SPF Quest for Guardians in Progress thread

Vang

PurePremium
Staff member
Guide Author
Feb 23, 2006
Are you working on a Guardian and want to share the trials and tribulations that you have encountered? Did you bite the dust and want some advice before getting back up? You have come to the right place.

This is a dedicated threat to making your Guardian or Septivium dreams come true. Ask your questions and share your journey here, as you progress through the minions of hell bolstering your confidence and increasing your slaying ability!

(Table incoming of forum name, current toon, deaths, guardians, and whatnot)

This is a really nice idea, and come to think of it it's something of a mystery why none of us has done it earlier. The closest thing so far apart from the tournament threads are probably the individual progress threads of some forum members but for each posted I also remember one or two forumites expressing doubts about whether others would find such a thread from them worth reading and even deserving to take up space on the front page. That is a very human feeling, and perhaps symptomatic of excessively judgemental societies that many of us seem to live in, but also wrong because the misadventures of other players belong to the most entertaining reading material on the SPF. So hopefully a shared thread can counteract some of that doubt.

"Looks over the shelf of aging dust-covered conquerors"

For the record, I don't know who came up with the unfounded idea that I would have some sort of tendency to start new projects rather than finish current ones. That is totally baseless and far-fetched ramblings worthy of a turnip-peddling gnome.

Ooh! I like it!

Nice idea @lizard and @Vang (y)

I'm one of those people that has considered posting a dedicated thread to share a hardcore character's journey ... but then always decided that it was too pretentious for me ...

But, I quite like the idea of dropping in here to share my experience and read about others!

I could envision something like the UT99er thread, where there's a table for questing heroes and another table for Guardians (with links to Guardian threads). For questing heroes maybe we'd want something like:

Forumite - Character - Class - Furthest WP - Level - Date - UT - E/S - SP - S/U - Version (Patch)

What does anyone think? Did I leave anything out? Are there more things that people would commonly want to share about their hardcore characters?

I really like this thread idea as well! I only recently got my first guardian last year, and I plan to make many more. I've currently got a paladin at Conqueror status, but I plan on doing updates for him in the UT 99er thread once he's gotten a bit further. I do plan on working on another untwinked HC character hopefully soon-ish, and I'll happily share their progress here.

@Vang - I wasn't trying to steal your thunder :) ... I was just tossing out some ideas ...

... but here's what my proposal would like ...

Completed Guardians
Rich (BB code):
Forumite         Character        Class  Furthest WP       Level  Date       UT   E/S  SP   S/U   Version
---------------  ---------------  -----  ----------------  -----  ---------- ---  ---  ---  ----  -------
-                -                -      -                 -      -          -    -    -    -     -

Questing Heroes
Rich (BB code):
Forumite         Character        Class  Furthest WP       Level  Date       UT   E/S  SP   S/U   Version
---------------  ---------------  -----  ----------------  -----  ---------- ---  ---  ---  ----  -------
HanShotFirst     Mordred          Necro  Rogue Encampment  1      2022-02-08 Yes  Yes  Yes  -     D2R

The Fallen
Rich (BB code):
-                -                -      -                 -      -          -    -    -    -     -

Thoughts? Anyone's free to take it and run with it, change it, ... or ignore it altogether :p . I'm assuming some people wouldn't want to bother with a table ... but for other people it might create more of a sense of shared journey ...

Edit:

In any event, I've been inspired!

076.png

I deeded a Bone Necro named Mordred in the Three-Legged Race Tournament last summer. I've been planning to go ahead and Guardian a Bone Necro ever since ... but the timing just hasn't seemed right until now! So here comes Mordred 2.0. As I indicated in the table above, he'll be untwinked, using an extended stash, and single pass. How many set/uniques will he find along the way? ... I can't wait to find out!

Last edited:
I started a new Druid for the TC3 Tournament, after my previous Wind-druid died in Hell Flayer Dungeon to a LE enchanted pack of Flayers, while Cyclone armor was down. I will definitely switch out the MF gear (PT chest and Helm) for Smoke/Lore the next time I am questing. Felt a bit too save behind cyclone armor.

Tornado Druid is one of my favorite builds and I am planning to recreate and at some point surpass my lvl 96 SC Winddruid.
I have about 7h left to run in the TC3 tournament, and will post semi regular updates here after that.
My plan is to continue as Fire elemental until A4 NM, when the Fire immunes become to frequent and respec into Tornado and a final third respec, once I find a Monarch for Spirit.

Still debating if I should run NM Andy for SoJs or go for Guardian first. Leaning towards Questing first for now.

Completed Guardians
Rich (BB code):

Questing Heroes
Rich (BB code):
lizard           Hyman            Druid  Halls of the Dead 24     2022-02-08 Yes  Yes  No   25    D2L
HanShotFirst     Mordred          Necro  Rogue Encampment  1      2022-02-08 Yes  Yes  Yes  -     D2R

The Fallen
Rich (BB code):

Well after an untimely death in the March of the Damned tournament, I decided to continue onward with the fire elemental druid, this time twinking him to goodness.

I love Molten Boulder. It has knockback and can stun if cast fast while keeping you safe, but the damage great against soft targets. Hard targets/act bosses are rough on high player settings, but even in NM I'm plowing through the game so far on /p8 with little difficulty. Volcano is great if cast under an enemy, and does some solid damage, while Armageddon mops up what it can. I wish Armageddon always would hit in front of you in a wide cone instead of randomly around.

I did have a slight ouch moment where half my life went away in the Tomb. Guess it is time to start being careful.

My equipment is good, but not great, notably:
Dual Spirit (Sword and Board, +12 absorb overall)
+3 elemental skills amulet
Helm of goodness (see below)
+1 Elemental Skiller
Mage Fist

So hitting 55 just now and on the PTR I made a really cool toy: (I didn't farm for days as ideally a +3 molten boulder/+3volcano/+3 dire wolves would have been the best!)
Screenshot230.png

Next update will occur when I start my adventure in Hell Act 1 or my death. Whichever comes first.

Completed Guardians
Rich (BB code):

Questing Heroes
Rich (BB code):
lizard           Hyman            Druid  Halls of the Dead 24     2022-02-08 Yes  Yes  No   25    D2L
Vang             Annihilation     Druid  Kurast Docks NM   55     2022-02-06  No  Yes  No   -     D2R

The Fallen
Rich (BB code):

Screenshot from 2022-02-17 22-30-02.png

Hyman has completed Normal and defeated Andariel NM. I decided I will do some Countess runs for now and farm Smoke/Lore or Treachery for the Merc and stock up on some runes. Maybe I get lucky and drop a good pelt or sword for spirit.

I will also spend some time to get a good Andy map and run her. Skin of Vipermagi would be nice.

Hyman stays Fire druid for now until I can reach at least 68 fcr, ideally 99 fcr before I respec into Wind druid.

Completed Guardians
Rich (BB code):

Questing Heroes
Rich (BB code):
lizard           Hyman            Druid  Lut Gholein       43     2022-02-08 Yes  Yes  No   59    D2L
Vang             Annihilation     Druid  Kurast Docks NM   55     2022-02-06  No  Yes  No   -     D2R

The Fallen
Rich (BB code):

Conqueror Feofasias progress so far
The character is an elemental martial arts assassin intended to make a shadow warrior follow her prudent example and always use a damage type that the target is sensitive too, unlike the rebellios shadow master. The skill plan being roughly

20 blades of ice
20 claws of thunder
20 phoenix strike
20 shadow warrior
1 mind blast
1 dragon claw
1 venom
5 weapon block

Feofasia had a rather easy and simple start throughout normal as I recall it, able to depend on her skill levels for damage and getting by with unremarkable equipment. Normal Baal gifted her with superb claws that I have sadly no memory of nor any screenshot. I had however meticulously made a note that they were superb so obviously they must have been epic beyond the point of mortal comprehension.

Feofasia found a 4 socket gothic plate in lower kurast and after that unique and set pieces started raining down. Kuko Shakaku (the unique cedar bow) from nightmare Andariel was hers at level 59 and the moment after Blackleach Blade (the uniques bill) from the first unique cantor thereafter. Two excellent weapons for the inept enthusiast. From going with a fire mage for the sake of it, to a rogue to speed things up in nightmare and finally settling for Alhizeer the Freezing Town Guard after the available equipment opened up for a melee hireling to actually stand a chance. More specifically, while the nightmare Hellforge yielded a disappointing Lum Diablo gave the party the Kelpie Snare which made up for it.

Feofasia rerolled forth a good path to nightmare Mephisto that soon gifted the party with a perfect Woestave which replaced the fishing implement. Kelpie Snare is better defensively but freezing corpse control and open wounds allow the minons to outdamage any enemy on their own which is pretty much good game for any non-boss foe in itself. The halberds minor damage is a completely insignificant factor in the grand scheme of things.

For her own part, she found the generals flail, which can be used alongside phoenix strike for extra attack rating to slow act bosses and the Todesfaelle Flamme which was an excellent addition since Feofasia is weakest in the fire damage part of her build and have dire need for extra attack rating. Last but not least her signature mask, the Face of Horror, would haunt monsters throughout all of hell.

In Act I there was a tremendously dangerous archer whose enchantments I have long forgotten and also missed completely in this screenshot. Unless the point was to illustrate the usefulness of the shadow spawning with a cursed weapon, or the fact that the fallen one was converted and cursed by the dangerous archer lady. Regardless, be awed either by the formidable foes or minions of Feofasia.

1.jpg

A most scary ghost to haunt every assassin. No further elaboration is needed.

2.jpg

In hell Charsi imbued a wonderful suwayah for Feofasia with a most decisive bonus to death sentry and blade fury. Corpse control and a ranged alernative attack along with solid damage makes it one of the best imbues I have ever seen for a specific character.

The Halls of the Dead had a place at the second level with a sarcophagus where the game crashed twice, probably due to the/a cloak of shadows bug. I was so scared of it that I removed the skill from my hotkeys for the time being and made without...very much more difficult. Pesky undead...

Fangskin and his slithering pack was handled far smoother with a successful grab of the central mound. Which was just as well since the primary damage types of the party is cold, physical and lightning and none would prefer to melee a cursed viper.

3.jpg

4.jpg

Like many others, Feofasia found the blunderbores boring and troublesome. As is probably now apparent she had a large amount of skills to use and balance between which was often quite complicated. The trouble with these kinds of situations is that while you have the right tools to deal with said muscle-brained goons, none of those tools are strong enough to do it effectively. The shadow needs a hefty investment in skill levels and probably also fade to stand her ground in hell, while mind blast stunning runs out a bit too quickly to allow for much use of attacks inbetween. Eventually the blunderbore would have no more 'sins to bother, in any case.

5.jpg

A matching impediment was the hairy death metal singer roaming the canyon of the magi in search of beer glasses of dubious reliability and other festival necessities.

6.jpg

Apart from the lacking attack rating the party can be rather effective against act bosses due to the slowing and weakening effects available and the possibility to dish out lots of sparks that all hit their bulky lower parts.

7.jpg

Just as in the early days of the game, Duriel was not necessarily the most dangerous adversary in his act and many risky experiences awaited before the team could set sail for Kurast. One must, in all fairness, commend the enemy commanders for their prudent choice of auras to complement their innate abilities.

8.jpg

Great spider minds spin alike or whatever, and Sszark the Burning had taken it to heart and hired an assistant executive officer that mostly mimicked his talents. Feofasia had less admiration for the stellar example of sound business management.

9.jpg

The hordes of flayers and even the undead varieties were manageable since they rely so much on surprising shock tactics, which falter before mind blasts and cloaking along with sturdy minions. Once the momentum is gone, such packs are easy prey to charged attacks. The hardest monster packs are the few but strong champions of larger monsters and the mixed groups, or ranged attackers with stupefyingly overpowering combinations of skills, like conviction combined with weather sorcery and an insulting name. That one was less than amusing to have teleporting on top of your toes while in the process of losing critical health.

11.jpg

12.jpg

Being innately equipped with, but not exclusively reliant on, cloaking made stair traps less of a danger for Feofasia than for most characters. The challenge in this particular case was not overwhelming but in principle the same approach can thwart much more severe stair traps in the same way.

13.jpg

As of now, Feofasia has pushed as far as the second level of the durance of Hate and the way down is reasonably close to her waypoint but she has a good deal of the middle portion of the second level left to clear first. It isn't impossible, just grueling work to deal with the maulers and the fire walls and poisons that affect minions so badly.

No dolls!
And no conviction of Bremm Sparkfist either! Feofasia has joyfully explored the rest of the Durance and obeyed the wishes of her opponents and gone to hell. Mauling leaders and cursed dark lords proved risky enough while the cadavers often made short work of the fragile shadow, being a mere shadow of itself as the saying goes. Alhizeer actually survived the whole ordeal even though Mephisto was quite nasty for him. I am almost considering a life tap wand for bosses, and it would suit the red details of Feofasia well, but she has on the other hand quite a lot of skills to balance between already. Weaken was obviously useful but the damage from act boss spells still pile up a lot over time. Also, long live the goblin toe!

Feofasia found a perplexingly unsuitably phenomenal charm on her way down, such a taunt.

14.JPEG

For once a picture of Mephisto without him highlighted, but Feofasia appears moderately interested in the battle as such. Then again, that is what mindless minions are for. Speaking of minions, Wyand was camping right next to his master, the sycophantic flatterer. It was an unconventional contest in that the boss was lured away from his underlings instead of the other way around.

15.JPEG

Reactions: lizard and Zyr
Hyman has achieved the title of Conqueror and spent some time running Pindle to 75 and Andariel for ca 250 runs in hopes of SoJs. Instead I found several Suicide Branches and a +28 Skin of the Vipermagi.
I respecced into Wind druid after hitting 75 and trying Andy as Fire Druid, but killspeed was actually higher as Wind Druid for me.

Yesterday I started the Hell playthrough and Hyman reached Lut Gholein.

Name: Hyman
Class: Druid
Experience: 539125903
Level: 77

Naked/Gear
Strength: 63/70
Dexterity: 20/30
Vitality: 367/387
Energy: 20/49
HP: 893/1012
Mana: 172/363
Stamina: 502/519
Defense: 5/471
AR: 70/296

Fire: 102/62/2
Cold: 95/55/-5
Lightning: 102/62/2
Poison: 121/81/21

MF: 102 Block: 5
GF: 121 FR/W: 55
FHR: 0 IAS: 10
FCR: 100

Raven: 1/4
Poison Creeper: 0/0
Oak Sage: 14/17
Summon Spirit Wolf: 1/4
Carrion Vine: 0/0
Heart of Wolverine: 0/0
Summon Dire Wolf: 1/4
Solar Creeper: 0/0
Spirit of Barbs: 0/0
Summon Grizzly: 1/4

Werewolf: 0/0
Lycanthropy: 0/0
Werebear: 0/0
Feral Rage: 0/0
Maul: 0/0
Rabies: 0/0
Fire Claws: 0/0
Hunger: 0/0
Shock Wave: 0/0
Fury: 0/0

Firestorm: 0/0
Molten Boulder: 0/0
Arctic Blast: 1/4
Fissure: 0/0
Cyclone Armor: 20/23
Twister: 6/9
Volcano: 0/0
Tornado: 20/23
Armageddon: 0/0
Hurricane: 20/23

Goldwrap
Heavy Belt
Defense: 35
Durability: 18 of 18
Required Level: 27
Required Strength: 45
Fingerprint: 0xaa5bc9de
Item Level: 49
Version: Expansion 1.10+
+10% Increased Attack Speed
+56% Enhanced Defense
+25 Defense
71% Extra Gold from Monsters
30% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
+2 to Light Radius

Nagelring
Ring
Required Level: 7
Fingerprint: 0xe5e336a2
+59 to Attack Rating
Magic Damage Reduced by 3
Attacker Takes Damage of 3
27% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

Skin of the Vipermagi
Serpentskin Armor
Defense: 279
Durability: 24 of 24
Required Level: 29
Required Strength: 43
Fingerprint: 0xab108c75
+1 to All Skills
+30% Faster Cast Rate
+120% Enhanced Defense
All Resistances +27
Magic Damage Reduced by 9

Sander's Riprap
Heavy Boots
Defense: 5
Durability: 14 of 14
Required Level: 20
Required Strength: 18
Fingerprint: 0xeb26e905
Item Level: 43
+40% Faster Run/Walk
+100 to Attack Rating
+5 to Strength
+10 to Dexterity

Peasant Crown
War Hat
Defense: 108
Durability: 12 of 12
Required Level: 28
Required Strength: 20
Fingerprint: 0x197190fd
+1 to All Skills
+15% Faster Run/Walk
+100% Enhanced Defense
+20 to Vitality
+20 to Energy
Replenish Life +11

Magefist
Light Gauntlets
Defense: 24
Required Level: 23
Fingerprint: 0xf6380eca
+1 to Fire Skills
+20% Faster Cast Rate
Adds 1 - 6 Fire Damage
+24% Enhanced Defense
+10 Defense
Regenerate Mana 25%

Havoc Heart
Amulet
Required Level: 15
Fingerprint: 0x86383f66
Item Level: 66
+6 to Energy
+23 to Life
+17 Maximum Stamina
All Resistances +10
Fire Resist +7%

Storm Coil
Ring
Required Level: 22
Fingerprint: 0x75183e77
Item Level: 68
+17 to Attack Rating
+2 to Strength
+3 to Energy
+57 to Mana
Poison Resist +17%

Rhyme
Large Shield
ShaelEth
Defense: 13
Chance to Block: 32
Required Strength: 34
Fingerprint: 0xa396bf65
Item Level: 20
+40% Faster Block Rate
20% Increased Chance of Blocking
Regenerate Mana 15%
All Resistances +25
Cannot Be Frozen
50% Extra Gold from Monsters
25% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
2 Sockets (2 used)
Socketed: Shael Rune
Socketed: Eth Rune

Suicide Branch
Burnt Wand
One Hand Damage: 8 - 18
Durability: 15 of 15
Required Level: 33
Required Strength: 25
Fingerprint: 0x71585020
+1 to All Skills
+50% Faster Cast Rate
+40 to Life
Increase Maximum Mana 10%
All Resistances +10
Attacker Takes Damage of 25

Edit 2022-03-16: Hyman has achieved Guardian. Will write an update tomorrow with screenshots.

Completed Guardians
Rich (BB code):
lizard           Hyman            Druid  Guardian          82     2022-03-16 Yes  Yes  No   223   D2L

Questing Heroes
Rich (BB code):

The Fallen
Rich (BB code):

Last edited:
Reactions: Zyr and Vang
Hyman has become a Guardian, my first after switching to HC this year. I had several attempts with previous iterations, but this time he made it to the end with a standard Fire druid respecc into Wind druid build.

This character began as an entry into @art_vandelay TC3 Tournament and placed 5th there with 13 unique TC3 items as a fire druid. Hyman stayed fire until the end of NM and respecced to Tornado/Hurricane after hitting lvl 75.

Progress in Hell was slow and very dependent on how many PIs I encountered, The merc was using Insight and I did not have a way of breaking PIs. In areas like the Arcane Sanctuary I mostly used my Telestaff to avoid all the Ghosts.

08 Radament PI.png
sometimes you just have to pull out the ole arctic blast.

09 Nest Boss pack.png
I don't think I have seen a nest boss pack before. Would be fun if they had a chance to spit out champions or bosses.

Difficulty increased rather sharply in Act 3, LE bosses brought me several near death experiences and melted my Cyclone Armor fast, due to low resistances. A further problem was swarming, due to low FHR, which made me switch back to Spirit instead of Suicide Branch.
I had to go back to 68 FCR with Spirit, but at least better FHR frames. I shortly considered going for max block, because I often am in close vicinity to monsters, but Druids block frames are truly awful and pumping vit seemes like a better strategy.

I was rewarded with a Tomb Reaver in the Kurast Sewers and a Pul rune for my efforts

10 Tomb Reaver drop.png

11 Pul in Sewers lvl 2.png

The council put up a valiant fight, but was vanquished by the forces of nature, with Mephisto following thereafter.
Drops were uneventful and my party ventured into Hell itself.

Act 4 blessed me with one of the shortest ways to Izual I have ever seen.

12 shortest way to Izual.png

Unfortunately his drops are so bad it is probably not worth running him.

Diablo put up a longer fight, due to my difficulties hitting him with Tornado, I think I prefer a Lawbringer A5 Merc for the decrep proc on a wind druid. I went with Insight this time, which is very nice for mana, but the PIs can get quite annoying without decrepify.

Before I move on to A5 I have to share my Hellforge, which was a...

13 Hellforge Hell.png

With everyone safe in Act 5 I lost no time and hiked up the mountain. A slow and steady ascent turned into a nailbiter for the first time in the frozen river, which was infested with Gloams and Succubi. My furred party persisted and we rescued Anya from those frozen halls.

The second highlight was the confontation with the Ancients, who gave it their all and made me use almost all of my potions.
Nevertheless, they were defeated and Hyman proved himself worthy of facing Baal.

14 Ancient Aftermath.png

At this point in the evening I decided to make the final push and Baal quickly fell thereafter.

15 Guardian Hyman.png

All in all I found 228 S/U on my way to Guardian 14 TC3 and 2 Elite S/U, namely Tomb Reaver and IK Maul. My highest Rune was Mal from HF, but I never found a Lum. 4 Skillers (2 +1 Bow, +1 War Cry and +1 Javelin).
I also found 20 Eth grailers, of which two were TC3 (Gull and Rixots Keen)

Future Plans:
Not quite sure what to do with Hyman, I might run some Ancients Tunnels interspersed with LK runs to gear him up. First I want to find a Monarch to finally build a Spirit.

I will leave you with the Gear that defeated Baal:

Goldwrap
Heavy Belt
Defense: 35
Required Level: 27
Fingerprint: 0xaa5bc9de
+10% Increased Attack Speed
+56% Enhanced Defense
+25 Defense
71% Extra Gold from Monsters
30% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
+2 to Light Radius

Ocher Small Charm of Sustenance
Small Charm
Required Level: 17
Fingerprint: 0x2e393fa2
Item Level: 52
+11 to Life
Lightning Resist +7%

Serpent's Grand Charm of Sustenance
Grand Charm
Fingerprint: 0xf62cb608
+25 to Life
+40 to Mana

Nagelring
Ring
Required Level: 7
Fingerprint: 0xe5e336a2
+59 to Attack Rating
Magic Damage Reduced by 3
Attacker Takes Damage of 3
27% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

Skin of the Vipermagi
Serpentskin Armor
Defense: 279
Required Strength: 43
Fingerprint: 0xab108c75
+1 to All Skills
+30% Faster Cast Rate
+120% Enhanced Defense
All Resistances +27
Magic Damage Reduced by 9

Sander's Riprap
Heavy Boots
Defense: 5
Durability: 14 of 14
Required Strength: 18
Fingerprint: 0xeb26e905
+40% Faster Run/Walk
+100 to Attack Rating
+5 to Strength
+10 to Dexterity

Peasant Crown
War Hat
Defense: 108
Durability: 12 of 12
Required Level: 28
Required Strength: 20
Fingerprint: 0x197190fd
+1 to All Skills
+15% Faster Run/Walk
+100% Enhanced Defense
+20 to Vitality
+20 to Energy
Replenish Life +11

Magefist
Light Gauntlets
Defense: 24
Durability: 17 of 18
Required Level: 23
Fingerprint: 0xf6380eca
+1 to Fire Skills
+20% Faster Cast Rate
Adds 1 - 6 Fire Damage
+24% Enhanced Defense
+10 Defense
Regenerate Mana 25%

Saracen's Chance
Amulet
Required Level: 47
Fingerprint: 0x5889642a
Item Level: 88
10% Chance to cast level 2 Iron Maiden when struck
All Stats +12
All Resistances +22

Small Charm of Fortune
Small Charm
Required Level: 18
Fingerprint: 0xc1c8a097
5% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

Small Charm of Good Luck
Small Charm
Required Level: 33
Fingerprint: 0x7b6c0d63
Item Level: 85
6% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

Bronze Small Charm of Fortune
Small Charm
Required Level: 18
Fingerprint: 0x3537291f
Item Level: 80
+2 to Attack Rating
5% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

Fortuitous Ring of Chance
Ring
Required Level: 9
Fingerprint: 0xe98f56fe
Item Level: 14
24% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

Large Charm of Vita
Large Charm
Required Level: 50
Fingerprint: 0x9109c12d
Item Level: 85
+29 to Life

Coral Small Charm of Dexterity
Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0x27bbf1fd
Item Level: 83
+2 to Dexterity
Lightning Resist +8%

Gnarled Staff of Teleportation
Gnarled Staff
Two Hand Damage: 4 - 12
Durability: 35 of 35
Required Level: 24
Fingerprint: 0xf1c1316c
Item Level: 53
+1 to Chilling Armor (Sorceress Only)
Level 2 Teleport (37/37 Charges)

Lucky Grand Charm of Life
Grand Charm
Required Level: 14
Fingerprint: 0x9ad86d49
Item Level: 69
+20 to Life
12% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

Spirit
Broad Sword
TalThulOrtAmn
One Hand Damage: 7 - 14
Durability: 32 of 32
Required Level: 25
Required Strength: 48
Fingerprint: 0xfede7924
+2 to All Skills
+31% Faster Cast Rate
+55% Faster Hit Recovery
Adds 1 - 50 Lightning Damage
Adds 3 - 14 Cold Damage Over 3 Secs (75 Frames)
Adds 75 Poison Damage Over 5 Secs (125 Frames)
7% Life stolen per hit
+250 Defense vs. Missile
+22 to Vitality
+108 to Mana
+7 Magic Absorb
4 Sockets (4 used)
Socketed: Tal Rune
Socketed: Thul Rune
Socketed: Ort Rune
Socketed: Amn Rune

Rhyme
Large Shield
ShaelEth
Defense: 13
Chance to Block: 32
Durability: 23 of 24
Required Strength: 34
Fingerprint: 0xa396bf65
Item Level: 20
+40% Faster Block Rate
20% Increased Chance of Blocking
Regenerate Mana 15%
All Resistances +25
Cannot Be Frozen
50% Extra Gold from Monsters
25% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
2 Sockets (2 used)
Socketed: Shael Rune
Socketed: Eth Rune

Last edited:
I'm coming!
I bet you thought I wasn't ... but, I'm coming!

Mordred, HC, SP, clvl 20, Bone Necro, Lut Gholein

Act I has been cleared! ... at long last ...
177.png

Poor Mordred has been a victim of bad timing. I created him and cleared to the Stony Field. Then I got more interested in my Bulging Biceps Barbarian. Then I played Mordred up to the Black Marsh. Then I started getting ready for the RFL. Then I played Mordred to the Outer Cloister. Then I did Batch #1 for Round #1 of the RFL. Then I played Mordred to the Inner Cloister. Then I did Batch #2 for Round #1 of the RFL. And now, at long last, Mordred finally got to clear the rest of Act I.

It was a players 7 clear without issues (except finding the D2 time of course :D ). My last play through on a Bone Necro was with a tournament character that was only using the Poison and Bone tree ... So, getting to use everything this time around, made things quite easy. I remember now why I thought that this was such a good Act I character. Amplify Damage to help the merc out. A tank that can be summoned anywhere, as much as you want, in the form of Clay Golem. And, just when the damage from the merc starts to fall off, you get Bone Spear! Sure mana is a bit of an issue ... but what else is new? Andariel got hit with all of the above. Amp, plus a summonable that just refused to stay dead, all the while getting blasted from a distance by the merc and by Bone Spear! Easy peasy. Even the merc made it out alive!

Despite Mordred's topaz-tastic gear, Andariel snubbed him when it came to set/uniques. But, he did have some success elsewhere:

Here's the set/uniques that resulted from a full clear of Act I at players 7:
(With 67 mf when Mordred killed, and 112 mf when the merc killed.)

Biggin's Bonnet, Cap (Black Marsh)
Death's Hand, Leather Gloves (Tower Cellar Level 5)
Arctic Binding, Light Belt (Catacombs Level 2)

So, probably nothing that I'll use. But hey, it's a start.

Completed Guardians
Rich (BB code):
lizard           Hyman            Druid  Guardian          82     2022-03-16 Yes  Yes  No   223   D2L

Questing Heroes
Rich (BB code):
Vang             Annihilation     Druid  Kurast Docks NM   55     2022-02-06 No   Yes  No   -     D2R
HanShotFirst     Mordred          Necro  Lut Gholein       20     2022-03-23 Yes  Yes  Yes  3     D2R

The Fallen
Rich (BB code):

Up next:
Time to make tracks before Round #2 of the RFL. Go! Go! Go!

Last edited:
Reactions: Vang and lizard
Mordred, HC, SP, clvl 28, Bone Necro, Kurast Docks

We're making progress now!
178.png

Act II has been full cleared at players 7.

It was easy. The sort of easy that got me checking: 'Did I set players to 7? Oh I did. Great!' Mostly I was concerned with upgrading gear. I shopped a nice enough new wand from Drognan when first we met:

179.png
Bone Spear, mana, and no extra mods adding to the cost ... Great! Sure it's only +1 ... but I don't think I could have afforded +2 or more at the time ... so, I'll take it!

The merc got an upgrade after we found the cube:
180.png
I had found, not one, not two, but three Jewels of Freedom in Act I. So, doing something like this was pretty much a foregone conclusion. I rolled two Savage Partizans with the chipped diamonds I had saved, and then got the two socket Deadly roll with my initial batch of chipped gems! The merc got to equip this bad boy just before we headed into the Maggot Lair.

Past the weapons, it was all about increasing mf. Which we did. And it even resulted in some success!

Here's the set/uniques that resulted from a full clear of Act II at players 7:
(With 142 mf when Mordred killed, and 187 mf when the merc killed.)

Berserker's Headgear, Helm (Halls of the Dead Level 2)
Cathan's Seal, Ring (Lost City)
Isenhart's Case, Breast Plate (Tal Rasha's False Tomb) <-- From urns.
Hsarus' Iron Heel, Chain Boots (Tal Rasha's False Tomb) <-- From other urns in the same room as the Isenhart's.
Snakecord, Light Belt (Tal Rasha's False Tomb) <-- I like it, but I like having sixteen slots more.
Angelic Wings, Amulet (Tal Rasha's True Tomb)
Maelstrom, Yew Wand (Duriel)

Woohoo! My favorite set amulet! It's not as big a deal on a Bone Necro as on a character that needs AR ... but still, I do really like using three piece Angelics on most characters. Now, how long will it take to come up with the armor and ring(s) ...

Also, getting a unique wand from Duriel while playing a Necro was quite the pleasant surprise:

Maelstrom
Yew Wand
One Hand Damage: 2 - 8
Durability: 7 of 15
Required Level: 14
Fingerprint: 0xf7d1d671
Item Level: 22
Version: Resurrected
+30% Faster Cast Rate
Adds 1 - 9 Lightning Damage
+2 to Terror (Necromancer Only)
+1 to Iron Maiden (Necromancer Only)
+2 to Corpse Explosion (Necromancer Only)
+3 to Amplify Damage (Necromancer Only)
+13 to Mana
Lightning Resist +40%

But, it has less +mana than Mordred's current wand ... and mana has been the issue ... hmm ... Let's see what Ormus has in store for us!

Completed Guardians
Rich (BB code):

Questing Heroes
Rich (BB code):
Vang             Annihilation     Druid  Kurast Docks NM   55     2022-02-06 No   Yes  No   -     D2R
HanShotFirst     Mordred          Necro  Kurast Docks      28     2022-03-24 Yes  Yes  Yes  10    D2R

The Fallen
Rich (BB code):

Up next:
I'd like to shop a wand with more mana and more plus Bone Spear. Also, it would be great to find some more of the Angelic set!

Reactions: Vildecor and Vang
Good luck, Mordred.

Plains of Despair Relief
Doubly so. First, Feofasia suffered a game crash in the Outer Steppes just as I had cleared them and had to start over. After that experience I have dropped using cloak of shadows completely with the character, replacing it with weaken charges as the general curse. It is enormously irritating and I saved and exited before continuing pas tthe outer steppes just to save the progress. Despite repulsive opposition from doom knights and a dual pack of multishot venom lords Feofasia hacked through to the Plains of Despair, where there were NO SOULS! Rejoice! Those would have been extremely dangerous to handle without cloaking and suffering further crashes would probably remove the fun in playing this one.

Feofasia took down Izual in no time, long live Goblin Toe!

The large demons are rather manageable since they get in the way of one another and can be trapped by the cold and frozen. The greater danger is a pack of fast enemies that quickly swarm and overwhelm the party. Woestave, as if one ever would need an excuse to use that incomparably stylish item, can actually blind enemies quite well this late in the game even if the fear of Feofasias mask mostly overrides it.

16.JPEG

Since this is a tournament-esque thread it is only proper to provide a picture of the notorious Black Hack.

17.JPEG

At level 83 Feofasia prepares to handla the abyss knights without cloaking and urdars without getting hammered into the ground.

Mordred, HC, SP, clvl 35, Bone Necro, Harrogath

Roll'in, roll'in, roll'in. Keep that progress roll'in. Roll'in, roll'in, roll'in. Demonhides!

182.png

183.png

Act III and Act IV have been full cleared at players 7!

Progress continued to be smooth with mana continuing to be the main issue. I wasn't able to shop a new wand that I liked from Ormus, but I did have a couple nice surprise drops:

184.png
This rare helm dropped right before I was about to stick a couple topazes in a plain two socket helm. So, sure! I'll take some and mana and resists at no added cost!

185.png
This magic amulet dropped soon after the helm. I hesitate to give up any mf at this stage in the game, but, since I only had a 14 mf amulet ... increasing my mana by 25% and adding some needed resistances seemed like a no brainer.

The next big upgrade came upon reaching the Pandemonium Fortress:
186.png
Haha! That more mana, more Bone Spear, wand that I'd been wanting. This more or less did the trick and got me to the point where finding mana potions wasn't all I was thinking about ...

Past that there weren't any gear upgrades though. I had a decent number of set/unique drops. But none that I immediately wanted to use.

Here's the set/uniques that resulted from a full clear of Act III at players 7:
(With 142 mf when Mordred killed, and 197 mf when the merc killed.)

Sander's Riprap, Heavy Boots (Spider Forest) <-- Nice for speed shopping :D .
Berserker's Hatchet, Double Axe (Great Marsh)
Cleglaw's Pincers, Chain Gloves (Flayer Dungeon Level 3)
Cathan's Seal, Ring (Flayer Jungle)
Sander's Taboo, Heavy Gloves (Lower Kurast)
Steelclash, Kite Shield (Ruined Temple)
Griswold's Edge, Broad Sword (Sewers Level 1)
Sparking Mail, Chain Mail (Sewers Level 1)
Angelic Sickle, Sabre (Ruined Fane)
Civerb's Cudgel, Grand Scepter (Durance of Hate Level 1)
Skewer of Krintiz, Sabre (Durance of Hate Level 2)
Twitchthroe, Studded Leather (Mephisto)
Rusthandle, Grand Scepter (Mephisto)

and in Act IV:

Sander's Riprap, Heavy Boots (Outer Steppes)
Hawkmail, Scale Mail (The Chaos Sanctuary) <-- Ooh, cool. CBF that can go on the merc.

So I wanted 'more of the Angelic set', and I got an Angelic item ... but the one that I was least interested in finding :rolleyes: . I guess I should be more specific in my asks ... So, I guess the Hawkmail was the big find then. I'm not using it at the moment but it is nice to have a source of CBF for the merc should I need it.

Also in the category of not being used, but could be used later:
187.png
I found my first white circlet in the Sewers Level 1 and decided to show it to Charsi. The result was quite surprising! I'm more concerned with mf at the moment, but, when my attention turns to breakpoints I'll be keeping this in mind!

And also in the future use category:
188.png
Haha! The thing I most wanted to find! Okay. Watch out! I've got a Sol Rune, and soon I'll have a socket quest, and I'm not afraid to use them! Sitting at 207 mana isn't bad ... but I'm ready to be done worrying about mana altogether!

Completed Guardians
Rich (BB code):

Questing Heroes
Rich (BB code):
HanShotFirst     Mordred          Necro  Harrogath         35     2022-03-26 Yes  Yes  Yes  25    D2R

The Fallen
Rich (BB code):

Up next:
I'd like to find a white partizan with an appropriate ilvl, and the Angelic armor or ring ;) .

How's it going with Chalan, has he survived so far?

Treacherous Forge
The urdars were manageable and disorganised with barely any middle managers among them, and the abyss knights were absent and apparently holding a meeting further down or soemthing like that, being abyss knights. Feofasias party clawed their way acros the river of flame at a slow pace, like most melee characters at this stage I suppose, and fought one of the most resilient Hephastos I've seen with stoneskin and something else and holy shock. Feofasia switched to fade for that battle in fear of the lightning aura and spectral hit. After a lot of poking and bleeding the way was clear to the forge and the most sought rune of assassins dropped!

18.JPEG

Feofasia was originally built to take maximun advantage of the Treachery rune word among other things. Now however she has grown dependant on her Smoke armour and while fades resistances and Treacherys speed is more or less equal to Smokes resistances and burst of speed it doesn't make up for the loss of weaken curses. However, Alhizeer on the other hand was quite happy to replace his old Spirit Forge linked mail with a treacherous breast plate. Feofasia can of course borrow it to charge up venom but since you lose the hotkeyon weaken when doing so it is a bit inconvenient, albeit quite strong. Probably more worth the effort in Act V than in Act IV.

Despite the considerable improvement for Alhizeer he and the rest had huge troubles with the oblivion knights and their minions and had to frequently retreat and draw out small parts of the minions in a tedious manner. Feofasia played it safe and mind blasted de Seis pack into rebellion until a path was cleared to the mage itself and also remembered to return from the waypoint and not get trapped by the angry demon stereotypes. That was very wise as the Infector of Souls spawned with fanaticism.

19.JPEG

Having handled Izual so quickly, I was a little bit optimistic about fighting Diablo and he was quite endurable with slowing and weakening working. Feofasia needed four health potions and one rejuvenation potion and since Diablo focused on her Alhizeer survived the battle! Alhizeer has actually for some inexplicable reasons urvived all of Avt IV, which is quite the feat for any of my mercenaries. The power of slowing and Vampire Gaze are certainly undeniable.

20.JPEG

21.JPEG

Feofasia faced bloody foothills with imps and death maulers which was a comparably easy combination, far from the annoying super speed foul crows or thorned quill rats that could have been there. Larzuk punched a hole into Alhizeers helm in which I put a Sol rune. I am already dreading going up against tomb vipers and picked up an armour suit of amicae to use if nothing better presents itself. In retrospect I shuld have gathered Sol runes for only that occassion. Feofasia is without any defense against the viper clouds and I probably have to risk cloaking when facing them and then trust in mindblasting to keep them stunned. In any case she is now at level 83 and has just smashed Shenk.

Reactions: HanShotFirst
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High