The Certain Death Tournament.

Re: The Certain Death Tournament.

MELIKECAKE the concbarb recovered the cube last night and spent a fair amount of time cubing gems and trying to get a decent merc polearm made. Am I right in thinking that you can only get the "Savage" prefix after clvl24, or is that one of those things I just believe for whatever reason?

Progress has been very slow indeed. I'm currently doing between 20-40 damage(!) as my drops have been almost exclusively of "cracked sash" standard. It is most humiliating to have a merc doing considerably more damage than you, especially when you're a big strong barbarian!

However, damage may be low but the low amount of life (currently ~120) makes for an exciting experience. As most chars I make tend to be cookie cutters (the last 2 have been a blizzsorc and a fishy), this really is a welcome change. It's an unsettling experience to be running away from monsters in normal!

I'm only 2 lvls away from BO, which (as it synergises conc) is going to be maxed ASAP. That should hopefully stop the life bulb draining so dramatically, and the addition of 10%dmg per lvl to conc will be welcome too. I'm hoping to break the 100 dmg mark fairly soon. Look out minions of evil and fear my mighty wrath!

[highlight]MELIKECAKE, concbarb, lvl22, Far Oasis[/highlight]

MELIKECAKE the concbarb recovered the cube last night and spent a fair amount of time cubing gems and trying to get a decent merc polearm made. Am I right in thinking that you can only get the "Savage" prefix after clvl24, or is that one of those things I just believe for whatever reason?

Both the Savage polearm recipe and the 3 chippies recipe have fixed item levels for the created item (50 and 25, respectively). Character level does not matter.

Drake cleared Act 3 with little difficulty. Fissure continues to rack up one-hit kills. Its damage range is usually very consistent, however sometimes there is a “sweet spot†in the Fissure, where monsters won’t get hit at all. This required a bit of herding or Fissure overlaps.

Drops were plentiful, but not friendly. I found a couple of useless repeat greens along the way, no help at all. I lost count, but it took 6-8 sets in a row before finally my first unique dropped in the Disused Reliquary. Drake’s eyes lit up at the sight of it. Unfortunately, it only spawned with 29% MF :(..... however, Drake was more than pleased with the 9% improvement compared with his old gloves :nod:. This brought our MF tally to a respectable 167% :cool:.

Mephisto provided Drake with his most frightening and challenging battle to date. I had to keep on my toes and be ready with fast hotkey action. Mephisto constantly targeted my Oak’s, killing it with 1 hit. This put me in dangerous situation. Drake’s cold resistance is still at 0%, leaving me extra vulnerable to his cold ball of death. At one stage Meph fired off two rapid balls, the first one annihilating the Oak’s and the second one crashing into my back as I fled to make ground. Immediately my life bulb was less than half. At this stage I had to do two things, drink a potion and re-cast Oaks. I chose the latter first, bad move! As Drake was in cast animation, summoning the Oak’s, another cold ball came flying my direction, and my life was still less than half! I closed my eyes in anticipation of another deeds screen, but to my pleasant surprise, I heard the “CLANG†sound. OMG!!! he actually blocked it! Max block saved my life :jig: :thumbup:. What a close call! The drop wasn’t as epic as the battle unfortunately (note Drakes belt!).

Onwards to Act 4! where I expect the killing speed to slow down and the dangers to increase substantionally. I am ready!

[highlight]Drake the Fire Druid, Level 32.4, Normal Pandemonium Fortress, life = 161 (218 with Oaks), aided by Emilio the Prayer merc[/highlight]

Quick update on GeneralJoe here.

He's cleared everything up through the Black Marsh, including the Countess Tower and the Hole. The Countess was kind enough to drop to Eld runes, meh.

Joe's army is starting to grow. He runs around directing a company of 4 ground troops, 2 artillery guys, and a big, fat hunk of clay. Picking up a starting army thus far hasn't been too difficult but I anticipate that it might be more "challenging" later on in the game.

Why doesn't your army stick with you on S&E like an Iron Golem???? Oh well.

You know, in the spirit of "single pass", would it be OK to go out and raise an army from the Blood Moor when I start a new session? (that way I wouldn't get any XP benefit other than 10 or so points) This would only be used at the beginning of a new session. If my army got killed during normal play, I'd have to make deal with what I could. I see this as similar to running from the previous WP to a new area during a session start, especially if I finished my previous session with a full army. What say you host??

[highlight]GeneralJoe the Summoning Necro, level 16, Black Marsh[/highlight]

Quick update on GeneralJoe here.

He's cleared everything up through the Black Marsh, including the Countess Tower and the Hole. The Countess was kind enough to drop to Eld runes, meh.

Joe's army is starting to grow. He runs around directing a company of 4 ground troops, 2 artillery guys, and a big, fat hunk of clay. Picking up a starting army thus far hasn't been too difficult but I anticipate that it might be more "challenging" later on in the game.

Why doesn't your army stick with you on S&E like an Iron Golem???? Oh well.

You know, in the spirit of "single pass", would it be OK to go out and raise an army from the Blood Moor when I start a new session? (that way I wouldn't get any XP benefit other than 10 or so points) This would only be used at the beginning of a new session. If my army got killed during normal play, I'd have to make deal with what I could. I see this as similar to running from the previous WP to a new area during a session start, especially if I finished my previous session with a full army. What say you host??

I agree, I hate how you have to resummon your army at the start of a new session. I guess that you can use the Moor on /p1...but I would like for you to try using Iron Maiden/Attract on monsters where you are "supposed to be" first. Wouldn't that work? If it's not feasible, the Moor would be a backup plan.

GlassEye didn't make it as far as his siblings--he died at level 17 in Jail 2 at the hands of a skeleton mage named Snot Skull. How humiliatin'! He should have stuck with his bow, but after he found Hsaru's shield to go with the belt it seemed a shame not to use it. So he switched to a scepter set with one of the 2 Tal's that the Countess dropped. Mistake...

Enter Trixie, GlassCannon's best friend and classmate from MageKillers' U.

[highlight]JayeM, GlassEye, Necro, Monastery Jail, 17 RIP

Trixie, Assassin, Rogue Camp, 1[/highlight]

And there were two Fire Druids once more . . . Scorn zipped through Act 3 with the exception of Mephisto and I was therefore rather concerned about how he would perform against el Diablo . . . the concern was well founded. Scorn engaged Big D at Level 34 with 10 points in Volcano, 10 points in Fissure, three in Cyclone Armor, and one in Oak Sage (and some other random skills). And as it turns out, at Players 7 Diablo’s Lightning Hose was more than enough to rip through Scorn’s poor Oak Sage, the Cyclone Armor, and then Scorn’s 160 remaining hit points . . . RIP. I had debated the entire way to Diablo whether to drop the players setting or not . . . in the end I decided that there was only one way to go in a tournament entitled certain death . . .

In related news, I really didn’t like the character all that much anyways (every Fire Skill is on a timer?! . . well that’s no fun!) . . . so I’ll be reentering with something much more better-er . . . I hope.

[highlight]Scorn, Fire Druid, Diablo, Level 34, RIP[/highlight]

Baal is dead, the cows have 'moo'ed their last, and I am back at the Encampment.

This is officially the farthest I have come in any HC tourney. :jig:

The Ancients were cake. Baal's minions were simple (although I could tell that would not be the case in the future). Baal was a complete pain. I used almost all my rejuvs (it was the first time in the game I had used even a single rejuv, actually). When I came through the portal, there were two Baals sitting on the walk already. *sigh* I was just getting my 'nades set up properly when the ice attack struck, pushing my completely out of position and draining my life like crazy. Problems:

(1) How am I going to aim tornadoes if I am being pushed around everywhere?
(2) How is the ice attack hurting me when I have cyclone armor up? (Anyone? This makes no sense.)

First solution was to stand behind a pillar and let the merc go it at. That was working well (if slowly) until the second Baal telestomped me. The next solution was to run up and spam tornadoes at point blank range. That was working well -- Baal dropped in seconds -- until I realized I had the wrong Baal. I repeated the process against the right Baal (yes, he immediately spawned another clone), although it was a bit trickier that time.

Anyways, Baal died, but I have no idea how I am going to handle him next time. And I have no idea how he damages me with cyclone armor up.

The cows were boring -- my tornadoes mowed them down like grass. No good drops, except I got lots of gems and one or two usable charms.

Anyways, I will spare you any more narrative and give you the hard info:

[highlight]Character:[/highlight]
Code:
Character name  : Lifeless
Character type  : Hardcore Druid
Character level : 48
Character exp   : 41663451

Strength        : 60
Energy          : 86
Dexterity       : 129
Vitality        : 25
Stat Points Rem : 20
Skill Points Rem: 0

Life            : 220 / 145
Mana            : 266 / 246
Stamina         : 146 / 131
Resists: 49/40/47/50 (F/C/L/P)
Defense: 212
Chance to Block: 75%
Damage Reduction: 8

[highlight]Equipment[/highlight]
Code:
Lore
Circlet
'OrtSol'
Defense: 30
Durability: 24 of 35
Required Level: 27
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 33
Fingerprint: 0xea07569a
+10 to Energy
Damage Reduced by 7
Lightning Resist +30%
+2 to Light Radius
+1 to All Skill Levels
+2 to Mana After Each Kill
Socketed (2: 2 used)

Stealth
Superior Breast Plate
'TalEth'
Defense: 75
Durability: 56 of 57
Required Strength: 30
Required Level: 17
Item Level: 21
Fingerprint: 0x6f62b9c9
+6 to Dexterity
+15 to Maximum Stamina
+10% Enhanced Defense
Regenerate Mana 15%
Magic Damage Reduced by 3
Poison Resist +30%
Increase Maximum Durability 14%
25% Faster Run/Walk
25% Faster Hit Recovery
25% Faster Cast Rate
Socketed (2: 2 used)

Corpse Cord
Plated Belt
Defense: 17
Durability: 24 of 24
Required Strength: 60
Required Level: 14
Item Level: 33
Fingerprint: 0x63ce02ff
+13 to Life
+47% Enhanced Defense
Fire Resist +26%
24% Faster Hit Recovery

Eagle Track
Chain Boots
Defense: 9
Durability: 16 of 16
Required Strength: 30
Required Level: 13
Item Level: 30
Fingerprint: 0x70748e0b
Heal Stamina Plus 50%
Fire Resist +16%
Cold Resist +29%
10% Faster Run/Walk
10% Faster Hit Recovery
Half Freeze Duration

Raven Clutches
Heavy Gloves
Defense: 5
Durability: 14 of 14
Required Level: 24
Item Level: 28
Fingerprint: 0x9f1b4132
Fire Resist +22%
Lightning Resist +29%
Poison Resist +23%
6% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
Half Freeze Duration
Level 1 Poison Dagger (22/22 Charges)

Snowy Yew Wand of the Magus
One-Hand Damage: 2 to 8
Durability: 15 of 15
Required Level: 21
Staff Class - Slow Attack Speed
Item Level: 28
Fingerprint: 0xf79f46a
Adds 6-20 cold damage over 1 seconds
20% Faster Cast Rate
150% Damage to Undead

Strong Bone Shield of Deflecting
Defense: 41
Chance to Block:  60%
Durability: 40 of 40
Required Strength: 25
Required Level: 8
Item Level: 20
Fingerprint: 0xa8c15354
+35% Enhanced Defense
+20% Increased Chance of Blocking
30% Faster Block Rate

Manald Heal
Ring
Required Level: 15
Item Level: 23
Fingerprint: 0x3d804bf6
+20 to Life
Regenerate Mana 20%
4% Mana stolen per hit
Replenish Life +8

Ring of the Apprentice
Required Level: 3
Item Level: 10
Fingerprint: 0x37b19ef5
10% Faster Cast Rate

Ocher Amulet of Health
Required Level: 9
Item Level: 18
Fingerprint: 0xbf2199d6
Damage Reduced by 1
Lightning Resist +14%
With a few mods on charms, this gives me:
-- 7 frame hit recovery
-- 8 frame block rate
-- 13 frame cast rate
-- 35% faster run/walk

[highlight]Mercenary[/highlight]
Code:
Static Circlet of the Ox
Defense: 29
Durability: 35 of 35
Required Level: 19
Item Level: 24
Fingerprint: 0x1c6f3f78
+6 to Strength
Adds 1-120 lightning damage

Glorious Ancient Armor of Stability
Defense: 336
Durability: 60 of 60
Required Strength: 100
Required Level: 14
Item Level: 43
Fingerprint: 0x9a329390
+44% Enhanced Defense
24% Faster Hit Recovery

Savage Great Sword of Pestilence
One-Hand Damage: 21 to 35
Two-Hand Damage: 44 to 74
Durability: 50 of 50
Required Dexterity: 60
Required Strength: 100
Required Level: 19
Sword Class - Slow Attack Speed
Item Level: 44
Fingerprint: 0x9d929705
+78% Enhanced Damage
+50 poison damage over 5 seconds
...kinda weak.

[highlight]Available Runes[/highlight]
El x5
Eld x5
Tir x7
Nef x5
Eth x5
Ith x6
Tal x4
Ral x3
Ort x1
Thul x1

[highlight]Skills[/highlight]
Oak Sage: 1
Solar Creeper: 1 (2 prerequisite)
Cyclone Armor: 20 (1 prerequisite)
Twister: 1
Tornado: 20
Hurricane: 5

Cyclone Armor: Absorbs 789 damage
Tornado: Does 978 - 1055 damage (physical)
Hurricane: Does 173 - 245 damage (cold) for 50 seconds

[highlight]Lifeless the Wind Druid, level 48, NM Rogue Encampment[/highlight]

hanshotfirst, I know what you mean about the fire skills, but the beauty is volcano lasts so long, and firestorm is close to spammable. Most people dont use firestorm much, but my tri-element hardcore druid (parked in Act 4 Hell now) made massive use of it. Especially against bosses, the damage is huge - it does roughly what inferno 'says' it does, but unbugged. bosses will almost always get triple flamed

so volc plus firestorm wins

and if its a tough battle just play safe and drop fissures in front. takes a while, but they all go down eventually

sorry, just defending fire druids! sorry for the deeds

had you seen my treatise on the fireys? its in the strat compendium

on a side note Act 5 is SOOOOO good for XP. ive gained 4 levels, maybe 5 and ive only just cleared the arreat plateau

update later today. actually i may ask a question. for a tele nova ES bomber, considering I have no need for dex or vit (obviously), would it be more effective to just dump ALL my points in energy, or pump STR too to try for high DEF, to result in less hits fullstop? without any hard points in cold armours my DEF rating will never be astronomical, but 10% less hits is probably easier to deal with than 100 more mana

just trying to work out the sweet spot

And as it turns out, at Players 7 Diablo’s Lightning Hose was more than enough to rip through Scorn’s poor Oak Sage, the Cyclone Armor, and then Scorn’s 160 remaining hit points . . . RIP...

Damn - RIP Scorn. I'm kinda worried about the Diablo fight myself. Although my sage is a bit stronger I doubt it will last long against him. Not that I'm really close to having to worry about it for a while.

Damn, I'm an idiot...
Radament actually managed to revive his minions precisely in the right positions to herd me into melee range. Then one hit from him meant deeds for Jenna (despite ~280 life and 40 lr). Guess I was outsmarted by the AI :shocked:

Act I had gone pretty well. I crafted some nice blood boots and found a decent belt:
Code:
Viper Harness
Sharkskin Belt
Defense: 32
Durability: 14 of 14
Required Strength: 20
Required Level: 25
Item Level: 42
Fingerprint: 0xcb8bb3f
+1 to Strength
+28 to Life
+5 to Mana
Fire Resist +6%
24% Faster Hit Recovery

Corpse Stalker
Light Plated Boots
Defense: 11
Durability: 17 of 18
Required Strength: 50
Required Level: 35
Item Level: 51
Fingerprint: 0x90da3f96
+19 to Life
Heal Stamina Plus 25%
Cold Resist +23%
3% Life stolen per hit
Replenish Life +7
20% Faster Run/Walk
Andy (on /p8) went down after a lovely run around the blood pool. The LR charges on switch worked well.
It was actually to recurse Radament that I tried to run to a safer position... But it wasn't meant to be.
I will think about entering with another char (or maybe try the Torchlight demo instead).
Good luck to everyone else in the meantime. Someone has to avenge all those recent deaths...

[highlight] scrcrw, Jenna, Poison/LF Java, Radament NM, level 53, RIP [/highlight]

Last edited:

Good progress with the barb there EmperoMoo but..

....are they using howl on you?! :mua:

Why you pesky kids! Git off mah lawn!

@jiansonz: thks for that.

Chugging along nicely. I broke my golden rule of HC [never play HC after drinking alcohol], but I got away with it. I'm now (very slowly) clearing out the Arcane Sanctuary. It 's humbling to have your merc doing 2x the damage you are...

Reached clvl24, but (surprise surprise) BO hasn't made much of a difference to killing speed by adding 10%dmg to conc. I'm currently doing 35-74dmg(!), at slvl6, with a 10% bonus from BO. I think conc could be a serious contender for "lamest skill ever" - could be a tournament in that :scratchchin: Fend, conc, or hunger for hardest-to-achieve guardian, anyone (after Annagoanna,ofc)?

[highlight]EmperorMoo, MELIKECAKE, Arcane Sanctuary, lvl24[/highlight]

Damn - RIP Scorn. I'm kinda worried about the Diablo fight myself. Although my sage is a bit stronger I doubt it will last long against him. Not that I'm really close to having to worry about it for a while.

I'm sure that you'll be fine as long as you don't secretly want your character dead! :thumbup:

@soulmanz: Oh yeah, no doubt that even at Players 7 I could have won no problem (but I was already more interested in my next character and that's not good). I don't know, past the skills being on a timer I really wasn't liking that you couldn't aim Fissure (perhaps there's a technique described in your Treatise . . . but I couldn't aim it) and that really bothers me (it's the same reason that I always make Frozen Orb Sorceresses instead of Blizzard Sorceresses) . . . I liked how flashy the skills were . . . but otherwise it really wasn't my cup of tea. :nod:

Dang, deeds always seem to come in waves. Sorry Han and scrcrw. I'm not sure how I will kill Diablo with my meleemancer. :\ Did Radament hit you with his poisonous melee attack, scr? The potency is astonishing.

@Tarantella: Your Howl comment made me burst out laughing. :)

I think I'm going to roll somebody for this tournament...it'll be my first time ever doing HC so hopefully I won't bite it too dreadfully early. Since I like funky, out of the ordinary builds I do believe I'll go with a Ranger Paladin I'm naming TheAragorn.

I'll be juggling back and forth between him, an Avenger, and a Fishyzon I started yesterday so progress will be sporadic.

[highlight]TheAragorn, Ranger Paladin, Level 1, Rogue Camp[/highlight]

whew, thats a lotta deeds today. condolences scrcrw

han, fissure is IMO one of the most powerful spells in game. you have to predict rather than target. it takes ~ half duration for the maximum number of fissure's vents to open, at which time there is the least clear space, meaning more likely monsters will be hit. so you have to aim ahead of the monsters, how far ahead will depend on speed. a corrupted rogue, you are almost best aiming at your feet, a shambling dead, may as well target them

i often found the best move for hardcore would be fissure the screen edge, then move a good half scren forward. if you triggered monsters they would hit the field at the right time

the kicker is if an enemy doesnt move, at best 2-3 vents will hit, so summoners need a nice volcano party. a fast enemy though, or one that does move, will cover many vents per cast, so more damage. there is NO next delay, but if you put them in recovery it will obviously slow things down ( but make you safer - what a tradeoff)

i actually think a firey is a good big D hunter, because you have a nice cyclone armour, and can target him from a mile away. let them merc die, let the sage die, put vents in front of him, and cyclone armour will help you survive the fire ring. nothing else can reach you

of course, that method will take 20 mins +, especially at high players counts

if you are feeling suicidal or have a tank, then firestorm speeds things up a lot

definitely a personal taste, the firey though. considering im now playing a FW sorc, maybe there is a pattern!

anyway, onto Sparky (the name isnt really relevant until she gets into nova town is it?)

full p8 clears up to anya. no problems, no NDEs, it is actually laughably easy

i gambled ~2 mil on circlets, without much love. my merc got a +50 fire damage, 17 damage reduce circlet, which is ok. i traded my (admittedly great) +20fcr +20frw rare circlet for a +1 sorc otherwise useless blue circlet, and much to my bemusement realised i sold the other one. that was probably end game worthy, i just figured while the going is easy the extra damage was worth it getting some plus skills, oh well, we move on! a paladin circlet dropped with huge res all, damage reduce and fcr. couldnt be bothered muling it though, just sold it back

still no sol runes have dropped, hanging for lore or radiance

still no plan about stat points, holding 30 atm. i like the heavier armours, but like i say, might not be worth it. that said im running a defiance merc for some reason, not really sure why, will probably become holy freeze if i dont deeds by then

so, SparkyPancakes, Novawall sorc, level 41, Pindleskin region

onward!

ps current FW damage 3000 per second! and not maxed yet!

pps Moo - conc isnt that bad. it sound like your gear is the problem. find some gear! edit: while the going is still ok, cube a savage polearm and go 2 handed for a while. you will get 200+ damage, with range. get of alacricity or a leech suffix. should help some. then howl and leap are for safety, rather than blocking. change back when you NEED blocking

Last edited:

Welcome, Alfonso. This is quite a way to take the plunge into hardcore! You might find that since death is certain, it takes the pressure off. That's how I felt about my Chargadin. :)

@soulmanz: I am under the impression that defense is useless for any characters besides Barbarians with Iron Skin and Paladins with Holy Shield. Strength and Dexterity can be nice to equip gear...but I wouldn't get more strength than you need.

P.S. I put you at the Crystalline Passage. That is your most recent waypoint right?

Whoa, I didn't realize I hadn't updated since the Inner Cloister. I thought I had. Weird. Well, Shadow_Salad went back and killed Coldcrow after he had 5 topazes and some MF gloves/boots. She didn't drop a Gull but still gave him a unique TC3! The buckler went on right away and gave him 20 more life. Cool! Andariel didn't even hurt Gaile, and she dropped an Emerald when she died.

S/U's along the way to the Claw Viper Temple included Gorefoot, Berserker's Helm, and Isenhart's Plate (of course). This very cutely named ring dropped in the Claw Viper Temple. Get it? :D I found it very appropriate.

This picture should give you a good idea of what the action is like with level 17 Dim Vision. S_S walked in the middle of the room just to get a good view as Zanarhi (Prayer) killed everything. There is a boss Gorebelly in the lower right. He walked in, was amped, and killed a few seconds later. His minions may have attacked Zanarhi a couple of times as he killed them. Most of them just stood and died to spear thrusts from the outer darkness.

S_S did make a nice Malice in a Brandistock to kill with, but mostly he would put open wounds on a monster and Zanarhi would finish the group he was working on and kill the monster before wounds finished it. Still, playing around with open wounds is fun, and the spear probably helped them kill Duriel faster. The Ancient Kaa decided to bring a buddy along. (That's Kaa on the left.) S_S lured the Burning Dead well away from them to so that Zanarhi would take them out.

Isn't this an elegant setup against Duriel? S_S positioned himself behind Zanarhi so Duriel couldn't knock him back, and his Brandistock gives him enough range to keep Open Wounds on Duriel. The Town Portal behind is just in case. It was an unnecessary precaution though...Duriel was taken on /players 8 without a single potion used! Gotta love Life Tap.

Duriel dropped a Twitchthroe! The 10 strength allowed Zanarhi to equip a Savage Bill of Slaughter (24-112 damage) and allows S_S to wield Zanarhi's old Savage Halberd of the Locust for act 3.

[highlight]Shadow_Salad, level 28 Meleemancer, Kurast Docks[/highlight]

wakiki, that fine. that was my last WP

2 questions, just cos i like meleemancers

you dont ever have bonearmour up in the shots .. not using it?
and what is your plan for AR eventually? angelics? blessed aim merc?

So far I have 17 points in Dim Vision and 5 in Decreptify. Once I have a more comfortable Decreptify duration, I'll start on the Bone Armor.

As for AR, well, I'd love Angelics. But only the BA merc is dependable. :) I will be switching to him one my chance to hit starts to annoy me.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High