
Only 2 reds used against Duriel
I look forward to Act III

Current equipment:
- 'Steel' Flail + Hsarus' Iron Fist
- Ocher (13) Circlet of Luck (33) <- my very first Circlet gamble btw
- 3 Flawed Topaz Breast Plate
- Heavy Gloves of Fortune (24)
- Belt of Equilibrium <- lol
- Rare Heavy Boots (16PRes, 16FRes, 23MF, stuff)
- Ring of Chance (15)
- Fortuitous (14) Ring of the Apprentice
- Amulet of Fortune (23)
- Bow from above on switch
Merc:
- Beastly Partizan from above
- Chipped topazed Cap
- Chipped topazed Ring Mail

MF: 171
MF on merc kills: 216

I need some advice on what to spend the ~800k I saved from Act II
- Boots of Luck/Better Boots
- Circlets
- Better Gloves
- Amulets/Rings are out of the question, I hate gambling them that early

[highlight]PurpleHaze the Hunter?/Summoner, Vikhyat the Prayer Guard - lvl 29.3, Act III next[/highlight]

Last edited:
It was actually a little over 1m, and the only thing I got to show for it is:
Code:
Sander's RiprapHeavy Boots
Defense: 6
Durability: 14 of 14
Required Level: 20
Required Strength: 18
Fingerprint: 0xd225e8cc
Item Level: 32
Version: Expansion 1.10++40% Faster Run/Walk
+100 to Attack Rating
+5 to Strength
+10 to Dexterity

Oh, well.

It was actually a little over 1m, and the only thing I got to show for it is:
*snip*
Oh, well.

You gambled a set item! That's...something.. I guess...

Sort of..o_O

Calabi spent several million (basically all the gold she had) through acts 2-4 gambling for circlets, and got a grand total of zero with any MF on them. They don't call it gambling for no reason. ;)

(Besides, I think axes are slower for zons than swords? I'm not really sure how it all works tbh.:p)

I checked this out with a weapon speed calculator. An Amazon is qually fast with swords and axes. She is quite a bit faster with the one-handers than with the two-handers, though. 13 and 17 frames, respectively, for a WSM 0 weapon.

Yes, a character at level 23 should definitely hold off jewellery cubing one more level, so the up-to-30% resist prefixes open up.
You can get the second best MF affixes at that stage. The other breakpoints are
character level 35 for 3 rings -> 1 amulet cubing (Luck on amulets is alvl 26)
character level 56 for 3 amulets -> 1 ring cubing (Fortune on rings is alvl 42)

Time to do more A2 stuff :eek:

I'll be listening to the soundtrack from the game Transistor, for those who are wondering

edit: maggot lair complete + half of oasis.

Last edited:
I mentioned earlier that I expected the first PIFI bosses to show up in the Catacombs. I had missed these guys, though:

SissyH03%20first%20FIPI_zps9ivuhczy.jpg

Dangit, and a slowing aura on top of that. But with potion help, this boss should not be too tough for Waheed to tank, even without leech. Okay Waheed, you have two tasks here:
- soak up the damage/protect me
- keep the boss poisoned (Insight has a Tal rune)

Sissy hit with her axe until the boss was bleeding, then used this temporary weapon:
SissyH04%20weapon_zpsco9g2eod.jpg

Took a while but was no real trouble.

Countess dropped the rune setup for an Edge. I do not think she has ever helped me on Hell difficulty (grumbles). OK, maybe with her item drop, but not with her runes.

Highlands had a boss that required some planning:
SissyH05%20archer%20boss_zpswoxhkks3.jpg

Can you see why I seek cover behind the wall!? :eek:

We drew out the minions from the other side. Boss wasn't so tough when Waheed (after a well executed teleport from me) drew first blood and nearly kept the boss stunlocked).

Pit was easier than I expected. I think Enchant was key here. Both because it adds enough AR for Waheed so that the level difference between him and the monsters does not affect his to-hit chance so much and also because the wimpy Devilkin are the only FI monsters here. His Defiance helped as well.

I had something special planned for level 2. You never know if it will be safe to attack the shamans, or if that will wake up a nasty boss pack. At least I made sure that resurrections were not going to happen (hehe!):
SissyH06%20Pit_zps8wblkmus.jpg

Actually, it was a cakewalk. Two boss packs were easy-to-kill Devilkin, and the last one (skeletons) was only found after all four Devilkin packs were slain, which meant it was easy to use some stairs to channel them to attack only 1-2 at a time. Very nice.

Yup, there was indeed a Stone Skin Ghoul waiting for us in the Catacombs. While I was looking for some weapons with heavy elemental damage, I saw a staff with Lower Resist charges. Funny, I always thought they were exclusive to wands and daggers. I bought it and tried it out. Oh crap, the boss is FE on top of the innate immunity. Figures...

SissyH07%20next%20FIPI_zps4ijy6u92.jpg

75% lightning resist as well. So lightning damage will be ineffective (despite a newly invested point in Lightning Mastery). What does that leave me with? Poison and cold. Poison will work, but it's slow, and how does it interfere with the Insight poisoning? I found a Hibernal Battle Staff at Akara's shop. Not sure if Hibernal can spawn on axes at my current clvl. Probably not on the types for sale in this act. Staff is OK, it's pretty speedy and has a good reach. It's worth a try.
At first, Waheed took too much damage but I regrouped with Teleport and found a spot where no bolts hit him. Then it was just a matter of grinding (again, hitting with axe with until blood spurts, then bonking with cold staff) and using the potions I had filled the rest of my spare inventory with:
SissyH08%20fightihng%20Mold%20Pus_zps2t85zjvt.jpg

Full clear status is still intact. :)

Again, I whipped out the 'Strength' weapon for Waheed in an act boss fight. This time I had brought both our MF armors and helms. I spent several full purples and gold for Waheed resurrections. This way, I could keep Sissy out of danger. Andariel was killed at 408% MF - she dropped Cathan's Seal, Civerb's Ward, Heart Carver and Thundergod's Vigor. I kept the belt, it has some interesting stats (fat Defense and good lightning absorb and +max resist).

Full purple status is a little better now. Three columns in belt + 10 extra bottles.

Recent other finds:
- ethereal 2s Thresher => better 'Strength' weapon for Waheed
- Boneweave, Wire Fleece
- Crude Boneweave (yay!)

The last armor got normalized. Defense roll was bad, 416 (varies between 399 and 505) but I still tried the socketing recipe on it. I did not want to wait any longer for my Lionheart. And I did not have to (2/3 chance are some sweet odds). Boneweave with a Hel requires 135 STR, so I had to put 10 points there to equip it. The +25 STR frees up that many saved stat points (=> instant +50 life now that I could spend them).

The extra resists meant that I could switch out either my Chromatic Circlet or some other stuff. I gambled up a million or so on circlets, with no good result. Decided to keep the circlet for now, and instead swap out some charms and my Cobalt Ring of the Sun. Ring got replaced by a Platinum Ring of the Wolf. Current stats are now clearly better than the ones I started Hell with. At the cost of some Defense (it's still not bad - Shiver Armor is almost maxed), I got the resists to 75/67/75, AR with my axe to 1763, blocking went up a few points to 14% and max life is now a much healthier 1031.

High on my wish list for the next act:
- Lem rune!
- Raven Frost
- Angelic Wings
- Darksight Helm
- Harlequin Crest
(can I have some of that, pretty please?)

[Highlight]Conqueror Sissy the Axe Enchantress and Waheed the Defiance guard, level 79, Hell Lut Gholein[/highlight]

Last edited:
Hallow, Gumby and Divo hit the Pit and Gumby decided to flex his bulges a bit, proving that he can be quite the tank.

View attachment 949

Divo started to fall behind a bit too much in level so we hired Debi the Fire Rogue, knowing of Andariel's weakness to fire attacks. Here Gumby takes Fouldog head on and laughes at his Frozen Nova and curses.

View attachment 950

We worked our way down through the Catacombs to Andariel where after opening the large double door Gumby decides he wants to charge Andy right away in true Leroy Jenkins fashion. So, I lured her out near the stairwell and let Gumby tank her, which he did pretty well while the rogue and I blasted away at her with our gemmed hunter bows. I had to re-summon him like three times from the poison.

View attachment 951

She dropped the Hsarus belt and several gems.

View attachment 952

After we took the caravan East we decided to hire Kasim to obtained the cube. Hallow crafted after three attempts a Savage Lochaber Axe (70%ED) and a Savage Halbred (72%ED). Kasim needs another level before he can use the Lochaber. Prior to the crafting potential Kasim was utilizing a gambled Mechanic's 2os poleaxe I stuck a couple chipped skulls in for some LL. Now that he has no LL with the Halbred I think I'll stick with the combat guard, so I don't have to mind his health as much.

Current mentionables include:
Hsarus Belt (Andariel)
Rainbow Circlet of Venom (+21psn/11@resists) Gambled 1st attempt
Eth (Countess)
Tir (Halls of Dead)

MF: (94)Hallow, (34)Kasim
GF: (37) Hallow

Hallow the Golemancer and Kasim the Healing guard, level 22, Normal Far Oasis

Last edited:
@jiansonz - Great progress! I'm not sure Calabi will be able to keep up with Sissy anymore, at least not as long as she keeps it up at /p5. That's okay though, the longer I can put off doing false tombs the better, in my books. :p

@Southpaw8668 - Well done! Contessa has officially been avenged. :)

--

Calabi saved Cain and dispatched Griswold for the last time. Griswold wasn't hanging out in his shop this time, instead he was hiding in the old house where Farnham used to hang out. We cleared the whole of tristram before finding him again, so he was no problem. We also snagged Wirt's leg while we were here so that Calabi officially never has to come back to Tristram again.

Dark wood and the Black marsh were cleared out without any real problems. Once we have an initial area cleared, any above ground area tends to be very safe, as we can backtrack and seperate packs with ease. We did, however, meet these guys in The Hole. Notice the Carver with fanaticism, his boss pack was just a little further down. I did NOT want to take on the Brutes with fanaticism, as they already hit decently hard. Luckily, we ran into these guys only once everything else was cleared, so we were able to seperate the brutes out and bottleneck them in a narrow passageway. The fight wasn't over though, as Calabi hasn't really figured out a solution for PI's yet. We tried lots of valk recasts to try and get one with ctc Amp, no luck. Eventually we shopped a War Scythe with some big fire damage, cast a valk that had some elemental damage on her spear, and settled in for a while. He took probably around 10-15 minutes to wittle down, which is definitely not ideal.

Calabi decided that she needed a true solution for PI's sooner rather than later, especially since PI Ghosts can (and probably will) spawn in the Countess' Tower. Luckily, she has just the thing sitting in her stash. So first things first, she had to get to the Outer Cloister WP for a muling break.

She cleared the Tamoe Highlands and Pit first, hoping for more elite swords (4-socketed, please) to drop along the way. Only a plain Highland Blade dropped, which is not the best option. Pit level 2 had these nice chaps. The boss pack right behind him is Cursed, Spectral Hit. Where you see them in the screenie was the only place we could contain them decently. Kasim eventually died, and we didn't want to give up position, so the valk took on the duties of killing the pack, which she managed quite well.

I checked this out with a weapon speed calculator. An Amazon is qually fast with swords and axes. She is quite a bit faster with the one-handers than with the two-handers, though. 13 and 17 frames, respectively, for a WSM 0 weapon.

Hm, that is interesting indeed. This prompted me to actually look up and use a weapon speed calculator for the first time in my D2 career.:p

If I'm doing this right, it seems that a Feral Axe (which I have), and a Champion Sword (what I was looking for) take 25 and 35 additional IAS to reach 11 fpa with 'Passion', respectively. They also have basically the same average damage (74 and 77).

So after a quick visit to Larzuk:
fGAfltt.jpg

Seems like she was always meant to be an axe gal in the end. :D The %ED roll was only 2% higher than the absolute worst (160-210%), so that's a shame. Doesn't matter though, we'll take it. :) We planned on paying the Countess a visit, but the rest of our session was spent pouring over our stash and trying out combinations to try and keep Calabi as safe as possible while maintaining MF. We ended up settling on 3-piece Sigon's (boots, belt, gloves), and some ring/charm swapping. This left us with:

* 11fpa for normal attack/berserk; 7/8/8/8/13 for Zeal (though I'm not sure I will use it)
* a big boost to AR (Berserk jumps up to ~3800 with Kasim's aura)
* 10% life leech
* resists are slightly better than before the switch
* 280% MF on Kasim's Kills
* Calabi can now kill faster than Kasim for the first time ever!

Here are her LCS shots on shield switch:
ItLtd86.jpg

Axe switch:
nAkygUg.jpg

I'm happy with those for now. :) Note the axe switch could get an easy +15@res with the addition of Tal's Helm. Probably not necessary, as we only bust out the axe once position is established anyways. I would rather keep the additional MF for now, as we still need a suitable armour for Kasim's end-game. I'm excited to test out her new toy against PI's, so I'm hoping some ghosts spawn in the Countess' tower next session.

I'm a little dissapointed with my heavy DEX investment since I was planning to use swords, but oh well. Hindsight is always 20/20, and at least it helps out with my chance to hit and block (it's around 40% iirc).

Finds/Notes:
- Lum rune (come on Fal for a Lionheart for Kasim!)
- Steelrend Ogre Gauntlets (these are interesting, I might keep them on hand for boss fights)
- plain Colossus Voulge

[highlight]Conqueror Calabi the Axe-wielding Amazon, with Kasim the Blessed Aim Guard - lvl 79, Hell Inner Cloister (quick detour to the Countess first)[/highlight]

--

And just to make this post even longer, let's update the table :)
EDIT: updating srrw from the post below.

Code:
Table of Heroes:
Forum Name     Class        Char Name      LVL    ACT       Area
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
jiansonz       Sorceress    Sissy          79     A2(H)     Lut Gholein
Pb_pal         Amazon       Calabi         79     A1(H)     Inner Cloister
Zylo           Druid        Hoyt           59     A3(NM)    Kurast Docks
felixbavaria   Sorceress    Swoosh         51     A1(NM)    Inner Cloister
sivaeB         Necromancer  Toast          35     A5        Harrogath
srrw           Druid        PurpleHaze     32     A4        Pandemonium Fortress
djmbbandie     Assassin     Natasha        31     A3        Upper Kurast
pharphis       Sorceress    SlamDoorsShut  23     A2        Far Oasis
ranagrande     Barbarian    Beldric        23     A2        Halls of the Dead
Southpaw8668   Necromancer  Hallow         22     A2        Far Oasis
Morathi        Assassin     Carrisa        21     A2        Lut Gholein
Jocular        Assassin     ?????          14     A1        Stony Field/Dark Wood(?)
jamesixgun     Druid        John           6      A1        Rogue Encampment

The Fallen (RIP):
Forum Name     Class        Char Name      LVL    ACT       Area
Southpaw8668   Amazon       Contessa       15     A1        Andariel

Last edited:
Act III done.

Too lazy for a write-up so here, have some screenes ( :

tIAKXKo.jpg

HHNaVXu.jpg

VFV8U1n.jpg

OttCMcp.jpg

Mj1I3GB.jpg

jlO2yz1.jpg

1XHD7h9.jpg

Psezpae.jpg

1fzUVWe.jpg

Shame on the roll of the Nagel :/

Up to 1 Perfect, 1 Flawless Topaz.

Gear improvements:
- Heavy Boots of Luck (31)
- Snake's (8) Amulet of Luck (29)
- Nagelring (16)
- Rare Chain Gloves (25mf, 16fres, HFD)

sidenote: Ravenclaw, good. Now gieb Demonlimb *greedy emoticon*

[highlight]PurpleHaze, Summoner Druid and Vikhyat the Prayer Guard, level 32, Act IV next[/highlight]

Last edited:
Killed Shenk and socketed this still waiting for the Sol rune to drop so we can make an Insight for Waheed, besides this very uneventful.

[highlight] Toast the Golemancer with Waheed the Defiance Guard, level 37 , Crystalline Passage next. [/highlight]

Killed Shenk and socketed this still waiting for the Sol rune to drop so we can make an Insight for Waheed, besides this very uneventful.

[highlight] Toast the Golemancer with Waheed the Defiance Guard, level 37 , Crystalline Passage next. [/highlight]
You can't make an insight in that, since it's a spear!

Act IV done.

Diablo was a huge PITA, because I totally forgot to mule in my Nakozan's and Hotspur, took him on players 8 and on top of that in windowed mode, while watching an episode of Two and a Half Men. About 10 merc resurrections, despite Life Tap and steady supply of reds and some purples. 1 or 2 scares when both merc and Grizzly died which staff of teleportation solved easy, 1 panic rejuv. I always underestimate normal Diablo, although I know he's very dangerous. Still it was much, much easier than with a summoner necro. I would probably still wait for Diablo to kill himself to IM.

Anyway, drop was useless. Only Sigon's Gauntlets might be useful later on.

The only gear improvement in this Act was a Ring of Telekenesis I stashed for later (and will probably forget to use!).

[highlight]PurpleHaze, Summoner Druid and Vikhyat the Prayer Guard, Level 35, Act V next[/highlight]

Not sure if you have Iron golem, but throw some big gems in that Pike and he would do some solid damage for you.

DJ: That was exciting.

Natasha: Probably a little bit too exciting.

DJ: Meph kept throwing ice balls. Probably because he knew you only had 13 cold resist.

Natasha: Still, it was good that you focused on the lightning. I would say Visala did the best out of the three of us.

Visala: Yep, thanks to that awesome (not really) rare composite bow that had a chance to cast amp, we got him down pretty fast I'd say.

Melody: Yep, without that bow it would've taken a while.

Natasha: It was kind of sad when he died, because he was hiding in a corner down to one sliver of health. I got to do the honors with blade sentinel.

View attachment 956

DJ: Any finds?

Natasha: The darkglow that we found on the armor rack on the left is great. I gave that to Visala for her reward.

Visala: Yeah, I think it's time to do some more gambling. We all need better gear.

Melody: I pretty much occupied Mephisto when he wasn't shooting the ice balls.

DJ: Well, Hell is up next, hopefully we'll finally start finding good things.

Natasha: yep.

Visala: See you guys later.

[HIGHLIGHT] Natasha, Visala, and Melody, the very relieved assassin, fire rogue, and shadow master, now levels 32,32, and 3 in the Pandemonium Fortress. Up Next: Act IV. [/HIGHLIGHT]

Killing really started to lag a bit during the process of clearing all the tombs. Eventually Hallow got the hang of blinding, attracting and amping at the appropriate times to separate the minions from their bosses.

The trio found the Cathan's suit in Lost City, Arctic belt in one of the false tombs and Duriel dropped the Vidala's boots. We'll stick with our MF gear.

Duriel wasn't too bad on /p8 with Gumby doing the tanking, while Kasin shuffled around behind him and poked him in the back part of the time. I keep my distance and casted slvl2 IM and plucked away at my gemmed hunter's bow. I played it safe and swapped out Kasim with the venom circlet with 11@resists. Don't think Kasim would have hung in there very long without the Golem doing the tanking, because I had to resummons him twice and during that two second pause Kasim's health dropped to almost half way. Swamplands up next!

Hallow, Kasim and Gumby, lvl 27, Act III

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High