The Apprentice Program for Scavengers - Tournament

No real update, but, I just cleared the sewers, and wanted to comment on the experience. It is weird, entering the sewers with well, just about no attacking power to speak of. I hired a prayer mer at the start, wich did all the killing at first. The first item to drop was a wrist blade. Which caused some curses :tongue: . The walking around carefully trying to off enemies one at a time is educational. Then I was very happy about finding a low quality item, I've never been happy about finding one of those. It was a low quality Trident, which effectively put my merc into bussines. The following weapon to drop, was again a wrist blade ( I don't normally find these often). But, when a studded leather and a saber fell, I was able to join my merc in battle. And currently I feel once again fully equipped.

But going into an area practically naked was a new and quite enlightening experience.

PS. Radamant dropped a shield that (if I'd been a Paladin) I might have kept

Code:
Shadow Guard
Aerin Shield
Defense: 29
Chance to Block:  57%
Durability: 129 of 150
(Paladin Only)
Required Strength: 50
Required Level: 15
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 19
Fingerprint: 0xb426fa29
+4 to Life
+10% Increased Chance of Blocking
Magic Damage Reduced by 1
All Resistances +15
15% Faster Block Rate
Socketed (2: 0 used)

:lipsrsealed:

Oh i want to write a story about my death...

Modar had just killed Blood Raven, a good victory for the light. He knew that his next challenge awaited him in the Stony Field. Wand in hand and minions behind him, he set off to the dank place to the north. Upon entering the Stony Field, Modar encountered a Foul Crow Boss Pack. They were killed with ease. Then he encountered a skeleton boss pack. This is going to be a rough day, Modar thought to himself. The skeletons fell quickly though. In the distance, Modar could see the Carin Stones, and there was Rakanishu. Desiring a challenge, Modar took his five minions and set off to kill the vile demons. When Modar reached the Carin Stones, Rakanishu and his minions ran at this minions full force. since Rakanishu was imbued with the powers of lightning, Modar's minions fell quickly. Rakanishu and his minons then set their attention on Modar, who was running away. They caught up with him. Modar fought valiantly, but he sucummed to the Rakanishu's lightning attack. With a horrible, bone chilling scream, Modar Lexon died. Rest in peace Modar.

Skunkbelly, sitting here on Wolron's account... an update on Wereskunk, who has had a busy couple of days. He is now in act 3, and has completed the Bird quest and found the Spider Forest WP.

Wereskunk will be a Fury Wolf / Summoner hybrid. Put points into WW in act 1, Spirit Wolf in Act 2 (didn't want to level too much after getting five wolves, hence the low level currently), and now I'm working on Dire Wolf. HoW and the Fury are up next for Normal difficulty.

So far in act 3, I've found a +9 resist all amulet, which could well become my act 3 souvenir unless I find something better (I can always cube it up when I have the proper perfect gems). We'll see what drops.

WPs: 20
Quests: 13
Level: 22

Souvenirs:
Act 1: Hand of Broc (2 points)
Act 2: Hsaru's boots (4 points)

TOTAL SCORE: 17

Code:
ALIVE
Character      Class      Forum Name     Level    Act     Last WP         Score
Wereskunk     Druid        Skunkbelly     22       3      Spider Forest    17
Hildr         Amazon       Horobi         12       2      Lut Gholein       4
WhiteKnight   Paladin      Jaelen         16       2      Lut Gholein       0
Sally         Amazon       EJB            16       2      Lut Gholein       0
Scavasin      Assassin     Wolron         1        1      Rogue Camp        0
Emmy          Sorceress    Stephan        1        1      Rogue Camp        0
Elizabeth     Amazon       Huriel         5        1      Cold Plains      -1
Crow          Barb         Ilshad         1        1      Rogue Camp        0
NotMyRound    Barb         EmperorMoo     1        1      Rogue Camp        1
ToBeNamed     Assassin     Online         1        1      Rogue Camp

DEAD/RETIRED
Character          Class             Forum Name       Level   Act       Death Site
Modar_Lexon        Necromancer       howdidigethere     7      1        Stony Field

Hey Wolron you got a good habit to create tourney that interest me :thumbsup: You can count me in as soon as I finish my Mephathon tour... already halfway through

Gahz

Code:
ALIVE
Hildr         Amazon       Horobi         12       2      Lut Gholein       4
Orin_S.       Necromancer  midnightvulture1        1      Rogue Camp        0

DEAD/RETIRED
Character          Class             Forum Name       Level   Act       Death Site
Modar_Lexon        Necromancer       howdidigethere     7      1        Stony Field

I'd like to join too. I probably won't play much until I finish with the Mephathon, but I can do bits and pieces when I get sick of MF runs.

Meet Orin Scrivello, DDS. His skill for Act I is Teeth. :grin: If/when we make it to Hell A5, what do we do with excess skill points after we max out our first skill? Can they be spent however we want? Distributed one at a time in the order of our other skills? Something else? This should be fun.....

mv

...Thus she went with Warriv and Deckard Cain, travelling east, towards the desert port of Lut Gholein. Certainly wiser then she was when her adventure began, but, still with a lot to learn....

10 wp + 6 Quests - 12 Levels = 4 Points

Second act will focus on the Avoid skill of the amazon.

PS. Sorry, but I felt like writing a story. If it isn't appreciated I won't post it next time.

PPS. I know it might be insanity to end Act 1 on level 12, given the increasing difficulty. But, I'm hoping it wil facilitate a more equal skill point distribution. Ah well, otherwise, on my head it'll be.

First comment: You forgot to add your points for the boots. Since you will have to wear them for the rest of the tournament, you might as well score them. Since this is Act 1, your multiplier is only 1. The boots are worth 2 points. Therefore, multiply 1 by 2 and get a score of 2 for your boots!

second comment: Keep the storyline coming.

Third comment: Another scoring reminder is that you must subtract a point for gambling at the end of the act. If I calculate these changes correctly, that means you should add two points and subtract one for a total of five.

Fourth comment: Trying to control the number of levels in certain Acts can be very important as you try to max certain skills and minimize others. Not as easy as it sounds though!:evil:

Last edited:
Oh i want to write a story about my death...

Thanks for the story. Sorry it was for the demise of Modar though.

Remember, you can reenter with another character type. It will probably get easier as you learn the ropes of this strange tournament.

Hey Wolron you got a good habit to create tourney that interest me :thumbsup: You can count me in as soon as I finish my Mephathon tour... already halfway through

Gahz

Hurry Gahzban! We need your help in this one. From my own first experience with this tournament, I can give you a hint. Plan your skill placement carefully. Maybe as people chime in with their levels at the end of acts 1 and 2, it will be easier to make some of those decisions. It appears that you can get to levels 10 through 16 in act 1 depending on your coverage of the areas. Hmmm, ...

Meet Orin Scrivello, DDS. His skill for Act I is Teeth. :grin: If/when we make it to Hell A5, what do we do with excess skill points after we max out our first skill? Can they be spent however we want? Distributed one at a time in the order of our other skills? Something else? This should be fun.....

mv

Welcome MNV!!

Good question. In general, when you max a skill, all other skill points awarded in the act become wild cards that you can use anywhere. Of course, that means that even though you may max the Act 1 skill by using other wild card skills (Den of Evil, Radament, Izual) to push it to the required maximum of twenty, you cannot take advantage of it until Hell Act 5 when you get your second chance at that skill.

This question might be extended to discuss strategies concerning whether or not you want to use other wild card skills (Den of Evil, Radament, Izual) to assure that you do max out some of your skills. You will have 12 of those natural wild cards if you get through Hell Act 4! (I will not try to answer that because I have not decided on it myself.) Enjoy!

After listening to lady Atma's story Hildr decided to make sure the kind lady would get her revenge. When the Mercenary captain heard of this noble quest he decided to offer Hildr one of his men as company. Hildr gladly accepted, as the knowledge of a local and the skills of another fighter would both come in handy. Thus, together they descended into the sewers of Lut Gholein. On their way to fight the monster that had killed Atma's husband and had terrorized this town with it's and it's minion's presence....

... When Radamant's poison cloud hit her, Hildr got flashbacks from her fight with Andariel, and struggled to keep on her feet. But this time, something was different, while she felt the poison entering her body it didn't bother her as much, her body seemed to regenerate itself along with the poison's damage. Then a light went on in her head, that must be the Aura Hazade talked about, she thought.. Thus she was able to keep fighting, however, in the end it was her companion Hazade who dealt the final thrust, killing the monstrous creature....

...They decided to step through the gate together, into the unknown. When Hildr opened her eyes again, she was amazed and yet on her guard. As the Arcane sanctuary was a intruging place, it seemed it was hovering in the night sky. It seemed to expend into eternity into all directions. Hazade looked at her, "ready?" he asked. She nodded, "ready". And on they went trying to find the Journal of the Summoner named Horazon...

...The Unraveler fell to the down, scattering it's treasures on the ground. Hildr didn't even take real notice, mentally preparing herself for another battle with a great demon. But, Hazade felt something and beckoned Hildr to hold still. "What is it?", she asked, Hazade pointed towards a weapon among the rubble in the pile. "It's special," he said, I can feel it, he picked it up. It felt incredibly light for such a big weapon. "That's go real fast," Hazade said, "Let's take it to Cain, he'll be able to identify it's properties." It was an experience that taught Hildr to allways consider the itemst dropped by every monster...

... Duriel was relentless, chasing the two of them around in his cage for what had seemed like forever. And it was becoming harder with every next step to keep going. And, although, Hazade's prayer aura helped against Duriel's freezing cold one, the cold was getting to them. And they turned again, running to the other side of the hole they were in, and as a miracle within miracles, Hazade was able to get of some more shots, and stabbed Duriel in the gut three times. He seemed to be doing most of the fighting at this point, Hildr couldn't even remember getting of a shot toward Duriel herself, he seemed to fast, and getting hit just hurt to much. But, her companion didn't really seem to mind. And round another corner they went, and again, Hazade seemed to do the impossible, getting of some hits without getting hit himself...

... The freezing cold of Duriel's aura was really getting to her now. Her body just seemed to cold to move, the only thing keeping her going at this was the warmth at her core, radiating from Hazade's aura. She turned, shot, and hit, and yet, Duriel seemed unfazed. But, when they went around the corner again and Hazade got af some more hits Duriel suddenly collapsed and seemed to decompose into nothingness. Hildr collapsed and lay herself down (or more accurately fell) to the ground. But, now with the freezing cold gone and her companion's aura still active she felt better quickly...

...When the rounded the corner and looked into tal rasha's chamber for the very first time, the sight they saw was not what they had expected. Instead of Tal Rasha himself struggling with a Prime Evil, they saw, well, they didn't really know what he was. But according to his looks, Hildr thought the description Angel, as in the bed time stories she was told was told as a child fitted him best. But, he was obviously a being of the light, so they hurried to assist him...

... "I won't hear 'no' for an answer," Hazade said, "I am accompanying you on this journey. Wether you like it or not." Thus, Hildr caved, and to be frank, she was actually quite happy he would continue to be there for her. As she had come to rely on both his wisdom and his fighting skills to help her through this adventure. They decided to take the weapon Hazade had found as a souvenir, as it had proven most usefull and it had taught Hildr a valuable lesson in her journey....

Code:
ALIVE
Hildr         Amazon       Horobi         20       3      Kurast Docks     18

DEAD/RETIRED

19WP+12Q+(1*2 (boots))+(2*3(merc Weapon))-20LVL-1GMBL=18 Points

Skills:
11 Critical Strike (58%)
1 Dodge (prereq)
7 Avoid (50%)
2 Wild Cards saved

Next skill to train will be Dodge. With Evade, Decoy and Valkyrie following, in that order, unless I specifically state otherwise in an upcoming posts. (Indeed, I am hoping to make a Tankazon). This will make fighting Diablo and Baal scary, but, if I get through that I actually stand a chance of getting quite far ( I hope).

BTW, killing Duriel by keeping running around your merc (because the demon won't stand still to attack your merc) is a scary, time consuming and annoying way to kill him.

PS. Quick question. I am assuming, since arrows can be taken anyway, assigning arrows to a specific slot can't count as a souvenir?
PPS. Sorry about the scores in the last one. I think it is correct now.

Niki burst out of the Rogue Encampment in annoyance screaming "I'm not a Scav, and I'm not out of my diapers!". The rest was history. She planned to make firey mess of anything she met by throwing little fire blasts at them.

The creatures around the camp all fell and dropped their pitiful wares. Every rock was turned, every hole entered and every creature seen slain, and yet, nothing Niki deemed a true trophy was found.

I did full clears of everywhere, trying desperately to get to Lvl 17, but could only manage about 16.7, therefore she has 15 points in Fire Blast, which really made a mess of pretty much everything in Act 1 on /players 1.

WP (10*1) = 10
Qst (6*1) = 6
Level 16 = -16
Gambled Act 1 = -1
Act 1 Reward (rare boots, 2*1) = 2
[highlight]Total: 1[/highlight]

Code:
ALIVE
Niki          Assassin     Butzull        16       2      Lut Gholein       1

DEAD/RETIRED

I'll decide on the Act 2 skill shortly and keep you informed.

[highlight]Niki, L16 Trapassin, Act 2 Normal, Radament next.[/highlight]

Butz. :dunce:

Finishing Act 1 and killing Andariel was easy. Deciding on a souvenir was not. The choices were "Biggins Bonnet", "Arctic Furs", "Arctic Binding" and a Rare belt embued by Charsi. I also had rare gloves and boots, but they were not in the running for souvenir honors. If I could have kept both the arctic items, that would have been tempting. Even the Arctic Binding belt by itself was seriously considered, but the two tier belt is not my style. Biggins Bonnet was considered for the merc, but I am going to try to wait until later for those merc items and get the added scoring bonus. So, that meant that I kept the rare belt for my souvenir. As you can see by the following list of mods, it is less than just "poor". Nonetheless, it will be nice to always have a belt when Scavasin starts a new level. Later, If I want to spice it up a bit, I can upgrade it. Probably not.

Grim Buckle
Belt
Defense: 7
Durability: 16 of 16
Required Strength: 25
Required Level: 7
Fingerprint: 0xe4106e5d
+20 to Maximum Stamina
+28% Enhanced Defense
Lightning Resist +5%
Replenish Life +4
10% Faster Hit Recovery

SCORE:
10WP+6Q+(1*2 (belt)) - 16 levels= 2 Points

Skills:
15 Fire Blast
1 Wild Card saved

Other skills that she intends to develop are: Fade, Shadow Warrior, Lightning Sentry, Death Sentry, Charged Bolt Sentry, Shock Web, Blade Fury or wake of Inferno. The final order has not been chosen yet, but the level two skill will be Fade. The hope is to get Fade to about level 4; that will give duration about 2 and one half minutes with 38 resist all. Later skill mods may raise that a little. I hope that this will allow me to skim through act 2 rather quickly. If I get to the tombs and still need a couple more levels, I will do a couple of the false tombs before killing Duriel.

Code:
ALIVE
Scavasin      Assassin     Wolron         16       2      Lut Gholein       2

DEAD/RETIRED

Just a small update for me. Just saved Cain. Everything is going smooth so far.

RL is getting real hectic at the moment, so it may be a while before I update again. 2 jobs + school = very busy.

SCORE:
4WP+ 3Q - 10 levels= -3 Points

Code:
ALIVE
Scavasin      Assassin     Wolron         16       2      Lut Gholein       2
NotMyRound    Barb         EmperorMoo     1        1      Rogue Camp        0
ToBeNamed     Assassin     Online         1        1      Rogue Camp        0
Crow          Barb         Ilshad         10       1      Dark Wood        -3

DEAD/RETIRED

Scavasin has killed Duriel and moved on to the Kurast Docks. The Act 2 Souvenir is a 3 socketed Large Shield. Three perfect diamonds are the intent unless Ral Ort Tal are found before the first perfect diamond appears.

SCORE: Total of 14 Points
19WP+12Q-21 levels= 10 Points
Act 1 Souvenir = Belt (1x2 = 2 Points)
Act 2 Souvenir = Large Shield (2x1 = 2 Points)
Skills:
15 Fire Blast
3 Fade
Claw Mastery and Burst of speed
2 Wild Card saved

Other skills that she intends to develop are: Shadow Warrior, Lightning Sentry, Death Sentry, Charged Bolt Sentry, Shock Web, Blade Fury or wake of Inferno. The final order has not been chosen yet, but the Act 3 skill will be Shadow Warrior. The intent is to do a full clear and build a robust SW. That will be at the expense of killing power because the option was to develop Lightning Sentry. Current plan is to go with Shock Web in Act 4 and then Lightning Sentry in Act 5.
Code:
ALIVE
Scavasin      Assassin     Wolron         21       3      Kurast Docks      14
NotMyRound    Barb         EmperorMoo     1        1      Rogue Camp        0
ToBeNamed     Assassin     Online         1        1      Rogue Camp        0
Crow          Barb         Ilshad         10       1      Dark Wood        -3

DEAD/RETIRED

Code:
ALIVE
Character      Class      Forum Name       Level   Act    Last WP         Score
Hildr         Amazon       Horobi           20      3     Kurast Docks      18
Wereskunk     Druid        Skunkbelly       22      3     Spider Forest     17
Scavasin      Assassin     Wolron           21      3     Kurast Docks      14
Niki          Assassin     Butzull          16      2     Lut Gholein       1
Danni         Amazon       pwangsta         16      2     Lut Gholein       1
WhiteKnight   Paladin      Jaelen           16      2     Lut Gholein       0
Sally         Amazon       EJB              16      2     Lut Gholein       0
Emmy          Sorceress    Stephan          1       1     Rogue Camp        0
NotMyRound    Barb         EmperorMoo       1       1     Rogue Camp        0
ToBeNamed     Assassin     Online           1       1     Rogue Camp        0
Orin_S.       Necromancer  midnightvulture  1       1     Rogue Camp        0
Elizabeth     Amazon       Huriel           5       1     Cold Plains      -1
Crow          Barb         Ilshad           10      1     Dark Wood        -3

DEAD/RETIRED
Character          Class          Forum Name       Level   Act    Death Site
Modar_Lexon        Necromancer    howdidigethere     7      1     Stony Field
I'm entering this tourney with Danni the Amazon, who just killed Andariel and is hoping that her brand new buddy Fazel can hold off some skellies long enough for her to get some equipment. As her souvenir from Act 1, she chose a gambled goodie:

Heavy Gloves of Fortune
Defense: 6
Durability: 14 of 14
Required Level: 12
Fingerprint: 0x8445dc07
20% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

The mf should come in handy throughout the rest of the game since she will be starting acts nearly naked for the forseeable future. The skill selection so far has been very simple:

Magic Arrow - 15
Inner Sight - 1

For Act 2, Danni will focus on increasing her skill with Lightning Bolt. Strategy-wise, I'm gonna try to zip through Act 2 as quickly as possible, hoping to finish by level 20. That way, I can be a little bit under-leveled heading into Act 3, where I'm gonna kill every single monster I can find and try to pour as many points into Charged Strike as I can.

Score:

Waypoints: +10
Quests: +6
Levels: -16
Gambling: -1
Souvenir: +2

Total: 10 + 6 - 16 - 1 + 2 = 1

Last edited:
Hurry Gahzban! We need your help in this one. From my own first experience with this tournament, I can give you a hint. Plan your skill placement carefully. Maybe as people chime in with their levels at the end of acts 1 and 2, it will be easier to make some of those decisions. It appears that you can get to levels 10 through 16 in act 1 depending on your coverage of the areas. Hmmm, ...

Hmmm I already got a plan :evil: If everything go right I should start the tourney by the end of the week...

Seem like you always got a tourney to slow my sc project... I got a necro blizzballer in mind that I want to test...

Gahz

Code:
ALIVE
Wereskunk     Druid        Skunkbelly       25      3     Flayer Jungle     18

DEAD/RETIRED

A little more progress. Wereskunk is plowing through act 3 nicely, but then, since it's still only p3, that's no surprise. No particularly wonderful finds so far... but then, I've still got a ways to go.

Looks like fun, I'm in. :grin: Haven't played a pasty white guy in a while - I'll go with a Summoner. A1 will be skellies, and I'll go by instinct after that. I'm not really big on the planning thing. :badteeth:

Code:
ALIVE
Scavamancer   Necromancer  AlterEgo         1       1     Rogue Camp        0

DEAD/RETIRED

I'll jump in this one too, haven't ever really played a trapsin before, so I'll give one of those a shot. They even have my favorite skill - corpse explosion :thumbsup: .
I'll start off with fireblast, then probably fade. After that, I'll play it by ear.
Code:
ALIVE
Irore         Assassin     Glenstorm        1       1     Rogue Camp        0

DEAD/RETIRED

Code:
ALIVE
Danny         Necromancer  pwangsta         1       1     Rogue Camp        0
Irore         Assassin     Glenstorm        1       1     Rogue Camp        0

DEAD/RETIRED
Danni              Amazon         pwangsta           21     2     Duriel
Deeds for Danni. Everything went pretty smoothly until the she got squashed by the ugly bug. Unfortunately Duriel simply refused to attack my merc, despite me being ranged and all, and chased me around relentlessly. I cast a tp but couldn't make it in time because the bug stunned me just long enough on a lucky charge to kill me with a slash. I've never seen that type of behavior from him before -> I've always counted on the merc to tank, at least for a while, but this time he just wouldn't stop chasing me around. Well anyways, Danni shall be avenged by her brother Danny, the (somewhat creepy but nonetheless loyal) necromancer.

Danni's Final Score
Waypoints: +18
Quests: +10
Levels: -21
Gambling: -1
Souvenirs: +2

Total: +8

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High