Patriarch Testor the Griswold Avenger

Jan 1, 2011
When I came back from a 10-year layoff I had this level 1 Paladin named Testor. Why Testor, I’m no longer sure. I think because I created him using Atma. At any rate I decided to do something with him and started reading some of the Paladin guides. I really liked Asmodeus’s guide and I had the Griswold set and the rest of the gear suggestions, so I decided to give it a try.

One difference from Asmodeus’s guide is I chose a Holly Freeze merc as I’d never tried one before and also equipped him with a Delirium tiara and Fortitude armor. Another difference is that I used a Nature’s Peace ring once I got to Hell Act 2, it made it so much easier to get through the all of the tombs. I was going to switch back to a rare ring I had, but ended up leaving it on for the rest of the Game.

I saw the comments about that he would be slow and boring because he only hits one target at a time. Well, the most boring character I ever made was a concentrate barb and when the Avenger has a fast weapon he may hit one target at a time, but he is not boring. Part of what kept it interesting was the light show, first the green on the from Conviction, then monsters turning blue from the Holy Freeze, Then the green streaks and balls of terror and confuse and finally the light blue clouds of decrepify.

Then when they are all battling each other, you run around the edges whacking monsters, nothing easier. I will say that the aura of the Griswold’s set was a bit much sometimes as I occasionally had trouble seeing some of the smaller monsters.

Name: Testor
Class: Paladin
Experience: 1014213757
Level: 84

Naked/Gear
Strength: 115/165
Dexterity: 143/192
Vitality: 237/247
Energy: 15/24
HP: 917/1222
Mana: 139/247
Stamina: 384/384
Defense: 35/4063
AR: 700/5529

Fire: 174/134/ 81
Cold: 135/95/82
Lightning: 134/94/82
Poison: 154/114/75

MF: 103 Block: 73 w/o HS 75 with
GF: 115
FR/W: 25
FHR: 12
IAS: 75
FCR: 0

Sacrifice: 1/6
Smite: 1/6
Holy Bolt: 1/6
Zeal: 1/6
Charge: 1/6
Vengeance: 20/25
Blessed Hammer: 1/6
Conversion: 0/0
Holy Shield: 2/7
Fist of the Heavens: 0/0

Might: 1/7
Holy Fire: 1/7
Thorns: 1/7
Blessed Aim: 0/0
Concentration: 0/0
Holy Freeze: 1/7
Holy Shock: 0/0
Sanctuary: 1/7
Fanaticism: 0/0
Conviction: 20/26

Prayer: 0/0
Resist Fire: 12/17
Defiance: 0/0
Resist Cold: 15/20
Cleansing: 0/0
Resist Lightning: 15/20
Vigor: 0/0
Meditation: 0/0
Redemption: 0/0
Salvation: 0/0

I won’t bore you with listing all of the equipment, but will add the total of all of the jewels that I added.

131% ED
+50 min damage
+26 Max damage
15% IAS
5-9 Fire
1-10 Lightning
+3 Dex

In general, all the super uniques went down fairly easily. I think it was the fastest I ever killed Izual and Diablo was really quick too. While I died a number of times from stupidity, the only real trouble I had was in the Crystalline Passage when I ran into multiple packs of Blood Lords as I died three times to them.

The Hell Ancients had something happen for the first time for me. I went after Madawc and left the Merc on his own and by the time I killed Madawc, Ahsab had killed the other two!

As far as finding anything Testor wasn’t very lucky. After the Forge dropped an El and Io in normal and nightmare, I wasn’t expecting much from the Hell Forge, but it dropped a Mal. None of the big guys dropped anything worth noting. The best items along the way were an IK Maul, Tal Rasha’s Horadric Crest, a Giant Skull and Bul-Kathos Tribal Guardian. I think the best find may have been a Shimmering Grand Charm of Vita, +13 to all resistances and +37 to life.

This was my first Paladin Patriarch, next to finish my Ranger and a Frost Zealot.

Congrats!

Avenger + Gris Set + Min Damage, the combo that makes me go 🤩.

I think the best find may have been a Shimmering Grand Charm of Vita, +13 to all resistances and +37 to life.
To me, that's a pretty solid find.

I made an avenger years ago, but I didn't go with +min damage as I don't have Gris' Cadeceus. I used an Oath Cryptic Sword, which seemed to work well.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High