Matriarch BoltOnBoltOff, Charged Boltress

maareek

May 12, 2007
She's The Bolter.

I'd never made a Charged Boltress, but when Zenigma mentioned making one with his freshly made Infinity in the IFT a little while back it seemed like a reasonable way to put my new(ish) Infinity through its paces while also testing out a build I had no experience with. Probably wouldn't have bothered with a thread except I had recently read a comment by one of my favorite Youtube let's players (and by "one of my favorites" I mean "the only one I make time for anymore") saying his favored recording software was OBS so I decided to test that against what I had done before (FRAPS, along with the subsequent encoding). So basically this thread is just going to be some readouts and three videos. At least there's commentary!

In order to see how she'd fare as a pure Boltress, I didn't take a backup attack, so she currently has 30 skill points unassigned. Finds were a Gull, a Gul and a Felloak. She took 10 hours, 8 minutes and 17 seconds for which I mostly blame thinking I could play her at the same time as listening to various lectures and panel discussion videos on Youtube, as it turns out D2 characters are less interesting than discussions on nothing and Bill Nye getting fired up about math.

Leveling runs in the Pits, from before hitting 80. I didn't realize until I had uploaded this one that I had messed up in the settings (when I set it up to downscale 1080 into 720 it saved the scaling ratio, even when recording in 600p, and I didn't think to check that at first). There's some amount of random brain droppings that demonstrate my tenuous grasp on sanity, though, if you're into that kind of thing.

Some p5 Pit runs after getting the sorc and merc geared, or at least what I thought was finished at the time. Glorious 480p this time around, and I even show the gear, for those who go for that. Plus it's not as long, but still manages to preserve the awkward failness of the original.

p3/p8/p3 Baal run, with a little overview of the gear. Witness sub-par playing combined with statements that are, at times, obviously untrue!

Gear
Code:
Griffon's Eye
Diadem
Defense: 178
Durability: 20 of 20
Required Level: 76
Fingerprint: 0x4ed5dc8
Item Level: 88
Version: Expansion 1.10+
100% Chance to cast level 41 Nova when you Level-Up
+1 to All Skills
+25% Faster Cast Rate
Adds 1 - 74 Lightning Damage
-25% to Enemy Lightning Resistance
+15% to Lightning Skill Damage
+125 Defense
1 Sockets (1 used)
Socketed: Rainbow Facet

Rainbow Facet
Jewel
Required Level: 49
Fingerprint: 0xb76072c0
Item Level: 86
100% Chance to cast level 41 Nova when you Level-Up
Adds 1 - 74 Lightning Damage
-5% to Enemy Lightning Resistance
+3% to Lightning Skill Damage

Crescent Moon
Crystal Sword
ShaelUmTir
One Hand Damage: 14 - 44
Durability: 20 of 20
Required Level: 47
Required Strength: 43
Fingerprint: 0x1b89c795
Item Level: 45
10% Chance to cast level 17 Chain Lightning on striking
7% Chance to cast level 13 Static Field on striking
+20% Increased Attack Speed
196% Enhanced Damage
Ignore Target's Defense
-35% to Enemy Lightning Resistance
25% Chance of Open Wounds
+9 Magic Absorb
+2 to Mana after each Kill
Level 18 Summon Spirit Wolf (30/30 Charges)
3 Sockets (3 used)
Socketed: Shael Rune
Socketed: Um Rune
Socketed: Tir Rune

Spirit
Monarch
TalThulOrtAmn
Defense: 143
Chance to Block: 0
Durability: 85 of 86
Required Level: 54
Required Strength: 156
Fingerprint: 0xab1aec2a
Item Level: 85
+2 to All Skills
+35% Faster Cast Rate
+55% Faster Hit Recovery
+250 Defense vs. Missile
+22 to Vitality
+108 to Mana
Cold Resist +35%
Lightning Resist +35%
Poison Resist +35%
+5 Magic Absorb
Attacker Takes Damage of 14
4 Sockets (4 used)
Socketed: Tal Rune
Socketed: Thul Rune
Socketed: Ort Rune
Socketed: Amn Rune

Arachnid Mesh
Spiderweb Sash
Defense: 134
Durability: 12 of 12
Required Level: 80
Required Strength: 50
Fingerprint: 0xb7e511c
+1 to All Skills
+20% Faster Cast Rate
Slows Target by 10%
+114% Enhanced Defense
Increase Maximum Mana 5%
Level 3 Venom (11/11 Charges)

Skin of the Vipermagi
Serpentskin Armor
Defense: 279
Durability: 24 of 24
Required Level: 47
Required Strength: 43
Fingerprint: 0xe31b431c
+1 to All Skills
+30% Faster Cast Rate
+120% Enhanced Defense
All Resistances +48
Magic Damage Reduced by 10
1 Sockets (1 used)
Socketed: Um Rune

Mara's Kaleidoscope
Amulet
Required Level: 67
Fingerprint: 0xf66ac32b
+2 to All Skills
All Stats +5
All Resistances +29

War Traveler
Battle Boots
Defense: 120
Durability: 48 of 48
Required Level: 42
Required Strength: 95
Fingerprint: 0x35edf7ec
+25% Faster Run/Walk
Adds 15 - 25 Damage
+151% Enhanced Defense
+10 to Strength
+10 to Vitality
40% Slower Stamina Drain
Attacker Takes Damage of 6
46% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
+30 Maximum Durability

The Stone of Jordan
Ring
Required Level: 29
Fingerprint: 0xb4fa4ed
+1 to All Skills
Adds 1 - 12 Lightning Damage
+20 to Mana
Increase Maximum Mana 25%

Bul-Kathos' Wedding Band
Ring
Required Level: 58
Fingerprint: 0x656b14db
+1 to All Skills
4% Life stolen per hit
+42 to Life (Based on Character Level)
+50 Maximum Stamina

Laying of Hands
Bramble Mitts
Defense: 85
Durability: 12 of 12
Required Level: 63
Required Strength: 50
Fingerprint: 0xd9990c5e
Item Level: 87
10% Chance to cast level 3 Holy Bolt on striking
+350% Damage to Demons
+25 Defense
Fire Resist +50%

Call to Arms
War Scepter
AmnRalMalIstOhm
One Hand Damage: 36 - 62
Durability: 70 of 70
Required Level: 57
Required Strength: 55
Fingerprint: 0x56a9b202
GUID: 0x5a9ae240 0x6303b098 0x0
Version: Expansion
+2 to All Skills
+40% Increased Attack Speed
269% Enhanced Damage
+150% Damage to Undead
Adds 5 - 30 Fire Damage
7% Life stolen per hit
Prevent Monster Heal
+2 to Fist of the Heavens (Paladin Only)
+3 to Holy Shield (Paladin Only)
+1 to Conversion (Paladin Only)
+16 to Battle Command
+13 to Battle Orders
+13 to Battle Cry
Replenish Life +12
30% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
5 Sockets (5 used)
Socketed: Ral Rune
Socketed: Mal Rune
Socketed: Ist Rune
Socketed: Ohm Rune

Spirit
Monarch
TalThulOrtAmn
Defense: 137
Chance to Block: 0
Durability: 85 of 86
Required Level: 54
Required Strength: 156
Fingerprint: 0x1213c4ed
+2 to All Skills
+34% Faster Cast Rate
+55% Faster Hit Recovery
+250 Defense vs. Missile
+22 to Vitality
+109 to Mana
Cold Resist +35%
Lightning Resist +35%
Poison Resist +35%
+5 Magic Absorb
Attacker Takes Damage of 14
4 Sockets (4 used)
Socketed: Tal Rune
Socketed: Thul Rune
Socketed: Ort Rune

Charms
Code:
Shimmering Small Charm
Small Charm
Required Level: 25
Fingerprint: 0x2dbf64c7
All Resistances +3

Sparking Grand Charm of Inertia
Grand Charm
Fingerprint: 0x9130e571
Item Level: 80
+1 to Lightning Skills (Sorceress Only)
+7% Faster Run/Walk

Sparking Grand Charm of Life
Grand Charm
Fingerprint: 0x257a8eae
Item Level: 66
+20 to Life

Shimmering Grand Charm of Life
Grand Charm
Required Level: 27
Fingerprint: 0x6183429e
+18 to Life
All Resistances +14

Garnet Small Charm of Vita
Small Charm
Required Level: 39
Fingerprint: 0xa201c79f
+19 to Life
Fire Resist +8%

Shimmering Small Charm
Small Charm
Required Level: 25
Fingerprint: 0xcdfbfa9f
All Resistances +4

Coral Small Charm of Sustenance
Small Charm
Required Level: 20
Fingerprint: 0xcf1c3cac
Item Level: 45
+15 to Life
Lightning Resist +9%

Cobalt Small Charm of Vita
Small Charm
Required Level: 39
Fingerprint: 0x2c4a747e
+20 to Life
Cold Resist +9%

Sparking Grand Charm
Grand Charm
Fingerprint: 0x50fd039b

Serpent's Grand Charm of Sustenance
Grand Charm
Required Level: 53
Fingerprint: 0xcd36c385
+35 to Life
+51 to Mana

Serpent's Small Charm of Sustenance
Small Charm
Required Level: 40
Fingerprint: 0x7c225f73
Item Level: 82
+13 to Life
+16 to Mana

Sparking Grand Charm
Grand Charm
Fingerprint: 0x86e1b149

Amber Small Charm of Balance
Small Charm
Required Level: 32
Fingerprint: 0xcc412a81
+5% Faster Hit Recovery
Lightning Resist +10%

Merc
Code:
Andariel's Visage
Demonhead
Defense: 313
Durability: 10 of 20
Required Level: 83
Required Strength: 102
Fingerprint: 0x37978aca
15% Chance to cast level 15 Poison Nova when struck
+2 to All Skills
10% Life stolen per hit
+102% Enhanced Defense
+30 to Strength
+10% to Maximum Poison Resist
Fire Resist -30%
Poison Resist +70%
Level 3 Venom (3/20 Charges)

Duriel's Shell
Cuirass
Defense: 706
Durability: 150 of 150
Required Level: 41
Required Strength: 65
Fingerprint: 0x451407f7
+15% Increased Attack Speed
+196% Enhanced Defense
+106 Defense (Based on Character Level)
+15 to Strength
+85 to Life (Based on Character Level)
Cold Resist +30%
All Resistances +20
Cannot Be Frozen
+100 Maximum Durability
1 Sockets (1 used)
Socketed: Jewel of Fervor

Jewel of Fervor
Jewel
Required Level: 31
Fingerprint: 0xb0d8c872
+15% Increased Attack Speed

Infinity
Thresher
BerMalBerIst
Two Hand Damage: 85 - 1000
Durability: 33 of 33
Required Level: 63
Required Strength: 142
Required Dexterity: 108
Fingerprint: 0x23bb4c09
Version: Expansion
50% Chance to cast level 20 Chain Lightning when you Kill an Enemy
Level 12 Conviction Aura When Equipped
+35% Faster Run/Walk
374% Enhanced Damage
-49% to Enemy Lightning Resistance
40% Chance of Crushing Blow
Prevent Monster Heal
+42 to Vitality (Based on Character Level)
30% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
Level 21 Cyclone Armor (30/30 Charges)
Ethereal
4 Sockets (4 used)
Socketed: Ber Rune
Socketed: Mal Rune
Socketed: Ber Rune
Socketed: Ist Rune

Thanks to Nagisa for three of the Sparking skillers (the lifer I found), Rawness for the Amber SC of Balance and the Serpent's GC of Sustenance, and nulio for the facet in the Griffon's, the base for the Infinity and for originally sending the beta CtA to Nagisa. Thanks, again, to Nagisa and frozzzen for sending that stick my way.

And, of course, thanks to you for reading/watching/commenting/praying for my sanity. It is appreciated. No direct kpop this time around, but in case anyone is brave enough I'll include a link to the playlist on my channel just to sort of save face.

Congrats, I've made a Sparkler a couple of times and I've always loved how the build plays, but I've never had one as decked out as yours though.

I haven't finished mine yet! D:
Diablo 2 has taken a back seat to Heroes of the Storm for now... But mine is rolling through at /p8, so that's pretty neat to me. I think she's in act 4 now.

That thing is a killing machine, I definitely wouldn't like to play against her on MFO.

"She took 10 hours, 8 minutes and 17 seconds"

iHqx0EU.jpg

And, of course, thanks to you for reading/watching/commenting/praying for my sanity. It is appreciated. No direct kpop this time around, but in case anyone is brave enough I'll include a link to the playlist on my channel just to sort of save face.

bBR4lb5.jpg

Congrats maareek. You need a cheesy 1.07 MPK ring .... Nice to see Crescent Moon there too instead of the 200FCR stuff.

Nice sorc there maareek. While waiting for a Cham, you could always Ral your merc's helm. /p89 Baal runs are difficult enough as is. ;) Great commentary.

Nice Mat! I also liked the Crescent Moon. Not only is it a cool weapon, but it makes for some very interested related videos on YouTube... :D

Really liking all the bolts flying around.

What the hell are you doing in the throne??? You're teleporting everywhere to get out of trouble. Wouldn't it be easier to stand on the stairs so your merc only has to fight off one monster at a time?

Playlist i was first like the pic Grip posted. After listening for a bit i felt it wasn't so bad. Maybe if i listen some more i'll start to like it. :eek:

<nulio>you didnt even use teh 1.07 LoH I got you
<maareek>they're on my barb

I'll petition the admins to add a dislike button so I can dislike every reek post forever and ever and ever!

@TheNix: Thanks. To me the build is like Frost Nova or pure Glacial Spike: cool and fun to use but with enough issues I'm happy with the char being done when they're done.

@Zenigma: Awesome, good luck with finishing her up!

@Gripphon: Probably really slow compared to you multiple instances users, and as I alluded to even slow for me (should've been able to get to Baal at 85 1.5-2 hours earlier, but meh). More importantly, I'm very surprised that you realized Patrick Stewart is a big kpop fan; people think that was a look of derision, but in fact this song had just started up over the speakers and, it being the good captain's jam, he was about to get down.

@maxicek: I actually picked one up off nulio recently, but I didn't feel like I needed it here. I should've tried it out, though. And yeah, I tried out a 200FCR Lightning sorc years ago and didn't like it nearly as much as the ones that actually deal damage. ^^

@Zylo: Thanks. I actually have the Cham now, I'm just deciding on my future plans to see whether putting the rune in a merc helm or a Harley will be more useful going forward. And I need to farm up another socket quest before I can put anything in the Andy's, anyway, but you do have a point since I'm sure that with a Ral in the merc's helm I could jump up to at least /p95 runs. ;)

@BBS: Thanks. I'm all about making it so people have interesting related videos on Youtube. ;p

@Cyrax: I'm five years removed from Baal runs, but what I remember from then was standing on the stairs was what I wanted to do for waves 1-3, but waves 4-5 would tend to spread around the sides of the platform and get troublesome so I'd instead teleport into the main area and then port back gradually, funneling the monsters in to my attacks and dispatching them more quickly. I did neither of those things this video for two reasons: 1. I'm awful and 2. When my mouth starts working, my brain stops. Of course some would argue something must commence before it can cease, but I'm sticking to my story.

Sounds like you're coming down with an acute case of the kpop virus. There is only one known cure: moar kpop.

@nulio: It's important to have my barb at 100% readiness at all times, in case the world is in need of an Afterhorker. You wouldn't want me to leave the planet defenseless just because of one girl with a serious thing for static electricity, would you? ;p

and why do i find this video in the related suggestions?
Based on the writing in the background being something in the family of Arabic (I'm not familiar enough to make a more precise estimate) and "Crescent Moon" being in the title of my video I'm going to draw the inference that Youtube is suggesting videos in some way tagged as related with Islam (or Muslim or things along that line). Not all Muslims use the Crescent Moon and Star as a symbol or flag or banner or whatever term you wish to use, but a large number do and it's pretty much universally viewed from outside as a symbol of Islam, even though it has nothing to do with the faith originally, having reached that status only because Osman chose to appropriate Constantinople's flag as the Ottomans own after taking the city. The fact the Ottoman flag waved over almost all of the Muslim world for a few centuries probably explains why they're so closely linked, though.

really cool char! but why did you choose merc with thorns?
Thanks! Not thorns; might. In case thorns was a typo: to my mind Might is the only merc aura that helps a sorceress, so it's the only one I use.

Bah, I knew I should have finished my charged bolt/hydra sorc sooner! Now I'll just look like I'm trying to copy the great maareek. Nice job though, I would at least sink those extra skill points somewhere. I would say ES, but you don't seem to use it in your videos so maybe enchant for more merc damage just for lolz.

You can copy his sorc, why not. Copy her and make even better videos of her. Then you will be called great Pyro while Maareek will return to his god-like status.

Sounds like you're coming down with an acute case of the kpop virus. There is only one known cure: moar kpop.

*takes antidote*

You can copy his sorc, why not. Copy her and make even better videos of her. Then you will be called great Pyro while Maareek will return to his god-like status.

When did he get crowned to be a god?

@Pyrotechnician You still live! Where have you been?!!

*stops hyjacking thread*

Bah, I knew I should have finished my charged bolt/hydra sorc sooner! Now I'll just look like I'm trying to copy the great maareek. Nice job though, I would at least sink those extra skill points somewhere. I would say ES, but you don't seem to use it in your videos so maybe enchant for more merc damage just for lolz.
Yeah I'm not much of an ES fan, but enchant for the merc does sound pretty lol-worthy. Was figuring I'd dump points into having a weak FO back-up if I needed it, but the only PI/LI I ran across was Bremm and I didn't feel it was necessary (plus I just dislike FO) so I just decided saving them would be good for style points. A point (or maybe even more) in Shiver Armor wouldn't have been bad, either.

As for feeling like you were copying me, I offer 3 reasons to not worry about it:
1. Charged Bolt isn't exactly a new or completely unheard of build.
2. Having a backup makes it play differently than what I did
3. Most important of all, you'd be the first person ever in history to copy the "great" maareek. ;p So you'd still be an original (even moreso than you already are for being the first to refer to me as great ;))!

@Godrax: Grip has a tendency to call everyone inferior to him in play skill a god and of course that includes everyone.

Does this mean we all get the perks like money, fame and girls? OMG the girls! :rolleyes:

After listening to you playlist some more to it i decided that i like at least some of the songs, so i'll have to go through them to check which ones i like and which not so much.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High