The 1pt smiter guide to Uber Tristram v 1.0.

Some numbers regarding 1pt Smite vs. 20pt Smite. I thought posting here is a better place. All numbers are average and depend on how lucky you are on triggering CB, except for the 100% case ofcourse. I use the same CB trigger numbers to compare between 1pt smite and 20pt smite, essentially the difference is due strictly to smite level and not CB %.

Case 1.
Weapon: No Grief, atleast 50%CB (Death or LW)
Helm: Guilface, 35% CB
Boot: Gore, 15% CB
Shield: zakarum, dmg 108 avg*
* Assume using lvl 20 holy shield
* Assume CB cap at 100%, but result will not change much if not
- Total 100%CB
- 108 * 3.88 (fana+1pt smite) + 108 = 527 smite dmg, 1pt
- 108 * 6.73 (fana+max smite) + 108 = 835 smite dmg, 20pt

1ppl Meph kill speed
1pt Smite: 7.90 seconds at max smite speed
20pt Smite: 7.26 seconds at max smite speed
Time saved: 0.64 seconds

Case 2.
Weapon: No Grief, 30% CB
- Total 80%CB
- 108 * 3.88 (fana+1pt smite) + 108 = 527 smite dmg, 1pt
- 108 * 6.73 (fana+max smite) + 108 = 835 smite dmg, 20pt

1ppl Meph kill speed
1pt Smite: 9.84 seconds at max smite speed
20pt Smite: 8.71 seconds at max smite speed
Time saved: 1.13 seconds

Case 3.
Weapon: Grief, 340 dmg
- Total 50%CB
- (108+340) * 3.88 (fana+1pt smite) + (108+340) = 2186 smite dmg, 1pt
- (108+340) * 6.73 (fana+max smite) + (108+340) = 3463 smite dmg, 20pt

1ppl Meph kill speed
1pt Smite: 8.71 seconds at max smite speed
20pt Smite: 7.26 seconds at max smite speed
Time saved: 1.45 seconds

You'll decide on if less than 2 seconds worth lowering your zeal or defense.

Perhaps this is the wrong place, but I think I'll ask anyways. It's probably been asked a million times, but I'm still going to get an answer from someone on here, because I trust you guys. CoH...or Fort? I can afford either. I saw nothing on here mentioning CoH, but I figured I'd ask anyways.

I personally suggest Fortitude, unless you're in dire need of Resists.

CoH was mentioned in the guide as an option as well, under the CB-oriented rich section. Fortitude was placed in the Damage-oriented rich section.

Great looking guide. One thing you left out of it are possible Merc setups. A good mercenary can often make or break a character's success.

For a smiter/Zealer, you're going to want a Might mercenary for certain.

Poor:
Bonehew (Shael/Amn or Amn/Amn, or Hel+Amn or even Hel/Shael)
Duriel's shell (15% IAS jewel or resists jewel/rune)
Tal's Hat with Um or IAS jewel (best merc helm, bar none)

Middle Class:
Eth Obedience: very effective for it's price.
Leviathon OR eth Duress OR Eth Stone
Tal's hat with Um

Rich:
Pride in an Eth Great Poleaxe. That Concentration aura will help your dmg quite a bit.
Eth Fort. Make sure you glitch out that eth armor. you'll get 3k+ defense out of it.
Tal's hat with Um or an all resists jewel with awesome mods.

With the "rich" gear setup, your merc will have a lot of life, a lot of defense, maxed resists, 10% life leech, and give you two dmg modifying auras. Concentration+Fanat+Might will make you kill things rather quickly, I'd wager.

I've never built a smiter, but I'd use that "rich" merc setup for almost ANY melee character. This is just my two cents to a VERY good looking guide.

An Argument might be made for Andy's visage over Tal's hat, but I prefer the life/resists bonus in conjunction with the 10% leech. I guess it's perference, but for the price and availability of Tal's hat, it cannot be beaten.

Hetch
*hetchman

For Uber trist itself though, I would get someone to deal with my merc. It's just not worth the risk.

personally I'd choose HF merc over might on a zealot anyday, with good gear you do not need might merc, as you'll kick everything easely anyways.

I wanted to make sure that a 1 pt smiter was effective at gettin those keys, so I made a hacked one :rolleyes:

uped hoz
grief
coh
gores
guillames
maras
2x ravens
dracs

a bunch of combat and a annihilus

maxe fanat
maxed zeal
maxed sacri
1 pt smite
rest into synergies and defiance

some problems:
zeal does only 1.3k damage?! Only reason i got the keys was cuz of lifetap, max block, big def
smite does only 1.9k?! very odd

yeah, the damage was SO low. what were the problems?

First of all your REAL smite damage will be about 5-6k average and your REAL zeal damage around 9k average per zeal,with this setup. Grief damage is hidden,(just like deadly strike damage) ,the Lying Character Screen (LCS) fails to show real stats. If you think he can't kill then it is a placebo effect from the opposite I'm afraid. And mara's + combat skillers are useless for zealots. Use highlord's and max/ar/life charms instead.

Ok so like, lets say you aren't a noob and want to actually have a real setup with a real merc...
Grief
Pheonix
Fort
Seraph?
Bul-kx2?
Gore
Nosf
Drac
I cant believe there isnt anythign better than guillaums... CoA? Andys?

Merc
Eth Fort
Eth Andys
Eth Infinity

Charms etc...
is that it?

Seraph is not the best zealot amulet,use highlord's. Bk ring is one of the worst choice for rings,leech that isn't significant in hell and skill that doesn't help your damage. For pvm Guil is the helm yes. Coa is for pvp setups.

Is it just me, or does that setup have no CBF at all? That will get you killed fast. I would switch out the rings for Ravenfrost and maybe a dual leech ring.

Great Guide

Well, first of all, you made a great guide. The basics of a smiter were pretty clear to me before but your gear suggestions, espescially for the poor to medium rich players, let me make a solo trist smiter.

Tonight I made my first uber trist run. Never done a joined run either, so i didn''t exactedly know what to expect, except for the stories on the forum.

I couldn't trade everything but this is how i did it.
Gear:
The Redeerer (shael)
Shako
Herald of Zakarum (diamond)
Tal Rasha's Armor
Gore Rider
Goldwrap
Dracul's Grasp
Raven Frost
Dwarf Star
The Cat's Eye
1 combat skiller
2 offensive aura skillers

Smite damage (max smite, holy shield and fanatism):
1370-1504

Resists: Stuffed inbox with resist charms.
Fire 110
Cold 119
Lightning 129
Poison 40

Well, I should call this something in between poor and medium rich.
I thought making a build with max resist and max smite attack speed.
The Dwarf Star doesn't make any sense, I know, but I didn't have something else.

This gear is affordable for many players I think and it took me not more than 5 minutes to discover tristram and kill the ubers. I died once, by mephisto, before life tap was casted and I didn't react in time with life potions)
After it was casted, in the second try, it was easy without having to use potions.
The other two ubers came at me at together and I only needed some mana potions (nasty mana burn of Baal) to kill them.

The result, the only one I didn't want, an assassin torch. @#*!$% Useless character I think but that's an other thread.

I'm glad that the guide was helpful to you. A few notes:
In the gear selection,the redeemer setup by mistake has 20 ias less than the actual needed for max speed. Next time you do the run,you could use a a 15ias jewel somewhere for max speed, since you have 20 from shael,20 from cat's and 10 from goldwrap.
In order to protect yourself until life tap triggers,try to have 3-4 full rejuvenation potions ready.
You did the run with only 15% crushing blow. I'm not a fan of excessive use of crushing blow and you just confirmed this: With a fast attack like smite even minimal use of cb effect can do the trick. However,to speed up the things,next time you could try a guil face instead of shako.
Dwarf star isn't irrelevant in uber trist,it has handy fire absorb and life bonus.

i must ask aboout breakpoints.
on 20 lvl fana

smite
isas:0 % fps:7 aps:3.5
ias:20 % fps:6 aps:4.1

zeal
ias:0 % fps:5 aps:5
ias:24 % fps:4 aps:6.2

so i need ONLY 25ias with 20 lvl fanaticism to get both breakpoints? and why zeal is 4fps and smite is 6fps..

First, zeal and smite breakpoints,besides the level of fanaticism,depend on the base speed of your weapon. Second,zeal is faster because it's the way it is.It hits faster and many targets=great crowd control=far superior skill than smite for pvm.

also, do all +damage items apply to smite? I am usin butchers pupil and am wondering whether it affects it or not.

also, I have a Butchers pupil, Sureshrill Frost and a Moonfall. what is going to be best 4 this zealot if it has 30 ias from sigons?

Butcher's pupil has the "adds xx-xx damage" mod, which is different than the "+ xx damage" mod. Only a handful of items offer that, redeemer,astreon's,stone crusher,grief runeword. Of all the weapons you mentioned,pupil is the best choice and you will be zealing at 5fpa with 30% ias from sigons. If you can't afford hi-end gear for after lvl 50+,get a lightsabre, cheap and effective.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High