Meleemancer Guide - Preliminary version

Crushing Blow isn't all that great when using "attack" (Passion phase blade would be awsome for the crushing blow fiends)

Passion phase blade would be awsome for the crushing blow fiends, plus it has built in physical immune killing power (and Iron Maiden avoidance)

for a golem heavy build Marrowwalks are an option

Great guide :winner:

btw, if need be, my realm necro with 20 CG/20GM is yours for testing

I found attract to be not so useful. Just seems easier/better to walk in a room, DV everything, then decrep who you want to fight. Amp for physical immunes and lifetap when your merc is having troubles.

Those are really the only curses I found all that useful.

CEG said:
They are so busy fighting each other that you can focus on the few closest to you safely and use CE to take the group down to a smaller size. I just find attract to be very useful and have never had problems in all my testing with it bringing in to many monsters.

Using CE in combo with Attract has always been a powerful tool, but it detracts too much from the melee feel for my taste.
I'll rewrite the section on Attract and will try to include some more info on strategies. I'll also see how Attract works in combo with DV and as a replacement.
Thanks for the heads up.

CEG said:
Possibly 5-10 points should be plenty and with a larger focus on mastery he will be a great tank. Also gaining resists (esp going 2 hand) is hard and having a golem immune to ele and taking all that damage can be a real life saver. Plus even if he dies (or you die) a few points in summon resist will you to use a lower res all item and still achieve high res if not immunity.

Let me play around a bit with the skill calculator and the tactics from 1.09 and then I will rewrite the IG section as well. It will probably come down to a preference decision. What do you like more Clay or IG? Kind of like how Attract and Dim Vision will turn out.
And if you are able to get your hands on some good equipment with some good procing mods and resists, it just might be worth it to curse a group with Weaken. This will not affect their swing speed, ensuring that the procing will happen alot, but it will help the survival of your Golem.

memememe173 said:
Passion phase blade would be awsome for the crushing blow fiends, plus it has built in physical immune killing power (and Iron Maiden avoidance)

Just be sure to use passion mainly with the Berserk. The HBT mod and the HCMtF mod can become quite a nuisance.

memememe173 said:
for a golem heavy build Marrowwalks are an option

Although I really do not like bugs, if it turns out people want it, I'll include the darn boots in the equipment section and mention them for certain builds. Probably the CE-variants and the Very Heavy Golem builds could use them effectively.

Marrowwalks are definitely a bug. Though I disagree with not using poison dagger. First of all its been around so long, that they obviously want it to be a feature of the necro, or else they would have changed it by now. Secondly, unlike the marrowalks, using PD requires you actually invest in the skill. So even if it really was a bug, its still a bug you have to invest in to use.

BTW Mantis, creative title lol.

Mad Mantis said:
Although I really do not like bugs, if it turns out people want it, I'll include the darn boots in the equipment section and mention them for certain builds. Probably the CE-variants and the Very Heavy Golem builds could use them effectively.
I knew that :eek:...I just forget to word it differently when I posted :(

Demon Limb would be a very very useful twinky item

ArcticSpectre said:
Marrowwalks are definitely a bug. Though I disagree with not using poison dagger. First of all its been around so long, that they obviously want it to be a feature of the necro, or else they would have changed it by now. Secondly, unlike the marrowalks, using PD requires you actually invest in the skill. So even if it really was a bug, its still a bug you have to invest in to use.

Something prevents me from using the PDagger bug. I know most people do not see it as a bug, it is a psychological thing. If only Blizz renamed it Poison Weapon or something similar.
I have included the bug in the PDagger description and everybody is welcome to use it. A good tool to increase your AR. It should make your Meleemancing life easier.

ArcticSpectre said:
BTW Mantis, creative title lol.

/me is a huge fan of Charles Darwin.

memememe173 said:
Demon Limb would be a very very useful twinky item

It is and will be included.

Mad Mantis said:
Strategies

Commandomancer

Historically this build was called the Frontline General. The build described below is almost the same as the historic Frontline General. However since patch 1.10 and the guide made by TheKbob, calling it the Commandomancer feels better.

Curses
Amplify Damage = 1
Dim Vision = 13
Weaken = 1
Iron Maiden = 1
Terror = 1
Life Tap = 1
Decrepify = 10
Poison & Bone
Teeth = 1
Bone Armor = 1
Corpse Explosion = 1
Bone Wall = 1
Bone Prison = 20
Bone Spear = 1

Summoning
Skeleton Mastery = 20
Raise Skeleton = 20
Clay Golem = 1
Golem Mastery = 1
Summon Resist = 1

Tactics
This build relies on the Skeletons for extra damage and crowd control. These minions will probably do most of the killing. Because of the large number of targets presented to monsters, the Bone Armor synergies and curse duration can be lower.

The preferred Merc for this build is an Act-II Might Desert Mercenary. He will give you, your Skeletons and himself a huge boost in damage.

Special notion goes out to the original Commandomancer made by TheKbob. His Commandomancer deviates on several points with the above mentioned build. The guide is entertaining and a good read. Definitely look into it.
For those interested in the historic term, his build can be accurately classified as an Aura-enhanced Frontline General.

Hmm, I dont really use bone prison at all. It really is just a waste I think, nor do I need DV :p

And I max Magi :D

Other then that, glad you filled out parts that I told yah too and looks better than the one you sent me, so all in all good job.

And I am teh Itam :king:

Frontline General is just too long and too annoying to say. CommandoMancer flows, hence I decided to renaim it.

~Kbob

TheKbob said:
Hmm, I dont really use bone prison at all. It really is just a waste I think, nor do I need DV :p

And I max Magi :D

For the people without great gear, this will be a simple to play version of the Commandomancer. I did refer them to your guide, and will include a link in the next version. I haven't linked to anything in this one.

I know exactly what you mean with bugs MM =(. I can't bring myself to use the PD or Marrow bugs. They really should have made it all weaps, kinda gyps us that asns get venom -_-
Very nice guide though sir, I will definately try of of these guys again (haven't played a meleemancer since waaaaay long ago).

Mad Mantis said:
Dim Vision is an excellent tool to prevent monsters from targeting you in the first place. The awareness radius of monsters is reduced to a mere one yard. Anything out their range does not get attacked. Archers can not attack. Shamans can not use their fire balls or resurrect their minions. Balrogs will not use their inferno attack. Any ranged attack will be useless. As an added benefit Dim Vision also stops monsters like Maggots and Flesh Spawners from forming offspring. You can then decide which monsters you want to engage and on what terms.
Terror is also a useful tool to stop monsters from targeting you. It causes monsters under its influence to run away. Not only will this make sure monsters do not target you, it is also helpful if monsters have already targeted you. When under the curse takes effect they will run away from you, assuming that they have not already engaged you in melee combat. So tough and large groups can be broken up by cursing a few monsters. Keep in mind that both Dim Vision and Terror do not work on Oblivion Knights, Champions and Act Bosses.
These were the tactics that I tried to use in the beginning with my melee necro but after getting into NM and Hell these tactics quickly fall apart. Attract becomes more important because it will still let you cast Decrep or Amp on the rest of the monsters. Terror is isn't as helpful as you make it sound if a monster targets you before you cast terror it won't be able to stop them from run up to you.

But you can raise his attacks to an acceptable speed of 10 frames per attack.
You can only raise some weapons attack speed that high.

uncreativereally said:
These were the tactics that I tried to use in the beginning with my melee necro but after getting into NM and Hell these tactics quickly fall apart. Attract becomes more important because it will still let you cast Decrep or Amp on the rest of the monsters.

For Hozze and me, these tactics worked very well. Decrep was only needed on the monsters that I actually wanted to battle. The rest were contend to just sit there and stare, or attack a BP.
But as with all tactics, it is a matter of personal preference. I already said to CEG that I would rewrite the Attract section.

uncreativereally said:
Terror is isn't as helpful as you make it sound if a monster targets you before you cast terror it won't be able to stop them from run up to you.

As with all the AI curses, Terror takes effect once the monster needs to make an AI decision. So a bit of movement on your part will cause the monster to have to make an AI decision, thus getting under the influence of Terror.

uncreativereally said:
You can only raise some weapons attack speed that high.

True, but I was stating a minimum. I'll rephrase this.

Excellent guide indeed. The process of demonic selection compels me to make a daggermancer....

-47thRonin

Just popped in to see if you managed to finish the guide MM, good to see you have! :thumbsup:

Great read as expected, and you even gave me credit... *Gives MM a big hug* :lol:

Hozze said:
Great read as expected, and you even gave me credit... *Gives MM a big hug* :lol:

He Hozze, great to see you again. :drink:

In a week or two, the equipment section should be done.

Khabarak said:
wats yardstick? :scratch:

Yardstick! Or as we Dutch like to call it, Duimstok!

It is a running gag between some of the regs and has given me some ideas to test while making my Meleemancer.

Great guide. After finding a Diggler Unique Dirk, I have been tempted to build a Daggermancer.

So it seems that the main tactic for a Daggermancer is to DV, then LR or Decrep, rush in and hit a few baddies, wait for them to die, and continue?

Heh. I wonder if I have that kind of patience. ;-)

Nightfalke said:
So it seems that the main tactic for a Daggermancer is to DV, then LR or Decrep, rush in and hit a few baddies, wait for them to die, and continue?

That is correct. You could also do a Nova before you rush in. Then you go from one baddie to the other, poking them all. Against softer targets, and depending on equipment, you can play like a "normal" Meleemancer and just whack away.

any chances that some IAS calculator or tables will be given for a meeleemencer pls?

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High