RIP: Our Fallen Friends (Ladder Season 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: RIP: Our Fallen Friends (Ladder Season 5)

Character name: BurgerAndFries
Character level: 62
Character class: Barbarian
Character build: Zerker
Game difficulty: Nightmare
Act: 5, Baal
Corpse looted: No
Death type: PvM

Was baaling on a whim with a few bananas, waiting on my wife to call. Hit F4 rather than 4 to pop a 'juve and old tall dark and ugly slapped me with a boss pack. I had a ton of fun with this character though, he died well.

4th HC death to date.

Character name: HelloStupid
Character level: 79
Character class: Druid
Character build: Dual-Tree Elemental (Tornado / Fissure) / Summoner
Game difficulty: Hell
Act: 3 (substantially less than one screen from Durance of Hate 2 Waypoint)
Corpse looted: Yes

This was my first Hardcore PvM high level death in more than a year and it was one of those D2 encounters that you end up just shaking your head at.

Situation : As it is almost Father's Day, my wife had decided to do me the "favor" of running one of my other characters (my Level 86 Hydra / Orb Sorceress) to help "HelloStupid" get through Durance of Hate and past Mephisto. We had the game all set up and were going nicely when a bunch of people that she "forgot that she had invited over for a party" showed up at the door, so we had to abort that D2 session and re-start about 2 hours later, when everyone had left.

What a bad decision that turned out to be.

When we started the new session, my wife was playing the Sorceress and I was playing the Druid.

Now before I tell you what happened, first let me give you a flavor for what kind of party we had:

Sorceress : Level 86, 850 life, 60% block, Level 12 or so ES, 880 point Hydras, 330 point Orb (@ -75% Cold Resist), resists from 60 to 75% across the board.

Sorceress Merc : Level 86 Act 2 Prayer (with Insight Meditation synergy), heals about 35-40 points per second, 2,000 life, 75% across the board resists, -15% PDR via Treachery, does 1,024-3,000 damage max per hit.

Druid : Level 79, 2,100 life (with Oak Sage up), 50% block, 650 point Cyclone Armor, 900 point Hurricane, 1300 point Tornado, 240 point Fissure, resists from 50 to 75% across the board.

Druid Merc : Level 79 Act 2 Might (with Bonehew... or at least he had it, before... :weep:), 3,650 life (with Oak Sage up), 75% across the board resists, -15% PDR via Treachery, does 1,250-3,700 damage max per hit.

Druid Grizzly : Level 21 with pre-buff, at least 4,000 life (with Oak Sage up), does (probably) about 2,000 damage per swipe.

Plus Oak Sage, Carrion Vine and 5 Ravens. All melee party members were Enchanted for about +150% AR, +200 Fire damage per hit.

So we all get ready, then go down to the Durance 2 Waypoint. We hadn't advanced so much as a half screen from the Waypoint, when we see barreling at us, a pack of 8 or more Might aura Urdars. :shocked: (At this point, I had been slowly advancing, and both Mercs, plus the Grizzly, were in front of me; my wife's Sorceress was slightly behind me.) Both Mercs go down in no more than 2 hits each (may have been one), followed about a second later by the Grizzly.

Needless to say I call a retreat, but it's too late. These Urdars have rocketed across the screen, and one of them (I am positive that Oak was still up at this point) hits me, I block. My wife Teleports as far backward as possible and then Town Portals back to Kurast Docks. Urdar hits me again; Cyclone Armor and at least 1,000 of my 2,100 life vanishes instantly. I rejuve and throw a Town Portal, but the @#$!#$ Urdars have Knockback, so of course I can never get a second to throw another. :dizzy: (You have no idea how fast these monsters were. They were literally 'teleporting' all over the screen.) Finally, I get knocked back into the midst of at least 5 Urdars, including the boss (BTW: there were at least 2 bosses, but we only got a good look at one of them), and get killed in one shot right on the Durance 2 Waypoint (I was frantically hitting the rejuve hotkeys; had no effect at all).

The boss that finally did me in, had the following characteristics:

Extra Strong, Extra Fast, Might aura, Lightening Enchanted, Stone Skin, Immune to Lightening. As I mentioned, one of the other Urdars also was a boss, I didn't get a good look at him but I think I saw Fire Enchanted and Extra Strong.

For the record, my wife might have been able to have avoided this, had she thrown some Hydras out in front and then fired off an Orb or two, to slow these horrific things down. But as she wasn't that familiar with the character, its hotkeys or the strategy behind it, I can't really blame her for the fiasco.

Now this Druid had some reasonably good stuff, namely a low Skins, a nice Lore Druid hat, Magefists, Tiamat's shield, a Spirit sword, Sandstorm Trek boots, etc., I figured that I should at least try to get it back.

The problem was that the Urdar boss back was camping out on the Waypoint, or near it. So I had my wife park herself in front of the computer that I had been on, now looking at the scene through poor "HelloStupid"'s dead eyes, and I went upstairs to run D2 on my laptop and bring in my Level 86 Summoner Necro, "Mr_Hate".

The Necro had trouble finding suitable Revives, but eventually, we settled on Marauders from Act 2. I have the wife calling out the play-by-play from the basement... "are they still right at the Waypoint? Yes? OK, tell me when they move off... what's that, 'go'? Here I go!"

The instant that I get to the Waypoint, I step back to let the minions uncluster, which, thankfully, they did. Then my Necro gets his first "being hit over the head" lesson, which relieves him of 500+ of his 1,024 hit points. About 3 seconds later, down goes the 3,900 life Fire Golem. (Note that each time the Urdars hit him, they were taking, counting in the standard physical resistance of all Hell monsters, about 400% reflected damage.) Purple pill and step back further, throwing the Attract curse... a life-saver if ever there was one, since the huge pack of Urdars that was closing in on "Mr_Hate" now turns its attentions to one of their own.

One by one, I see them whack their fellow monsters into oblivion as in turn I Attract a different Urdar, finally, I have a crew of perhaps 6 remaining Marauders, plus 3 or so Revived Urdars, plus my entire army of Skeletons and Mages, plus my Act 1 Merc with Open Wounds, start whaling away at the boss. He finally expires after about a minute and a half, having destroyed nearly my whole army in the process. By the way, did I mention that most of my army had been Enchanted by the Sorceress?

Only half-rhetorically, I'd like to ask the other Forum members, "what on God's green Earth is one supposed to do, to avoid being killed by a mob like that?" Losing a Level 79 character is never fun, but it could have been worse, I could have lost a Level 86 Sorceress and, possibly, a Level 86 Necromancer, as well, I could not have been Looted, and, well, at least I didn't get TPPK'ed...

...although it kind of feels like I did. :xxx:

Grrr... "Happy Father's Day..." as if. :tombstone:

Cheers

Mr. Bill

Character name: ShoesOfSkin
Character level: 18
Character class: Necromancer
Character build: Fishymancer
Game difficulty: Norm
Death type: PvP(if it qualifies as that)

Alright, I've lost hope in playing HC mode on Bnet. I simply joined a norm game, a level 88 Pally hostiled me and I died from what I'm guessing was Holy Fire right beside my stash. I never left town, and took about 2 steps before I died.

What the hell happened? Hacks?

Character name: Karatekida
Character level: 70
Character class: Assassin
Character build: Kick/Trapper
Act: 1, Tristram

I had just managed to put together some nice runewords (duress, crescent moon) and felt like testing my new gear on hell cows. Went to tristram and she was kicking some serious ***. Griswold comes walking down, I know he was fire and cold enchanted, but I also think that he was "spectral hit, extra strong," and some more. My merc engages him, and even though he had a ton of life, GW kills him in just two hits...ouch...and before I even realised whats happened, my SM is gone too. I was tired at the moment and felt to lacy to go to town and resurrect the merc, and didnt even respawn the SM (HC - no,no). I unleash the furious DT on him and his life is just flying away (static field + CB + around 4k dmg/DT). It was so easy..."what the hell was my merc doing"...But. When GW only had like 1sec left to live, he manages to hit me and half of my life disappears in an instant. Unfortunately, I begin a new wave of kicks (DT - 5 kicks) approx. at the same time or shortly after he hits me - BAAM - corpse explosion and cold nova - RIP.

The death pisses me off, I mean its griswold Im talking about here...not pindleskin, lister or the punk snakes in act 5.

I lost some good equipment but the most sad thing is that she was a very fun character to play with, prob the most fun ive played really. Now Im building a pure kicker and soon the death of her sister will be avenged. If not the ladder reset beats her to it....

Character name: RidenBiden
Character level: 89
Character build: Poison Nova/Revives
Act: 5

Death By Gloams. Pretty much sums it up. Roommate was on his lvl 86 Windy Druid so his Cyclone Armor ate the lightning up, but sadly, Mr. RidenBiden only had 54 lite res and was taken down in 3 lightning bolts.

Had him up to 26k nova. Felt confidant he could handle all of that, but alas he met his fate.

Character name: Z_Beeblebrox
Character level: 54
Character build: Skelliemancer
Act: 4

I was in a private game by myself, going to kill Izual.

I walk up the stairs to the Plains and am happy to see Izual right there. I am gratified to see that my skellies are making comparitively short work of him.

Then four Doom Knights (not unique, not fanatics or champions, just your regular run-of-the-mill Doom Knights) come onto the screen. All go for my skellies who have Izual surrounded, but at the last moment one turns and comes for me. It is the only monster close enough to hit me. All the others are at least 2/3rds of a screen away.

I'm not particularly worried as I have full hitpoints (almost 600) and my 100 hp Bone Armor is up. It hits me once and reduces me to about 100 hp. I start repeatedly hammering the Full-Rejuv button (I drank at least one, as I saw my health-globe fill) and as I'm running away from it and re-casting Bone Armor it one-hit kills me.

I just don't understand this death. According to this page:

http://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Oblivion_Knight

...nightmare Doom Knights can only hit for a maximum of 98 instant damage (70 physical, 28 elemental (all my resistances were over 50%)). Yet this thing hit me only twice and did at least 500hp damage on both occasions?! :(

I'm thinking the server must have just been having a brain-explosion.

HC Death Certificate:
============

RIP: Our Fallen Friends
Death Certificate

Character name: TTT_OfficeLB
Character level: 88
Character class: Barb
Character build: Zerker
Act: 5

Was doing a few runs with some gaussers and I did the tele duties with this barb who was kitted (testing high end gear)
Just done a game where I ran into conviction, might and fant in the throne room and managed to clear with snakes and knights

This game I tele in to the top right corner next to baal to find 3 champion horodrim guys (they raise skellies from act 2) Forgot the names its late :p
Did not think much of it to be honest quieter than the last few runs.

I am not amped or anything no auras are visible and I have my BO - life is over 5k - switch weapons (from tele to eBOTD - SShield) just as i am surrounded and suddenly find myself with 15% life a fraction of a second later deeds - no chance of fat purple - I was shocked to see anything even make a dent in this top end gear- nigma, sol'd arreats etc etc

They (with me now dead) skuttle off at light speed to the left side of the screen (no auras showing still)
Got looted which was good - but the items that got lent to me COH (merc) nice skillers and 20 lifers are all gone - demonlimb,Bk ring etc etc

I can only assume that they got perfect rolls against me :scratchchin:

Ahh well roll on 1.13 :coffee:

Death Certificate

Character name: Legendina
Character level: 63
Character class: Amazon
Character build: Bowazon
Game difficulty: Normall
Act: 1
Death type: TPPK

Cause of demise: Well of all things I figured I would be fine running out in town specially since it was just a level 30 that had hosteled all of us, but I should've known better:banghead:. I didn't think anything of it. We were all just waiting for the chanter to get in the game, and I was just shooting some things out in the blood moor a bit of a ways from town just to be "safe". When the next thing I see is the "Your Deeds Will Be Remembered" screen. I guess he charged me and was a one shot one kill. Twas a very sad day, had just gotten a lycanders bow and was quite enjoying my uped damage abilities. This was my best character as well as the highest. Might switch over to East now since I see alot of people play there.
-Kill

Last edited:

HC Death Certificate:
============

Death Certificate

Character name: Guardian Putrifier
Character level: 79
Character build: Fishymancer
Act: 3, Travincal

Some relaxing nighttime magic finding. Two Hell games of killing Andariel, Travincal, Mephisto, Chaos Sanctuary, Eldritch/Shenk, Pindle, Baal. Got some nice stuff (Trang Oul's Scales and some low uniques that would have worked well for my Barb), and was merrily humming along Gloams/Hell Knights be damned. Never ran into any major problems, playing it safe letting the minions take the brunt of everything. Massive corpse explosions, fun times.

Start a 3rd game, get a 15 resist/3 min damage jewel (nice!) off of Andy. Decide to run Mephisto's soulstone for the quest (put it off for a while) and get an Um rune (double bonus!). Feeling pretty good about my night, and plan on having this be my last run.

Go back to Travincal again, and brazenly run into the main room with the Council. Everything is going fine, and the council is dying pretty fast. Geleb Flamefinger is the last guy up, and he's steadily going down (Stone skin, Fire and Frost enchanted plus some other mods). I'm half paying attention, and he decides to run a bit closer to me (still about 8 yds away).

My merc pops him as he inches a bit closer, BOOM frost/corpse explosion (ack!!!!!) but it almost seems like I'm out of ran- OH CRAP. Life orb goes down to almost nothing, pauses for a sec (I should have purpled...) and I think I'm fine, then *dead*.

I stand there speechless. I honestly thought I was fine, there were no other creatures nearby, so it must have been a delayed death. I should have potted/paid more attention to where I was.

So, I lost a night's haul of MF'd gear, and the rest of all my gear (just running around by myself since US_West is practically dead for Hardcore games).

Sigh, and I still had 15 skill points I wanted to use (Maxed CE/SM/RS, and the 1pt wonders)...

HC Death Certificate:
============

Death Certificate

Character name: Apica
Character level: 54
Character class: Assassin
Character build: Kicker
Act: 3
Corpse looted: no

was doin' solo Quests at nightmare.. finaly I came at Travi, killed most of the council members.- Finaly Geleb Flamefinger (fire enchanted) - Killed him, huge corpse explosion - killed me.

Last edited:

HC Death Certificate:
============

Death Certificate

Character name: MidnightCold
Character level: clvl 73
Character class: class Sorc
Character build: Charged Bolts + Orb sorc
Act: 1 next to last Andy WP

Cause of demise:
Found a nice ambush with 3 Archer Skelly Bosses (cold immune), they were right behind the door in an angle and I was over confident... Let's go in to kick their butts...
Merc died in one sec ! and I died in 2 ! gulping 3 small rejuv didd't help lol.
first HC char and I was happy to reach Hell without mistakes.
My advice IF you have 10 min in front of you to do a quick run DO NOT use an HC char, in 10 minutes you are not focussed enough and you make wrong (very wrong) decisions...

[highlight]RIP: Our Fallen Friends[/highlight]
[highlight]Death Certificate[/highlight]

Character name: [highlight]SoulAbducter_HC[/highlight]
Character level: [highlight]73[/highlight]
Character class: [highlight]Necro[/highlight]
Character build: [highlight]Fishy[/highlight]
Game difficulty: [highlight]Hell act 1[/highlight]
Corpse looted: [highlight]No[/highlight]
Death type: [highlight]PvM[/highlight]

[highlight]Cause of demise:[/highlight]
Raising me skelliearmy from wp in stonyfields. Portal to save Cain is up (since I have cleared this before) so I think I will pay the butcher alittle visit, ie. pwne his little arse. Instead I got pwned by a nasty skellie archer boss, **** I hate archers! Insta died from 900hp to 0. needless to say I shouted; - SAATAAAAAAAAN! :p (in swedish that is, which would bemore like FUUUUUUUUUUK! in english). Im gonna head out now and get some sun on me and think of which character I will lvl next in hardcore.

Perhaps I should have spent my 25 talent points in bone armor :p

Character name: cc-Phoenix
Character level: 20
Character class: Drood
Character build: Windy in the making
Game difficulty: Normal
Act 1: Quill Rat......kidding: Cows
Corpse looted: No, had no gear yet
Death type: PvC

I was just trying to level with my freshly booted up Druid. But disaster struck even with a ridiculously high enchant by Dyolf. I was with one other dude from Gauss and he exited right before me. I still was a bit slow (physically of course) by the beers from the last few days, so couldn't quit in time. But I will remake him tonight. I just have to come up with a name.

edit: cc-Quetzalcoatl ready for action!

============

Death Certificate

Character name: Mawg
Character level: 87
Character build: Summoner
Act: Act 4

Cause of demise:
Was doing some random farming in hell Chaos Sanctuary and accidentally teleported too close to Lord De Suis who proceeded to 2 shot my character 1600 hp and 600HP Bone Armour gone in two hits :: Extra fast - Extra Song - Cursed - Fatat minions made quick work of me...

The death could have been avoided however I was rusty after just coming back to D2 a couple weeks earlier, I accidentally hit 1 for a Super Healing Potion instead of 2 3 or 4 for a Full Rejuvenation and tried to save and exit instead of alt F4... oh well my own fault, just sucks that I lost my Enigma and everything, I also shouldn't have been teleporting towards De Suis after just spawning him and should have walked the 10 feet...

RIP Shaela - Lvl 72

Character Name, Class, Level, and Realm/SP: Shaela, Amazon(Strafazon / Valkazon), 72, US-West

Location of Death: Throne Of Destruction (Nightmare)

Cause of Death: TPPK by a lvl 81 (Or 82?) Fire Sorceress

Details:

I had done a few runs with this group of people, and was told to sit in the corner (So as not to steal any loot) - I happily obliged, as I had just maxed Penetrate the game before (My third maxed skill). I'm sitting here BO'd with 2k life and 75 FR, so not too phased, when suddenly, in a single split second, the Sorc appears RIGHT next to me, vanishes in a TP, and deeds pops up, all in an instant - I didn't stand a chance... Everyone else quit as I died.

Greatest Regret: Not muelling off my full stash, which included my Buriza (I was wearing my Lyc)

Famous Last Words: Can I at least shoot into the middle? (The game before I died - I was told to sit away and leech, so I did - I did decent damage, and could baal myself though...)

What Could Have Prevented This Tragedy: Well, nothing really. As this could have happened with the same sorc was 30 levels lower, I had no hope... So, in totality, I guess what could have prevented it is not Baaling with Sorc's over 50 (Or Druids(Nado) of course, or Necromancers(Spear), or Assassins (Lightning Sentry), or Barbs(Might have double throw on alt), or Paladins(FoH / Holy Bolt), or Amazonss (Might be able to TPPK somehow))... So I guess really no public nightmare games :|

If anyone wants to know, the Sorc's account name was "Engineer."

HC Death Certificate:
============

Death Certificate

Character name: MissVoltage
Character level: 90
Character class: Sorceress
Character build: Lightning Sorceress
Act: 5/Halls of Vaught
Corpse looted: NO

Cause of demise: Surprise lag spike at the stairs as soon as I head down into the Halls of Vaught. As it happens, laggy sorc's are the vipers' favorite food. They just prefer to spam it with poison javelins for an hour and a half before they eat it.

Greatest regret: Deciding "just to peek" into the Halls, and knowing I'd leave as soon as I saw the first hint of vipers. Yeah, would've been nice to have that chance. So there goes the CoH, 17/16/10 anni & only arach I busted my butt to find. All self-found, not that it matters anymore.

Reaction: This is the first HC char I've had die. Surprisingly, it didn't bother me despite how much I lost. I knew better than to make an HC sorc.

Lesson learned: Don't make HC sorcs, or don't even peek into the Halls of Vaught. I'll do both from here on out.

=============

HC Death Certificate:
============

Death Certificate

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/7655/screenshot4v.png

Character name: cc-Quetzalcoatl
Character level: 84
Character class: Druid
Character build: Windy
Act: 1, Pit level 2

So this archer appeared to be fire enchanted and even with 73 fr I couldn't stop her from killing me. Too bad, but I needed a sorc anyway. :)

Next char up within 3 hours.

HC Death Certificate:
============

Death Certificate

Character name: Medium_Rare
Character level: 50
Character class: Sorc
Character build: Baller
Game difficulty: Nm!!
Act: Catacombs level 2

So I was impatient about my previous death (yes, above this one. It's starting to feel like a diary). I tried to run Andy for some gear, but running around for gear without gear doesn't show common sense. The first unique I encountered gave me a few slaps in the face (like in a correctional slap) and as I took his life he exploded with a decent FE AGAIN!

That was the end of Medium_Rare. Maybe it's fate intervening, for me not to make it too easy. Impatient as I am I immediately made the next char Awesomassin. A trapper going for max claw block. Let's see if those pesky FE are so smart then. She's lvl 58 now and going strong, thanks to the members of Gauss of course.

Next char up within 3 hours.

Death Certificate

Character name: ThisIsMalaga
Character level: 66
Character class: Paladin
Character build: OW-Frostadin
Act: 4 CS

already on the finishing straight to become king, i got reckless and for some stupid reason greedy with my pots...i thought i could run away from a normal fiend, not even CI or mob. already 5 foot between me and them a little lag takes its toll and they appear next to me. should have popped a purple and a red one and killed the b__ch...

noobs mistake
noobs remake

Death Certificate

Character name: GlaucusMaximus
Character level: 44
Character class: Paladin
Character build: FoH/Conviction
Act: 3
Death type: TPPK

Not much to say here...joined a public game to complete the Gidbinn quest, only 2 people in it, and this lvl 87 Sorc joined and offered help. Of course no one accepted, and as I was near the Flayer Jungle WP spamming FoH around, she popped on my screen and on the next second it was DEEDS. Yes, she searched through the waypoints and was pretty damn lucky I was nearby ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High