OT: The SPF Cooks! (mnomnomnoms and yum)

I'm confused. I thought tartare stood for uncooked meat. Or at least, whenever someone said tartare, that's what I think of.

Anyway, on the menu today, we had Cottage Pie.

Cooking time: omg is lazy
Prep time: from when you start until you finish
Serves: 1 or more

Ingredients:
- Beef mince (the less fat, the better)
- Onions
- Beef / Chicken / Vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon flour / corn flour
- Seasoning ( I prefer salt, pepper and cayenne pepper)
- Basil
- Vegetables of choice (I like to use sweet corn, but the traditional recipe calls for pees and carrots)
- Potatoes
- Cheddar cheese
- Milk
- Butter

Preparation:
- Chop onions
- Boil water for stock if you are using stock cubes
- Chop basil
- Peal and cut potatoes into small chunks
- Grate cheddar cheese

Cooking:
1. In a decently sized pan, cook the mince along with the onion until the mince has browned nicely and the bottom of the pan has caramelized.
2. Add flour and seasoning.
3. Mix and leave cooking for a minute or two.
4. Add stock and mix until the thickens up nicely.
5. Turn off heat (move aside if you're using an electric cooker) and add vegetables. Mix until well incorporated.
6. Add into a decently sized oven tray.
7. Boil potatoes.
8. Mash them half way using a potato masher. Add milk and butter half way and continue to mash.
9. Add cheese and mix it in well.
10. Once your mash is ready, put it on top of the mince mixture in big chunks using your spoon.
11. Level it up and create small ridges using a fork.
12. Bake for 30 minutes at 180C.
13. Let it cool down for 15 minutes before serving.
Enjoy.

Picture is unavailable as we decided to devour a decent part of the pie exactly 15 minutes after removing it from the oven.

I'm confused. I thought tartare stood for uncooked meat. Or at least, whenever someone said tartare, that's what I think of.

It is! That's why he said "grilled tartare" - it's basically the same recipe as ordinary tartare, except the meat is grilled and not raw :)

Hubby says chili tastes good now, so I post it here. (I can't taste the whole dish, just the sauce, since I don't eat onions.) I used a recipe from a popular norwegian site, but the final version has not that much to do with it. It tasted water when I was finished. So I had about 5 times more spices and 2 more chilis in it.

Chilie con carne norwegian "matprat"style

Cooking time: They say under 20 min and that's probably correct if you make it for 4 servings. Took cosiderably longer for me since I made it for 20 servings.
Preparation time: see above
Serving: 4

400g minced meat (didn't state what animal, I would normaly use mixed, but used beef now since one friend is muslim)
1 finely chopped onion (screw that, it gets chopped however I feel at that point)
2 cloves garlic
1/2 red chili
1 box canned tomatoes (chopped up)
1 box kidney beans
2 red peppers
1 ts chili powder
1/2 ts cumin
1/2 ts salt

I had much more spices in there, but that is probably up to taste. Norwegians don't usuallt eat too spicy, so that might be thereason. Just add what you feel for after tasting it. And one thing the recipe didn't mention is that you need a bit of sugar in there as well since you have tomatoes in there.

Edit: I added corn (canned) to the mix as well.

Why did this thread die? *crying*

I need to make chicken soup tomorrow. I have no clue how to. I'd prefer to do it without prefabricated stock. So I guess, get chicken, get vegetables and cook for about two hours? Any help apreciated. :)

well that is what i would do
if you have time cook the peel of the veggies and the chicken bones to make yourself the stock - but that is actually unnecessary

I want to make the stock myself. That's the point. Also thinking that I could make a chicken stew the day after then. I don't have a receipe for that either though.

While I am at it.

Fårikål (traditional Norwegian dish)

Cooking time: 2-2,5 hours
Preparation time: 15 mins (aprox)
Serves: 4

1,5 kg cabbage
1,5 kg lamb (it has to be cut in pieces with bone and skin)
4ts pepper (whole black)
2ts salt
300ml water

Note: I do take more meat than cabbage since I don't like cabbage very much. Guess it's about 2kg lamb for 1,5 kg cabbage.

Rinse meat. Cut cabbage in 8th, try to have all of the parts attached to a piece of trunk still.
Fill pot with everything in layers. Start with meat skin side down. Then cabbage and pepper and salt, repeat until you have all meat and cabbage in (you need a rather large pot). Add the water and cook up. Let simmer for about 2 hours. It's ready when you can easily divide bone and meat with a fork.

You can have the pepper in a container (like a tea egg) if you don't want to have to look for it and take it out while you're eating, but in my experience it tates better if you don't do that.

Serve with boiled potatoes (with skin, those who don't want the skin, can peel it of at the table).

Boil a whole chicken, Make the stock from the boiling water.

If you want to get a really chickeny stock, the best is to use chicken wings. Cook them first in an oven, break them up with a sharp knife and then throw into boiling water.

And if you ever roast or bake or grill whole chickens, you can freeze the carcass and boil that into some fabulous stock.

Also, if you don't want to mess with a whole chicken, it's possible to use pieces. I've made a variety of stews and soups with thighs and legs.

All of those especially baked chicken works great. I like to make the stock from a whole chicken, because then I can shred the boiled chicken and use what i need for chicken and dumplins or stew or soup and freeze the rest.

I just made a nice chicken soup actually. And it's real easy.

Take one chicken and chop into smaller pieces. Put in large pot. Cover with water. Add some whole pepper corns, maybe some carrots, some selleri. some laurel... Cook for 1 hour maybe and then take out the chicken. Clean the bones and keep the meat but put back the bones into the pot and keep coocking for another hour or so. The rinse and if you want to cook to reduce it to make it thicker. Then just add cream and salt if ncessairy and perhaps some flour if you want it thicker. When you are happy, add some of the chicken meat that you removed before. chopped into small pieces.

Nice semi-necro!

I cooked a couple of pretty basic Danish dishes the last couple of days:

Frikadeller (pan fried meat ball-ish)

Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 10-15 mins

Ingredients:
Minced pork
Flour
Egg
Onion
Milk
Butter

This is the very basic recipe. If you want/like you can add some spices too. You simply mix a bit of flour flour, a bit of milk, meat, chopped onions and a single egg together in a bowl. You then fry them on your pan in a bit of butter.

Variant: I often to them with chicken mince instead of pork. I add stuff like thyme, oregano, basil which all goes well with a tomatoe/pepper sauce and some rice or the like.

Possible garniture:

Cream stewed potatoes (direct Danish translation)

Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: ~1 hour

Ingredients:
Onion
Black pepper
Potatoes
Cream
Milk

Slice your potatoes and onions relatively thinly and layer them. Almost cover with 50/50 milk and cream (or just cream, that's actually how it's supposed to be made). Add some grinded black pepper and cook in oven for a good hour. Simple and delicious (and Danish!) ;)

Crepes. Romanian style.

Cooking time: 1.5 minutes per crepe
Prep time: 5-10 minutes
Serves: At least 1.

Ingredients:
1. Plain flour
2. Eggs
3. Sugar
4. Water/Milk/Club soda
5. Cooking oil
6. Filling (Nutella, Chocolate syrup, Maple Syrup, Any sorts of jam)

Preparation:
1. Beat an egg or two depending on how much flour you use (generally 1 egg per 300g of flour).
2. Add a quarter of the flower and mix it in the egg.
3. Add half the preferred liquid and mix that in as well.
4. Continue adding flour and liquid until you get a slightly thick, creamy concoction.

Cooking:
1. Heat a teaspoon of oil in a decently sized pan.
2. Place a ladle of concoction into the pan and quickly move the pan so that it's all covered.
3. Wait about a minute or until the crepe looks dry and flip it over. One can use a wooden spatula for this, or if you want to get fancy, you can flip it in the air.
4. After about 30 seconds the other side should be cooked as well.
5. Transfer to a plate and fill with desired filling.
6. Folded in either a round shape or triangles.

Don't be discouraged when the first few turn out bad, just learn from your mistakes.

In regards to the chicken, whenever we buy while chickens, I tend to butcher then straight away. I looked on youtube for a bit and found videos on how to properly butcher a chicken using a simple chef's knife.

First you need to take off the wings, then the legs and ending with the breast. Use your knife to find the joins and cut through them. Doing so you will not encounter much resistance.

Then simply cook the pieces as you see fit and save the carcass for stock. It seems that if you prepare stock out of anything, it will loose all of it's flavor so that renders them useless.

My only tip to a good soup is to add an egg to it. Beat one in a jug or a mug and fill it with soup from the pot just before it's finished. Mix them together and add everything back into the pot.

On the pan cakes: here we often mix beer and milk together for the liquid part. However, I'm not sure exactly what the beer is doing - I imagine it would be something along the lines of club soda?

Also, does anybody have an awesome burrito recipe? (filling and the wrap itself)

The beer/club soda is used to fluff up the mixture. Which should give you thicker and fluffier crepes. However, I've always used water or milk.

Pork Chili Verde

3 to 4 pound pork shoulder, trimmed and cubed in one-inch cubes
One head garlic, peeled and chopped
One onion, diced
Ten tomatillos, husked, washed, and diced
four jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced
ground cumin (two to four tablespoons)
dried oregano (two tablespoons)
chicken stock

For serving:
chopped cilantro
crumbled cotija cheese
lime wedges
diced avocado

Season the pork with salt and pepper. Heat canola or peanut oil until hot, then sear pork in batches. Take your time and make sure you have lovely browned bits. Remove pork to a plate.

Saute garlic, onions, and jalapenos until soft, scraping up the fond (brown bits that have stuck to the bottom.) Add tomatillos, cumin, and oregano, with salt and pepper to taste. Nestle pork into the pot, and add chicken stock to almost cover. bring to a boil, and reduce to a simmer.

During the first half hour of cooking, skim any foam from the top of the simmering liquid. This will prevent the pork from tasting greasy.

Simmer for three hours - the pork will start falling apart in the sauce. Serve over white rice or in tortillas, topping with cotija cheese, avocado, cilantro, and a few squeezes of lime juice. Here's what it looked like for dinner last night:

IMAG0165_zps5b255fde.jpg

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High