The Avenger guide for V1.11.

Just following up regarding using CB on an avenger; in my opinion it's totally unnecessary. Area effects are nice, but CB is a single target effect and an Avenger destroys most single targets with just a couple hits. You would see a difference vs. Baal and possibly a few others, but you'd be sacrificing your optimal gear for 98% of the game.

If you mentioned Baranar's Star, i think The Atlantean which you can upgrade later in game is also a good weapon of choice among others. Huge damage, stat bonuses, very nice +2 to skills mod. It's not really so fast and requires a bit more dex than you would wish, but still good and not hard to find, imo.

If you mentioned Baranar's Star, i think The Atlantean which you can upgrade later in game is also a good weapon of choice among others. Huge damage, stat bonuses, very nice +2 to skills mod. It's not really so fast and requires a bit more dex than you would wish, but still good and not hard to find, imo.

the problem the The Atlantean is just that no IAS means it will be very painful to play with the already uber-slow avenger. While you can socket it with a shael for 20% IAS, you would still be very far from reaching a high atk speed. Maybe you could use it with a griz plate with 3 15% IAS jewels plus some other gear (andys with 15% ias, any 20% ias glove, and a shield with again a 15% ias jewel) to attain a reasonable atack speed (you need at least 90% IAS to be playble), but other than that, yes, a solid weapon choice indeed.

What about the reaper weapon. (forgot the name) with huge elemental dmg and which you can throw. I remember I used that on my 1.10 avenger named venger :grin: :grin: :grin:

great build for pvm fun.

Need some advice

Hi everyone!

This afternoon I tried to run ubertrist with a friend using my avenger. Since I had no info on how an avenger would fare in tristam, I just figured I'd try anyway. To make a long story short, me and my friend got owned very quickly in uber trist, and we had to call a smiter friend to finish the job. I think that maybe my gear has something to do with that, and I come for advice on useful gear/strategy for ubers. If it interests anyone, we managed to get organset pretty easily with the avenger plus a sorc, so killing the guys is quite possible, my problem is surviving in uber trist. Please don't post to say "play a smiter", because I want to try it with an avenger. If you don't think it's possibe, don't just post "it's not possible", but rather give a reason why you think so.

My gear is:

weapon: Famine based on zerker axe
Armor: chains of honor
Helm: Andy's Visage with 15% ias jewel
Shield: Spirit Pally Shield (based on a 168 def shield with +17 all resists)
ammy: Highlord's Wrath
rings: Raven Frost (216 atk rating and 20 dex if it matters) and Dwarf Star.
Boots: Infernostride
Gloves: Lava gout
Belt: Verdungo's Hearty Cord (not sure of other mods but +40 vit)

My merc is an act2 merc with insight (eth cryptic axe), vampgaze (7% both leeches) and Guardian Angel

Please help any way you can! Thanks in advance

Since you have a shield and presumably Holy Shield, you can make yourself into an automatic 1-point Smiter of a sort (unless you would like to equip a "Grief").

Load 50-100% Crushing Blow, make sure your resists are high or maxed (don't worry about Meph's Conviction lowering your resists, because you'll override his), lots of Deadly Strike, and switch out boots for either Goreriders or Goblin Toes and gloves for Dracs, so you can get Life Tap to proc when smiting. You must try to survive until LT procs, and if a bit worried about that, buy a Life Tap wand and cast it first on the Uber. Your merc will not survive, despite your best efforts to keep him alive, so don't rely on him. Carry a lot of full rejuvs and super healing potions, and some mana potions to restore your mana when Meph drains you. Other Ubers will fall quick with Smite and lots of CB.

So the idea is to use my 1-pt smite and crushing blow everyone to death? that surely seems easy but I have a few questions:

1) How to get that much crushing blow without compromising much of my gear? I do have a goblin toe somewhere (should I up it to elite since it's a normal unique boot? I have the means to do so), but that's only 25%. What other gear gives me enough CB to reach the needed breakpoint while keeping at least 90% IAS?

2) In case that the above isn't possible (keep high atk speed and high cb) won't my attack speed be very low, I mean most smiters use Fanaticism aura for quick smites (and that appears to be important)?

3) Won't I need a decent shield to smite? mine may do 1k damage at best, is that even enough?

So the idea is to use my 1-pt smite and crushing blow everyone to death? that surely seems easy but I have a few questions:

1) How to get that much crushing blow without compromising much of my gear? I do have a goblin toe somewhere (should I up it to elite since it's a normal unique boot? I have the means to do so), but that's only 25%. What other gear gives me enough CB to reach the needed breakpoint while keeping at least 90% IAS?

2) In case that the above isn't possible (keep high atk speed and high cb) won't my attack speed be very low, I mean most smiters use Fanaticism aura for quick smites (and that appears to be important)?

3) Won't I need a decent shield to smite? mine may do 1k damage at best, is that even enough?

Some low level unique items have good CB (Rixot's Keen SS 25% or Fleshrender 20% CB +DS +OW to stop heal) or Best Make Black runeword (Thul Io Nef in club hammer or mace=40%CB) in a fast weapon for the CB fast (+15%IAS) and easy, OW or long acting PSN to stop them healing is also important, so the Gores beat GT boots add GFace Orphens Set Helm at 15% DS & 35% CB and you are good to go, CB does the damage because nothing else will damage them fast enough not the base smite (smite just auto hits) but a good smite base shield will help once you get them to a sliver of life and this is when having DS/CS and a high damage shield (Exile for the life tap and ETH pal shield is sweet but costs) will help, Resists will not be as much of a problem if you have Conviction to override meth's (lvl 21 is good), lure him out and kill him first then can change auras and take the rest on 1 at a time.
See the 1pt smite guide to ubers and the Whateverdin guide in the pal guide stickys for full details

Last edited:
Ok so my plan will be just smite until they have almost no life left and then kill them by switching back to my main weapon (i deal about 6k dmg with it, and up to 10k if a hdin is present with concentration aura). i'll try that and post how it went, thanks for the help BobCox and maiku.

OK so in the end we managed to do ubers quite painlessly, and while I am satisfied with the results, IMO avengers are a nice backup if no fanat smiters are present, but the fanat smiters just kill ubers much more quickly.

Now I'm trying to focus on damage dealing. Is it possible to achevie a high damage (I'm thinking about 15k at least) with ebotdz and the aura runewords (namely dream/dragon)? If so, how high should the damage be? Is it worth it?

Pardon me for being noob, but some of you are talking about 15k or so damage. Is that before or after counting in Conviction? Is that possible for a legit SP character (no ladder rune words and no trading because one can never be 100% sure which runes/items are duped and which are not)?

I guess that without ladder runewords you could reach like 8-10k damage

How is that possible? I'm not sure if I got the maths right, but I counted, that with 190 strength, BOFT Berzerker Axe (400% ED), War Travellers adding 15-25 damage, 20 points in Vengeance and 10 points in each RL, RC, RF an avenger would do ~ 1250 - 4300 (or something like that) damage. If (big IF) I got the maths right, that's pretty far from 8-10k. I know that with items it's pretty easy to get Vengeance to 26 or something, and of course I should dump rest of my skill points to synergy skills, but even if I did that, I guess I'd still be pretty far from your 8-10k. How do you actually get that?

Don't forget the +skills items, grand charms, and of course the merc's might aura. Right now on useast ladder I have an avenger that uses ethereal oath and deals about 5.8k damage easily with a holy freeze merc and not using a fantastic gear. If I swaped that merc for a might merc and used an ebotdz plus some real godly gear I'm sure I could get to 8k.

Could you post a list of your skills and gear? I'd like to lurk a little bit. :smiley:

Currently I have level 85 avenger and the build works pretty well, but I'm not doing enough damage. I get skills from Harlequin Crest and Herald Of Zakarum, and use Crescent Moon Berzerker Axe. My Vengeance is now 20 with +skill items (14 hard points in Vengeance), and 10 hard points in each synergy. I get that 15-25 damage from War Travellers and my strenght is 177. I'm using Holy Freeze merc to get a bit crowd control. With this setup my damage is 1000-3000 or so, but it just won't cut it. I have 5 skill points saved, I think I just dump them to Vengeance.

Other than that, this build works so well, that if I could do that 5-6k damage, I think the rest of the game (I just completed Act3) would be ridicilously easy.

If you plan to stick with Crescent Moon as your weapon, it would be wise to boost RL after Vengence. If not, then it's up to you, but I'd still boost RL next because lightning immunity is the least common of the three.

Regarding damage, my old eBotDz Avenger averaged around 7.5k I think, and my eBotDz was on the low side.

If you plan to stick with Crescent Moon as your weapon, it would be wise to boost RL after Vengence.

I'm not especially planning to stick with Crescent Moon, but as I play SP and don't do trades, right now I don't have a choice. Of course BOTD or other high-end rune word would be nice, but as I have to find everything myself, I can't count on it. Would there be some particular rune words you'd suggest?

I'd have some questions about items for my avenger and Holy Freeze merc. Right now my merc uses ethereal Kelpie Snare Fuscina, but I just found almost perfect (318% ED) Bonehew Ogre Axe. Should I give Bonehew to my merc instead of Kelpie Snare? If so, what runes I should put into Bonehew, Amns?

About my previous questions about high damage. Which weapons should I look for to get that 5-6K damage? Is that possible without any high runes? Ladder rune words are out of the question, I'm not too interested in installing that RWM.

Hmm without ladder runewords I guess that you'll need high runes. Another alternative would be to find a Rune master with 5 sockets and put some %enhanced damage jewels (like 40% enhanced damage, that's the maximum). That would give you a nice damage weapon, but i'm not sure how much damage would you deal with such a weapon.

edit 2: removed my miscalculations. I've done the experiment with item editors, etc. and confirmed that with no other gear (meaning slvl 10 on the three synergies and 20 vengeance) the runemaster can get you around 4k damage (if filled with %ed damage jewels) and up to 6k with other +skills gear helping. Hope that helps!

Last edited:
Thanks for your help Norrit. Some questions follow: Isn't Rune Master a "ladder only" item, so that I can't find it in single player? When you talk about 4k damage, do you mean max damage or avarage damage?

What about with ladder runewords, with which runewords I would be able to deal most damage with decent speed? I have slvl 26 Vengeance, 24 Conviction, 10 hard points in RF and RC and 12 in RL.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High