MFO Summer 2018 Results [by PhineasB]

Yeah, I thought Grip had beaten it actually, but this old man can't be expected to remember every detail about things these days. It would be neat to have a nice summary of historical MFO events summarized on a page somewhere, with records and such. I know someone (nepeta?) kept that up way back in 2011ish.

It doesn't have the records listed out, but all the MFO results are compiled here (hat tip to @Pb_pal for updating nepata's work). I may go back and tally up the records in various categories for inclusion in that post (but that will be after I get back from vacation in October, in case someone else wants to tackle it in the meantime).

f8iYDPq.jpg

SwtJRvu.jpg

Day 1
In the first hour, I was just aiming to get into the rhythm of running my Pit map and getting reacquainted with all the boss spawn locations. Just a few minutes short of the 1 hour mark, a golden Sacred Armor drops from a tight group of bosses. Having run Pindle for quite a long time prior to MFO, my initial reaction was: oh, another Templar's Might. Then it quickly dawned on me that I had a chance, and I went to mule off the armor. Tyrael's Might?! Unreal and unbelievable start to the MFO. My initial target was to run around 20 hours, but now I must run as much as I can.

Days 2 - 4
In these few days, drops came back down to Earth, but motivation was still running high. A couple of 8-9-10 pointers dropped along with Vex, Vex, and Ohm. The haul was steadily filling out, but there was still plenty of running to be done.

Days 5 - 6
The first Death's Web on day 5 was an amazing addition to my top 5, but the second Death's Web on day 6 was stunning. It was late at night and run counter was closing in on 1000 runs. I was getting sleepy so I told myself I'd stop at exactly 1000. Of course, when I reached that point, 'a few more runs' had to happen. I'm glad I did because that second Death's Web dropped at run 1001. That woke me up enough for another 5 runs, then I retired for the night.

Days 7 - 10
At this point my top 3 were amazing, but my number 4 and 5 (both 10.7 pointers) needed some work. I checked past MFO results to see how my score stacked up against all-time highs from SPF legends- Fabian's 126.2 in Summer 2012 and Gripphon's 131.7 in Summer 2014 against my 125.4. In the end there were no upgrades, except for a green Caduceus within 10 minutes of midnight, increasing my score to 126.0. It wasn't enough, but still happy with the final results, especially given the amount of runs done.

68EFpSb.png

I wanted to keep the total run count accurate, so I went with the immediate S&E on the first run. Actual avg time is about a second longer than shown. I went with a more relaxed setup of open inventory instead of cube, since I still wanted to pick up and ID other items. Also watching streams on the side 75% of the time didn't help my average run times at all, but I rather have fun with it all. Looks like there is a 'Meet the Olympians' thread, so I'll leave the complete PitBarb setup there.

Link to drops Album

The reveal:

Thanks to @PhineasB for hosting and @logoutzero for supervising Pindle!

Locohead said:
I found a 182ED Gore Rider during the MFO, which you can have if you'd like?
I appreciate the offer, that is really nice. So far all of my equipment is self found, so I am going to try to keep it that way. I was just really frustrated with my results, so I decided to throw myself a pity party. Pay no attention to the Red Wizard in the corner throwing a temper tantrum.

One of the things that always gets in my head about this game is how the probability works. If you plan to do 1500 AT runs with a 475% MF sorceress, you have a pretty good chance of finding several good items. If you complete those runs but don't find anything you are looking for, you don't have any better chance of a good drop on run 1501. It can be infuriating, and make that time seem wasted.

Either way, I decided to take out my anger on Mephisto. He must have sensed my fury, and dropped this on my 3rd run.

2j4eepz.jpg

I guess I have to be done whining now. You may resume the post-tourney festivities.

How do you guys fit all this stuff into one screen, self MP? I had to get creative with MS paint :D

Edit: forgot to include 3x green corona..

1595266346887.png

The stats:

1595266399385.png

Almost 3000 runs were done in the last 4 days. I lost the first weekend almost entirely to moving and ran as much as I could during the week. Usually falling asleep throughout the run indicated it's time to give it a rest. Then Thursday and Friday came, when I was off work and could finally do some real grinding. Both templars dropped on Friday. I was really demoralised by the first one, as it was my 6th this restart. The other one dropped not 200 runs later, just to rub even more salt in that sacred wound. Most of Saturday and half of Sunday were also spent moving, but I still got a lot of (exhausted) runs in.

Astreon's, my saving grace, dropped on Sunday and steelrends were the last TC87 I snatched from the AT, a few hours before MFO's end.

TC87s and other S&U highlights:

1595266478254.png1595266524486.png

Other drops of note: Sur, Lo, five skillers (2x P&B, 1x Traps, 1x Elemental, 1x Barb Combat +29 life). Those and a couple of other non-qualifier finds posted here.

Judging by hours played and based on my run times, after accounting for checking recordings for efficiency and other breaks, I think I ended up with around ~1400 Pit runs. In terms of scoring, I was off to a quick start with Ravenlore, Spirit Keeper within the first couple of hours. Then nothing happened basically until yesterday, though I wasn't able to run much during the last week. Last ~5 hours or so netted Griffon's, Darkforce Spawn and Death's Web, so it was certainly worth pushing through to the end there.

Was cool to find a grailer in Darkforce Spawn, now down to two (Tyrael's and Astreon's). Mostly happy though about improving efficiency with the Barb, his runs during MFO were enough to hit 3rd place in the SPF Hall of Records. Still behind those @Fabian and @Gripphon noobs, but what can you do. ;)

Again, congrats to all those finds everyone, very nice hauls.

Very cool, and congratulations to all on the hard work!

I've always had trouble with focused running, I prefer to do multiple different area clears on a fresh map each time, maybe someday I'll strive to get more effective at focused running!

I applaud you all for the unreal efforts, and appreciate the opportunity to help, an honor indeed.

EDZeKbu.jpg

I had quite the list of items I wanted from this MFO. The only one I got was Natalya's Mark for a build I've wanted to do in a million years, Full Nat's WW SIn. Yeah, I know there are better setups... Still wanna give it a go.

Items I was hoping for:
Stormshield
Tal's Guardianship
Windforce
Griffon's
DWeb
Arkaine's
Lo+ rune
And so on. Basically nothing useful dropped :D

Fabian said:
It would be neat to have a nice summary of historical MFO events summarized on a page somewhere, with records and such. I know someone (nepeta?) kept that up way back in 2011ish.
I was thinking the same. I also wanted a graph of the top three and average scores overlaid with significant events - First win by a barb, Pitzerker guide released, 1.13 released etc.

Congrats to all winners !!! @NanoMist Crazy score, amazing.

Ok, my MFO ...

T72on1 said:
Btw, goals ... don't we have goals anymore when entering a tournament?

My first and most important goal obviously is to not let down the Zod God. Not an easy task, but I hope I will succeed :). Other than that level my PitBarb some more and find at least a grailer, hopefully even a useful one (yes Griffon's, I'm looking at you !!!)

Did I achieve my goals? No, yes yes and no.

No, because I did let the Zod God down by only having a mediocre score. Yes, because I leveled my PitBarb from 81 to 87. Yes, because I found 2 grailers, bringing me to -14. No, because none of those 2 was a useful one like Griffon's, Windforce or CoA.

I did have fun though. Not so much early on, as I knew I wouldn't have much time to run, and I needed to start out by doing some rerolling after I realized that my Pit map wasn't good enough. The map I eventually settled on wasn't top notch either, and I lost interest in the PitBarb rather fast. What did it for me was converting a Sorc to 3 Tal's Blizz Sorc and start running AT. The map wasn't that great either, but I had fun and found some good items doing so. After a while I also returned to the Barb, and for some strange reason the boss density seemed much, much better that time, making me enjoy those runs as well. In the end I did 400 Pit runs and 331 AT runs, in a bit less than 13 hours of actual running and then some more for rerolling. I actually only would have had time for 7 or 8 hours, but a few short nights and playing sessions at times where I should have been doing other stuff increased that amount a bit ;).

Ok, drops. Unlike many or even most others no HRs, not even close, with a Pul from the special chest at AT my highest.

I ran the first, bad Pit map, some 25 times right at midnight, at the start of the MFO. Got a few qualifiers in those runs, this one being the best:

1595266807260.png

While rerolling maps on Friday, I already found a 10+ item, so I definitely had a good start:

1595266832484.png

The luck would continue, as in the 100 runs I would do that afternoon, I also got Stone Crusher, Aldur's body armor, then Nat's Mark and Steelrend in one fight with two or three boss packs closely together:

1595266861316.png

Actually, I couldn't see the Steelrend's on the floor, good thing there's the 'show item' button, so that I saw it dropping.

Other items in those 100 first runs were Halaberd's Reign, ...

1595266882935.png

... Shadowkiller, Steel Shade, Infernal Cranium and the incredible Barb Circlet I posted about earlier:

1595266909663.png

So 3 10+ pointers and some decent items to complete my top 5 in less than 2 hours made me optimistic about my score, and determined to squeeze in whatever time I would be able to find.

On Monday I would continue with the Barb, but quite rapidly run out of steam with him and switch to the AT Sorc. Blizz Sorcs have always been and will probably stay my favourite build in D2 SP, so I was having a lot of fun from then on. In the afternoon I found Firelizard's, a second Ondal's (slight score upgrade at that time) and a Pul. In the evening I did more runs, netting me Griswold's Valor, Marrowwalk, The Gladiator's Bane and Spirit Ward, another slight upgrade. I also got the Sorc from 81 in the morning to 86 when I stopped playing. Blizz Sorcs definitely level faster than PitBarbs, even when only really focusing on boss packs :).

On Thursday, after some help from @Albatross here on the forums, I switched my Sorc's setup a bit, using Isted DF instead of HotO and Trang's gloves instead of Chance Guards. That increased my damage, with faster kills as a result. Drops weren't great, but I did find my first grailer, Medusa's Gaze, so that was at least one goal achieved.

For some reason I decided to try out the PitBarb again later that evening, and to my surprise it felt like boss density was much, much better that time. So I decided to focus on him again, since he should be the better mf character by far. That evening I only found a second Shadow Killer and a second Nat's Mark though.

On Friday afternoon I continued with the Barb, getting quite good drops in about 2 hours time: Wizard Spike, Lightsabre, Stoneraven, IK Maul (only 1 the entire MFO !!!), Bonehew, Death's gloves, Vidala's Ambush, Tal's Armor and 2 score upgrades, giving me all 9.3+ items:

1595266961302.png

1595266995468.png

The Barb hit level 87 in that session.

Then I switched to the Sorc again until she was level **, finding Arkaine's Valor and Ghostflame. Nice, but not a score upgrade anymore at that point.

1595267025152.png

In the evening I continued with the Barb, finding Executioner's Justice, my second grailer, ...

1595267059474.png

... and Nightwing's Veil in the first 5 minutes. The Nightwing's got a very nice roll btw:

Code:
Nightwing's Veil
Spired Helm
Defense: 308
Durability: 22 of 40
Required Level: 67
Required Strength: 96
Fingerprint: 0x99821948
Item Level: **
Version: Expansion 1.10+
+2 to All Skills
+15% to Cold Skill Damage
+93% Enhanced Defense
+18 to Dexterity
+8 Cold Absorb
Half Freeze Duration
Requirements -50%

The rest of the evening I got lots of yellow Druid Pelts and Necro Heads, but unfortunately no golden ones.

On Saturday I did a few more runs, but interest was going down fast and the itch to continue my 99ers became bigger and bigger, so I decided to call it quits there.

All in all drops certainly weren't bad considering the time spent. Unfortunately no high end items like DWeb, DFathom or the like to boost my score some more.

1595267093169.png

Thanks @PhineasB for hosting !!! And thanks @Grape for teaming up with me. Too bad I couldn't find that Tyrael's for us, but I'm sure that if there is ever a RFO type of tournament with teams, we'll be impossible to beat ;).

Hmm, have we ever had such a thing? RFO, where one can choose between 3 categories (Cows, areas, Travincal?) and with possible team making? Could be a thing ...

@NanoMist - Insane. Huge congrats!
@TheNix - Also Insane. Well done!
@PhineasB - Congrats to you too on the category win!

Awesome job to everyone else, some really decent finds in there. :)

--

I did all running for this MFO with my untwinked 99er-to-be Fire Druid in the Ancient Tunnels. He ran entirely on /p8 with just a shade over 240% MF and although I didn't keep track of hours, he ran enough to get him from exactly 94 to exactly 95. Having just found an Astreon's right before the MFO, and the fact that he is not a super efficient runner I just assumed all my luck had been used up for the next little while. Apparently I was wrong.

Started off pretty quick with his first decent qualifire in Gargoyle's Bite.

After that it was radio silence for a while with anything major until just over halfway through the set when:

JZjZOAE.jpg

He immediately followed that up with Nat's Mark, and then a 5+ pointer in Firelizard's Talon. The finds slowed for a bit with only some mid-tier stuff dropping such as Trang's Shield, Bonehew, and Kiras, and then about 3/4 of the way through his running he had another huge shock:

l78woiS.jpg

Absolutely stunned at that point, there was one small surprise left with a third 10+ pointer right at the end in Steelrends. That pushed Klaus' score over 80, which was just icing on the cake at that point.

All in all a very good MFO for him and I'm more than pleased with a 3rd place score. He didn't find a ton of stuff, but luckily for him the stuff he did find was quite good!

--

Thanks of course to @PhineasB for hosting, and to all the runners for the fun times! I didn't have as much forum time to browse and theorycraft as I would have liked, but I've got lots of reading to catch up on now at least. :) Gogo SPF!!

EDIT: No item claiming happening by me.

Very nice results! Congrats all, especially our winners of course :) All of them had a really great score, especially @NanoMist ! Grats for that Tyrael's!

I missed the first weekend and played only little during the week days. When I got home from work on last Friday, my only TC87 was that Winged Harpoon. Considering this, and that I played with a really laid-back build (Fire drood, not too optimized I think) running P7 Pindle and picking tons of magics and rares, I'm really quite pleased with my score.

1595267179257.png
Not that bad haul for (almost) only one weekend!

When I started I saw no white pixels in my exp bar, and I was level 94. My goal was to hit 95 during this, didn't feel like madly pushing towards that on Sunday evening anymore, I kind of expected to not fight for top 3 anyway at that point. So... maybe around 2,5k runs total? Very rough estimate, I didn't use run counter this time.

Highest runes were Pul and Um, no interesting eth Uniques... (or grailers!), only slightly interesting rares, and no good charms or jewels. So a bit meh on that side, but it was all fun nonetheless.

Repeating my thanks here again for everyone included! Let us continue to have many, many MFOs more! It's a fine tradition indeed :)

After getting my sorceress the rest of the way to 94, I decided to take a break from concentrated running for a while. I have a L81 Fishymancer in A3 hell that is just waiting to become a patriarch, so I started working towards that goal. Within 15 min of walking into the jungle, this happened.

2wmgqw5.jpg

Apparently if you can't find something in 25-30 hours of fast paced AT running, you just need to slowly meander through the jungle and it will immediately drop.

3010 runs with 54% Hork:
1595267247285.png

My top 5 qualifiers:
Code:
Astreon's Iron Ward
Caduceus
One Hand Damage: 133 - 155
Durability: 66 of 70
Required Level: 60
Required Strength: 97
Required Dexterity: 70
Fingerprint: 0x9342bcf2
Item Level: 86
Unidentified
+4 to Combat Skills (Paladin Only)
+10% Increased Attack Speed
261% Enhanced Damage
Damage +75
153% Bonus to Attack Rating
+150% Damage to Undead
Adds 80 - 240 Magic Damage
33% Chance of Crushing Blow
Slows Target by 25%
Damage Reduced by 5

Crown of Ages
Corona
Defense: 366
Durability: 29 of 50
Required Level: 82
Required Strength: 174
Fingerprint: 0x652d65e8
Unidentified
Indestructible
+1 to All Skills
+30% Faster Hit Recovery
+50% Enhanced Defense
+117 Defense
All Resistances +29
Damage Reduced by 10%
2 Sockets (0 used)

Griffon's Eye
Diadem
Defense: 234
Durability: 10 of 20
Required Level: 76
Fingerprint: 0x940e0e3c
+1 to All Skills
+25% Faster Cast Rate
-16% to Enemy Lightning Resistance
+12% to Lightning Skill Damage
+182 Defense

Executioner's Justice
Glorious Axe
Two Hand Damage: 205 - 425
Durability: 25 of 50
Required Level: 75
Required Strength: 164
Required Dexterity: 55
Fingerprint: 0x5e8a4020
Unidentified
50% Chance to cast level 6 Decrepify when you Kill an Enemy
+30% Increased Attack Speed
243% Enhanced Damage
-33% Target Defense
25% Chance of Crushing Blow

Windforce
Hydra Bow
Two Hand Damage: 35 - 472
Durability: 37 of 55
Required Level: 73
Required Strength: 134
Required Dexterity: 167
Fingerprint: 0xfb0c9a4a
Unidentified
+20% Increased Attack Speed
250% Enhanced Damage
+234 to Maximum Damage (Based on Character Level)
6% Mana stolen per hit
Knockback
+10 to Strength
+5 to Dexterity
Heal Stamina Plus 30%

Full list of qualifiers I picked up. I left most set items and lower uniques on the ground though. In the end I almost left everything when I needed only higher scoring items. I didn’t pick up charm, rares, gems or jewels.

Andariel's Visage
Astreon's Iron Ward
Bonehew x2
Cranebeak (left about three more)
Crown of Ages
Demon Limb
Demon's Arch
Executioner's Justice
Firelizard's Talons
Gimmershred x2
Griffon's Eye
Harlequin Crest