Most certainly not the last thing i'll ever wish for - Item find thread May 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
My necro was sitting at level 91 very close to 92 so I thought what the hell, might as well slap on his MF gears and run Pindle till he level up, shortly after the first run (I never keep track of my runs, it was like, 50th runs or so) this dropped:

Mang_Song_Lesson.jpg

Too bad the roll was awful (8/8/9)

And to (hopefully) motivate those people running LK, I thought I'll post my newly made Enigma too :p

Enigma.jpg

The Jah comes from this generous trade with frozzzen, the Ber comes from LK in the form of two Surs, the base was a 502 def Archon Plate (I ran the pit hoping to find ones with slightly better roll before giving up shortly after, made my Fortitude in a 520 def one.) Good luck to my fellow LK runners, this thing really is awesome and is definitely worth it :thumbup:

We should race to one. :p
Hehe we should! Though now I am putting some time into my barbarian to make him a possible Lower Kurast runner.

1 Ber per 3600 runs average. Even then it took me close to or even over 15k runs to get one. Good luck to you :p

You will get Sur every 990 runs, so you will cube Ber soon enough.
I'm sitting at about ~2600 now, so soon enough! I have found two Surs so I can cube up to a Ber, but I'll need more than one for the runewords I want to make.

And to (hopefully) motivate those people running LK, I thought I'll post my newly made Enigma too :p
She sure is beautiful, congrats!

EDIT: Decided to do a few Lower Kurast runs before work. Found this from a random chest (been looking for it forever. Perfect roll, too!):

Code:
Mara's Kaleidoscope 
Amulet 
Required Level: 67 
Fingerprint: 0x1b3f864a 
Item Level: 80 
Version: Expansion 1.10+ 
+2 to All Skills 
All Stats +5 
All Resistances +30

Last edited:
My necro was sitting at level 91 very close to 92 so I thought what the hell, might as well slap on his MF gears and run Pindle till he level up, shortly after the first run (I never keep track of my runs, it was like, 50th runs or so) this dropped:

Blue Hard Leather Armor dropped??? Man that's so leet!

Yesterday, I was doing some Council runs with a WW MF barb. I killed them all, then I heard a rune drop as I was horking. I kept going, because I only check the drops at the very end. I looked, and I saw Cham. Also a Io. I took a closer look, and it was Lo. I picked everything up, or at least enough to see everything (I run on /p8, so there was a lot of stuff), and there was also a Lum. Unfortunately, on a closer look, that one stayed a Lum. Needless to say, I am now five times as excited and motivated about Council runs as I was before.

What's the point of making Enigma in an AP in Single Player? I made mine in a BP because the whole point of Enigma is not having to put strength in.

Yesterday, I was doing some Council runs with a WW MF barb. I killed them all, then I heard a rune drop as I was horking. I kept going, because I only check the drops at the very end. I looked, and I saw Cham. Also a Io. I took a closer look, and it was Lo. I picked everything up, or at least enough to see everything (I run on /p8, so there was a lot of stuff), and there was also a Lum. Unfortunately, on a closer look, that one stayed a Lum. Needless to say, I am now five times as excited and motivated about Council runs as I was before.

What's the point of making Enigma in an AP in Single Player? I made mine in a BP because the whole point of Enigma is not having to put strength in.

Some builds will still require strength, if that additional strength allows you to use AP, why not? :)
Personally I use BP too though.

AP - gives little bit more defense. That is pretty much unimportant unless you boost that a lot.
Higher strength requirement is not important in a case Kitteh mentioned.

However, including all variety of builds possible to make with Enigma, Breast Plate or Light Plate are overall better choice since you can profit a lot with saved strength from Enigma which you will naturally pump into life.

If we include Spirit shield or Stormshield which both require 156 strength (or 133 for Storm with req jewel), it means that character level 90 (67 strength from Enigma) will need 89 more strength to use both shields, or 66 for -req Stormshield. So, character using Breast Plate will profit with at least 14 more points to vitality (or 37), and AP user will have 450+ more defense. I compared these two shields since they are most popular ones around and is very likely you will end up using at least one of them on your character. But considering that you don't really have to use heavy gear like that, you can profit a lot more with BP compared to AP. Up to 73 more points to vitality, which is a lot.

Generally, there are two characters I would consider using AP on.

One is ww barb. My every ww barb had a lot of strength invested, so this little bonus in defense will be improvement.
Another possibility is Paladin which can boost defense a ton. Unfortunately, paladin has it's own shields and he don't have to use heavy gear, which makes strength investment pretty much useless for him, only question is can he really profit that much from that bonus defense. When I played hammerdin, I had high enough defense that boosting it even further makes no real sense to me. It's like, you will reduce chance that opponent hits you from 19% to... 15% and will trade some life for it? I mean, pretty meaningless overall.

Other characters can't profit much from bonus defense, but they can profit from more stats into vitality. Usefulness of bonus defense is very questionable. More life is more life, that is always useful, however defense works as probability, so that little bonus defense won't really save you. So that's why I vote for Breast Plate > Archon Plate for Enigma.

I made mine in Light Plate cause I never really used that 11 strength difference between LP and BP in requirement to gain some bonus, and for me LP looks so much better than BP on characters. But yes, BP is most profitable choice overall.

So after my lucky streak in Trav of finding Cham, Sur, Mal & Ist all on the same night with my frenzy barb, this was then followed by a full week of nothing...literally nada.

So I respecced him back to berserk/howl, chucked on my mass MF gear (700mf!), and threw him into the Pits once again today. Lo and behold, I FINALLY found my first SOJ and Ber!!!

So it really is true how good luck comes in bursts, which is then immediately followed through with an everlasting streak of bad luck. I better get back to the pits while Lady Luck is still on my side!

Hi guys, I'm back, I know y'all don't know me, but I'm a very active D2 SP player for well over 7 years now.

I learned recently that I have a very bad illness and I want to make an introduction post soon, my story is quite nice. Including how I've reached level 99 on US-WEST ladder reaching rank 5 over all and rank 1 barb.

It was nearly impossible to win first place against cheaters.

I'm legit to the end, D2 SP is by far the best game ever. The pictures below are from a haul run I did. 250/250 runs.

The boots made me slightly excited and sad, I wish it was 40% lightning resist, and maybe more FHR

I did LK/MEPH runs for high runes and that elusive Arachs (finally found it, 3rd one found in life time) After that, there was no reason for me to run Meph, so for the last 70 runs I did pindle and friends (Pindle, Shenk, Eldritch, Thresh) I now am doing 1k Pindle runs.
View attachment 4958View attachment 4959View attachment 4960View attachment 4961View attachment 4962View attachment 4963View attachment 4964View attachment 4965

Last edited:
Why would a WW barb use Enigma?

For the same reason why any other character use it - for efficiency. In both speed and MF-wise. Also provides greatest damage output in many situations for WW barb, however it is not intuitively understandable right away why does Enigma beat Fortitude in damage output, it makes no sense at first.

Here is big explanation about that and why to use (and why many players use) Enigma on WW barb. If you care about efficiency, that is. If not, you can easily use any other armor in the game. Or you can try to use teleport charges somewhere, but that is different than having freedom to cast teleport whenever needed.

Yes, there were some discussions before, but don't really remember what was said before. Problem with Enigma is that armor gives benefits that are not explicitly written on runeword. For example, that massive strength is actually life for your character, cause that many strength you don't need to invest into character to carry some shield or helm. 70+ strength later turns out to be 140+ Bo-able life on character, or up to 200+. For barbs, all that strength + 2 skills are more %ED they have.

Teleport - yes, we all know, teleporting around fast bla bla. First of all, you travel (teleport) faster from place to place, as end of result your runs are faster and more effective + you have massive MF on same armor for more efficiency. Well all know that, but next thing many people are not aware of. There comes more with teleport, and one of those things is the reason why Enigma gives much much more damage to WW barb than Fortitude or any other armor in the game. Teleport does not only teleport your character, it teleport any summoned beast you have + merc too. Since merc is using Reapers Tool with beautiful curse, your goal is to bring him to the target as fast as possible so he can curse it. Decrepify is biggest damage modificator for barb, it boosts barbs damage from 50% to X00%+, depending on physical resist of monster. Unlike %damage from Fortitude that goes into formula, this adds bonus damage to your total damage, including critical hit!

You probably already know all of this, so then we can use those facts even further. Mercs are... well, morons. Sometimes they stand right next to me behind the wall while I kill stuff (Baal runs too). Teleport is very much needed to control them and to put them into fight or out of fight to save them. The sooner they cast curse, the sooner your damage will be boosted.

So, when we start killing same target, let's say bosspacks. My enigma vs your Fortitude.
1. round: If your merc is there to curse just like mine is, you will win cause Fortitude gives you more damage than Enigma does directly. You won first round.
2. round: If next bosspack is 2 screens away, I will be there in a blink of eye while you will walk there, therefore I gain time here compared to you. Also, my teleport will bring merc with me and he will already start cursing those minions, while your merc will lag behind and even when he comes near you, chances are he will start to attack random creep instead of desired bosspack target. I won second round.
3. round: same as second round, I teleport there + curse fast + kill fast, while you walk there + ww over minions without curse on cause your merc is in lalaland = I deal more damage and kill faster.

For every next round I win for same reasons, I travel faster + deal more damage to minions cause I have curse on, while you usually don't cause your merc is who knows where. In time when he gets there, I already killed pack and move forward.

So, that's why Enigma usually gives you much more damage than Fortitude does. Not directly, but through teleport and the fact merc will actually do his stuff instead lagging behind or attacking random target.
This is calling effective running, gaining as much as you can in the least time possible.

Since you prefer full clears, that is usually not as effective as it can be to get what you want + even more. In that case, chances are Enigma actually isn't best choice and can be beaten by Fortitude or CoH. So, for your playing style Enigma can be replaced with something else. In my case, I prefer efficiency running, that means as fast as I can with most gain. Fullclears are not that category. Closest to fullclears I go is with pitnecro, but even with him I don't actually do fullclear cause it's so ineffective. More effective is to start new game and to kill bosses + nearby creeps over and over again instead chasing all monsters in some area and losing time to that.
So, if you want efficiency, Enigma beats all hands down. If you prefer playing around with fullclears etc, then you can use Fortitude or CoH with possibly greater success (did you include the fact you lost 9x MF when swapping out Enigma?).

Now if someone still doesn't understand why is Enigma absolutely number one armor when it comes to efficiency, then he can test it himself. Also I hope it is clear now why Enigma gives much more damage to WW barb than any other armor, and for WW barb you do want as much damage as you can. It's possible to use teleport charges + Fortitude, but again you lose much MF + either helm or deadly strike from amulet (deadly strike + Decrepify is HUGE damage). However using that charges everytime to position your merc, even in Throne, might be annoying. Or using them to save your merc if needed.

Spent some time running AT, nothing too special. A grailer is all. Then transitioned to LK for a bit.

Lo

and ~15 mins later

Um

LK runes that have evaded me thus far: Gul, Vex, Sur and Ber.

Me again. Did some more Council runs and got an Ohm. At the rate of 2 HRs a day, in two weeks I'll have every runeword I could ever want. Yesterday = Cham, Lo. Today = Vex, Ohm. Tomorrow = Lo, Ber! Come on, Council!

Mang_Song_Lesson.jpg

Too bad the roll was awful (8/8/9)

I just found one of those from Pindle too (but I got a pretty decent roll):

Mang Song's Lesson
Archon Staff
Two Hand Damage: 83 - 99
Durability: 15 of 26
Required Level: 82
Required Strength: 34
Fingerprint: 0x9d964833
Item Level: 86
+5 to All Skills
+30% Faster Cast Rate
-12% to Enemy Cold Resistance
-11% to Enemy Lightning Resistance
-15% to Enemy Fire Resistance
Regenerate Mana 10%

However my real find of the night wasn't even meant to be a find.

On the Pindle run where my Shako's durability sank low enough to bring up the low-durability warning, Pindle dropped a rare Light belt. I ID rare belts since they can be quite good, so after grabbing that I still had 3x2 empty in my inventory. I figured I'd grab the only 3x2 rare elite item on the ground, ID it at the same time as the belt, and sell them both if the belt sucked (which it did) for an easy 35k+ to offset my repair costs.

Except fate had other plans for my junky-resell-fodder:

Plague Hew
Cryptic Sword
One Hand Damage: 21 - 328
Durability: 25 of 44
Required Level: 61
Required Strength: 99
Required Dexterity: 109
Fingerprint: 0x56860aa7
Item Level: 86
+20% Increased Attack Speed
270% Enhanced Damage
+3 to Minimum Damage
+44 to Maximum Damage (Based on Character Level)
+39 to Attack Rating
+1452 to Attack Rating (Based on Character Level)
6% Mana stolen per hit

... not godly, but it's still very, very nice imho. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it quite yet.

I've been playing 1.06b on and off for a couple months, last night I got the first item I'd consider to be pretty sweet:

ntx0.png

Image rather than readout since they're staying in 1.06b for the time being.

I've been playing 1.06b on and off for a couple months, last night I got the first item I'd consider to be pretty sweet:

ntx0.png

Image rather than readout since they're staying in 1.06b for the time being.
def is too low. Garbage :p

I like the lvl req. Looks like a lot of classic items have really low lvl reqs.

Another intriguing rare:

Entropy Whorl
Ring
Required Level: 66
Fingerprint: 0xbca87a32
Item Level: 99
+18 to Strength
+15 to Dexterity
Lightning Resist +28%
Fire Resist +10%
Poison Resist +17%