RWM / Vanilla question

gedda-d-e

Oct 13, 2003
Hello team,

Back at it but I have a questions, I am now on a PC after the last 12 years on a Macbook, so have some questions about the RWM and Vanilla.

I still have most of my old Mats/Pats as vanilla chars, and think I want to keep it that way, but is there a way to run D2 with both, I am thinking with the version switcher or something like that?

Thanks a lot!

/g

Reactions: D2DC and Babyhell
I'm not very good at all this technical stuff, but couldn't you just have two shortcuts? one with the -direct -txt modifiers for RWM, and one without for vanilla?

They'll still share a common character folder/screen I guess, so if you wanted it to be separate that way hopefully somebody else knows how.

Reactions: Jocular and Luhkoh
I'm not very good at all this technical stuff, but couldn't you just have two shortcuts? one with the -direct -txt modifiers for RWM, and one without for vanilla?

They'll still share a common character folder/screen I guess, so if you wanted it to be separate that way hopefully somebody else knows how.
If that works it is great. I mean I guess I'll have to read the bylaws to ensure I can use the same character folders, and just keep seperate stashes, but I don't see why not since that is essentially how time travel works and and RWM is allowed.

Thanks PB!

/g

ps. man, I hope they add the ladder runewords to SP in resurected...

Reactions: Babyhell
Issue is that you have to handle separate characters more than with/without RWM (for which the shortcut could be enough probably).

For that you may have to handle separate folders, and use some scripting to handle the folder change automatically when using the with or without shortcut.

What is your PC configuration? Windows 10?

Reactions: gedda-d-e
It should work fine w/ just two different shortcuts. One that starts in your "Runewords" folder with -direct -txt, and the other normal. Your screenshots will even be automatically separated between your main D2 folder and the Runewords subfolder, very convenient :)

I think this would be correct?

RWM shortcut:
Target: "C:\filepath\Diablo II\Diablo II.exe" -direct -txt

Start in: "C:\filepath\Diablo II\Runewords"

Non RWM shortcut:
Target: "C:\filepath\Diablo II\Diablo II.exe"

Start in: "C:\filepath\Diablo II"

P.S. Loving the Hoff profile :love:

P.P.S. In case you haven't played 1.14 and are having a hard time finding where to paste your old D2 save files to play them again, the new save directory is in "C:\Users\Username\Saved Games\Diablo II", where 'Username' is your windows account name.

Last edited:
Thank you - yes I read around and found the save files. Sweet, I will try this on the weekend to see how I do.

The hoff has been with me since joining the old SPF back in '03. Very on brand :sneaky:

Cheers all! Spirit here I come!

/g

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High