Vang

PurePremium
Staff member
Guide Author
Feb 23, 2006
Greetings everyone! Without further ado:

Welcome to Random Tournament 2020! .

Previous: 2013, 2012, 2010, 2009 and 2008

Key change from previous versions: Due to lower number of players playing and a change in life for many of us (Myself personally) Rerunning areas is allowed. This is optional and if you are doing Single-Pass if we get a bracket please put SP in front of your name as you get a lot more style points!

Rules:

1. 1.13/1.14 For this tournament
2. Hardcore only
3. Any player setting is allowed, please no cheese for popping chest.
4. No MP <---Unless party of an MP party at start.
5. Rerunning is allowed, you may also play as single-pass (Please use SP in front of name if we get a character bracket going)
6. You may not re-run a previous difficulty once you leave your current one.
7. You are allowed to go back to a previous difficulty to complete a quest(Imbue, Socket, etc)
8. Any merc allowed. They must use your Armor, Helm, Shield. Weapon is not included in this as it can unfairly balance mercenaries, but you are free to keep mercenary restriction to your rolls.
9. Starter equipment may be used.
10. Replays are allowed, and no maximum tries.
11. Some one else must roll you up.
12. You do not have to use any skill you get chosen if you choose not to(for instances you get increased stamina, you can elect not to place a point into it.)
13. Before you start Nightmare or Hell, you must get a re-roll on your 4 or 5 skills(You can elect to do this beginning in Act4/5 incase you want have a non-stop session, or other reasons such as limited internet)
14.Re-roll: You are allowed to get a tournament skill, weapon, and armor choice re-rolled once per character. Example: You get Sash chosen as belt, and choose re-roll, it can be anything, including a sash again. Sometimes fate decides for you. Must be done at beginning of character.
14. Atma/GoMule is allowed as an extended stash only
15. FAM is allowed
16. No save and exit when your about to bite the dust.

MP OPTION

1. Must declare party at time of start.
2. All party members must play together, catch-up is allowed if need be in a solo game to reach same area.
3. All other rules apply same as single player.

1. Mercenary MUST use your Armor, Helm and shield type.
2. Tournament Skills are allowed to be re-specialized as well in case that comes up when you go to the next act, so they aren't permanent in case you wanted to place points into one for Normal but not use it in nightmare.
3. Druids are allowed 1 point into Werebear and Werewolf to allow the use of abilities in the shape-shift tree(more if it is one of their skills of course.
4. Javelin as a weapon usable in Spear and Javelin tree, while Axe for Barbarian does not constitute the ability to use Axe Mastery(This is because you could effectively make a two tree class and be quite more powerful.
5. Amazon weapons can be only used, but its a harsh trade-off with the lack of weapons and inability to gamble.
8. CTC, Charges and passive skills granted from items are allowed. Activated class skills(Berserk, Firebolt, etc) and outside skills are not allowed.
9. Just to make sure everyone is on the same page, you can only use starter equipment and your chosen items. So if you can't fill a slot for a while it'll have to stay empty. (Like circlet for example can't gamble until 20)
10. It doesn't matter the # use assign to a tab as long as you are randomizing the stats. (Didn't think it needed to be said, but clarified)

End date: 3 months with no updates.

Scoring is simplified this year.

3 points per act (Non-completed acts are worth 1 upon death if you completed any quest/activated wp) total points possible: 45
If Solo-Pass add 3 points per difficulty completed (+9 possible)

Lowest Level Guardian Wins extreme bragging rights!

Tournament Specific Restrictions and Rules:

Website for Rolls:
http://www.random.org/integers/
Stat Points: Any work, no sense in limiting yourself in anyway, and upon a respec, you my replace them however.

Skill Points: You are given three skills that stick with you throughout time. These three are done on a Random 1-3 and then normal tree method so they truely are random as to what tree they show up in.

Your other 5 are randomly chosen with a 1-3 on a each tree as well. Once the split up is decided, you are given your skill set. Upon reaching NM your skills are once again rerolled and then again upon entering Hell.

At the beginning of Normal or Nightmare after your roll you may choose one skill to add to your forever list. This will affect the number of rolls in either Nightmare or Hell difficulty(You get to choose one, not one during each difficulty)

****Useless skills happen: Meaning something that provides zero benefit to the character(forever skills only count on the initial roll) Examples include: Spears being used with no Javelin with Javelin skills being rolled, Skeleton Mastery with no Skeletons or Revives, etc. IF you can NOT figure out if a skill will be useless or not, please ask!)

Equipment: To make it interesting I feel it should be changed a little to help out. Armor is now classified as Heavy, Light, or Medium. This allows a more diversified body Armor type, but keeps to the theme of Random. Though it is a 4, 5, 6 split every type is available by act 2.

Weapons: I'm going to allow 3 Weapons total, from 2 different types. This helps in the case of an Amazon, and allows for more types. In the case of an Assassin or Amazon choosing their class weapon, they are allowed to. Amazon character's can choose each subtype of her weapons as well if so chooses while Assassin characters can choose Two claws. This grants each of them four weapon choices due to the +1 from class specific.

RANDOM CHARACTER RULES: Unless specified to not include, an Amazon rolled gets: Bow, Javelin and possibly Spear depending on Class one. Necromancer gets a Wandx2 and other random, Sorceress gets Orbx2, Staff x2, Paladin gets Scepter(can possibly be x2 if it rolls to be the multi one) Assassin gets Claw x2, for Barbarians if a weapon mastery gets rolled as a skill it becomes one of the weapon types. The Third weapon mastery rolled, would be an auto re-roll since you can only have 2 weapon types, *Mace is mace class unless specified if Mace: roll for wand, scepter, mace, and staff)

An example would look like this:

Vang chooses Barbarian and I choose Sword x2(either one or twohanded) and Javelin.

My forever skills are chosen(Mind you I assign 1 to Combat, 2 Warcries, 3 mastery for Barbarian, you may assign 1,2,3 to whichever you prefer)

2-5, 2-2, 1-4, which equate to: Find Item, Find Potion, Stun.

Next five are: 1-5, 1-7, 2-1, 2-9, 3-1 which equate to: Sword Mastery, Double Throw, Concentrate, Howl, and Warcry. And these five will change each difficulty.

Heavy Armor
Leather Gloves
Skull Cap
Belt
Bone Shield
Leather Boots
Crystal Sword
Claymore
Pilum
Avenger Guard

For this roll, I love Warcry, so will choose to keep it as an added forever skill so that during Nightmare and Hell difficulties I only get 4 skill rolls this time.
You have the ability to reroll one of your Forever skills, Equipment, and Weapon type. Not any of the skills for each difficulty.

Roll Codes For items (For Armor, 1=Light, 2=Medium, 3=Heavy)
Code:
Helm #1-9      Armor #1-3              Shields #1-8        Gloves #1-5

Cap-1            Quilted Armor-L          Buckler-1           Leather Gloves-1
Skull Cap-2      Leather Armor-L          Small Shield-2      Heavy Gloves-2
Helm-3           Hard Leather Armor-L     Large Shield-3      Chain Gloves-3
Full Helm-4      Studded Leather-L        Kite Shield-4       Light Gauntlets-4
Great Helm-5     Ring Mail-M              Spiked Shield-5     Gauntlets-5
Mask-6           Scale Mail-H             Tower Shield-6
Crown-7          Breast Plate-L           Bone Shield-7
Bone Helm-8      Chain Mail-M             Gothic Shield-8
Cirlet-9         Splint Mail-M
                 Light Plate-L
                 Field Plate-M
                 Plate Mail-H
                 Gothic Plate-H
                 Full Plate Mai-H
                 Ancient Armor-M
Code:
Boots #1-5        Belt #1-5

Boots-1              Sash-1
Heavy Boots-2        Light Belt-2
Chain Boots-3        Belt-3
Light Plate Boots-4  Heavy Belt-4
Greaves-5            Plated belt-5
Code:
Class Specific- Item #Range

Paladin Shields #1-5    Barbarian Helms #1-5    Druid Pelts #1-5

Targe-1                 Jawbone cap-1        Wolf Head-1
Rondache-2              Fanged Helm-2        Hawk Helm-2
Heraldic shield-3       Horned Helm-3        Antlers-3
Aerin Shield-4          Assault Helmet-4     Falcon Mask-4
Crown Shield-5          Avenger Guard-5      Spirit Mask-5
Code:
Class Specific Continued

Necromancer Shrunken Head #1-5    Amazon Weapons #1-2/1-2/1*    Sorceress Orbs #1-5

Perserved Head-1         Stag Bow-1                       Eagle Orb-1
Zombie Head-2            Reflex Bow-2                     Sacred Globe-2
Unraveller Head-3        Maiden Spear-1                   Smoked Sphere-3
Gargoyle Head-4          Maiden Pike-2                    Clasped Orb-4
Demon Head-5             Maiden Javelin 1 or 3*           Jared Stone-5
Code:
 Katar/Weapons-Item# Range
Assassin Katar#1-7    Throwing#1-4

Katar-1                Throwing Knife-1
Wrist Blade-2          Balanced Knife-2
Hatchet Hands-3        Throwing Axe-3
Cetus-4                Balanced Axe-4
Claws-5
Blade Talons-6
Scissors Katar-7
Code:
Weapons- Item #Range

Swords #1-14    Axes #1-10       Bows #1-8          Scepters #1-3    

Sword Sword-1    Hand Axe-1      Short Bow-1            Scepter-1          
Scimitar-2       Axe-2           Hunters Bow-2          Grand Scepter-2
Sabre-3          Double Axe-3    Long Bow-3             War Scepter-3
Falchion-4       Military Pick-4 Composite Bow-4
Crystal Sword-5  War Axe-5       Short Battle Bow-5            
Broad Sword-6    Large Axe-6     Long Battle Bow-6
Long Sword-7     Broad Axe-7     Short War Bow-7
War Sword-8      Battle Axe-8    Long War Bow-8
2-H Sword-9      Great Axe-9
Claymore-10      Giant Axe-10
Giant Sword-11
Bastard Sword-12
Flamberge-13
Great Sword-14
Code:
Weapons-Item #Range
Maces #1-8    Polearms #1-6     Spears #1-5       Javelin #1-5

Club-1            Bardiche-1       Spear- 1            Javelin-1
Spiked Club-2     Voulge-2         Trident-2           Pilum-2
Mace-3            Scythe-3         Brandistock-3       Short Spear-3
Morning Star-4    Poleaxe-4        Spectrum-4          Glaive-4
Flail-5           Halberd-5        Pike-5              Throwing Spear-5
War Hammer-6      War Scythe-6
Maul-7
Great Maul-8
Code:
Weapons Contined Item #Range

Staff #1-5      Daggers #1-4    Wands #1-4         Crossbows #1-4

Short Staff-1      Dagger-1      Wand-1             Light Crossbow-1
Long Staff-2       Dirk-2        Yew Wand-2         Crossbow-2
Gnarled Staff-3    Kris-3        Bone Wand-3        Heavy Crossbow-3
Battle Staff-4     Blade-4       Grim Wand-4        Repeating Xbow-4
War Staff-5

Last edited:
Reactions: Fruit and Pb_pal
I'll get it started with a Sorceress: Weapons being Orb, Staff, and 1-handed Sword
Let me do the honors?

Vang's Sorceress:

Forever Skills:
3-6: Fire Wall
2-5: Lightning
2-3: Telekinesis ->3-4: Blaze
2-6 Chain Lightning (locked from normal skill rolls)

Normal Difficulty Skills:
2-4: Nova
3-1: Fire Bolt
1-4: Ice Blast
2-10: Lightning Mastery
(2-6: Chain Lightning - > locked as forever skill)

Armor:
Medium Body Armor
Bone Helm
Spiked Shield
Heavy Gloves
Heavy Boots
Light Belt

Weapons:
Eagle Orb
Long Staff
Short Sword - > Two-handed sword

Class-specific roll:
Jared Stone

I hope I did everything correctly!
@Vang: Any rerolls? Skill lock forever?

EDIT: Hold! You said one-handed sword, but I rolled 1-14 (1). Does that mean one can choose either one-handed, two-handed or both for swords/axes/Maces? Or do we have to roll on the complete list? If we can choose one-handed only, I have to do a reroll on 1-8 for you.

Meanwhile, if someone could roll me a random character (well, I'd like to choose my merc myself...:) ) Thanks in advance and thanks for hosting, @Vang!

Last edited:
Reactions: Fruit
No it looks like you get either one or two-handed per the roll code. (I'd have to look deep into it to see if I had a ruling earlier)

Let us reroll the Telekinesis and shortsword. (I'll see about lock afterwards)

Rolling you up Grisu!

Random Amazon Warrior!

Forever:
(3-10) Lightning Fury
(2-7) Decoy
(1-4) Multi-Arrow
(2-9) Valkyrie (locked from Normal)

Normal Skills

(3-2)Power Strike
(2-9) Valkyrie
(2-8) Evade
(2-5) Avoid
(2-6) Penetrate

Weapons (Including Class)
Maiden Pike Reflex Bow
Maiden Javelin
Throwing Spear
Long Battle Bow

Armor
Light Armor
Plated Belt
Heavy Boots
Chain Gloves
Helm
Small Shield

Rerolls?

Last edited:
No it looks like you get either one or two-handed per the roll code. (I'd have to look deep into it to see if I had a ruling earlier)

Let us reroll the Telekinesis and shortsword. (I'll see about lock afterwards)

Rolling you up Grisu!
Rerolled Telekinesis to Blaze and Short Sword to Two-handed Sword (I hope I understood you correctly there). No Armor Rerolls? (bone helm?)

No armor rerolls as I was happy with them. I'll lock Chain Lightning as a Forever Skill

That Amazon looks interesting! Reroll Maiden Pike, Fire Arrow and nothing else... 8 think I like the armor (possibility for Chance Guards, Moser's Blessed Circle, early gambling targets (heavy boots) and early socketing possibilities (not max socket number in normal, but that is OK).

I have never done this before, but I am interested. If I understand correctly, I may start by choosing a class and some weapon classes? How about Druid, 1-handed mace, crossbow, polearm.

(With those choices, does that mean thrown potion weapons are denied?)

@Grisu Reflex Bow and Decoy

@Swamigoon Throwing potions are allowed to be used.

Forever Skills
(3-1) Raven
(1-3) Artic Blast
(1-6) Twister
(1-8) Tornado - Moved to Forever from Normal skills

Normal Skills
(1-7) Volcano
(2-4) Maul (Just so you understand you are allowed a point in werebear to use maul)
(3-2) Poison Creeper
(3-3) Oak Sage

Armor
Heavy Armor
Crown
Bone Shield
Leather Gloves
Light Plated Boots
Plated Belt

Class Helm
Spirit Mask

Weapons:
Club
Poleaxe
Light Crossbow

Rerolls?

Last edited:
I have never done this before, but I am interested. If I understand correctly, I may start by choosing a class and some weapon classes? How about Druid, 1-handed mace, crossbow, polearm.

(With those choices, does that mean thrown potion weapons are denied?)
As far as I understood, you can't choose one-handed or two-handed - the roll is done on all possible maces/mauls.

Interesting question about the throwing potions - @Vang, what is the ruling on those?

@Vang: I won't lock any skill - although I might regret that (Valkyrie?) - open to suggestions on this before I start.

:oops:

I'll definitely start (and not finish) after I try to finish the RFL :D

@Grisu I'd lock Valkyrie personally on your rolls. At least allows you all the passives! (See above in the previous reply, but Throwing Potions are allowed)

@Vang, you're probably right - then lock Valkyrie! And just to make sure: Penetrate is a skill I may use in normal difficulty - that means I am allowed to place a point in Critical Strike (as a prereq) as soon as CS is available, right?

Entering

Pynache, the Amazon, level 1, Rogue Encampment

(the name was, of course, rolled with a random fantasy name generator)

@Grisu you can place a point in CS and ignore placing a point in Penetrate if you desire as well since it is a pre-req.

Shockingly, named after a lame lightning skills has achieved the awesome power level of 12! Lightning has been aquired and I am no longer subjected to hitting things with my long staff (2 fire damage charms!) and my starter level firebolt! Luckily my trusty sidekick, Mahala found a short bow with both lightning and poison damage and has been providing much needed killing power until now! I shall return later to vanquish a demon capable of making many weapons!

Last edited:
@Vang: Reading about your merc using a short bow: How exactly was the ruling on mercs and equipment again? If I have a certain bow rolled for my character, the Act I merc may only use that one, right (so only Long Battle Bow for my act I merc, no other bow).? My Act II merc may only use a throwing spear and no other weapon? my Act III and IV mercs may use any weapon though. Did I get this right?

@Vang: Reading about your merc using a short bow: How exactly was the ruling on mercs and equipment again? If I have a certain bow rolled for my character, the Act I merc may only use that one, right (so only Long Battle Bow for my act I merc, no other bow).? My Act II merc may only use a throwing spear and no other weapon? my Act III and IV mercs may use any weapon though. Did I get this right?
Yep!

Insert placeholder here to watch.

maybe it’s time to avenge Katarina and elly..... Don’t roll me yet as PoGo has taken most of my time.

Looks like you rolled a fun and quirky druid build for me, Vang! Thanks!

I would like to add Tornado to the forever skills list. Also, please reroll the crown. (It's not very likely, but I would like to get another chance to get to use pelts.)

So let me restate expectations, to make sure I understand how this goes from here: Except for the four "forever" skills, the rest of the skills are locked in throughout normal difficulty. After the reroll, the armor and weapons are locked in throughout the tournament. Is that correct?

Umm Yeah @Swamigoon I totally didn't roll your class helm, its a Spirit Mask.

Do you still want to reroll the helm. I updated the previous.

Correct to both your questions. Once you get close to going to NM, just shoutout for a re-roll of your 4 skills.

In that case, then let's keep the crown and the rest of the armor. My new entry is Cuckoo! (attached)

Attachments

• Cuckoo.png
    Cuckoo.png
    444.1 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: Grisu
Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High