Random Tournament 2020 Stay/Shelter-in-Place/Home Edition

Edit: Small update, Shockingly has gotten a bit stronger (21) and has now obtained the cube and staff. I found a decent double resist ring (10%) but will keep my single gold find and single magic find ones on for the moment.
Oh heck, what's another tourney failure :) Anyone want to roll me a random character up? :)
Flash Bang Sale on a Random Paladin

Forever Skills
(2-9) Fanaticism (2-8) Sanctuary
(1-5) Charge
(1-6) Vengeance
(3-7) Vigor -locked Normal

Normal
(2-6) Holy Freeze
(3-2) Resist Fire
(3-3) Defiance
(3-4) Resist Cold

Armor
Heavy Armor
Gothic Shield
Full Helm
Chain Gloves
Heavy Boots
Sash PLated Belt

Paladin Shield
Rondache

Weapons: (Dagger rolled for random non-scepter and it got x2)
Scepter
Kris
Blade=> Blade

Rerolls?

Last edited:
Edit: Small update, Shockingly has gotten a bit stronger (21) and has now obtained the cube and staff. I found a decent double resist ring (10%) but will keep my single gold find and single magic find ones on for the moment.

Flash Bang Sale on a Random Paladin

Forever Skills
(2-9) Fanaticism
(1-5) Charge
(1-6) Vengeance

Normal
(2-6) Holy Freeze
(3-2) Resist Fire
(3-3) Defiance
(3-4) Resist Cold
(3-7) Vigor

Armor
Heavy Armor
Gothic Shield
Full Helm
Chain Gloves
Heavy Boots
Sash

Paladin Shield
Rondache

Weapons: (Dagger rolled for random non-scepter and it got x2)
Scepter
Kris
Blade

Rerolls?

Awesome! Thanks @Vang, haven't tried a charger before so should be fun!

Rerolls please:
Skill - Fanatiscism
Equipment - sash
Weapon - blade

Also, want to lock in Vigor as my 4th forever skill.

Paladin, Turgruel, Level 1 - Rogue Encampment (random gen name)

Last edited:
@Grisu in addition to not being available at Charsi's, Scale Mail gets 2 sockets max ;)

I'm not sure I've ever looked for Scale Mail... not sure if you can shop it at Fara's (the shopping calculator I've used for years went offline earlier this year... anyone know of a good one that currently works?)

WoRG

@Grisu in addition to not being available at Charsi's, Scale Mail gets 2 sockets max ;)

I'm not sure I've ever looked for Scale Mail... not sure if you can shop it at Fara's (the shopping calculator I've used for years went offline earlier this year... anyone know of a good one that currently works?)

WoRG
Yeah, but Ring Mails can get 3 :p he was looking for Ring Mails, right? :whistle:

You can still find the shopping calculator with the wayback machine - it should work

Never really used one but you can shop Ring, Scale, Chain, Breast and Splint Mails from Fara. As far as I can tell all have a 50/50ish percent chance to spawn magic or normal/socketed.

Also, do we need a table? :rolleyes:

Yeah, might as well get a table going. Extra space on left side is for displaying 'SP' if playing Single Pass.

Code:
     Forum Name        Character Name       Class   Level  Last Waypoint          Points
     ----------------- -------------------- ------- ------ ---------------------- -------
SP   Vildecor          Daphydae             Ama     17     Black Marsh             0

I did not add anyone else that has updated, as I'm not 100% sure who is going straight single-pass.

Code:
     Forum Name        Character Name       Class   Level  Last Waypoint          Points
     ----------------- -------------------- ------- ------ ---------------------- -------
SP   Vildecor          Daphydae             Ama     17     Black Marsh             0
SP   b1ur              Lynn                 Ama     17     Outer Cloister          -
Adding myself to the table.

And just so it's not complete spam: Does anyone have any experiences with Poison Javelin? I'm considering putting 10-12 points to get me by until I get Strafe/LF. Is it at all useful?

Code:
SP   b1ur              Lynn                 Ama     17     Outer Cloister          -
     Vang              Shockingly           Sor     25     Kurast Docks            7

I thought it was a solid starter skill, especially in something like this with the ability to change points later, just sometimes a bit slow on the kills as the poison last a long time.

Shockingly managed to vanquish Duriel without too much hassle. Required a lot of going in and out of town to keep Alhizeer alive. Mana appears to be an issue due the barrage of lightning I am spewing out and I'm having to relearn how to not die. (D2 is not as forgiving on HC as other games in the genre) Have a few NDE mainly due to not seeing modifiers (like LE for example on a beetle) I must increase my situational awareness if I am going to survive!

Also please note: It appears I had Gothic Armor as M when it should have been heavy. If I am mistaken please let me know. It now is 4-H, 5-M, 6-L armors.

Last edited:
Adding self to table:
Code:
SP   CaseyJones        Turgruel             Pal     1      Rogue Encampment        0

Should set underway on this journey soon!

Code:
SP   CaseyJones        Turgruel             Pal     1      Rogue Encampment        0
SP   Grisu             Pynache              Ama     15     Black Marsh             1

Adding myself to the table (which, BTW, is darn hard to do on mobile!).

I only habe experience with Plague Javelin, but not Poison Javelin. Was quite the tedious gameplay at higher player settings with Plague Javelin, esp. in Hell. I don't know how much worse or better Poison Javelin is in comparison....

@Vang Arreat Summit, Amazon Basin Wiki, and D2wiki all agree...Gothic Plate is Medium, not Heavy armor.

WoRG

Just a quick question - Act II Mercenary in my case can wear any weapon I want him to since he can't wear any of the ones I have rolled, correct?

Code:
SP   b1ur              Lynn                 Ama     20     Lut Gholein             -
SP   Grisu             Pynache              Ama     15     Black Marsh             1
Act I done. I did overprepare a bit for the Andy fight. Ended up using ~10 prebuff stamina potions, 1 Light Healer and 4-5 Antidotes. The drop actually had 2 usable items but neither of them really any good. I am also just shy of level 21, I really taught I'd level up on Andy kill.

Anyway I decided to try out Poison Javelin to speed up the last portion of Act I as monsters gain quite a lot more health compared with everything up to Black Marsh and I don't really gain any damage. I put 12 points in it and it waaas... rubbish. Wendy's chipped emerald bow canceled out the poison as far as I can tell and the DPS was not really that good. 890 LCS damage sounds impressive but in reality it's 30dps. Which is poor. Still it did definitely speed up a few Dark One fights where there are a million of them running around and I kept Andy poisoned while I ran around the pond and shot at her with my wimpy bow.

Also, surprisingly, I have just managed to gamble gloves with top 11% MF (using rare ones with 9 MF) and no boots with MF. I did gamble a rare Circlet on the first shot just before Andy but it got mostly useless mods and rlvl24. All of this, coupled with the fact I can't get a socketed Scale Mail in A1 meant I had really poor MF throughout the Act. Only 2 S/U Arctic Furs and Belt. Which would have been a nice combo if I was able to use them. And Deathspade from Andy.

I am now going to take a back seat a have a nice cruise behind the mighty Vikhyat, a Combat desert warrior through Act II and probably III as well unless I gamble a nice bow with mana leech.

The drop highlights were these 2 perfectly rolled charms:
Code:
Small Charm of Life
Small Charm
Required Level: 14
Fingerprint: 0xac656cb
Item Level: 12
Version: Expansion 1.10+
+10 to Life

Small Charm of Life
Small Charm
Required Level: 14
Fingerprint: 0x78dc652c
Item Level: 10
Version: Expansion 1.10+
+10 to Life
They even got the same exact graphic!

Forever Skills:
Fend => Strafe
Pierce
Freezing Arrow
Lightning Fury (locked from Normal skills)

Normal Skills:
Multishot
Magic Arrow
Poison Javelin
Inner Sight

Weapons:
Short Bow => Long Battle Bow
Hunter's Bow
Stag Bow
Maiden Javelin

Armor:
Circlet
Heavy Armor => Heavy Armor
Spiked Shield
Heavy Gloves
Light Plated Boots
Heavy Belt

Lynn the PJ Disappointment Amazon and Vikhyat the Combat Desert Warrior, lvl20.95, Act II Lut Gholein WP

Reactions: Pb_pal
@DariusTriplet on it.

DariusTriplet's Paladin

Forever Skills:
Resist Fire => Defiance
Sanctuary
Holy Shock

Normal Skills:
Concentration
Resist Cold
Blessed Hammer
Meditation
Holy Freeze

Weapons:
Scepter
War Axe => Military Pick
Crystal Sword

Armor:
Bone Helm => Bone Helm
Medium Armor
Tower Shield
Chain Gloves
Boots
Plated Belt

Class-Specific:
Rondache

Rerolls? Hammerdin action in Normal? :D

Last edited:
Reactions: DariusTriplet
@b1ur Many thanks!

Rerolls:
(skill) Resist Fire
(weapon) War Axe
(armor) Bone Helm

Hammerdin or Holy Frost is appealing for Normal...although having access to no skills until clvl 18 is less appealing :D Just to double-check - pre-reqs get 1 point and cannot be used actively?

Fixed point totals. Partially completed acts are only worth 1 point upon death if I read first post right.

Code:
     Vang              Shockingly           Sor     25     Kurast Docks            6
SP   b1ur              Lynn                 Ama     20     Lut Gholein             3
SP   Vildecor          Daphydae             Ama     20     Lut Gholein             3
SP   Grisu             Pynache              Ama     15     Black Marsh             0

Forever Skills
Decoy
Fend
Lightning Strike

Normal Skills
Multishot
Inner Sight
Critical Strike
Power Strike
Poison Javelin

Armor
Light Armor
Full Helm => Great Helm
Gothic Shield
Chain Gloves
Chain Boots
Light Belt

Weapons
Maiden Javelin
Maiden Pike
Long Bow
Glaive => Pilum

Started out clearing with gemmed Long Bow (x2 once I got Fire rogue) with a few points in Multishot until I'd sunk enough points into Dex to start gambling Pilums. Put 5 points into Power Strike, which was mainly used to help kill boss packs. Once I hit level 17, I started gambling Chain Gloves and Chain Boots to try to get more than the 18% MF I had with my Studded Leather Armor. Didn't score any until level 20 with a 15% Chain Boots of Chance before the Andariel fight. My light belt is still just an 8% lightning resist belt, as the rares I managed to gamble/find didn't really add much worth dropping that for (especially with beetles coming up).

I managed to find 1 S/U this Act: Pelta Lunata. Catacombs level 4 was dropped to p1 as it was time to get my drink on and switch characters. Fire rogue was dumped for Prayer merc, who I gambled a Deadly Pilum of Blight for. Not looking forward to having no access to Insight. :cry: Also bought a 3os Breast Plate to drop 3 chipped topazes into. Will buy a replacement when I get the cube and upgrade the other topazes. Saw my first Great Helm in the gambling screen while getting a merc weapon, but it was a bit too expensive and I still lack 13 strength to equip yet.

I've started saving skill points after the 5 into Power Strike. I plan on Fending through Normal, with maybe a 10 point or so Power Strike for Act Bosses/single target enemies. I probably won't bother with Lightning Strike until NM (unless I get a better skill then!) as I don't see think the damage will be quite there yet for it. I have got the prereqs spent for it just in case, along with 1 in Critical Strike (I may drop a few more here) and the prereqs for Decoy (which will definitely have 1+ points in it later on).

I'm definitely looking forward to being able to gamble a Gothic Shield, and even more looking forward to hopefully seeing a socketed one drop a few Acts down the road. I'm too used to being able to just drop diamonds into a shield to take care of a good chunk of resists.

1588154979963.png
1588154993549.png

Fiend Barb Pilum (13% ED, adds 2-1 damage, extra dmg/ar vs demons, 7 LR, replenish)
Buckler
Gemmed Breastplate (3x chipped topaz)
Stone Claw Chain Gloves (14 AR, 40% ED, 2 dex, 20 FR, half freeze, self-repair)
Tangerine Light Belt (8 LR)
Chain Boots of Chance (15% MF)
Corruption Beads Amulet (10% FCR, 13 AR, 5 mana, 6 PR, 37% GF)
Tangerine Ring (10% LR)
Crimson Ring of Warding (7 FR, 1 MDR)
Switch: Gemmed Long Bow (chipped emerald/ruby/sapphire)

Last edited:
Reactions: Pb_pal
Not looking forward to having no access to Insight. :cry:

Just a comment/suggestion here for @Vang. Shouldn't we roll a weapon type for each of the 4 merc types too. They are stuck to wearing our armor already and currently our weapon if it applies to the merc, yet seem un-restricted on weapon if our own weapon rolls do not apply which seems greatly imbalanced for some participants. Shouldn't we roll a bow for the rogue, a spear/polearm for desert merc, one hand sword+shield for iron wolf, and sword+barb helm for barbarian merc?

I just feel it would make things more even across the characters. Any thoughts on this everyone?

Journey update:
Turgruel has cleared his way through Dark Wood and rescued Cain. Then ran to Black Marsh WP. Level 15 now. Will pick up with clearing Marsh at next play session. I will post full updates at the end of each act and update the table :)

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High