Meleemancer Guide - Preliminary version

This thread hasn't been updated in a long time, I kinda liked it too... :\

I was thinking - maybe you could use a Brand bow (like the brandmancers, hoorah), but instead turn into a bear using Beast (on switch, or in your stash and have a +3 bone armor white on switch with homunculus). You'd spew synergised bone spears everywhere, and have deadly strike...and damage to demons - while in coolio Bear Mode with your bone armor [and fade from treachery if you want to precast!] hm.

nickedoff said:
This thread hasn't been updated in a long time, I kinda liked it too... :\

Problem is my PC doesn’t allow me to play any game at the moment. There are some things I want to test before I submit the final portion of the guide. Recommendations are, of course, always welcome.

nickedoff said:
I was thinking - maybe you could use a Brand bow (like the brandmancers, hoorah), but instead turn into a bear using Beast (on switch, or in your stash and have a +3 bone armor white on switch with homunculus). You'd spew synergised bone spears everywhere, and have deadly strike...and damage to demons - while in coolio Bear Mode with your bone armor [and fade from treachery if you want to precast!] hm.

Trying to range attack while in Bear-form makes you do a melee attack. The Spear is not that useful close-up. Interesting idea though. I'll need to try it once.

the "bug" where when you select the psn dagger skill on a necro, even if it is red, you still get the ar bonus.

Well I'm sure this is too old to be replying to but a couple thoughts I had on it.

1.Part or all of the cleglaws set is great for a low level melemancer especially the gloves if you have a little poison working.

2. Unless I missed it or (forgot it reading 10 pages of replies), Hit causes monster to flee is a great mod for a poison dagger version, stab them once move to the next.

3.Knockback is underrated for a meleemancer with a range 5 weapon with a decent ar it's like a free swing.

Absolutely excellent guide, read it twice to absorb it all,(couple drinks messed with recall). I'd have to add most of the replies all 11 pages were constructive and added to the overall. I want to try this with a gimmershred so I can melee or throw as the need arises. My thoughts with it is with the gambit of curses decrep, life tap, dim, and LR could be one of the best overall choices for versatility. Throw in goreriders for the obvious reasons and make a serious killing machine.

Just my $.02:idea: :thumbsup: :drunk:

If I'm lugging around a 4 socket shield, I want to be able to block with it. Phoenix does nothing to help the poor block rate on the shields.

If I'm lugging around a 4 socket shield, I want to be able to block with it. Phoenix does nothing to help the poor block rate on the shields.

yes it's harder to block , however you will get life and mana each time 1 monster is down, doesn't bone armor protect you enough in pvm?

yes it's harder to block , however you will get life and mana each time 1 monster is down, doesn't bone armor protect you enough in pvm?

Yes, BA, BW and BP with the AI curses and Decrep do protect you very well. And that is precisely why I value Phoenix less. Meleemancers don't have a lot of health. They need to do everything to stay alive. So you are already avoiding most of the damage. The healing provided by Redemption isn't that much of a boon. It helps against elemental attacks.

IK Maul, especially with other bits of the set makes for a good weapon. Not necessarily the best endgame weapon, but very useable. Cheap too.

IK Maul, especially with other bits of the set makes for a good weapon. Not necessarily the best endgame weapon, but very useable. Cheap too.
how about using IK Mauls and all the other epieces of the IK sets? (except the helm of coz)

That set has some sweet bonusses for the Meleemancer. Some AR, IAS, FHR and other useful stuff. Very workable.

I built this in SP a few nights ago. Nightmare Act 2 Defensive Merc., Clay Golem, and Decrepify slowed things way down! My killing speed wasn't much to brag about, but there weren't any situations that were out of my control. Thanks for the cool ideas, Mad Mantis!

A Simple question, using a Beast Runeword, while on werebear form, could you cast any curse?

Beast:
Level 9 Fanaticism Aura When Equipped
+40% Increased Attack Speed
+240-270% Enhanced Damage (varies)
20% Chance of Crushing Blow
25% Chance of Open Wounds
+3 To Werebear
+3 To Lycanthropy
Prevent Monster Heal
+25-40 To Strength (varies)
+10 To Energy
+2 To Mana After Each Kill
Level 13 Summon Grizzly (5 Charges)

A Beast 2H wep like Silver Edged Axe you can reach AS BP with 56% more IAS. It has great dmg, attack speed, attack rating bonus, Crushing blow, Open Wounds, prevent monster heal(i always like this one) +Strg 4 dmg, +Energy 4 mana, some mana reg with +2mana per kill, aura bonus 4 your minions and a Grizzly as a new addition to you minion.

Even that i think you cant cast curses while bear, would work great with as a Frontline General.

You, a might Act2 Merc,a clay golem, something like 10 Skellys and a Grizzly.

Sadly i`m already working on my Dark Ranger, but i think as soon i find/make a Ber rune, i will try it...

THere's a lot of good, in-depth tactical information. I like how you took the time to explain how the build works in combat, very helpful. However, where's the meat and potatoes? I see no item choices or selection added and I find a lot of the information very broad. I could have told you how OW and CB worked in '02 >.<, I could go cut/paste the tables & equations from arreat in 2 seconds... I'd almost suggest cutting that out and placing a link, it just sorta drags the guide on since most ppl are beyond trivial paragraph explanations of that.

Also, all that information begs for a table of contents and a little less sloppy run-on paragraphs. I can see it being a very kickass guide once it's organized a little bit, it's brevity, short and sweet.

Another thing, you mention stuff like using Passion against iron maiden and such. At best, with 25%ias that'll hit 15fpa, far too slow. Even an azurewrath with 50%ias will provide far better elemental/magic damage and swing far faster. The poison dagger glitch is a good idea, putting points in that, I like that though. IK maul is far too much strength... 225? You'll have no life or dexterity at all, that shouldn't even be regarded as a possibility especially with the fragileness of necros.

This post actually caught my eye when I saw it 'cause I really really wanted to build a combat necro for quite a while like this so I was pretty syked... but with no gear choices or nothin' it pretty much left me with not a lot :[

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High