SPF Quest for Guardians in Progress thread

Well. It's Over.
Watch this cute Snapchip Shatter, a crowning achievement of unpleasantness for a place that had already crawled with sirens and gloams and ghosts. Repulsive little backwater.

33.JPEG

With that out of the way Feofasia took on the ancients.

She failed.

Pathetically.

Pitifully.

Several times.

Until I got too disappointed and quit.

The shadow warrior is at 20 points not much of a warrior at all. Her puny health is a joke when compared to her valkyrie and golem and bear colleagues with the same point investment. She is even beaten at that game by town guards, and THAT is nothing short of embarrassing.

As for Alhizeer his skills are half useful at the summit. Holy Freeze is almost useless while the slowing from Woestave is apparent, but a detriment when facing Talic as he stays in hitting range longer when whirling... Neither is being enough to last long enough against the ancients. Three rows of potions run out all too soon even when the ancients have been separated by a teleporting amulet.

The answer would obviously have been to stock up on wands of life tap rather than healing potions to sustain long fights against Madawc and Korlic at least, and leave potions for emergencies when Talic whirls. And use a town guard with Prayer rather than Holy Freeze. Because for some damned reason Alhizeer stopped regenerating until given a potion which ruined the whole hit and run attrition Feofasia had going during one of the lost matches. My theory is that one ancient had a weapon of vileness, otherwise it's one nasty bug to encounter.

And ranged tactics with a resummone dshadow and blade fury failed miserably with said shadow being both too expensive and too weak and Feofasias hit rating with blade fury suddenly abysmal despite having been workable against almost everything so far.

After a shameful dozen or so of tries in two sessions she rolled a barely, by the smallest margin, manageable trio and waited and slugged through it.

34.JPEG

35.JPEG

36.JPEG

37.JPEG

Finally through the summit this would have been a convenient time to quit but I didn't know if he gate opens when you have completed the quest or if you would have to fight the ancients again, so better to claim that last waypoint. And without cloaking. Because cloaking crashes the game on regular occasions as noted earlier not least in Act V. And of course an army of Black Souls are occupying the keeps second level...how nice after the heaps of succubi on the first. Terrifically comical to combat these packs without cloaking away their ranged attacks. Feofasia truly felt like a stealthy assassin barging into these ambushes in brainless frontal assaults and panicked retreats.

After clearing pratically every corner of the first two levels, at long last were the waypoint and Feofasia could get some rest before the final stretch.

The Throne of Destruction had no stair trap but held a garrison of burning souls which were extremely annoying.

38.JPEG

After that the waves of Baal and he himself were comparatively harmless and the only danger was lacking attention due to the disappointing setbacks. The councillors and their hydras were probably the most risky. But it wasn't enough and Baal fell after doing nothing for a short while, as is ever the case with the Woestave.

39.JPEG

40.JPEG

Feofasia is a guardian at last but the least joyous one I've guardianed. A character that is a combination of too many bright ideas of which none had room enough to be done justice.

Some progress has been made. I went back and ran Andariel in NM and in the first encounter I got a shiny new axe.

1656516808616.png

This was taken prior to hitting 48 and finding the axe, so the damage is a bit off, but other than that its the same:

1656516853523.png

Overall a bit challenging swinging a two-handed axe with minimal defenses. Damage is top notch though. I need to get some DR# or DR% to drastically increase my survivability.

Reactions: BBS_Agonistes
Nice find! For some reason I've always enjoyed characters swinging those massive 2h axes around.

Reactions: coju
I am officially level 76 and running the countess. This is a bit rough. I am using the same axe and I did find Duriel's shell finally off Andariel.
My options are run Countess until an Um drops and make a Crescent Moon or go to NM, run Andariel until I get a String of Ears and possibly Rockstopper to give me some much needed DR% to keep me alive.

Have made it to level 81! This is a pretty rough character. 2-handed Axes and a Cold Mercenary? Ouch. My best axe is still my Humongous that has been upgraded once since I've yet to craft anything useful (4 elite axes all less than 100%ED :( )
I'm starting to run into unbreakables and just reached Lower Kurast which I will grind until I get that Um rune I think.
It took about 4 total hours to weed my way through the Jungles and got a fair amount of NDEs.

OK, I've decided to join in the fun with Zeleg the Fanazealot!

Never made Guardian on a character before. Mainly played SC, but took a few characters to late NM in Hardcore. I just finished a Fanazealot in SC, untwinked, so I decided to repeat that since it's fresh in my mind. I changed my keys to be closer to the escape key. :LOL:

I actually started this character on my work computer after finding out it could run D2R. I think this (along with just having completed a Zealot) will help me be more patient and not rush, since it will be a slower pace by necessity. A lot of my deaths happen when I'm playing tired at night and getting impatient.

Just cleared the Den of Evil and I'm at level 6.

Have made it to level 81! This is a pretty rough character. 2-handed Axes and a Cold Mercenary? Ouch. My best axe is still my Humongous that has been upgraded once since I've yet to craft anything useful (4 elite axes all less than 100%ED :( )
I'm starting to run into unbreakables and just reached Lower Kurast which I will grind until I get that Um rune I think.
It took about 4 total hours to weed my way through the Jungles and got a fair amount of NDEs.
Sounds like a good plan! Since my restart I forgot how many uniques can drop from poppables in LK. IIRC, my last paladin I found a Tgods, Demon Machine, Laying of Hands, and some other unique lying under logs.

And Axer has vanquished Baal! Write up coming separate thread.

axer.JPG

Completed Guardians
Rich (BB code):
Forumite         Character        Class  Furthest WP       Level      Date          UT   E/S  SP   S/U   Version
---------------  ---------------  -----  ----------------  -----     ----------     ---  ---  ---  ----  -------
lizard           Hyman            Druid  Guardian          82        2022-03-16     Yes  Yes  No   223   D2L
HanShotFirst     Mordred          Necro  Guardian          87        2022-05-11     Yes  Yes  Yes  200   D2R
abridged         sanity           Sorc   Guardian          94        2022-11-01     No  Yes  No    ?     D2R
Vang             Axer             Pal    Guardian          83        2022-07-17     Yes  Yes Yes   200   D2R

Questing Heroes
Rich (BB code):
Forumite         Character        Class  Furthest WP           Level      Date             UT   E/S  SP   S/U     Version
---------------  ---------------  -----  ----------------       -----  ----------          ---  ---  ---    ----      -------
Vang              Annihilation     Druid  Kurast Docks NM       55     2022-02-06           No   Yes  No   -          D2R
lizard            Deanna           Amazon Rogue Camp   H        72     2022-05-14           No   Yes  No   -          D2L
abridged          lars             Barb   Lut Gholein NM        47     2022-05-22           Yes  Yes  No   -          D2R

The Fallen
Rich (BB code):
Forumite         Character        Class  Furthest WP       Level  Date       UT   E/S  SP   S/U   Version
---------------  ---------------  -----  ----------------  -----  ---------- ---  ---  ---  ----  -------
abridged          persistence     Barb  Durance of Hate   23  Apr22     Yes  Yes  No  -     D2R
abridged          druid               Druid Flayer Jungle H    80  Oct22     Yes  Yes  No  -     D2R
abridged          vanilla             Sorc  RoF NM                 55  Nov22    No   Yes  No -      D2R

After a failed attempt with fire/lightning melee sorc, I decided to start new char - strafe/MA zon.

The rules:
- P8 all the way
- Single pass
- Full clears

Screenshot001.png

Screenshot002.png
got flawed sapphire

Screenshot003.png

Screenshot008.png
chased me all the way from tree to cave exit

Screenshot005.png

Screenshot006.png

Screenshot007.png

Screenshot011.png

Screenshot010.png

It is time: To final get a sorceress a Guardian.
I am unsure of final build. I'm sitting at 47 and running Baal with a max Firewall, some static and Chain lightning. I think I'm going to switch to Firewall/Blizzard.

Time for an update:

Screenshot002.png

Screenshot004.png

Screenshot006.png

Screenshot008.png
Preparing for the fight...

Screenshot010.png
Fight!

Screenshot012.png
Act1 done!

Screenshot014.png

Screenshot015.png

Screenshot016.png

Screenshot017.png

Screenshot018.png
Happy with this result!

76 and dead. Negative cold resist and Andy exploded the cold enchanted boss around her. Should have bailed when mercenary went down, but I've been running her since 73 and have done it dozens of times without. Heck I even ran a few without the mercenary at one point because he died too quick.

Got Gencon this weekend so I'll just wait until next week and hopefully the next D3 season launches and I can do that for a couple weeks before I try something here.

Short update on Deanna. After defeating Andariel I rushed to the Lost City and rolled a good AT map to level and farm. My goal was to level to 85 before i push any further. This was a bit excessive maybe, but I just wanted something easy to do and had hoped for some lucky drops maybe. Now after countless runs, Deanna is 85 and not much has changed gear wise. MF was really low on her (77), but i managed to find two Earthshifter, Waterwalks, Wilhelms Pride, Tals Mask (My merc is grateful for that one) and assorted misses: namely 4 magic Hydra bows, at least 6 non unique Shakos. Shame, really but expected with the low amount of MF. All weapon bases that I attempted to socket whiffed horribly, so still no luck on a good Bow for Melody/Harmony :(.

So she continues onward in Full Iratha's set, Smoke and Wizendraw.

After hitting 85 I pushed her to the Ancient Sanctuary waypoint and completed the Horadrim staff. AS will be a bit of a pain, because of the Ghoul Lord cold immunity, but I hope that I can tele past the worst boss groups and find the Summoner in one attempt.

Completed Guardians
Rich (BB code):
Forumite         Character        Class  Furthest WP       Level      Date          UT   E/S  SP   S/U   Version
---------------  ---------------  -----  ----------------  -----     ----------     ---  ---  ---  ----  -------
lizard           Hyman            Druid  Guardian          82        2022-03-16     Yes  Yes  No   223   D2L
HanShotFirst     Mordred          Necro  Guardian          87        2022-05-11     Yes  Yes  Yes  200   D2R
abridged         sanity           Sorc   Guardian          94        2022-11-01     No  Yes  No    ?     D2R
Vang             Axer             Pal    Guardian          83        2022-07-17     Yes  Yes Yes   200   D2R

Questing Heroes
Rich (BB code):
Forumite         Character        Class  Furthest WP           Level      Date             UT   E/S  SP   S/U     Version
---------------  ---------------  -----  ----------------       -----  ----------          ---  ---  ---    ----      -------
Vang              Annihilation     Druid  Kurast Docks NM       55     2022-02-06           No   Yes  No   -          D2R
lizard            Deanna           Amazon Lut Gholein   H        85     2022-08-09           No   Yes  No   -          D2L
abridged          lars             Barb   Lut Gholein NM        47     2022-05-22           Yes  Yes  No   -          D2R

The Fallen
Rich (BB code):
Forumite         Character        Class  Furthest WP       Level  Date       UT   E/S  SP   S/U   Version
---------------  ---------------  -----  ----------------  -----  ---------- ---  ---  ---  ----  -------
abridged          persistence     Barb  Durance of Hate   23  Apr22     Yes  Yes  No  -     D2R
abridged          druid               Druid Flayer Jungle H    80  Oct22     Yes  Yes  No  -     D2R
abridged          vanilla             Sorc  RoF NM                 55  Nov22    No   Yes  No -      D2R

Deanna updates: [1]

Going to start my new druid using the awesome 440% ED Scythe (upgraded to thresher) I found with Axer.

Completed Guardians
Rich (BB code):

Questing Heroes
Rich (BB code):
lizard            Deanna           Amazon Lut Gholein   H        85     2022-08-09           No   Yes  No   -          D2L
Vang              Ravage     Druid  Kurast Docks N       26     2022-08-09           No   Yes  No   -          D2R

The Fallen
Rich (BB code):
Vang                Chains             Sorc  Lut Gholein H        76  Aug22    Yes                       D2R

Reactions: Miron
I've decided to dip my toes into the HC waters, so I started my first HC character today---a Wake of Fire / Death Sentry Trapsin. (Might have to mix in some Lightning Sentry in Hell too, not totally sure yet.)

I got her about halfway through Act I this afternoon. If I have some time tonight then I should be able to at least make it to Act II.

Depending on how this first character goes, perhaps I will try for a Guardian from each class... :unsure:

Reactions: coju and Vang
This first foray into HC is going pretty smoothly so far. I don't think I'm playing any differently than I normally do. I usually advance characters through the game at a fairly reckless pace, and it's not often that my SC characters die. I will probably start to exercise some more caution if I make it through NM and into Hell.

yuffie the Fire Trapsin just took out Radament, and will soon head off in search of a Horadric Cube.

IMG_0308.JPG

Reactions: coju and Vang
Made some progress with Llia and reached act 4. The journey so far:

Screenshot004.png

Screenshot007.png
Was really scared to take him on P8

Screenshot009.png
Lots of Decoy casting to take some heat off the merc. Lots of running and trips to town for resurrections.

Screenshot011.png

Screenshot013.png

Screenshot020.png
Those rivers are quite useful in such situations

Screenshot021.png
Tough guys!

Screenshot022.png
D2 or Pacman???

Screenshot025.png
Good old stair-traps #1

Screenshot027.png
Good old stair-traps #2

Screenshot030.png
Almost there

Screenshot032.png

Screenshot034.png

Screenshot005.png

Screenshot023.png

Screenshot026.png

Screenshot003.png

Screenshot031.png

Screenshot029.png

Not much to note other than switched to Annihilation and brought the Fire Druid from 69 to 76 and now just rescued that guy name Cain who was stuck in a cage on Hell difficulty. Thankfully he rewarded me well and has given me free identifies until he dies. I may make a push this weekend if all my RL plans fall apart.

Reactions: Miron
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High