PvP Poisonmancer

Mad Mantis

Jun 24, 2003
PvP Poisonmancer

[highlight]This guide was originally written by hks489. Unfortunately the original thread was lost. To make matters worse hks489 also lost the copy on his hard drive. Luckily for us Evil Monkey managed to find a copy of the guide being posted on another website.[/highlight]

PvP Poison Necromancer v1.0

I’ve been visiting this site for awhile but I haven’t seen a poison necro pvp guide so…. here it is! This is mainly a guide for pub duelling, since most people aren’t involved in clans or that honour thing so in my guide, everything goes, although I did put in a part for honour duelling.

To start off, here’s some personal info, I go by the login of “poison4899â€, my screen name is “Japgirlmacker†maybe some of you have seen me around the pub duels. My first character was a 90 bone necro. Although it did well, there were too many around and I wanted to make a necro that’s less used, thus a poison necro. This is my first time writing a guide so excuse my format mistakes or whatever… The format for this guide is stolen from “Thekbob†from his Commando guide. Hope you don’t mind!! Credit given where credit’s due.

Green is good.

TABLE OF CONTENTS

I. Skill point allocation.
II. Stat point allocation.
III. Da Gear.
IV. PvP Strategies.
V. Advanced PvP Strategies.
VI. My Poison Necro.
VII. Disclaimer/Credits.

I. SKILL POINT ALLOCATION

Note: These are all my opinions on how things should be done. You can vary to suit your own needs, whatever they are.

Poison & Bone Skills:
20 Poison Dagger
20 Poison Explosion
20 Poison Nova
20 Bone Wall
1 Bone Armor
1 Teeth
1-20 Bone Prison*

Curses:
1 Amplify Damage
1 Weaken
1 Iron Maiden
1 Terror
1 Life Tap
1 Decrepify
1 Lower Resist

Summoning:
1 Clay Golem
1 Blood Golem
1 Iron Golem
1 Fire Golem

Extras**:
1 Corpse Explosion
1 Dim Vision
1 Bone Spear
1 Bone Spirit

* Skill points in Bone Prison depends on whether your duelling honour or not. If you are, then you should put all you can spare into Bone Prison so it adds synergy bonus to Bone Armor. If your duelling in pub, then no points in it since you’ll want to use the Marrowwalk bug. (Wearing Marrowwalk with no points in Bone Armor gives u +33 to Bone Prison Synergies. This has been talked about enough so I won’t explain further)

** For the Extras, Corpse Explosion and Dim Vision is for use when doing Baal Runs, or PvM. It’s a personal choice. You can either decide to help out in runs, or just leech xp like a mofo. Bone Spear and Spirit is for diversifying your necro, though I would only recommend it if your using Marrowwalk bug.

For Pub Duelling, you should be complete when your lvl 81. For Honour Duelling, you’re never really finished as you can continue to put points Bone Prison/Armor until you’re 99

II. STAT POINTS ALLOCATION

Strength: Enough to wear equipment. You should aim for 60-70 as base in order to use basic equipment. Other items can give you addition so not too much here.

Dexterity: Enough to give you maximum block, or 75%.

Vitality: As with all other builds, all you can spare.

Energy: This is very debatable for it depends on the items you’re able to get. If you’re rich, then you can afford numerous +mana items or charms, so you don’t need any points here. If you’re poor, then put a few points in to make sure you get enough to use without chugging a mana potion every 5 seconds.

III. THE GEAR

I’ll list the best option plus a few alternatives for regular people who can’t afford godly stuff.

WEAPON:

1) Death’s Web: No contest here, this is best pwnage wand a poison necro can use. A lot of + skills to Poison & Bone skills, and the crazy negative resistance to poison. (Very, very expensive)

2) Heart of the Oak: +3 to all skills, resist, fast cast, can’t really ask for better… except Death’s Web =). (Very expensive)

3) Blackbog’s Sharp: +4 to Poison Nova and Explosion, and +5 to Poison Dagger. Other stats useless unless you plan to stab someone… which is something this build is not good at. ( Damn cheap)

4) Blackhand’s Key: The staple of all mid-level necros. +2 to necro skills, fast cast, it’s still a good wand to use if u can’t get anything else. ( Somewhat cheap)

SHIELD:

1) Homunculus: In my opinion, the best necro shield you can use for PvP. +2 necro skills, all resist, mana regen, and the insane block rate. Really, can’t get better than that. ( Medium cheap)

2) Darkforce Spawn: This shield is also quite good, but it’s more for fight against casters because of the low block rate. What really stands out about this shield is the fast cast. You’ll need to get a +3 to Poison and Bone, the rest aren’t much use. ( Very expensive)

3) Lidless Wall: Good overall shield for any caster, with +1 to skill, fast cast, and increase mana 10%. ( Medium)

4) Stormshield: I listed this mainly for the damage reduction it gives and the cool block rate, though the strength req might be too much for most people. ( Expensive)

5) Whistan’s Guard: Nothing special except for it’s crazy block rate. (Very Cheap)

HELM:

1) Rare Circlet: One that gives +2 necro skill, 20% fast cast, all resist. These circlets are godly. (Crazy expensive)

2) Harlequins Crest, aka Shako: Good for any build, +2 to skills, 10% damage reduced, and a ****load of health and mana, though it looks crappy on your dude. ( Expensive)

3) Peasant Crown: a cheap alternative to shako. It’s not bad if you can’t get the stuff mentioned above. ( Cheap)

4) Crown of Ages: I suggest this because this is a godly helm. +1 to skills, all resist, fast hit recovery, and socketed!!! But the thing is… the strength req for this is quite beyond reach for most necros. ( Very expensive)

ARMOR:

1) Enigma: Hands down, the best armor there is. +2 to skills, damage reduced, + life, and + insane strength. Use this, and the strength problem you always had will be a thing of the past…. Not to mention the teleport… ( Very Expensive)

2) Bramble: Nice fast hit recovery, increase to mana, mana regen, nice resists, and the crazy +25%-50% poison damage!!!!! (Very Expensive)

3) Skin of Vipermagi: +1 to all skill, 30% fast cast, all resist. Nice armor to use if you can’t afford the above. (Affordable)

4) Que-hagen’s Wisdom: +1 to skills, 20% fast cast, 20% hit recovery. Good armor overall except for the lack of resistance. ( Affordable)

GLOVES:

1) Trang-Ouls Claws: 20% fast cast, nice cold res, +2 to curses. What really stands out is the 25% to poison damage!!!!!! ( Affordable)

2) Magefists: 20% fast cast, nice mana regen, really good caster gloves. (Cheap)

3) Frostburns: Only useful thing on this is the huge boost to mana. (Cheap)

BOOTS:

1) Marrowwalks: This is THE boot to use if you’re planning on pub duelling. The extra synergies this thing gives out are quite good. The mods on the boots aren’t that shabby either. Meeting the strength req might be a hassle though. ( Medium)

2) Sandstorm Trek: What you really want from this boot is the fast hit recovery. The + strength and vitality is also nice. ( Medium)

3) Tearhaunch: Nothing special about these boots except for the +10 all res (Very Cheap)

4) Natalya’s Boots: 40% fast run/walk and nice resists. ( Somewhat cheap)

BELTS:

1) Arachnid Mesh: Godly belt this is. +1 to skills, 20% fast cast, increase to mana. Enough said. (Expensive)

2) Gloom’s Trap: Increase to mana, mana regen, + vitality. Good overall belt. (Medium)

3) Trang-Oul’s Girth: Can’t be frozen, nice + to mana and life. Especially useful if paired with Trang’s gloves. Gives nice cold res and mana regen. (Somewhat expensive)

AMULETS:

1) Crafted Amulets: What your looking for is a +2 nec skill, 10% fast cast, all res. (Hard to make, Very expensive to trade)

2) Mara’s Kaleidoscope: +2 skills, + 5 to attributes, all res. Damn good this is. (Very Expensive)

3) Nice Magical Amulet: What you need is a +3 to Poison and Bone skill. If it has other useful mods, even better. (Somewhat expensive, depends on the 2nd mod)

4) Not as nice Magical Amulet: +1 to nec skill with 2nd mod. Use this if you can’t afford anything. (Damn cheap)

RINGS:

1) Rare ring: 10% fast cast, all resist, +life and/or mana. (Expensive)

2) Stone of Jordan: +1 to skill, increases to mana, enuf said. (Very Expensive)

3) Bul-Katho’s Ring: The alternative to SOJ if you need life instead of mana (Very Expensive)

4) Manald Heal: Just for the mana regen. ( Very Inexpensive, they’re everywhere)

CHARMS:

As many Poison and Bone skill charms you can get. 10 is maximum. You’ll also need all resist small charms and fast hit recovery ones. As always, look for ones with +life 2nd mod.

And of course, the Annihilus.

Best Set-up (IMO):
Helm: Rare +2 Nec skill, 20% fcr, All res, Circlet.
Weapon: Death’s Web. 2/2/45+ works best.
Armor: Enigma.
Gloves: Trang’s Gloves.
Boots: Marrowwalks.
Belt: Arachnid Mesh.
Shield: Homunculus.
Amulet: +2 Nec skill, 10% fcr, All res, Crafted ammy or Mara’s Kaleidoscope.
1st Ring: Rare 10% fcr, All res, +life/mana ring.
2nd Ring: Stone of Jordan or Ravenfrost.

Average Player’s Setup:
Helm: Shako.
Weapon: Blackhand Key or Blackbog’s Sharp.
Armor: Skin of Vipermagi.
Gloves: Trang’s Gloves or Magefist.
Boots: Tearhaunch or Silkweave.
Belt: Gloom’s Trap.
Shield: Homunculus or Lidless Wall.
Amulet: Eye of Elitch.
1st Ring: Rare or Magical 10% fcr ring.
2nd Ring: Ravenfrost.

Poor Man’s Setup:
I don’t suggest you make a poison necro if you can not afford the items mentioned in the average player’s section. Although it is viable to have cheaper equipment for PvM, you’ll get slaughtered in PvP.

IV. PvP STRATEGIES

General: Poison nova is your main attack weapon. However, poison nova only brings people down to 1 health. To finish them off, what u need is to cast another nova, teeth/spear/spirit them, or use the fire golem, (the golem has a holy fire aura). What you do generally to all opponents is :
  1. Lower Resist them.
  2. Poison Nova them.
  3. Finish that last health point.*( more on this in advanced section)
One important note is that the weakest resistance for most people is usually poison. Usually with just one good nova is enough to bring most of them down to 1 health almost instantaneously. Keyword being most.

PUB DUELING:

Here are various strategies versus other character classes with a little sub section regarding honour duelling at the end.

It is essential you get enigma for pub duelling. Without teleport, you’re as good as dead. o_O

Barbarians:

WW Barbs: The only WW barbs what are of concern to you are the ones that use BOTD weapons. In general, with your max block and Marrowwalk boosted Bone Armor, you can tank them. Just stand there and spam nova. BOTD users are a bit more dangerous due to the damage they inflict. But all you have to do is move around and spam nova, not much work needed.

Frenzy Barbs: Same as above. Just lower resist them and spam your nova.

Berzerk Barbs: A bit more dangerous due to the fact that berzerk does insane magic damage that’s unblockable. Just stay out of range and spam nova.

Singing Barbs: These guys are annoying, they don’t really hurt you much but they keep you stunned. Make sure you have enough fast hit recovery and spam nova =)

Throwing Barbs: Complete joke. Enough said.

Assassins:

Martial Art Chaos WW: These can only really hurt you if you have weak bone armor and low block. Otherwise, you can tank them easily.

Martial Art Kickers: Like above, but easier.

Trapsins: Man are these dudes annoying and deadly. Make sure you keep out of trap range and lure them to you. Unless you stack lighting resist ( around 250 is enough in hell) and have decent fast hit recovery, you’re toast.

Hybrids: These assassins do both martial and traps. Not as difficulty as it sounds since melee doesn’t really hurt you and their traps are a lot weaker than pure trapsins.

Druids:

Werewolf/WereBear: Lower Resist, Nova, Win.

Rabies: This is like a fight to see who hits who first. Although your nova is range and rabies is melee. Rabies can kill yet nova only brings them down to one. But advantage is still yours since your ranged.

Wind Druids: Make sure to stay out of hurricane range. Your nova has further reach. If a druid teleports next to you, get away. Bone armor can absorb massive damage, but tornado is insane massive damage. You wont be able to take many.

Paladins:

Zeal: Same as barb strategy, although most pallys have better resists than barbs. Just make sure to keep teleporting around and spamming nova.

Chargdins: These guys can hurt. Make sure you have max block. Fast hit recovery is extremely important here. When the pally is charging you, make a bone wall to intercept it and spam nova. Repeat if necessary. Usually, I will take more than 1 hit to bring you down, so you might be able to tank them if you have enough fast hit recovery, but fear the BOTD war pike chargdins.

Fist of Heaven: OMG these mofos are dangerous. Very dangerous. You will need to stack a lot of lightning resist to survive their hits. Make sure you stay out of range and summon your golem to take a few FoH hits. Use nova, then run backwards, to lure the pally into your nova. Never chase them unless you can survive their hits. Try to fight in a area crowed with monsters so the FoH will be hitting them instead. To tank these guys get at least 325 stacked lightning resist.

Hammedins: Hammers hurt. So still out of the range of it. The overall radius of the hammers are less than your nova but hammers tend to linger around and can become invisible. Never chase a hammerdin, unless you want to die. Stay on the edge of his screen and use nova.

Vindi/Templars: Dangerous mofos. Their FoH can still hurt, while their smite will also hurt. Make sure you stay far away and lure them into your nova.

Amazons:

Bowazons: Unless they are wearing completely godly items such as 160/60 armor plus crazy ias on other stuff, you shouldn’t have problems. Since they have to stand still to shoot, tele beside them and nova them.

Javazons: Lighting resist is a must. Without resist, they will own you. With resist, you will own them

Sorceress:

Cold: Frozen Orb- there range is slightly greater than your nova so make sure you get out of the way of the orb. Circle around the sorc while casting nova. They will get hit eventually. Get a lot of cold resist and slap on 2 Ravenfrosts.

Blizzard: This one hurts. Make them chase you while you continually cast nova. This is going to be primary a cat and mouse game. Get A LOT of cold resist, 2 Ravenfrosts, and a Blackoak Shield if you want to survive continual hits.

Fire: Fireball does massive damage, has long range, and can be shot like a machine-gun. For this sorc, you have to go straight at her, walking zig-zags, or teleport right behind her and nova. Make sure you don’t get hit at close-range because it can stun you. Use 2 Dwarfstars + Rising Sun to negate them.

Lighting: Although lightning does a lot of damage, it has a low minimum damage and slow casting rate. If you are able to survive a hit, then most likely, you’ll win. Use Thundergod’s Vigor, and 2 Wisp Projectors to completely tank them.

Necromancers: (ahh here comes the fun part)

Bone Necros: Your nemesis. The main disadvantage of the poison necro is the lack of a real range attack. The Bone necro is all range attacks. It is extremely hard to get in close and cast your nova when there are 5-6 bone spirits trailing you. Making it harder still is that they are casting spear and teeth while the spirit is chasing you, thus keeping you on the run, unable to stop and cast. More on this in advanced section.

Commando Necros: If your poison nova damage is decent, you can wipe out his army and him in no time. Skellies can’t really hurt you. They’re more of an annoyance.

Poison Necros: wooo.. same build fights are always interesting. More on this in advanced section.

HONOUR DUELING:

Note: Enigma can still be used to my knowledge, just not the teleport skill. Bramble is a viable option, though some people might complain about the thorns aura. (Seriously…. It’s thorns. You die to this, maybe you should reconsider your build?). Also, the Marrowwalk bug will not be allowed so, use either a Sandstorm for the fhr or Silkweaves for the mana. Up to you. The general rules apply here also. Special consideration must be given the Bone Prison. Some games allow it, some games don’t. Important thing is, don’t get stuck in one… >_<

V. ADVANCED PvP STRATEGIES

Despite what other people claim, there are skills needed to use a poison necro effectively. Not just spam spam spam… though that works sometimes too. =)

Important notes:

1) Most people are familiar with Bone necros in dueling. We, poison necros are a rare breed, (hope this guide changes that). What this means is that we have the element of surprise on our side since most are unfamiliar with our skills or tactics. Most melee characters tend to run straight at you, thinking you’re easy picking only to end up lying dead in Blood Moor saying “ OMFG!1! what the $#@$ just happened1! OMG OMG OMGâ€.

2) With Marrowwalk boosted bone armor + max block, you are the tank.

3) Lower resist everything.

4) Teleport is your main skill. Nova is not really a real ranged attack so you must use teleport to do what I call a “surprise drive-byâ€. What you do is, you meander around your opponent looking for a opening. Once you see an opportunity, you teleport in a straight line, not at him, but to the sides of him. Cast nova, and continue teleporting in the same direction. THIS WILL BE YOUR MAIN STYLE OF ATTACK.

5) Teeth is your secret weapon. Although you do not have the synergies to make this dangerous, teeth is damn annoying. It stuns them momentarily for each teeth hit. With Marrowwalk bug and bone wall/armor synergies, this thing actually does decent damage within the range of 150-250. Use this to keep them away from you. What really shines about this is it’s radius.

6) When chasing someone, keep teleing until you tele in front of them and then nova, so they’ll walk into it.

7) Get a Call to Arms.

Melee Opponents: These are the easiest to kill. Unless they are using BOTD stuff or anything with crazy damage, you can just still there unmoving spamming nova. With BOTD/high damage weapon users, move around. Don’t get used to being lazy. They can surprise you sometimes. After all, it’s 75% block, not 100%. (Overall, these are easy pickings for you.)

Trapsins: Without stacked lightning resist, you don’t really stand much of a chance. Make them come to you and your nova. Circle around her traps and be casting nova the whole time. One will hit eventually. If you get mindblasted, run away in opposite direction of the trapsin. Assassins with duel claws and weapon block can actually block your nova, so cast 2-3 novas for every 1 that you would normally cast to make sure they turn green. (Hard to kill one, yet satisfying when you do.)

Wind Druids: Can not be frozen is a must. They will teleport on top of you and spam tornado. Since they have to be close to you in order to use their hurricane and tornado, it means they also have to get close to your nova. (Not really a hard duel, unless you make stupid mistakes.)

FoHers: Without insane stacked lightning resist, don’t even bother fighting these. You don’t stand much of a chance. However, if you must fight one, there are possible ways to win. Keep summoning clay golem to take the FoH for you. When it dies, make another one. FoH has a casting delay, so you should be able to judge when the pally’s gonna use it. When he uses it, you must stand still. FoH is blockable! But running will reduce your block to 33% and you’ll need the full 75%. If you survive the FoH, jump in, nova, jump out. Easier said than done. (Really really hard duel.)

Hammerdins: NEVER NEVER EVER follow them for the obvious reasons. Do not let them get under you(south), because BH comes up north. The place right above the pally is the only sure spot that a hammer will be there so they will try to get you there. If you are chasing them, run/teleport parallel to them inching closer and closer until he gets to nova range. Since the range of BH and Nova is about the same, it might be risky to sneak along the edges. That’s when you teeth the hell out of the mofo. Doesn’t really hurt them that much but it’s seriously doubtful they will remain standing there for a long time. (Challenging, but most duels between hammerdins and p necros are boring.)

Vindi/Templars: Smite is dangerous. But if your fcr and fhr is good enough, you should be able to tank them. Remember, bone armor pwns all melee. If they use FoH, run away and let them come to you. Their FoH is not as strong as pure FoHer’s so you should be able to a few hits of them.(It’s either going to real easy, or real hard.)

Amazons: This includes both Javazons and Bowazons or the hybrid. All you really need is a T-God. The melee damage they do will barely tickle your bone armor. However, if the bowazon somehow is able to get one of those godly 160/60 armors along with other IAS items, it may be more difficult, but not much. Important note is that, amazons can dodge your Nova, so spam a few more than you usually do to ensure they get poisoned.(Easy kills, but you’ll have to work for it.)

Orb Sorc: You guys are going to be tele-circling each other like non-stop. It’s a pretty even fight, for the speed of the nova and orb is about equal. However, the advantage is still on your side. There are such a thing known as cold absorb. There’s no such thing as poison absorb. (Very fun to fight against, most of the time, you’ll come out on top)

Blizz Sorc: Nova, tele away, repeat. Hope that they get hit when they chase you. However, if it’s a weak Blizz, just hunt them down.(Quite hard to fight against because you are forced to be defensive.)

F-Ball Sorc: Fire Absorb is a must. As long as you can take 3-4 fballs, you should win. If the sorc is spamming fballs at you from screens away, summon a fire golem right in between and use the golem as a shield and walk behind it. Most sorcs are stupid and start fballing the golem. Quite amusing sometimes.

Lightning Sorc: As with all sorcs, stack those resists! Lightning is a lot harder to spam and it’s slow. Most sorcs will tele on your screen and lightning you. Make sure you survive the hit. If you do, they’re dead.

Poison Necros: This is where the skill matters. You have to time your teleports so that when they nova you, you teleport over it, and land beside them to return the favour. Cast a nova then back off, right after that, rush in with a drive-by. Teeth is your friend here, keeps them away. If they teeth you, bone wall it.

Bone Necros: These are your biggest challenges. With the build I suggested, you can tank melee and resist elemental, but magic damage?? There are 2 types of Bone necros. One are the stupid ones. The other are the smart ones.(haha, guess you could say that for all classes.)
Stupid ones will use spirit and depend on it’s homing ability. They tend to get so focused spamming spirits that they forget to move, thus setting himself up for a drive-by. Spear, for some reason, does not seem as effective on a poison necro. Someone confirm this weirdness. What makes the smart necros, smart, is the usage of teeth. You will have a slim chance to beat teeth using bone necros. Since teeth stuns, you can not do the drive-by, So you must depend on circling the boner to look for an opening. Try doing that with spirits and spears and teethes flying all over the place, cause like you, they can tele too. Also, unlike your own teeth which is there to keep people back, Bone necro’s teeth actually hurts. (THE fight of your life)

And now the section everyone’s been waiting for…..

How to finish off that last health point!!!:

1) Another nova will finish the job. This will be most used for melee characters who are stubborn and continue fighting with their one health.

2) Teeth is weak, but it’s one friggin health point. This is extremely useful because of teeth’s wide radius and RANGE. Most people think teeth has short range, but on the contrary, it goes quite far. Just because the teeth gets skinnier and turns into a flying white dot doesn’t mean it’s not there.

3) Fire Golem: This is my favourite. The holy fire aura on this baby will get the most elusive opponents. The damage is only 20-30 maybe, but like I said, it’s one friggin health point to get rid of. This surprises people to most, plus it’s quite humiliating.

4) Bone Spear/Spirit will work also for those who want to diversify though teeth outshines them both.

5) Most duels take place in Act 1, Blood Moor. There’s a very interesting monster in the area, known as a quill rat. Lure them to fight in an area with a few of these buggers. Possibly to most hilarious pk you’ve ever done. I spilled my coke all over my keyboard the first time I did this to someone.

6) Now, for those really really stubborn melee characters, I beat that last hit point out of them with my wand.

VI. MY POISON NECRO

This is just my set-up. Use this as a guide if you are interested in creating a poison necro. This is just for you to use as a template, by all means, vary as much as you want.

Level: 89

Base Strength: 59
Total Strength: 159

Base Dexterity: 166
Total Dexterity: 201

Base Vitality: 191
Total Vitality: 209

Base Energy: 109
Total Energy: 151

Items:
Helm: Rare Tiara, +2 Nec skill, 20% fcr, 27 all res, 7 to min dmg, dmg reduced by 3, socketed with UM.
Weapon: 2/2/49 Death’s Web socketed with a 5/5 die Psn Facet for a total of 2/2/54
Armor: Mage Plate Enigma.
Shield: Homunculus socketed with UM for melee opponents. 2/3/2 Darkforce Spawn with UM for casters.
Gloves: Trang’s Gloves.
Boots: Marrowwalk.
Belt: Arach Mesh.
Amulet: 23 Maras.
Ring one: SOJ or Ravenfrost.
Ring two: Rare ring, 10% fcr, 20% cold resist, 31 to mana.
Charms: 7 P&B GCs, **** load of all res, vita, and fhr sc’s, and the anni.

VII. DISCLAIMER

Everything mentioned above is from my own personal OPINION. If there are FACTS I misrepresented, I welcome your correction.
Also, everything above came out of my own head. If you feel that in anyway I copied you, and are bitter and broken about it, I’ll give you credit for whatever it was that I so called copied.

Thanks to:
TheKbob for the guide format.
Diabloii.net for all the useful info they’ve provided.
Arreat Summit for item stats.

Sweet! I can finally build one. Just in time cause I just acquired my 2/-48 Dweb yesterday :D

Good job MM.

Got to read through the guide.

1) You may consider editting the marrowwalk part out from the boots since the bug doesn't work anymore. :(

2) and also 9 PnB + Hell torch.

3) he under estimates the power of Ww barbs.

he under estimates the power of Ww barbs.
Nawww =)

What he DOES understimate is kicksins. WoF and Mindblast will crash any poison necros plans. I think it's best just to not make a poison necro...Getting close to anyone with a necro's life and defense is almost insane :\

nickedoff said:
Nawww =)

What he DOES understimate is kicksins. WoF and Mindblast will crash any poison necros plans. I think it's best just to not make a poison necro...Getting close to anyone with a necro's life and defense is almost insane :\

Good BvC shouldnt be losing to psn necros. Most of them dont have block. Short ranged attack compared to other casters. High cast delay. Most of them won't even have 125%fcr for tele.

RetroStar said:
Good BvC shouldnt be losing to psn necros. Most of them dont have block. Short ranged attack compared to other casters. High cast delay. Most of them won't even have 125%fcr for tele.

A good poison necro has max block. Hks489 suggests it in his guides as well.

You don't need 125% fcr against a barb, as far as outteleing them only a singer will have you beat with the typical psn 75%, and for getting out of a DoD you should probably walk away from the direction they are currently WWing instead of teleporting immediately anyways. Pnova has a higher range than blessed hammer/tornado. Good BvC are a problem for any caster, but poison necros have the option of bone armor AND max block.

You also don't have to stick around to deal damage to the barbs like bone necs have to, you can hit them once, then stay out of range while leaving "traps" (be it another poison nova or a low damage bone spell) while the poison widdles them away.

nickedoff said:
What he DOES understimate is kicksins. WoF and Mindblast will crash any poison necros plans. I think it's best just to not make a poison necro...

A good poison necro won't get caught in WoF, and WoF + MB will crash anything that doesn't WW or charges plan. I do agree that he underestimates kickers though, they are a powerful build and against many casters I think their more fun + more effective than wwsins.

nickedoff said:
Getting close to anyone with a necro's life and defense is almost insane :\

You do realize that poison nova sticks around for awhile (it may not seem like a long time, but in the 1.10/1.11 high paced dueling environment it is). I've won countless duels by strategic "laying" of novas while teleing nearby.

The only duel that it's hard to get close to someone is trappers, and now that hybridding is ineffective with the removal of the marrowbug spamming of 2k spirits doesn't flush out the defensive ones anymore. Bonewall and/or golem placement to distract traps for a precious second or two should be taken into consideration.

I think the harshest critisism I'd give this guide is that he doesn't mention that poison length reduction is reduced by 100% in hell, and that -res in gear lowers poison length reduction, so unless they get someodd 225% poison length reduction they won't be reducing your poison length by 75%.

He does also have a "give up" strategy against FoH. He should throw in a note about how bonewall ruins their "auto-target" and that dogfighting between their cast delay is while their fohs hit fodder works wonders.

This looks like the pnova/bone pvp guide...except with the bone parts edited out.

Not a bad guide, all guides need touchups {like finding a real throwbarb for him to duel}, but just pointing out that this "lost" thread was just sitting in the pnova / bone pvp guide with extra tid bits tacked on...

I said most Psn necro don't have max block.
Poison necro needs to get atleast onto the screen of Barb to get a hit. When this happens, a barb can simply leap and knockback for a easy whirl.

I'm not saying poison necro sucks vs. barbs. Just pointing out it's not that easy as spam the pnova and not much work needed as suggested in the guide.

Most good psn necs should have block. However, parts of this guide is outdated:/. and posion necs can be easily negated.

RetroStar said:
1) You may consider editting the marrowwalk part out from the boots since the bug doesn't work anymore. :(

2) and also 9 PnB + Hell torch.

Not a bad idea. I just might do that.

MrGoth said:
This looks like the pnova/bone pvp guide...except with the bone parts edited out.

We knew, but we didn't know exactly what we had to edit out of the other guide.

skilledlord said:
However, parts of this guide is outdated:/. and posion necs can be easily negated.

Indeed since this guide was written rather early in patch 1.10 and with the fixing of the Marrowwalk bug and the continuing evolution of dueling and those builds I would be surprised if it wasn't a bit outdated.

Unfortunately most of the guides in the sticky have some outdated sections and most of the guys who wrote those guides aren't around any longer.

skilledlord said:
Most good psn necs should have block. However, parts of this guide is outdated:/. and posion necs can be easily negated.

actually how can poison be completely negated in dueling without making your chr pretty much useless. I just need to know because deaths hand and -75% PLR from an ammy or something does not even really help. Please do not state potting as the way to completely negate poison when a necro has -100 to -125% on average when LR is cast

Indeed since this guide was written rather early in patch 1.10 and with the fixing of the Marrowwalk bug and the continuing evolution of dueling and those builds I would be surprised if it wasn't a bit outdated. [/QUOTE]

Unfortunately most of the guides in the sticky have some outdated sections and most of the guys who wrote those guides aren't around any longer.[/QUOTE]

Well the marrow issue needs corrected at a minimum. The FHR issue needs to be brought up to date sorta with this chr or he will not survive in PVP.

And can someone tell me how to highlight the quotes in the squares. I am not great at the mechanics of the posting issue LOL.

Gotcha said:
actually how can poison be completely negated in dueling without making your chr pretty much useless. I just need to know because deaths hand and -75% PLR from an ammy or something does not even really help. Please do not state potting as the way to completely negate poison when a necro has -100 to -125% on average when LR is cast

Not completely neglate the dmg. Enough to keep the psn necro's psn dmg to a minimal. Therefore making the necro more vulnerable.

Perhaps a noob question. Why isn't Trang's wing listed as a shield? It comes with a bonus to dex, good blocking and a bonus to poison if combined with gloves (on the list) the belt (on the list).

Gotcha said:
Well the marrow issue needs corrected at a minimum. The FHR issue needs to be brought up to date sorta with this chr or he will not survive in PVP.

Since I'm not a PvP-er I'll leave it up to you guys to suggest fixes and then I'll edit them in.

Gotcha said:
And can someone tell me how to highlight the quotes in the squares. I am not great at the mechanics of the posting issue LOL.

You keep deleting the part that says "
NameOfTheGuyYouQuote said:
". It is rather essential when it comes to quoting.

Mad Mantis said:
Since I'm not a PvP-er I'll leave it up to you guys to suggest fixes and then I'll edit them in.

You keep deleting the part that says "
NameOfTheGuyYouQuote said:
". It is rather essential when it comes to quoting.

hehe so sorry, I am bad at this I guess. I need to figure out how to copy the text in the box and post it like all the hardcore forum people do. I am sorry to everyone I have offended I try to put the quote there but sometimes delete the name by mistake. My bad. Spank me badly I think I need it. LOL. I will figure out this forum pasting thing eventually.

Whether this is an "uber" dual or not really don't concern me. The necro was the first char I played in D2 and this is a fun new twist on it. Want to make normal interesting again? Try playing through it with poison dagger and CE while trying to get to lvl 30. The strategy involved is very different.

The main benefit I see is the "fun" factor and the ability to kill those annoying mid lvl pallys (who were rushed to lvl 60ish) that join parties, then go hostile in PvM games. I'll kill them w/ poison and then throw Prison around their corpse until they leave.

Looks like a fun build

I am going to try this out for pvm. It looks like a cool build. Here is the equipment I have and am planning on using. Any opinions are appreciated.

Perfect Deaths Web + with 15 resistall jewel
Perfect Bramble
+3 poison ammy or 27 maras
1 soj
1 soj or Raven
Um homonculous
Um Shako
Treks
Arachnid Mesh
5 P and B GCs
Necro Torch
Anni

I like that it doesnt have a lot of summoning because I already have a summoner. Also I didnt want to do a straight bone necro.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High