Meleemancer Guide - Preliminary version

Good to see you finally finished the guide :clap: :clap:

I've got a basic one that I've been working on, but he's only about level 25 right now, too many other projects to do.

If your going to add a twinker item section, I would advise doing it like souless, where he listed the items from best to worst and gave a nice description of each. When will you be updating your guide?

If your going to add a twinker item section, I would advise doing it like souless, where he listed the items from best to worst and gave a nice description of each. When will you be updating your guide?

Necrochild313 said:
Ribcracker!

Ph34r t3h 1337 Eth up'd zod'd cracker!

Nice guide. Now that someone has posted a guide for a Meleemancer, I would like to suggest a weapon probably never mentioned before and probably no one picks up!!!
I give you.........

Grim's Burning Dead
Grim Scythe
Two-Hand Damage: (72-84) To (168-196) (120-140 Avg)
Required Level: 45
Required Strength: 70
Required Dexterity: 70
Durability: 55
Base Weapon Speed: [-10]
+140-180% Enhanced Damage (varies)
Adds 131-232 Fire Damage
+3 To Necromancer Skill Levels
-50% Target Defense
+20% Enhanced Defense
+200-250 To Attack Rating (varies)
Fire Resist +45%
Requirements -50%
Attacker Takes Damage of 8

Some AR problems solved, decent damage, +3 to skills, can you say "GRIM REAPER NECRO!!" I was gonna make a Bone/Melee Necro with this weapon but I rarely find it.

You lose heavily with that weapon, no block, res, DR, and the other great mods of a shield. And block is just shy of "must have" for a meleemancer.

Slipin said:

Probably in the course of the next week. Things have been rather busy for me.

Slipin said:
And block is just shy of "must have" for a meleemancer.

If you get your FHR and BA up, then block is not so much an issue. Just use the curses and the two-handed path becomes very viable.

He rickcarson,

Here is the answer to your post in the “My mercmancer/MF mancer†thread. Since I couldn’t send you a PM I thought it best that we discussed this in my guide thread instead of hijacking darnocpdx’s thread.

rickcarson said:
Just reading through it... and I can't quite figure out why having a huge mob (from Attract) would be a problem...?? you have crowd control out the wazoo (as it were). Bone Prison, Terror, Confusion, Dim Vision.

After getting some feedback on that in the thread I needed to do some more testing and some re-writing. Most of my views regarding Attract came from Norm when I found it relatively dangerous to use. But in NM and Hell it became less of an issue. I need to rewrite the Attract section. If you have any ideas I’d happily include them.

rickcarson said:
I found a Spineripper a couple of months back, and its been sitting there waiting for a Necro to claim it. Problem is, the damage looks kind of low (high if there were some combat skills to boost it, but with no +ED from skills, all damage is gonna look weak).

Depending on how perfect your Spineripper is you are going to be doing damage in the range of 69 to 146 with a max of 99 to 186 with 150 strength. Remember that Strength is the only way to boost your physical damage. Every +1 Strength = 1% Damage.
If you upgrade your Spineripper the damage will be 178 to 343 with a max of 222 to 409 with 150 strength.
Then you get added damage from things like Might and Amp. The damage is not that high, but it is just a Dagger.

rickcarson said:
Anyways, I'm wondering if Terror works on the Oblivion Knights? Or is it counted as an AI curse?

It alters the behaviour of a targeted monster. As such it is an AI curse and doesn’t work on OK’s.

Mad Mantis said:
Remember that Strength is the only way to boost your physical damage. Every +1 Strength = 1% Damage.
I don't think this is correct. Spineripper is a dagger and they get a bonus from 0.75 dexterity and 0.75 strength (as do throwing weapons wielded in combat). Mad Mantis, check out this excellent site http://www.hut.fi/~tgustafs/weapondamage.html and maybe reference it in your guide.

This is why in my opinion a dagger weilding Meleemancer should have max block. The dexterity increases block, damage and AR all in one package... add a good skill like PD and you have a perfect Meleemancer ;) Well the only sort I'll ever build.

JoJeck said:
I don't think this is correct. Spineripper is a dagger and they get a bonus from 0.75 dexterity and 0.75 strength (as do throwing weapons wielded in combat).

Thanks for the excellent site JoJeck. :thumbsup: I never knew that. Great info.

Mad Mantis said:
He rickcarson,

Here is the answer to your post in the “My mercmancer/MF mancer†thread. Since I couldn’t send you a PM I thought it best that we discussed this in my guide thread instead of hijacking darnocpdx’s thread.

Ola! I'd have done the same, except once I read this thread, and took my Overlord Patriarch for a spin in Normal, I'd answered most of my questions.

If you upgrade your Spineripper the damage will be 178 to 343 with a max of 222 to 409 with 150 strength.
Then you get added damage from things like Might and Amp. The damage is not that high, but it is just a Dagger.

Hey, I'd love to upgrade it, but its already an exceptional, and exceptional upgrades only work on the ladder, so far as I am aware.

My general impression from playing melee characters is that even 500 damage just isn't enough. Even small things you have to stand there beating on all day.

Heck, even my pimped out Burrizon can't do well in Act One Hell, and she stomped 1.09 into the ground. :(

It alters the behaviour of a targeted monster. As such it is an AI curse and doesn’t work on OK’s.

As I discovered. I was very disappointed with Terror, especially against fast moving mobs (and frankly, who cares about anything else) its small radius was really really bad.

Of course, if my idea had come off, and I'd ended up building a char based on Terror... there'd have been certain 'issues' with giving it the obvious name...

rickcarson said:
My general impression from playing melee characters is that even 500 damage just isn't enough. Even small things you have to stand there beating on all day.

You can get more damage than that. Even with a Dagger. The results shown earlier didn't include the fact that Daggers get a bonus from both Str and Dex. But don't expect a Meleemancer to deal out enormous amounts of damage.

rickcarson said:
As I discovered. I was very disappointed with Terror, especially against fast moving mobs (and frankly, who cares about anything else) its small radius was really really bad.

You need to force the enemy to make an AI decision before the Terror kicks in. Usually this means some moving around. But I find it very handy for clearing doors and thinning monster packs.

Mad Mantis said:
You need to force the enemy to make an AI decision before the Terror kicks in. Usually this means some moving around. But I find it very handy for clearing doors and thinning monster packs.

I was thinking a no blockers Lord Of Mages. They run up to beat up the Mages, you Terror them. Rinse and Repeat. Sadly, the radius on Terror is pathetically small. Far too small :rant: by far.

Chinesef00d said:
Nice guide. Now that someone has posted a guide for a Meleemancer, I would like to suggest a weapon probably never mentioned before and probably no one picks up!!!
I give you.........

Grim's Burning Dead
Grim Scythe
Two-Hand Damage: (72-84) To (168-196) (120-140 Avg)
Required Level: 45
Required Strength: 70
Required Dexterity: 70
Durability: 55
Base Weapon Speed: [-10]
+140-180% Enhanced Damage (varies)
Adds 131-232 Fire Damage
+3 To Necromancer Skill Levels
-50% Target Defense
+20% Enhanced Defense
+200-250 To Attack Rating (varies)
Fire Resist +45%
Requirements -50%
Attacker Takes Damage of 8

Some AR problems solved, decent damage, +3 to skills, can you say "GRIM REAPER NECRO!!" I was gonna make a Bone/Melee Necro with this weapon but I rarely find it.
I'm so glad you mentioned this. I have just found one and it seems to be THE weapon a meleemancer should have even if only on his weapon switch and only used to enter multiplayer games in style. The weapon may not be the best ... but it sure looks the best, and by a mile, on any Necro. Could be upgraded for extra damage and requirements -50% makes it useable. The bonus AR and the -50% Target Defence will help with chance to hit problems. And it is a range 5 weapon so you can poke their eyes out from a safe distance or even outside a bone prison.

Let me re-phrase my previous vow, if I make a meleemancer it will be armed with a dagger or a Grim Scythe, accept no substitute. This character has to be all about style... :lol:

JoJeck said:
Let me re-phrase my previous vow, if I make a meleemancer it will be armed with a dagger or a Grim Scythe, accept no substitute. This character has to be all about style... :lol:

It is indeed a very good weapon for a Meleemancer and will most definitely be included.

Style is important. I tend to try and make runewords in the coolest looking weapon not necessarily the highest damage weapon. I mean, what is 20 more damage when you look like a dork?

I have always taken a slightly different route with my meleemancer and that is extensive use of LR and useing lots of elemental damage. For me the weapon(s) of choice are Blackbogs with Trangs (if ya got the gloves and another piece) and Barnard's star with Homu or a rhymed shield. Typically I'd cast Dim over a crowd cat LR (nice that it's radius doesn't grow with levels) on one or two victoms, weapons switch to Barnard's and goto town. With a build like this one there are no immunes, and if you get a second barnards and an Act 5 barb you'll lwalk through most the game.

Also not so good for hell but IM does work well in norm and most of nightmare, especially if you build up your Clay Golemn. You can even take on Durry and Meph with minimual golemn recasts. Particularly helpfully in area's where there are lots of fast hard to target types that tend to hit preaty hard but have little HP, like Flayers.

Also one of my favorite helms is Nadir (yes that level 13 noone uses but me runeword helm). The cloak of shadows is a nice addition in that you can now use dim and use some other large radius curse (to locate the beasts since even your screen goes black, weaken has the largest base radius) to pick out the beasts while still keeping them "in the dark" so to speak. Though it's not as effective as dim it will get te job done, and allow you to keep them still and curse them at the same time.

darnocpdx said:
Also one of my favorite helms is Nadir (yes that level 13 noone uses but me runeword helm).

Sometimes I use it as well. Mostly before I can get my DV to an acceptable level. It is not a bad helm if you use it correctly.

Mad Mantis said:
Sometimes I use it as well. Mostly before I can get my DV to an acceptable level. It is not a bad helm if you use it correctly.

I've tried using it on my latest Cleric. I knew it was NefTir so I just bought the first two socket helm from (that cheating biotch) in Act 2. But she ripped me off because the runeword didn't work! (It was a helm 'of the mechanic'.... D'oh!!!)

I end up with so much going on that I never use the Cloak of Darkness. Even though on paper its fantastic (especially when I'm busy standing in front of the monsters frantically biffing hammers at them (all the undead already having been killed))... in practice there is only so much that my poor abused reactions can handle.

I know I *should* use it more in the tough fights, but I get overwhelmed.

Okay, I just wanted to ask, is it for certain that the PDagger bug no longer works? If so, what are some other ideas to increase AR?

My lvl 69 Meleemancer has an AR of 10xx. He wields a Lightsaber, Homunculus, and has a Demon Limb on switch. In Act1 Hell, I have a 50% chance to hit a goblin. Any advice on how to increase AR? I just don't like Demon Limb because the charges are expensive...

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High