OT: The SPF Cooks! (mnomnomnoms and yum)

I'm looking for a good and simple chili con carne recipe. There are about 200k different ones on the net. Anybody has a good one? I need to feed about 20.

hmmm i don't know any good chili con carne recipe - haven't done it in way to long

edited a hot chocolate recipe in my very first post in this thread just so that most is on the first page

@moar: take my taco recipe, replace pork with beef, omit the baking portion, replace rotel tomatoes with tomato paste, double or triple the amount of spices.

[highlight]Quick and Dirty Texas-style Chili[/highlight]

prep time: 20 minutes
cook time: 2-3 hours
serves: 3-5

• sautee an onion and some garlic in a bit of oil in a large, heavy pan.
  • when carmelized, add 1+ lb (400g+ or some amount per person) ground beef (or combination of beef, pork, whatever)
  • add spices and cook meat until mostly brown
  • make a well in the center, and add tomato paste
  • fry tomato paste for a minute or so, then mix into meat
  • add water to cover and simmer until it reaches desired thickness.

This is the simple version. If you want, you can add some pinto beans (in TX, this is a sin: chili does not contain beans)
If you want, you can use chunks of beef and allow them to cook to the point of dissolving, though people around here usually use ground beef
And when I ate meat, i used to make this occasionally, always without a recipe. Sorry I don't have better measurements.
You can fancy it up, or dress it down with relative ease.

Serve with shredded cheese, diced onion, cheap salted crackers or Fritos (do you have those over there?) or tortilla chips (I prefer fritos or crackers), and *poof* there's a nice meal for 2 or 3, with maybe some leftovers.

Last edited:
I'm looking for a good and simple chili con carne recipe. There are about 200k different ones on the net. Anybody has a good one? I need to feed about 20.

20!!???!

Might be easier to have it catered.

img20110720200657.jpg

Noodle's Potato Cheese Soup, with Bacon, Scallions, and Sour Cream

Three large Russet potatoes
One onion (or a couple leeks. I happened to have an onion on hand)
Four slices bacon
One pound shredded cheddar cheese
Scallions and sour cream to garnish

Chop bacon, and start it rendering down over medium heat in the pot you'll make the soup in. While the bacon is cooking, dice the onion, thinly slice the scallions on the bias and peel the potatoes. I put the peeled potatoes in a bowl of water so they wouldn't discolor. I waited to dice them until the last minute, as I didn't want too much starch to bleed out. The starch is key, as it acts like flour in a mornay sauce, preventing the cheese from clumping.

Once bacon is crisp, remove to a paper towel lined plate to drain. Pour off all but a tablespoon of bacon fat.

Dice potatoes and add to pan with onion. Add chicken stock to cover by a half inch, and bring to a simmer. Simmer potatoes and onion until tender - how long this will take depends on how small a dice you have. Figure ten to twenty minutes.

When the potatoes and onion are soft, it's time to puree them. I started with a potato masher, and then went to my immersion blender. Once pureed to your liking (I like a few chunks), start adding cheese a handful at a time over low heat. Stir each handful in until melted. Ladle into bowls, top with reserved bacon and scallions, and place a dollop of sour cream in the center of the bowl. The coolness of the sour cream is a really nice contrast to the soup.

@moar: take my taco recipe, replace pork with beef, omit the baking portion, replace rotel tomatoes with tomato paste, double or triple the amount of spices.

• sautee an onion and some garlic in a bit of oil in a large, heavy pan.
  • when carmelized, add 1+ lb (400g+ or some amount per person) ground beef (or combination of beef, pork, whatever)
  • add spices and cook meat until mostly brown
  • make a well in the center, and add tomato paste
  • fry tomato paste for a minute or so, then mix into meat
  • add water to cover and simmer until it reaches desired thickness.

This is the simple version. If you want, you can add some pinto beans (in TX, this is a sin: chili does not contain beans)
If you want, you can use chunks of beef and allow them to cook to the point of dissolving, though people around here usually use ground beef
And when I ate meat, i used to make this occasionally, always without a recipe. Sorry I don't have better measurements.
You can fancy it up, or dress it down with relative ease.

Serve with shredded cheese, diced onion, cheap salted crackers or Fritos (do you have those over there?) or tortilla chips (I prefer fritos or crackers), and *poof* there's a nice meal for 2 or 3, with maybe some leftovers.

Wow. Didn't know those beans were not native in a chili. It's the only time I have ever used them. I think I found a recipe that is simple enough to prepare for 20. Have to do it the day before since I need to prepare the second dish on Saturday for those who won't/can't eat the chili (including me). I'll post the recipe if it proves to be good. :)

@Smancer

Catering is far too expensive here and I do like to serve homemade food when I have guests. Usually I don't have more than 6 guests over, but this time we're having a party for a mixed bunch of people. Gonna be interesting I guess and I am most certainly going to ask for volunteers to clean up the mess on Sunday. ;)

@Smancer

Catering is far too expensive here and I do like to serve homemade food when I have guests. Usually I don't have more than 6 guests over, but this time we're having a party for a mixed bunch of people. Gonna be interesting I guess and I am most certainly going to ask for volunteers to clean up the mess on Sunday. ;)

lol I said easier, not cheaper :p

I'm looking to introduce my roommate to pasta with fish - he says he doesn't like it, but I'm pretty convinced he never tried it :p

I need your best fish/seafood pasta sauce, pl0x. When I do it my self I usually just go about it by reducing some white wine with cream and spices on a pan and ofcourse add whatever fish I cook it with (usually just tuna or salmon). I've also tried adding lemon which works pretty well.

Any suggestions to improvements or some all new recipes?

Interesting thread. I shall post my contributions:
View attachment 3274
1. Kitten peppers.

Ingredients:
- Fresh bell peppers
- Meat of your choice (works well with pork)
- Mushrooms
- Onion
- Ketchup / Tomato sauce / Other type of cooking sauce
- Seasoning

Preparation:
- Cut the top side of the pepper and remove stems and seeds
- Cut mushrooms and 1 onion into small pieces
- Season your meat (I tend to use stock cubes to season my meat these days)
- If you're not using mince, cut your meat into small pieces
- Heat a frying pan on high heat

Cooking:
- Cook your meat
- After meat is cooked add mushrooms with a generous amount of salt. Stir fry until tender and all water has evaporated
- Add onion a few minutes before mushrooms are done
Optional: You can also cook the few bits of pepper you have left from the top of the bell peppers
- Put the meat back into the pan along with your sauce and turn heat down to medium
- Simmer for 10 minutes

Serving:
- Add the above mentioned concoction into the raw bell peppers
- Serve on a plate with a spoon
One is supposed to eat the contents with the spoon and bite from the pepper.

Enjoy.

Noodle's Red Wine Braised Short Ribs

scaled.php

Two Pounds beef short ribs
1 head garlic
1 yellow onion
1 bottle red wine (I'm partial to Pinot Noir's from Oregon's Willamette Valley)
2 cups beef stock
Tomato paste
Two stalks celery
Two carrots
Two bay leaves
Dried basil, oregano, and sage.

For gremolata:
One clove garlic
Handful flat leaf Italian parsley
Two tablespoons lenon zest

Season short ribs with salt and pepper while a couple tablespoons olive oil is heating in a dutch over. When oil is hot, sear short ribs on all sides. Work in batches if necessary - do not over crowd the pan, as this will cause the ribs to steam rather than brown. Remove ribs.

Add sliced garlic, diced onion, and diced carrots and celery to pot, and saute for about five minutes. Add dried herbs.

Add two tablespoons tomato paste to pot, and saute until it turns a deep brick red color. Deglaze pot with a cup of red wine, stirring to scrape up the browned bits ("fond") at the bottom of pot. When wine has reduced to a glaze, add ribs back into pot in a single layer. Add equal parts red wine and beef stock until ribs are 2/3 covered. Bring to a simmer, place a lid on the pot slightly askew, and place in low oven (275 to 300 Fahrenheit) for three hours.

Remove beef from pot, and tent with foil to keep warm. Strain braising liquid, and return to pot. Boil over high heat until liquid is reduced to a sauce. Meanwhile, mince the remaining clove of garlic, parsley, and lemon zest and combine to make gremolata. Serve ribs glazed with reduced liquid, topped with gremolata. Delicious served over rice, potatoes or noodles, or with crusty bread to dip in the sauce.

As a terrible cook, I'll try my hand at making everything mentioned here (+ post pictures!).

If all of you could do me a huge favour though, it would much appreciated.

Edit your posts, so that these are at the very top:

Preparation Time: blah
Cooking Time: blah
Serves: blah

I'm pretty others would appreciate this little bit of heuristics as well. Thanks!

I'll try to add that, but for me recipes are just a guidline. Probably has to do with when I had just moved out and asked my mother about recipes, she never could give me a clear answer about how much of what she put in there. I adopted that style out of necessity. Death by hunger would have been theother option.

Ok here is my first addition.

Cooking Time: 10 to 20 minutes
Preperation Time: Depends on how good you are at cleaning shellfish (and which one you use)
Serves: 4

Spaghetti with clams
400g dried spaghetti (I often use fresh home made pasta, but dried is easier)
1 kg live clams (mussles are good as well)
125 mL (half a cup) of Extra Virgin Olive Oil (this is the base of the Sauce)
4 cloves finely sliced garlic (not crushed, you want slices)
4 finely chopped french shallots (also called french onions? they look a bit like bigger chives)
Dried Chilli Flakes (I usually use around 1/2 a Tablespoon)
60 mL (1/4 cup) white wine
Flat Leaf Parsley chopped (A Tablespoon or so)

Clean the clams by giving them a rinse in water (depending on the clams you may need to purge them, if you are using mussles you will need to de-beard them)

1) Heat the olive oil in a saucepan with a tight fitting lid
2) Add garlic and shallots, chilli flakes and white wine and bring to the boil
3) Add clams and cover
4) Steam calms over high heat for ~ 3 to 4 minutes, shake the pan regularly until the clams open
5) Meanwhile cook your pasta according to packet directions (note depending on cooking time you may need to start the pasta before the olive oil steps 2 to 4 take ~ 6 minutes or so. I'd suggest putting the pasta on first and then with 6 minutes left of cooking time starting the olive oil)
6) Add the pasta and parsley to the saucepan with the clams and toss well, season with salt and pepper and serve

Variations:
As stated before I've done this recipe with both clams and Mussels and it works well.

I've also adapted it with crab meat (you will want to boil the crab first to cook the meat, pick the meat and then add it fairly late in cooking) when I do crab I usually add fresh tomato (1 to 2 finely diced) for extra sauce (shellfish don't need this as they release a lot of juice in cooking)

anyway enjoy :)

I'm looking to introduce my roommate to pasta with fish - he says he doesn't like it, but I'm pretty convinced he never tried it :p

I need your best fish/seafood pasta sauce, pl0x. When I do it my self I usually just go about it by reducing some white wine with cream and spices on a pan and ofcourse add whatever fish I cook it with (usually just tuna or salmon). I've also tried adding lemon which works pretty well.

Any suggestions to improvements or some all new recipes?

This is a very simple tuna pasta dish that we call Everyday tuna I think.

Cooking time: 10 min
Preparation time: 10 min
Serving: 4

350 gr pasta
1 can anchovies, 50 gr (the salty small fish? anchovy? sardines? Not in the tomato sauce)
1 large garlic piece
0,5-1 red chili (depending on how hot you want it)
olive oil
1 big chunk of parsley. The flat leaves, not the frizzy)
2 cans of tuna in oil
salt, peppar
parmesan

Cook the pasta. Meanwhile, make the sauce.
Chop the anchovy, peel and chop the garlic into small pieces. Split the chili, remove the seeds and chop the chili. Fry this for 2-3 min in olive oil. Add the tuna without the oil, chop it up to smaller chunks and also add some of the oil from the anchovy. The more of this you add the saltier it gets. Let it become warm.

Before serving, rinse and chop the parsley and add this. Add salt and peppar if you want and put some parmesan on top if you like this. Mix with the pasta and voilá!

Quick tip to anyone that plans on cooking pasta. DO NOT rinse the pasta after it's cooked. You should drain it and that's about it.

Edit:

Adding another pasta dish - I like those, especially since they are often both quick and cheap. And I love pasta!

Freddy's (that's just for self pimping it really is a quite ordinary recipe) spaghetti carbonara:

Cooking time: 15-20 mins
Preparation time: none
Serves: 3-4 people

Ingredients:
Spaghetti for 3-4 people
Diced/chopped bacon/ham for as many people. I usually use 250-300 g.
1 red onion
3 cloves of garlic
2 eggs
200 ml cream
Black pepper
50 g of grated cheese. I usually use parmesan, but it should work with cheddar or mozarella aswell.

Cooking:
- Get some water boiling.
- While you wait for that, start cooking your bacon/ham on a frying pan until it's crisp.
- While waiting for that too crisp chop up your onion and garlics.
- When bacon/ham is almost crisp add onion and garlic and keep on frying it until the onions gets soft and the bacon as you like it.
- When water starts boiling add pasta.
- While waiting for pasta to finish mix the eggs, cream, and grated cheese in a bowl with lots of roughly grinded black pepper.
- When pasta is done, drain it.
- Put pasta back in the dry boiling pot.
- Add bacon/onions/garlic to boiling pot and mix it with the pasta.
- Slowly add cream/eggs/cheese/pepper mix to the pot and mix it with the pasta for a couple of minutes. Since the content of the pot is still hot this should make the cheese melt and the eggs cook (but not scramble!) and give the sauce a very delicious creamy consistence.
- Serve!

Jcakes: that sounds absolutely delicious. Getting live clams can be sorta expensive though, so I probably won't try it right away.

This is a very simple tuna pasta dish that we call Everyday tuna I think.

Cooking time: 10 min
Preparation time: 10 min
Serving: 4

350 gr pasta
1 can anchovies, 50 gr (the salty small fish? anchovy? sardines? Not in the tomato sauce)
1 large garlic piece
0,5-1 red chili (depending on how hot you want it)
olive oil
1 big chunk of parsley. The flat leaves, not the frizzy)
2 cans of tuna in oil
salt, peppar
parmesan

Cook the pasta. Meanwhile, make the sauce.
Chop the anchovy, peel and chop the garlic into small pieces. Split the chili, remove the seeds and chop the chili. Fry this for 2-3 min in olive oil. Add the tuna without the oil, chop it up to smaller chunks and also add some of the oil from the anchovy. The more of this you add the saltier it gets. Let it become warm.

Before serving, rinse and chop the parsley and add this. Add salt and peppar if you want and put some parmesan on top if you like this. Mix with the pasta and voilá!

That sounds pretty great and budget friendly, thanks :)

Last edited:
Quick tip to anyone that plans on cooking pasta. DO NOT rinse the pasta after it's cooked. You should drain it and that's about it.

This 100 times this. Also cook it in fairly salty water.

Edit:

Adding another pasta dish - I like those, especially since they are often both quick and cheap. And I love pasta!

Freddy's (that's just for self pimping it really is a quite ordinary recipe) spaghetti carbonara:

Cooking time: 15-20 mins
Preparation time: none
Serves: 3-4 people

Ingredients:
Spaghetti for 3-4 people
Diced/chopped bacon/ham for as many people. I usually use 250-300 g.
1 red onion
3 cloves of garlic
2 eggs
200 ml cream
Black pepper
50 g of grated cheese. I usually use parmesan, but it should work with cheddar or mozarella aswell.

Cooking:
- Get some water boiling.
- While you wait for that, start cooking your bacon/ham on a frying pan until it's crisp.
- While waiting for that too crisp chop up your onion and garlics.
- When bacon/ham is almost crisp add onion and garlic and keep on frying it until the onions gets soft and the bacon as you like it.
- When water starts boiling add pasta.
- While waiting for pasta to finish mix the eggs, cream, and grated cheese in a bowl with lots of roughly grinded black pepper.
- When pasta is done, drain it.
- Put pasta back in the dry boiling pot.
- Add bacon/onions/garlic to boiling pot and mix it with the pasta.
- Slowly add cream/eggs/cheese/pepper mix to the pot and mix it with the pasta for a couple of minutes. Since the content of the pot is still hot this should make the cheese melt and the eggs cook (but not scramble!) and give the sauce a very delicious creamy consistence.
- Serve!

Jcakes: that sounds absolutely delicious. Getting live clams can be sorta expensive though, so I probably won't try it right away.

No problems, clams aren't too expensive here.

Also on your Carbonara recipe using cream is an absolute sin according to the Italians :). It is ok if you like it, just don't serve it to an Italian :p

Traditional Carbonara sauce is just Guancale (although pancetta / smokey bacon is an ok substitute), pecorino / parmesan cheese and egg.

Here is my recipe for Traditional Carbonara try it and thank me later :)

Serves 4
Cooking time 15 minutes
Prep time: 5 minutes (you can do a lot of it while the pasta is cooking)

• 400 Grams Pasta
  • 150 grams Guanciale cut into batons (can be very hard to get, I usually use Pancetta or Bacon)
  • Olive oil
  • 70 grams Parmesan Cheese finely grated
  • 30 grams Pecorino finely grated
  • sea salt / freshly ground black pepper

1. Cook pasta according to packet directions
  2. Fry Guanciale in olive oil until cooked
  3. Beat eggs and cheese together season with lots of salt and black pepper
  4. Heat the bowl you are going to serve the pasta in (normally I don't bother with this step and just use the sauce pan the pasta was cooked in)
  5. Drain the cooked pasta in a colindar and quickly add to the heated bowl (I just put it back in the saucepan it was cooked in obviously with all the water gone)
  6. Add the eggs and cheese mixture, toss to coat the pasta
  7. Add the Guanciale (do this after tossing with cheese / egg mixture)
  8. serve

Some key points,
1) The residual heat in the pasta is enough to just cook the egg / cheese mixture. It is for that reason you want it to be added before the Guanciale (also it means the Guanciale should stick to the pasta better and not all end up at the bottom of the dish).
2) This dish must be eaten straight away, it is no where near as good the next day (or if reheated)

Anyway give it a go and let me know what you think. I used to have Carbonara with cream, when I tried this recipe I was blown away by how much tastier it is.

I had no idea about the cream thing :) I just learned the stuff from my mother. I'll try it without cream the next time. I'm pretty sure I'll stick to my garlic and onions though - just because it's awesome.

Also, what I'm cooking tonight because I feel lazy:

Preparation time: 10 mins.
Cooking time: 10 mins.
Serves: -

Parisian steak (no idea whether it's actually french or just a Danish thing. We like naming stuff after countries even though it has nothing to do with it):

Ingredients:
Minced Beef
White bread
Capers
Pickled red beetroots (google translate from "røde beder" - you should be able to find that on google images)
Onion
Eggs

Preparation:
Form the beef into hamburgers
Toast sliced bread in butter on a frying pan
Cook hamburgers
Chop onions and beetroots
Place hamburger on top of a single slice of bread
Place chopped stuff and capers on top of hamburgers
Put a raw (pasteurize if necessary) egg yolk on top of it all

Enjoy!

edit: I think it's just a Danish thing. It looks like this. The last ingredient you see is horseradish which is also traditionally important, but my roommate doesn't like it, so I stopped including it.

Last edited:
Ah it is kind of like a cooked steak tartare.

I have actually seen in Swedish restaurants: grilled steak tartar. Which doesn't make sense whatsoever

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High