OT: Steam Sales

Trim

Oct 28, 2007
OT: Steam Sales

Holy cow, I just saw that they've slashed prices on hundreds of games. The downside? It's on for only another twelve hours.

I just bought Torchlight for $5. I don't care if the game is easy, it'll be worth it for such a cheap price.

Everyone: What games would you buy at these prices?? I'm in the market, but I know too little about recent games & computer games in general. What are the mind-blowing deals here?

Gotta act quick... especially me, since it's my bedtime! The only opportunity I'll have to buy anything is just before work. Lame!! Why didn't I see this before??? :doh:

Re: OT: Steam Sales

apparently there are 2 kinds of discounts. the general one, going on for a week (halfway thru) and a daily one that's 24hours only..

my friends and i snagged the l4d2 4pack for 30us. sweet..

waiting for mass effect 2 and da: o awakenings to reach at least 14.99 actually =)

@op: add steam's rss feed to your browser. you'll never miss a discount again ;)

Yeah, the sale is pretty awesome. I took a glance this morning and yesterday and so far nothing I really want though. $5 for Torchlight? I got mine during Runic Games' New Year sale for $10, $5 is just an awesome steal.

Red Faction: Guerrilla is a pretty decent 3PS, and for $5 it's pretty cheap right now. Other good games (IMHO) are Assassin's Creed/Assassin's Creed II, but you can probably find those cheaper elsewhere. The Witcher is $14, as is STALKER: Call of Pripyat. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas 2 is $7. Well, those are just the games I've played and liked.

At the end of the day I'll prolly just buy Red Faction: Guerrilla since I've heard good things about it.

Well, for me it's not the price. A game that's "worth" 5$ isn't really worth my time, to be honest. Torchlight is a perfect example, for me. I did pay 20$ for it back when it was released, but I wouldn't play it, even if it was free. Personally I will only use bargains to get games I previously missed for whatever reason. I don't buy something I know is crap just because it's cheap crap now. That's like watching a twilight movie just because you get the ticket for a dollar... No thanks...

Im picking up Jade Empire and Freedom Force + Expansion, for the princely price of £10 combined :)

I'm thinking of getting Red Facion: Guerrilla. I heard you can blow lots of stuff up there. Yay!

The THQ package is also also a bargain for $50, when Metro 2033 is pretty much $50.

@OP: Don't worry, you didn't miss out on much. The L4D2 4pack was really awesome at 7.5 USD per person, Bioshock 2 was super cheap during its daily as well, and I think TF2 was $2.50 USD at one point (or $6, can't remember), but other than that, nothing really gg-worthy.

Also, The Witcher: EEE was actually -66% a few days ago ($7 USD), but I stalled hoping it would hit -75%. :whistling: I regret it now, because The Witcher's game company basically told Steam to leave it at -33%... don't think it'll hit -75% at any time soon. :( I'm debating now whether to buy it or not.

So far in my cart:
Red Faction Guerrilla $5 USD
King's Bounty Gold Edition $10 USD

I'm debating about The Witcher: EEE. :s

Well, for me it's not the price. A game that's "worth" 5$ isn't really worth my time, to be honest. Torchlight is a perfect example, for me. I did pay 20$ for it back when it was released, but I wouldn't play it, even if it was free. Personally I will only use bargains to get games I previously missed for whatever reason. I don't buy something I know is crap just because it's cheap crap now. That's like watching a twilight movie just because you get the ticket for a dollar... No thanks...

Big difference between Torchlight and Twlight... although I do respect your opinion on the matter.

My bet is that Quarter 2 revenues were down, hence the "better buy it now" attitude.

the thing is, this is just the summer sale. can't imagine the xmas one later this year. hope it 1 up last years! =)

Thanks to everyone who responded. There's a few suggestions in here that I would have considered...

...Except that I woke up about ten minutes before I had to leave for work. I didn't have the time to shower, let alone peruse the worthy games! Stinky... both the fact that I missed out on the sale AND me, personally. I reek.

@zari: Not a bad idea about finding the rss. I'll look into it in a bit.

@NF: Like omg, I, too, respect your opinion. But I feel a need to get defensive. :p

The reason I bought TL is not just because it was cheap. I certainly heard that it's not a superb game from multiple sources. But... well, I like some bad movies, I like some bad albums, and I like some bad games. Sometimes I can't take reviews at face value and I have to get my own experience. It may not be nearly as good as D2. But I like most ARPGs, there were a handful of folks here at the SPF that were digging the game for a while, and I wanted something new to play.

Besides... $5? I've spent a heck of a lot more than that on bad or over-hyped games. I've spent more than that on good games that I don't even play. I think of $5 as the equivalent of a Subway sandwich, a pack of smokes, or a cheap six pack of beer. Maybe it's not the best way to spend that money, but it'll fill a hole for a little while.

Don't talk about TL like a pack of smokes. I'd love a smoke right now.

TL is a good buy for $5. Jesus. Not many can fault that. I side with TRM in that we've all spent worse money on brighter, stupider games, let alone other products.

The Witcher is an awesome game. Worth every penny.

Twilight? Twilight sucks major forum censorship.

Everyone's allowed to have their own opinion, be ye n00b or be ye legend... ;)

I personally liked Torchlight. Paid $10 for it and feel I got more than ten bucks worth of entertainment out of it.

I've grabbed several games on Steam recently just because of the low prices. Some turned out to be fun, others were slightly disappointing (I felt a bit let down by Bioshock 2 for example. Loved the first one, but couldn't get into 2).

Another vote here for the Witcher! Good game.

Does 'getting into' the game cost that much> And goes the game cost that much/ I've nvr seen anyone on my friends list buy it so it mcuh be forged.
Lalaalala.

It's not that I don't want to get The Witcher, it's the principle. The fact that it was $7 a few days ago, but now $14 at the game company's request... you guys can relate, right? :p

are you sure it's a company request? i thought it's sort of a discounted discount for only one day. i may be wrong, can't remember all the wacky deals going on over there..

Yeah, you can contact Steam and they'll confirm. The game company requested for the -66% to be changed to -33%. The daily discounts are usually at -75% and last for a day, The Witcher was at -66% for several days before it was changed to -33%.

OK, so even if I didn't like the original Half-Life (what I played of it, anyway), the fact that HL2 is $3.39 is enough reason to get it.

Question, though. What are people's thoughts about the add-ons like Ep. 1 & 2? Necessary or no?

I'd consider going for the Orange Box just to get Portal with it. BUT, I don't think I care about TF2, and if the expansions are just mediocre then... well, I don't know what I'll do.

Also, omg or anyone else, tell me more about Rainbow Six: Vegas. It's cheap, and I like shooters. Is there anything else I should know? Also, what's difference between Vegas and Vegas 2? 2 is more expensive and also got a worse metascore...

I can garuntee (with almost 100% certainty) that, if you play HL2, you will want the two expansions.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High