Random Tournament 2021 D2R edition!

@Vildecor Good luck in hell. Not sure if you have many options to improve your life (other than CtA 😛) but I'd be super nervous with just 824 life on a melee character.

Time for Odin's final update. Won't be much besides the one interesting drop he had in Act V which was done on /p1. Most of the outdoor areas had slinger or archer spawns. He never had an issue with the archers, but had to be careful with the slingers. He did the minimum of exploring needed to finish all the quests and grab all the WPs, no optional areas were done. And without further ado, his interesting drop:
Screenshot112.png

Nothing to use it on at this point though. I had dropped the ball on getting a circlet or ammy with teleport charges, thinking that would be needed if I were to make any attempt at separating the ancients. I had gambled a lot of circlets throughout the playthrough, though I don't think I paid much attention to teleport, so it's possible I did gamble one, but immediately sold it. This time I gambled amulets, since they're cheaper, and once again, gambled a S/U. This time it was Civerb's amulet, so not remotely useful. Didn't get one with teleport charges though. I did leave a lot of the areas preceding the ancients left so Odin could go back and clear it out if he struggled and Gulzar died a few times, since I gambled nearly all my money. And without further ado, he went up to the Arreat Summit to consult the ancients!

Screenshot114.png
Screenshot115.png
Screenshot116.png

That was the order in which Odin put them to rest. I got lucky with the mods the first roll, so never needed to reroll. The crushing blow on Gulzar's Obedience took out about ~1/3 of Korlic's life almost instantly, before I could even run around and try and separate them or check mods. So I decided to just attempt killing them all together if Odin could manage it, and he was able to pretty handily.

The WSK wasn't much of an issue, no dolls and no gloams, it was mostly easy spawns. Worst was the Vile Witch type. I did try the Nature's Peace ring for Baal's minions, but it seemed totally ineffective. They were being resurrected and I still had play the speed horking game. So I switched back to the Dwarf Star. None of the waves really posed much of an issue, and with that, Baal was attempted on /p3.
Screenshot117.png

And so, Odin became a Guardian! I still hadn't done the cow level or Nihl, so I started back up and entered the cow level. It was a dicey situation right from the start. There were at least 2 unique packs that got pulled to the red portal. I tried to keep them under control with War Cry, but even so, Gulzar bit the dust pretty fast. When I resurrected him and went back through, I spammed Howl, which made it slightly more manageable, but the uniques were still hammering him bad. On the third try, I just ran spamming Howl and War Cry until I found a tiny bit of pasture where no cows had chased us. Once he got his footing and had some safe area to work with, he was able to slowly and methodically clear out cows and not get swarmed. He just killed the Cow King and cleared back to the red portal and left. I really hate killing Nihl, the levels are just enormous. Luckily no maggot spawns in there, and it was pretty easy going. Odin only got hit with a couple corpse explosions, but they did maybe 700 damage, so not an issue. And now, Odin can bask in retirement!

I'll post his gear and skills and whatnot a little bit later. I quite enjoyed playing Odin and he's my first Barbarian Guardian. Horking corpses was much more fun and much less of a chore than I ever would have guessed. The payoff was very noticeable throughout the playthrough. I was pretty surprised how good of melee skill Berserk is, it does phenomenal damage and has a great AR bonus. Once Odin made it to Hell and got access to War Cry, it was smooth sailing.

Thanks @Vang for hosting and thanks @Grisu for hooking me up with some great rolls! Good luck everyone still going!

Congrats @skoolbus on the guardian!

Fernando has continued his journey. It has been very slow going, separating monster packs in order not to overwhelm the mercenary. The open outdoor areas were the worst as there were no doorways/hallways to funnel enemies, and LI beetles were very much a pain.

I really wanted to grab all the waypoints, which meant I needed to get to Halls of the Dead level 2. Level 1 ended up being a slog dealing with LI unravellers, with a couple of champions as well guarding the way down. Lots of time was spent leading the skeletons away from them, or just waiting until they were smashed to shards, then smiting one of the unravellers away from the rest to kill him. Level 2 was a very bad spawn, with 2 unraveller packs in the entryway. I decided to risk a straight run through the area to the WP, and managed to survive.

The maggot lair was definitely a nice break, even with all the beetles, as enemies were easily funneled into narrow hallways. Coldworm's room was fun, as I concentrated mostly on killing the bigger insects and let my Holy Shock pulse deal with all the smaller spawns.

The claw viper temple was going pretty smoothly until I got to the 2nd level. After killing a couple of door-greeters, I turned the corner and immediately found Fangskin's pack.

Screenshot002.png

LE + manaburn (and also Spectral Hit). With nowhere to retreat except upstairs, I took a gamble and decided to rush straight for the altar and take everything on at the stairway there. I passed a 2nd claw viper boss group on the way, but eventually made it.

Screenshot003.png

Maneuvering around Fangskin's pack at the doorway was the closest Fernando has come to dying, and if either bosspack had Might, Fanaticism, or Extra Strong, he probably would not have lived. We let everything in the room come to us at the stairway, cleared everything and grabbed the amulet. So that makes 2 big risky calls that ended up paying off.

The merc kept dying to a skeleton mage bosspack in the Palace Level 3. They were lightning casters who I believe were also cold enchanted. I again just decided to leave them by and run by them, as well as Fire Eye's group guarding the door to the portal. I ended up exploring all four arms of Arcane Sanctuary before finding the Summoner. This area was quite easy, with the only danger being making sure I fed plenty of potions to the merc when he engaged ghosts. The summoner's platform only had ghosts, so once they were pulled away and killed, I ended up having to 1v1 the summoner while the merc cheered me on from a platform away.

I made a beeline for the true tomb, only having to deal with 1 sabre cat boss group on the way. The tomb was filled with beetles, so many trips to town were necessary for potion restocking. The Blunderbores and Vampires were no issue. After downing plenty of thawing potions, I smacked Duriel a bit until the slow from the General's Tan Do Li Ga was applied, and then smited him down.

Screenshot004.png

Almost at 900 life now! It was a moderately safe fight, only going down to just under 200hp at one point. He left a pile of garbage, including a 2nd suffering essence.

Screenshot005.png

No gear upgrades, and I don't see myself doing any more gambling anytime soon either. I'm back up to 800-900k gold, but I definitely want a nice buffer for merc resurrections. I'm also definitely not looking forward to dealing with hordes of LI fetishes, but at least they don't have a lot of life.

Here's a screenshot of the LCS with BO, Shout (useless), and Might:
Screenshot124.png

Skills:
Bash: 1/2
Leap: 0/0
Double Swing: 1/2
Stun: 1/2
Double Throw: 1/2
Leap Attack: 0/0
Concentrate: 1/2
Frenzy: 1/2
Whirlwind: 0/0
Berserk: 20/21

Sword Mastery: 0/0
Axe Mastery: 0/0
Mace Mastery: 0/0
Pole Arm Mastery: 0/0
Throwing Mastery: 0/0
Spear Mastery: 0/0
Increased Stamina: 0/0
Iron Skin: 0/3
Increased Speed: 0/0
Natural Resistance: 0/2

Howl: 10/11
Find Potion: 1/2
Taunt: 1/3
Shout: 10/11
Find Item: 12/13
Battle Cry: 1/2
Battle Orders: 20/21
Grim Ward: 0/0
War Cry: 14/15
Battle Command: 0/0

Screenshot132.png
Screenshot133.png
Screenshot134.png
Screenshot135.png
Screenshot136.png
Screenshot137.png
Screenshot138.png
Screenshot139.png
Screenshot140.png

Here's the gloves he used most of the time until finding the LoH and some of his better charms:
Screenshot143.png
Screenshot141.png
Screenshot142.png

Screenshot144.png
Screenshot145.png
Screenshot146.png

All in all, Odin was a lot of fun to play and kept up great killing speed throughout the game. A point in Taunt and a few points in Polearm Mastery would have been very beneficial, but Howl and Warcry were more than sufficient. Find Item was phenominal, I'd estimate half my noteworthy finds came from it. I thought he was a really strong character, definitely a solid choice for untwinked single pass. NM was more difficult than Hell, since I could use War Cry in Hell. That really made him almost unkillable.

Here's what the original rolls and rerolls were:

Skill sets:

4 -> 19,23,27 -> Increased Speed, Double Swing, Concentrate
45 -> 1, 5,30 -> Howl, Find Item, Berserk
46 -> 8,15,28 ->Grim Ward, Throwing Mastery, Frenzy
48 -> 2,7,9 -> Find Potion, Battle Orders, War Cry
56 -> 4, 8 ,28 -> Shout, Grim Ward, Frenzy
93 -> 7,12,28 -> Battle Orders, Axe Mastery, Frenzy

Weapons:
Broad Sword -> Flail
Scythe
Halberd

Armor:
Cap -> Circlet
Armor 3
Large Shield
Leather Gloves
Boots
Heavy Belt
Horned Helm

And I went:

Forever
45 -> 1, 5,30 -> Howl, Find Item, Berserk

Normal
4 -> 19,23,27 -> Increased Stamina, Double Swing, Concentrate

NM
93 -> 7,12,28 -> Battle Orders, Axe Mastery, Frenzy

Hell
48 -> 2,7,9 -> Find Potion, Battle Orders, War Cry
56 -> 4, 8 ,28 -> Shout, Grim Ward, Frenzy

Attachments

• Screenshot141.png
    Screenshot141.png
    454.7 KB · Views: 3
I recently got the urge to play D2 again, and this looks like fun.

Someone want to give me some rolls starting with a random class?

Thanks!

I recently got the urge to play D2 again, and this looks like fun.

Someone want to give me some rolls starting with a random class?

Thanks!
Welcome!

(3) Barbarian

79, 31, 21, 62, 19

19: Axe Mastery, Increased Stamina, Double Throw
21: Find Potion, Battle Orders, Battle Command
31: Howl, Battle Orders, Increased Stamina
62: Battle Command, Increased Stamina, Frenzy
79: Battle Command, Iron Skin, Concentrate
80: Taunt, Sword Mastery, Concentrate

Items:

Armor 2
Full Helm
Tower Shield
Gauntlets
Boots
Light Belt > Belt

(Class Specific)

Assault Helm

Weapons: (2 2-handed, 1 spear)

Maul> Broad Axe
Battle Axe
Brandistock

I would reroll Maul (hoping for 2 handed weapon sword) and 19 skill set if it was my roll. (I would roll skill set first to see if a mastery was done prior to weapon)

Last edited:
Reactions: ranagrande
Welcome!

(3) Barbarian

79, 31, 21, 62, 19

31: Taunt, Battle Orders, Increased Stamina
62: Battle Command, Increased Stamina, Frenzy

Items:

Armor 2
Full Helm
Tower Shield
Gauntlets
Boots
Light Belt

(Class Specific)

Assault Helm

Weapons: (2 2-handed, 1 spear)

Maul
Battle Axe
Brandistock

I would reroll Maul (hoping for 2 handed weapon sword) and 19 skill set if it was my roll. (I would roll skill set first to see if a mastery was done prior to weapon)
I think I will reroll the Maul and the Light Belt first. The new weapon will determine which skill set I change. If I do get a two-handed sword, I will follow your advice and reroll set 19. If I do not get a two-handed sword, I will instead reroll set 62.

Thanks again!

I think I will reroll the Maul and the Light Belt first. The new weapon will determine which skill set I change. If I do get a two-handed sword, I will follow your advice and reroll set 19. If I do not get a two-handed sword, I will instead reroll set 62.

Thanks again!
7: Broad Axe
3: Belt

Reroll: 62 to 80

Set 80: Taunt, Sword/Blade Mastery, Concentrate

Updated previous post

Reactions: ranagrande
Alright, cool. I think maybe I'll go with axes and concentrate. :p

I'm going to gimp myself to autoattacking through normal and allocate my skill sets thusly:

Forever

Nightmare
80: Taunt, Sword Mastery, Concentrate

Hell
31: Howl, Battle Orders, Increased Stamina

After getting a random name, I'm off to create Nikhil the Barbarian!

Reactions: Vang and D4di56lu3
a 5os Mancatcher would probably be really nice once patch goes live for Obedience.

a 5os Mancatcher would probably be really nice once patch goes live for Obedience.
That's a good idea. I could share it with a merc too. I don't even have to wait for a patch, because I'm also a barbarian in real life and I don't have D2R.

Reactions: Vang
Fernando cautiously made his way out of the Kurast Docks, tackling many lightning immune enemies in the jungle areas. After successfully collecting a statue, eyeball, and dagger, he ventured into the Flayer Dungeon and found the first interesting drop of Act III.

Screenshot003.png

After grabbing a brain and clearing all of Lower Kurast, he did a quick muling session to cube socket the Thresher -- resulting in 5 sockets. I had the runes to make Honor, and so the merc got a very nice upgrade.

Screenshot007.png

Fernando had also found himself a nice upgrade clearing Lower Kurast.

Screenshot005.png

While clearing the Kurast Bazaar, a new shiny rock dropped as well.

Screenshot009.png

This gave me the ability to craft an Oath weapon, assuming I could find a base for it! Things were definitely looking better and better. I cleared the Forgotten Temple with no issues, and continued to fully clear the Bazaar and Upper Kurast along with each temple. A couple of temples were abandoned after seeing some LI beetles with bad mods. I grabbed the heart from the Sewers and made my way to Travincal. I had a nasty spawn of Heirophant Champions in the middle of the map who were also near a few groups of regular Hierophants and Zealots. After dragging the LI zealots away bit by bit and ending them, I had to resort to smiting the champion Hierophants away from the rest to take them on one at a time.

I dragged out council members a few at a time, easily handling the FI ones and smiting away at those who were LI. I smashed the orb and headed into the Durance of Hate. There weren't too many issues here, with the only LI enemies being the Blunderbores. I just made sure to sway away from the splodey dolls and handle Blunderbore boss packs in doorways. My level 2 map wasn't too terrible and easily found my way to level 3.

There were no enemies in the first area, so I went to pull out some of Sparkfist's pack. He turned out to have a Conviction aura, and of course they were all LI. I pulled back to the stairs and TP'd out to res the merc. I came back in and soon found I had the whole boss group to deal with. I didn't want to try to run through the level to find a better spot, and since my smite setup had more resistances than my vengeance setup, I figured I could handle things OK if I was careful.

Screenshot012.png

I died smiting Bremm Sparkfist himself. In hindsight, I probably should have just ignored him and focused on bringing his minions down one at a time, but I was wanting to negate the Conviction aura and underestimated how bad his charged bolts were hurting me.

I was anticipating deeds with this guy since early in Act I hell, so I'm actually surprised he made it this far.

Good luck to those still running!

The table should be updated, but I only checked progress for the past 10 pages of the thread.

Code:
   D2R Forum Name        Character Name       Class   Level  Skills         Location               Score
-- --- ----------        --------------       -----   -----  ------         --------               ----
SP Yes Grisu             Randomnipotent       Nec     86.3   33+14+34+58+83 Guardian 01/10/22       54
SP Yes skoolbus          Odin                 Bar     84     45+48+56       Guardian 02/27/22       54
   Yes Babyhell          BleedRunner          Pal     83.3   78+86+71       Guardian 10/27/21       45
   Yes Vang              Levia                Ama     82     69+9+90        Guardian 10/29/21       45
SP Yes Quackerz          Nero                 Dru     73     52+26+42       Lut Gholein H           39
SP Yes thefranklin       RandomWayToDie       Ass     59     40+74          NM Kurast Docks         24
SP Yes aitrus            RandomDeadNecro      Nec     42     21+75          NM Lut Gholein          21
   Yes D4di56lu3         MrDevaStation        Nec     48     32+67          NM Rogue Encampment     15
   Yes maxicek           Forley               Bar     29     42+18          Pandemonium Fortress     9
SP Yes Vang              Trashard             Pal     22     84+89          Halls of Dead 2          3
SP Yes jstani01          mystery              Bar     18     93             Inner Cloister           0
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your SOUL was swallowed by the resurrection (aka Deeds)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   Yes Jcakes            Athena               Ass     83+    44+29+51+90    H Ancients Way          42
   Yes Vildecor          Fernando             Pal     77     96+42+48+86    Deeds                   36
SP No  softlyfalling     Ansa                 Ass     75     39+12+14+58    Deeds                   36
   Yes D4di56lu3         Deva                 Ass     80     19+30+39+77    Deeds Hell Lut Gholein  33
SP Yes Babyhell          VangKenstein         Sor     72     66             Deeds NM Frozen Tundra  30
SP Yes Jcakes            SerafinaPekkala      Ama     60     5 + 50         Deeds                   24
   Yes Vang              Multiple             Multi   58     Many           Deeds                   21
   Yes corale            Meoh                 Dru     43     65             Deeds                   15
SP Yes Dazliare          Mulgram              Bar      ?     56             Act 5                   12
   Yes Dazliare          Priscilla            Sor     25     25+72          Deeds                   9
   Yes Miron             Hartwig              Bar     29     8+75           Deeds                   6
   Yes coju              RandyTom             Bar     25      5             Deeds                   3
   Yes Sid               Brisket              Dru     8      07+52          Deeds
   Yes Jamesixgun        Devi                 Sor     7      66+78          Deeds
   Yes Sid               Bortleby             Pal     23     40             Deeds

@Vildecor RIP. Impressive making it that far with less than ideal life totals.

@ranagrande Good luck with your barb! It's interesting reading about the thought process behind the skill choices. I'd have opted for 80: Taunt, Sword Mastery, Concentrate as my forever for the taunt, even without getting sword as a weapon. An axe barb will be really cool looking I bet.

Reactions: Vildecor
@Vildecor RIP. Impressive making it that far with less than ideal life totals.

@ranagrande Good luck with your barb! It's interesting reading about the thought process behind the skill choices. I'd have opted for 80: Taunt, Sword Mastery, Concentrate as my forever for the taunt, even without getting sword as a weapon. An axe barb will be really cool looking I bet.
Taunt is one of those skills I tend to forget I have. :p

I figured having the mastery forever would be the most beneficial since two out my three weapon choices are axes.

It's going well so far. I used the starter buckler and hand axe until level 10, when I was able to buy a broad axe from Gheed and equip it. That lasted me through all of Act I, when some champion ghoul that was hanging out with Andariel was kind enough to give me my first battle axe.

I'm still debating between the two weapon types. The battle axe looks cooler and is more likely to one-shot things, but the broad axe probably does more damage overall because of the faster speed.

Andariel herself gave me nothing useful:
Screenshot012.jpg

At the end of Act I, I had already completed my skill build for all of normal difficulty:
Screenshot016.jpg

Now I've started Act II. I picked up Fazel the prayer mercenary for now, but I might switch to a different one if I feel I need more attack or defense, since I don't really want to put much into dexterity.

So far, everything is smooth sailing on /players 8. Barbs have lots of life; I haven't really been in any danger yet. Although I do hide and let Fazel kill Death Beetles and the like... he has much better resists than Nikhil does.

Next stop will be everyone's favorite, the Maggot Lair.

Code:
   D2R Forum Name        Character Name       Class   Level  Skills         Location               Score
-- --- ----------        --------------       -----   -----  ------         --------               ----
SP Yes Grisu             Randomnipotent       Nec     86.3   33+14+34+58+83 Guardian 01/10/22       54
SP Yes skoolbus          Odin                 Bar     84     45+48+56       Guardian 02/27/22       54
   Yes Babyhell          BleedRunner          Pal     83.3   78+86+71       Guardian 10/27/21       45
   Yes Vang              Levia                Ama     82     69+9+90        Guardian 10/29/21       45
SP Yes Quackerz          Nero                 Dru     73     52+26+42       Lut Gholein H           39
SP Yes thefranklin       RandomWayToDie       Ass     59     40+74          NM Kurast Docks         24
SP Yes aitrus            RandomDeadNecro      Nec     42     21+75          NM Lut Gholein          21
   Yes D4di56lu3         MrDevaStation        Nec     48     32+67          NM Rogue Encampment     15
   Yes maxicek           Forley               Bar     29     42+18          Pandemonium Fortress     9
   No  ranagrande        Nikhil               Bar     24     19             Far Oasis                3
SP Yes Vang              Trashard             Pal     22     84+89          Halls of Dead 2          3
SP Yes jstani01          mystery              Bar     18     93             Inner Cloister           0
   Yes Jcakes            Athena               Ass     83+    44+29+51+90    H Ancients Way          42
   Yes Vildecor          Fernando             Pal     77     96+42+48+86    Deeds                   36
SP No  softlyfalling     Ansa                 Ass     75     39+12+14+58    Deeds                   36
   Yes D4di56lu3         Deva                 Ass     80     19+30+39+77    Deeds Hell Lut Gholein  33
SP Yes Babyhell          VangKenstein         Sor     72     66             Deeds NM Frozen Tundra  30
SP Yes Jcakes            SerafinaPekkala      Ama     60     5 + 50         Deeds                   24
   Yes Vang              Multiple             Multi   58     Many           Deeds                   21
   Yes corale            Meoh                 Dru     43     65             Deeds                   15
SP Yes Dazliare          Mulgram              Bar      ?     56             Act 5                   12
   Yes Dazliare          Priscilla            Sor     25     25+72          Deeds                   9
   Yes Miron             Hartwig              Bar     29     8+75           Deeds                   6
   Yes coju              RandyTom             Bar     25      5             Deeds                   3

Trashard has been taken out of the trash and has come to life and started to make progress for the first time in forever!

He has smashed Duriel after wandering for months in False Tombs until he stumbled upon the correct one. Had Trashard remembered that journal, he would have not been so confused.

Afterwards he got really sick on a boat and realized there is a reason why he likes to be cleansed by activating his cleansing aura to ward off any infection that he may get from the inhabitants and giant bugs in a jungle. He took no time getting through that muck infested place. He found these demonic old things that he had to defeat to be able to make some flail Deckard told him about and he went down and found these dolls that exploded in his face. Ugh. This place is called Durance of Hate for a reason. Ran over and smacked this demon Mephisto in the face for a bit until he succumbed while I warded off any sort of bad-juju since I was constantly cleansing while I swung my not really mighty Scepter.

Code:
   Yes Vang              Trashard             Pal     27     84+89          Pandemonium Fortress     9  
No  ranagrande        Nikhil               Bar     24     19             Far Oasis                3

Well, my Trashard got hosed by an evil urn. I didn't full clear the area and got surrounded and couldn't get out.

Screenshot256.png

I would like to try a sorceress if someone would kindly roll me one.

• Sad
Reactions: Zyr and D4di56lu3
RIP Trashard.

Good luck with your sorceress:

Skills:
21, 70, 16, 3, 32

21: Frozen Armor, Blizzard, Cold Mastery
70: Fire Bolt, Fire Wall, Thunder Storm
16: Ice Blast, Chilling Armor, Fire Bolt
80: Frost Nova, Fire Bolt, Thunder Storm
3: Meteor, Charged Bolt, Lightning
32: Meteor, Fire Mastery, Lightning Mastery