SUTC4: The "Pick Your Poison, and Pass It On!" Tournament

Re: SUTC4: The "Pick Your Poison, and Pass It On!" Tournament

[highlight]Cedric has killed Mephisto[/highlight]

I got a great map for running Meph, but that doesn't help in this tourney!

Beedle has defeated Mephisto and gone to the Pandemonium Fortress.

She had an easy cruise through act III, she's pretty strong and needs minimal gear. No problem at P8 the whole way, full clears all areas.

She had trouble at first with StormTree, as he is lightning immune, the merc couldn't do enough dmg (and kept dying) and the shadow died very quickly. However, Beedle had found a Woestave earlier in the act. With the change from a savage partizan to Woestave he went from dying quickly to chewing up StormTree no problem. Seeing this I upgraded it (still not great damage, but better) and kept in on the merc after that! I was amazed how effective this weapon was.

Also, here is a nice orb that Beedle found:
Stone Whorl
Glowing Orb
One-Hand Damage: 8 to 21
Durability: 16 of 20
(Sorceress Only)
Required Level: 42
Orb Class - Fast Attack Speed
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 53
Fingerprint: 0x5afbb61c
+28 to Life
+28 to Mana
Magic Damage Reduced by 3
Fire Resist +19%
+2 to Sorceress Skill Levels
20% Faster Cast Rate
+2 to Fire Wall (Sorceress Only)
+1 to Teleport (Sorceress Only)
+2 to Fire Ball (Sorceress Only)
12% Chance to cast Level 4 Nova on striking

Other finds (some already posted I think) were a skiller, Fal, Dol runes and a +2 M.A. gloves.

CB

[highlight]Kingsley killed Mephisto[/highlight]

I didn't have time to do thorough clears at high player counts, but he was a pretty safe character and was always at /players 3 or more. He did have some exciting moments along the way, though. I had a bit of panic when I went to cube Khalim's Will and realized I didn't have the brain. I had left it on the ground at the chest somehow and fortunately was able to trudge back down to find it. If I had saved and exited at some point between there and realizing the mistake, I would have been in a serious quandry.

@CB: I'm a big fan of Woestave and have had a merc use an ethereal upped one for quite some time. I think I recall seeing a screenshot of an ethereal double-upped one, socketed with perhaps an Amn, with the caption "Woestave of Doom!" or something to that effect. It was probably from b.net, though. Savage polearms via the diamond recipe work well but those will never be ethereal, of course. Classic PvP has a build dedicated to using Woestave, the Woebarb, which is surprisingly effective but not on a par will a well-built PvP barb, apparently.

Teddy has killed Mephisto.

Or actually, his slave did for the most part. The moat trick with low lvl FoH was too boring so I resurrected a few times.

[highlight]Quirrel has reached the Pandemonium Fortress.[/highlight]

The end of the act was very kind item-wise, culminating in this drop. The poignard and cedar bow were even worth keeping. He didn't get as many levels as I would have liked, since I wasn't patient enough to go any higher than p5 due to slow kill speed. He was safe when I got him, and after I put a couple of points into War Cry he got even safer.

mv

Wow! Skullder´s and WWS in the same drop.
(The same show-off items that my No-Vita Paladin is very proud of (and he is still fond of them almost a whole difficulty later...)).

Only Sirpoopsalot and Skunkbelly are still left to report. You think that I am anxious? Well, yes.:jig:

I think I'm out...

... not due to a character death, but my computer is acting up to the point that it crashes if I make it 'think' too hard (read: running D2 causes it to quickly overheat to the point of shutdown). Every time I've tried to progress with Severus lately, the comp has crashed before I could scramble to the next waypoint. My recent gambling spree was completed in 90-second intervals, but I can't tolerate that 'back-and-forth' for HC play.

Sorry I didn't post earlier - I was hoping a thorough cleaning (conducted last night) would help. It didn't. Good luck everyone.

Note: If someone wants to step into my role, I'd gladly send Severus and my stash along. He's at the Flayer Jungle waypoint (full clears completed for the Flayer Dungeon, Swampy Pit, and previous areas).

Drop me (and Skunkbelly) a PM if interested.

Bummer poops. I hope your computer stops its shenanigans soon.

mv

I'd hop in, but I don't get all the rules, so if someone could help me get started I'll play.

I
... not due to a character death, but my computer is acting up to the point that it crashes if I make it 'think' too hard (read: running D2 causes it to quickly overheat to the point of shutdown). Every time I've tried to progress with Severus lately, the comp has crashed before I could scramble to the next waypoint. My recent gambling spree was completed in 90-second intervals, but I can't tolerate that 'back-and-forth' for HC play.
/OT Overheating is invariably due to fan/cooling system not working properly. Don't keep booting your computer until you isolate/fix the problem! Or you risk other components malfunctioning.

Needless to say, back up all your data.

@Cygnus, yeah, I know. With a few days of spring here, I haven't felt much like doing anything with the comp anyways, so it's been little more than an occasional music server and spam-producing-box.

I'd hop in, but I don't get all the rules, so if someone could help me get started I'll play.

First & foremost, if you're volunteering to take over my spot, please post your email so I can send you the character you'll need to complete Act3 Nightmare with.

Otherwise, if some of the rules aren't clear, please post specific questions to get that straightened out. Simply put though, this tournament goes in two-week cycles where:
a) you get a character in the mail
b) you play that character for one act, completing every quest
c) you wait for Skunkbelly to post a "send your characters" post
d) you send the character you just played to someone
e) if you die, you're out of the tournament
f) go to step a

Stepping in for me, there are a couple of other rules you'll need to remember while playing your character:

1. Every character you play will need to put 4 points into Vitality every time you levelup (the other stat point, as well as any skill points gained, can go any place you want).

2. Every character you play can only equip rare-quality items, except for items that are 'personalized' by the Act5 quest (so there's already a Tarnhelm that was personalized by a character named Ginny that you can wear). Your mercenary is not bound by this restriction.

3. you cannot re-run any area, chest, or boss. You can only kill any monster once - so don't plan on making MF runs.

PS. You're in Colorado too, huh? Lovely weather we're having, isn't it?

@Cygnus, yeah, I know. With a few days of spring here, I haven't felt much like doing anything with the comp anyways, so it's been little more than an occasional music server and spam-producing-box.

First & foremost, if you're volunteering to take over my spot, please post your email so I can send you the character you'll need to complete Act3 Nightmare with.

Otherwise, if some of the rules aren't clear, please post specific questions to get that straightened out. Simply put though, this tournament goes in two-week cycles where:
a) you get a character in the mail
b) you play that character for one act, completing every quest
c) you wait for Skunkbelly to post a "send your characters" post
d) you send the character you just played to someone
e) if you die, you're out of the tournament
f) go to step a

Stepping in for me, there are a couple of other rules you'll need to remember while playing your character:

1. Every character you play will need to put 4 points into Vitality every time you levelup (the other stat point, as well as any skill points gained, can go any place you want).

2. Every character you play can only equip rare-quality items, except for items that are 'personalized' by the Act5 quest (so there's already a Tarnhelm that was personalized by a character named Ginny that you can wear). Your mercenary is not bound by this restriction.

3. you cannot re-run any area, chest, or boss. You can only kill any monster once - so don't plan on making MF runs.

PS. You're in Colorado too, huh? Lovely weather we're having, isn't it?

Ok so when I pass on the char I have, the next one I play will be NM act 4?

The stat limitation is that per player or per char, and I can assume that will come with teh word doc for that char?

The one thing that REALLY confused me is how the items work, other than that it seemed fairly simple. The skills I'd have to re-read a few times but I think I could get it.

And yeah, great snow, I wish it would stick though, gimme sunshine or snow, I don't care, just no rain or snow thats pretending to be rain.

E-mail is [email protected]

I've sent the character, and the ATMA 5.05 stash of items I've found within this tournament. Good luck.

Ok so when I pass on the char I have, the next one I play will be NM act 4?

yep, all characters (and players) advance through one act every ~2 weeks. Currently the tournament is completing Act3, and getting ready to start Act4 (in Nightmare).

The stat limitation is that per player or per char, and I can assume that will come with teh word doc for that char?

The limitation is per player. So every character you play throughout this tournament must conform to that limitation.

Other players have different limitations, but that's entirely their concern... you don't need to track anything with a character, so there isn't any document keeping track of that.

The one thing that REALLY confused me is how the items work, other than that it seemed fairly simple. The skills I'd have to re-read a few times but I think I could get it.

This is the exact same as the stats - each player must always conform to his own restriction. So, you must always use ONLY rare items you've found in the tournament, on each character you play. But you never need to concern yourself with other players equipment (or what your character was using when he was played by the previous person).

When you complete an act with any given character, you'll need to remove all of the equipment you have used (as well as the gold from your inventory, but the character keeps the Horadric Cube). When the character is 'naked' (except for the cube), you can send the character to the next person, but you always keep the items and gold you've accumulated.

... hopefully that clears it up.

And yeah, great snow, I wish it would stick though, gimme sunshine or snow, I don't care, just no rain or snow thats pretending to be rain.

I'm close(ish) to Boulder and there hasn't been anything here yet that was pretending to be rain... and we had our sun yesterday. Nevertheless, it's the first time I've seen it go from a beautiful ~85 Fahrenheit one day to literally snowing the next. We'll probably have a tornado tomorrow. :grin:

Welcome, Genraek! Sorry poops.

Switches for Act 4:

1 erimatbrad - sends to 2
2 Hoop76 - sends to 6
3 Wolron - sends to 8
4 Skunkbelly - sends to 4 :rolleyes:
5 purplelocust - sends to 1
6 Westxylophone - sends to 7
7 soepgroente - sends to 3
8 jiansonz - sends to 11
9 crazy_bear - sends to 5
10 midnightvulture - sends to 10 :rolleyes:
11 Genraek - sends to 9

Good luck, all!

Elphias has been sent to Jiansonz.

I've got to stop un-equipping characters before I see the switch list. GL in the next round everyone.

mv

Does this mean I'm behind on my switch and I have to get my *** in gear?

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High