Off-topic in the OTF

Hospital staff treating covid patients were wearing garbage bags and were issued a single n95 mask that was supposed to last them 2 weeks.
Not yet they weren't, but even if they were, the solution is to deplete an emergency supply before even trying to look for any other source? Seriously, how is this concept so difficult to grasp? He wasn't lording anything over them. All he did was ask them to at least make the attempt to find their own suppliers before burning though what is supposed to be the last resort. Why? Because if you don't do that then you're just going to be right back where you started within a week and this time your safety net will be gone.

This is a the very reason survivalists and "preppers" have to put their emergency supplies in bunkers, or as close as they can get to one at any rate. When a widespread emergency hits, other people will ransack the place in minutes without doing a damn thing to fix the emergency.

Continue your efforts to re-write history. Nobody is going to fall for your bullshit unless they drank koolaid from the same cup as you.

"He is playing some kind of sick Hunger Games."

"If you had done your job, America's governors wouldn't have been forced to fend for themselves to find tests in the middle of a pandemic, as we successfully did in Maryland. Stop golfing and concede."

"I don't take any responsibility at all."

2 of the above quotes belong to 2 state governors, one a Dem and the other a Republican. The 3rd is a Trump quote. Play match the quote game. Both quotes from the governors condemn Trump's approach to the pandemic. One of those governors had to call in his national guard troops to protect test kits he acquired from S. Korea. Not from looters but from Trump's goons who were stealing PPE and test kits acquired by the states so they could resell to states with a governor willing to kneel before Trump. Kushner was knee deep in that grift.

Not from looters but from Trump's goons who were stealing PPE and test kits acquired by the states so they could resell to states with a governor willing to kneel before Trump.
Still regurgitating that blueanon I see. :rolleyes:

By the way, those South Korean tests didn't work. Sure they were able to test millions more people every day than anyone else, but they had to run the test at least six times per person because it had a high percentage of false results. That's the reason we decided to focus on creating our own at the time. We wanted something just a little bit more reliable than throwing darts.

The WHO tests worked just fine. The Trump admin decided not to use them and instead develop their own tests. The first test kits sent to individual labs across the US to validate, before actually testing on patients, contained contaminated reagents. This put the US months behind other countries. By the time the US had a reliable test kit, it was too late. The virus had spread to every state.

The 500K Korean test kits did have higher than normal false positive results, they were described as being clunky and slow because labs in the US didn't have access to the same lab equipment used in Korea. Immediately after the first batch was sent, an updated kit was shipped to Maryland that worked fine. Those 430K kits were in use long before the widespread use of a working US kit became available. As soon as a working US kit was available, labs in Maryland switched to the new US test kit.

Re-testing due to a false positive is better than no-testing due to having no test kits. Anyone without symptoms in nursing homes were re-tested if their first test came back positive. They were not moved into the covid ward until they received confirmed test results.

To reiterate, the WHO tests were used in shithole countries long before the US was able to test the first patient in the US.

Reactions: Elly
Re-testing due to a false positive is better than no-testing due to having no test kits.
Not really, no. False positives skew the data and create panic. However, the reason the South Korean tests had to be run so many times is not because of false positives, but because of false negatives. The WHO tests weren't much better. Even the tests we have now are not 100%. In fact, I just saw mention that the CDC recently stated that the tests we use now may not even be as accurate as they thought.

I think the most fundamental thing you haven't yet realized, superdave, is that there's only so much anyone can reasonably do. There is no perfect solution. The president, no matter what letter he has next to his name, cannot wave a magic wand and make the virus disappear. Nor does a president recommending some restraint as opposed to acting out of fear mean that he's deliberately trying to murder his own people.

I think the most fundamental thing you haven't yet realized, superdave, is that there's only so much anyone can reasonably do. There is no perfect solution. The president, no matter what letter he has next to his name, cannot wave a magic wand and make the virus disappear. Nor does a president recommending some restraint as opposed to acting out of fear mean that he's deliberately trying to murder his own people.
He acted out of "restraint" to improve his chances of re-election, not for any concern about his constituents. The president with the R behind his name was the number one reason why the US had the worst response of any country in the world. 3 times the number of cases as India(4 times the pop of the US) 530, 000 deaths are twice the number of Brazil.

Other countries were able to mitigate the damage caused by covid because they had leadership that didn't include a narcissistic sociopath.

The countries, the US and Brazil, with the most covid deaths have one thing in common...Trump and Trump 2.0 leading their response.

And I'm sure all those "peaceful protests" had nothing to do with it, right? Or the fact that democrats obstructed every measure the president took, going so far as to actually prohibit doctors from using certain medical treatments, for no other reason than that it was Trump who said something about it? Or the fact that states with lockdowns and mask mandates and whatnot are only doing as well, or in some cases worse, than states which did not go to such lengths? Or in certain cases governors ordering institutions to accept covid positive patients into high risk communities? Or the mixed messaging we received right from the beginning coming from the authorities on the subject like Dr. Fauci, the CDC and the WHO? Or the fact that we're a pretty darn big and diverse nation compared to any other individual nation on the planet, making combating something like a virus more difficult.

Reactions: jmervyn
China pop 4.3 times the US
India pop 4 times the US

The US leads all countries in cases and deaths.
Or the fact that we're a pretty darn big and diverse nation compared to any other individual nation on the planet, making combating something like a virus more difficult.

Or the fact that democrats obstructed every measure the president took, going so far as to actually prohibit doctors from using certain medical treatments, for no other reason than that it was Trump who said something about it?
They did nothing of the sort. FDA and Health and Human Services lead by the Trump appointees were in charge of approving treatments. Trump was selling snake oil. If the treatments he pushed actually worked and didn't harm the patient, they would have been given approval by the FDA.

Again, you show your crazy by saying that dems had any say.

If you spouted this same shit on twitter or facebook, you would have been banned long ago.

Neither of which are particularly big on diversity. Especially China, being led by the communist party and all which, you know, is founded right from the very beginning of the concept on wiping out all diversity. (There's also that little wrinkle where they were caught red handed outright fabricating their numbers and already have a long history of such acts.)

Again, you show your crazy by saying that dems had any say.
Trump suggested we look into it because there were a lot of positive reports about it at the time. Democrats outright banned doing so. This is not a secret.

If you spouted this same shit on twitter or facebook, you would have been banned long ago.
I'm sure I would have. But this argument carries absolutely no weight whatsoever. You know darn well that those two companies in particular have no moral authority right now. They selectively enforce their rules based on political ideology and frequently can't even point out any specific rule violations.

Trump suggested we look into it because there were a lot of positive reports about it at the time. Democrats outright banned doing so. This is not a secret.
Lies.

Neither of which are particularly big on diversity. Especially China, being led by the communist party and all which, you know, is founded right from the very beginning of the concept on wiping out all diversity. (There's also that little wrinkle where they were caught red handed outright fabricating their numbers and already have a long history of such acts.)
It's quite amusing when Proggy fascists defend China, and then are shown evidence of frequent, overt Chinese racism. Their own holiest insult actually being accurate against the society they admire most & want others to suffer under.

A great China travel-vlogger going by 'serpentza' was actively discriminated against despite recognition that he was white, because he's from *SOUTH* Africa. Plenty of signs about "black people will not be allowed entrance" & the like, with official denials & attempts to forcibly cover it up.

Serpentza & his friend Laowhy86 are worth watching, if I hadn't mentioned it before. They both have Chinese wives and dare not return because they're now considered 'enemies of the State' for not continuing to lie. Constant harassment by "50 Cent Army" types, of course, to the point that they're tailed here in America.

So is bad weather, but as long as I can still get to the grocery store and have food on hand, you won't see me tearing into emergency ration bars at the first sign of snowfall.
That said, my wife & I actually enjoy certain MRE's when camping. They're not cheap though.

Mountain House brand isn't bad either.

Reactions: Glurin
Ok, just did some checking. It was the Ohio medical board that banned it. (Then later retracted.) An Ohio democrat lawmaker did state she was going to refer Trump for crimes against humanity over it though. Coulda sworn there was a governor that banned it, but turns out the one I was thinking of just threatened any physicians who prescribed it. Either way, the point is that the treatment was so politicized that any actual medical merit pretty much went out the window.

Ok, just did some checking. It was the Ohio medical board that banned it. (Then later retracted.) An Ohio democrat lawmaker did state she was going to refer Trump for crimes against humanity over it though. Coulda sworn there was a governor that banned it, but turns out the one I was thinking of just threatened any physicians who prescribed it. Either way, the point is that the treatment was so politicized that any actual medical merit pretty much went out the window.
Why do you never show links to reputable sources?

That said, my wife & I actually enjoy certain MRE's when camping. They're not cheap though.
Indeed. People like to hear horror stories about MRE's being barely edible, and to be fair there probably was a point in history where they were. But at least in modern times, they're actually pretty tasty. Wouldn't mind having them more often if it weren't for the price.

Besides that, it's generally just a good idea to actually eat what your using for emergency supplies so you know what to expect. Main thing is to actually keep some of those supplies in reserve for when you run out of everything else and have no way to get any more for the time being.

Indeed. People like to hear horror stories about MRE's being barely edible, and to be fair there probably was a point in history where they were. But at least in modern times, they're actually pretty tasty. Wouldn't mind having them more often if it weren't for the price.
Well, that & the constipation (it's deliberate).
Besides that, it's generally just a good idea to actually eat what your using for emergency supplies so you know what to expect. Main thing is to actually keep some of those supplies in reserve for when you run out of everything else and have no way to get any more for the time being.
I randomly found this recently; Mountain House liked the free publicity so much that they invited them to do more.

Reactions: Glurin
Good find. That pretty accurately illustrates what I was talking about. Even without being able to taste or smell the food, it's pretty easy to see that it wouldn't take very long at all for you to get sick of eating that readywise stuff. Which would not be a good thing when all you've got to eat is readywise stuff. ;)

Nah. Had plenty of family members that smoked. Kind of turned me off the whole idea.

Come to think of it, most of them aren't around anymore.

Also worked with a guy for a while that liked chewing tobacco. It was not a pleasant experience. Decent enough guy. It's just a gross habit to witness.

Any Tobacco smokers here?
Can't stand cigarettes; both my mother-in-law & grandmother died largely to their effect.

I've used chewing tobacco & cigars because both are part of the American military culture, but the high is negligible. Dunno if marijuana would be worthwhile, but I wouldn't want to smoke it in any event. Hell, I *LOVE* campfires but even those get me congested & cause eye pain.

I vastly prefer alcohol.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High