March of the Doomed - Running Thread

Off-topic
Oh well I would, but as a political activist the coming months will be much devoted to the president elections here in France up to late April, then I will be co-candidate for the national assembly elections until mid June, so... my gaming time will be heavily impacted! I may have one character running + some xp runs here or there with my hammerdin.

I'll catch you all back later ;-)

Last edited:
NM Andy down
Screenshot288.png

Not much to say about Act 1. Picked up a 4os polearm for insight (got 2x sols in Act 5), found a pelta lunata and a gold wrap. Other than that just teleported through a lot of the act. Had a minor NDE with archers in the Jail - but otherwise nothing too difficult or interesting.

Code:
Act Damnation          Royal Seal used (skill only)
No1 Inferno            N
No2 Nova               N
No3 Fire Mastery       N
No4 Chain Lightning    N
No5 Energy Shield      N

NM1 -                  N
NM2 -                  N
NM3 -                  N
NM4 -                  N
NM5 -                  N

He1 -                  N
He2 -                  N
He3 -                  N
He4 -                  N

Reset used (if any)
Normal    during <Act>
Nightmare during <Act>
Hell      during <Act>

@Jcakes sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn't... well, real life can lead to dangerous HC moves.

Trying with a sorc is hazardous when not twinked IMO, we never have enough HP!!! However you tried...did you start @d2lover's Gamble tournament? ;-)

Nice to follow you up though :)

MacLeod took care of the Cow King to get his first Royal Seal, and after a successful hork, he spat out a total of 3 set items:

Screenshot021.png

Things went pretty smoothly in Act I NM. No gear upgrades found yet, but plenty of S/U items that got stashed. I found a Lum in the catacombs that can go into a future Smoke armor. After seeing I had over 50 stat points saved up, I decided to put another 25 into vitality. Things are hitting harder and my resistances are all below 50% right now.

Andariel was taken out and gave an abysmal drop:

Screenshot022.png

Ready for my next damnation.

Rich (BB code):
No1 Howl               N
No2 Polearm Mastery    N
No3 Battle Cry         N
No4 Grim Ward          N
No5 Battle Command     N

NM1 -                  N
NM2 -                  N
NM3 -                  N
NM4 -                  N
NM5 -                  N

He1 -                  N
He2 -                  N
He3 -                  N
He4 -                  N

Reset used (if any)
Normal    during <Act>
Nightmare during <Act>
Hell      during <Act>

Reactions: Babyhell
Act 1 started out fairly normal, with no major issues or drops. We found a 4 socket broad sword in the Cold Plains, which might be the earliest I've seen a potential spirit sword candidate. We also picked up a plain white Partizan here as well, which will be rolled for sockets in the cube once I find another Amn. I have one available, but I'm saving it in case I want to roll a spirit in the broad sword or a pally shield on the switch.

What would you know, but I ended up finding another Amn while clearing the Cave. Threw everything into the cube and prayed to the RNG gods...
Screenshot003.png

Score! This immediately became this:
Screenshot007.png

Terrible roll on the Meditation, but Insight in a partizan is a beast in early NM! Ilzan gratefully equipped his new beat stick, and we set back off on our journey. This was really needed. Our damage was definitely starting to lack, and facing boss packs of unleachables was tough on Ilzan. He perished a few times clearing out the Crypt and Mausoleum to skeleton boss packs when I wasn't quick enough with the Life Tap charges, so cranking up the damage should help.

Styke can't use the Insight partizan himself, but I'm tempted to boost dex a bit so that would be a possibility. I don't want to get too far ahead of myself, but we're already dreaming of how nice it would be to wield Obediance in something so we'd need the boost regardless.

We cubed our third perfect Topaz as we started the Black Marsh, so the 3 socket Artisans helm was finally completed. Styke is using this now for the MF boost, and Ilzan has the Tarnhelm. We'll see if we notice the difference giving up the extra skill. It's been a really nice boost for all the 1 point auras we've been using. That change brings our MF to 186 for Styke, 98 for Ilzan.

Grabbed an action shot of the team battling it out with Griswold. He wasn't dangerous to Ilzan with Life Tap up.
Screenshot009.png

The Tower had to be cleared pretty carefully. We hit a few CE archer boss packs, and Styke's health can drop fast if he takes a few arrows while chilled. Countess dropped Ort and Thul:
Screenshot011.png

I was finally able to gamble some gloves to replace the plain 25MF leather gloves of fortune. Styke is a little squishy right now with the large strength investment, so it's tough to have gear that only has MF but nothing else. The new gloves have 22MF, plus good cold and poison resistance.

Scored a 4 socket War Scythe in the Tamoe Highlands, so pending another Sol drop Styke and Ilzan could rock matching Insights. Styke can get to the dex requirements for the Partizan if I burn all the saved stat points I have right now, and equip a +5 dex large charm I've been keeping just in case.

We picked up a Bonesnap in the Pits Level 1. This is also now a candidate for upgrading if a Sol drops, though it only rolled 211ED which is a bummer.
Screenshot012.png

We're using it now as it represents a needed upgrade from the rare War Club. We are actually really grateful for the +resists on it as well as the damage and CB. I swapped out a MF/AR magic ring for the quest reward ring from Akara for rescuing Cain, which has 3 mana leach and a bit of MF/AR.

Styke had his first NDE in the Jail. We hit a double boss pack of ghosts and skeleton archers. The skeleton boss was Cursed and CE, the Ghosts were Extra Fast and Mana Burn. I made a mistake and tried to charge, but got mana burned before I could get it off which resulted in trying to do a normal attack with the Bonesnap while chilled, which takes forever...

I slammed pots and was able to get the attack off, then charged back the way I had come to get away. Charge can be a really nice tool for running away when needed. We got out with no rejuvs left and <100HP. We TPd to town, then came back and with good use of the Life Tap wand and separating the packs we were able to take them all out. It's probably time to add an extra row of rejuvs into the belt, especially since we are still using the Hsarus which only has the 3 slots.

Multishot Cursed Pitspawn was fun. I was able to get a good charge line on him when I got into his room, so Styke just charge chained him down in one chain. I think he only got off maybe 2 shots before he got charged and then couldn't do anything else.

Also grabbed an action shot of fighting the Smith. He can be knock backed, and any boss who can be knocked backed is toast against a charger.
Screenshot013.png

Ilzan was struggling by the end of the act with no life leach, so I decided to gamble a plate mail to craft a blood armor for him when we were in the Catacombs. I went to do the craft and realized I had muled off all my saved crafting jewels and I wasn't at a good point to stop and mule one back in. I hoped to find any jewel before the Andy fight but it was not meant to be. Regardless, keeping life tap up meant that the Andy fight wasn't a big deal. We swapped in all of our best MF gear when she was slivered and let Ilzan get the final hit, and didn't really get anything good to show for it (other than the jewel for crafting, which wasn't that helpful by this point).
Screenshot014.png

I went ahead and crafted the blood armor after this and it replaced Ilzan's 3 chipped topaz armor. We then went to Act 2 and Ilzan upgraded himself, becoming Ilzan the Holy Freeze merc. I still had some time available in the gaming session and wanted to press onward into Act 2, so I rolled my own damnation again. Thorns! Very pleased with that roll, as we definitely will not be using it and it means we only have to dodge Charge one more time before it's safe for the rest of NM.

Isenharts Helm - Den of Evil
Arctic Belt - Stony Field
Cathans Ring - Dark Wood
Gorefoot - Dark Wood
Anjelic Armor - Hole Level 1
Bonesnap - Pits Level 1
Bersekers Axe - Jail Level 1
Hellcast - Jail Level 2
Cathans Ring - Jail Level 3
Sigons Armor - Inner Cloister
Sigons Boots - Catacombs Level 2
Arctic Belt - Andy

Code:
No1 Holy Fire            N
No2 Might                N
No3 Holy Shield          N
No4 Holy Shock           N
No5 Fanaticism           N

NM1 Thorns               N
NM2 -                    N
NM3 -                    N
NM4 -                    N
NM5 -                    N

He1 -                    N
He2 -                    N
He3 -                    N
He4 -                    N

Reset used (if any)
Normal    during <Act>
Nightmare during <Act>
Hell      during <Act>

DevaZR walked into Act 4 like she owned the place. This was true for the outer steppes and the plains of despair which proved to be nice going. She also found an upgrade to the undead crown Ilzan was sporting to sustain himself. Not a good roll by any means (37%MF), but it matches quite well with the 23MF on insight for an even 60% :cool:
Screenshot050.png

After beating Izual and entering the city of the damned she ran upon her first obstacle, Lightning immune Damned... Ilzan had a rough field day mostly supported by underlevelled fireblasts and Cloak of shadow. He prevailed and we were awarded a nother goode with better rolls (14% MF)
Screenshot054.png

Done with the City, DevaZR cruised on the river of flame all the way to the forge and took an Um with her for the efforts.
Screenshot055.png

At last ready to deal with NM diablo, I shopped a TP staff to position Ilzan on top of Diablo to avoid the lightning hose range. Still 3 ressurections were necessary when I forgot the key mapping for juvies 😅
Forgot to take a shot at the drop, because it was THAT un-noteworthy...
Screenshot057.png

Ready for a damnation!
Code:
No1 Dragon claw        N
No2 Wake of fire       N
No3 Phoenix strike     N
No4 Venom              N
No5 Blades of ice      N

NM1 Charged bolt sentry N
NM2 Blade sentinel     N
NM3 Claws of thunder   N
NM4 -                  N
NM5 -                  N

He1 -                  N
He2 -                  N
He3 -                  N
He4 -                  N

Reset used (if any)
Normal    during <Act>
Nightmare during <Act>
Hell      during <Act>

Rich (BB code):
Martial arts (0)
01 Tiger strike 0, Dragon talon 0
06 Fists of fire 0, Dragon claw 0
12 Cobra strike 0
18 Claws of thunder 0, Dragon tail 0
24 Baldes of ice 0, Dragon flight 0
30 Pheonix Strike 0

Shadow disciplines (7)
01 Claw mastery 1, Psychic hammer 1
06 Burst of speed 1
12 Weapon block 1, Cloak of shadows 1
18 Fade 1, Shadow warrior 1
24 Mind blast 0
30 Venom 0, Shadown master 0

Traps (66)
01 Fire blast 14
06 Shock web 15, Blade sentinel 0
12 Charged bolt sentry 15, Wake of fire 0
18 Blade fury 0
24 Lightning sentry 20, Wake of inferno 0
30 Death sentry 2, Blade shield 0

Rich (BB code):
How to fill the table
SP SC SR D2R Forum Name        Character Name       Class   Level Location                Score  Date
-- -- -- --- ----------        --------------       -----   ----- --------                -----  ----
         D2R Dazliare          Sentinel              Pal    01    Rogue Camp              Higher than Babyhell
         D2R Vang              Swoon                 Bar    81    Guardian                45     01/27/2022
SP       D2R Jcakes            Hades                 Nec    84    Guardian                54     02/04/2022
         D2R Babyhell          TheDeadman (it.2)     Nec    83    Guardian                51     02/09/2022
         D2R D4di56lu3         DevaZR                Asn    66    Harrogath               27
SP       D2R Grisu             Karrin                Asn    ??    Kurast Docks            06
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Back to ashes (aka Deeds)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
         D2R Vang              Refractor             Dru    67    Frozen Tundra NM        27
SP       D2R ffs               Pound                 Pal    77    H Claw Viper Temple     39
SP       D2R lizard            Appolonia             Ama    50    The Pit NM              18
         D2R Vang              HoboJones             Dru    46    Pand. Fortress          15
         D2R Babyhell          TheDeadman (it.1)     Nec    22    Arcane Sanctuary        03
         D2R Vang              Cronan                Bar    14    Lut Gholein             06

Attachments

• Screenshot052.png
    Screenshot052.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
@D4di56lu3 7: Mind Blast!

Ouch...can hurt..!
I’m sure you did even better than that, I’m reading a 7 as lightning sentry, so NM diablo did me in good :LOL:
Time to see how a highly synergized but underlevelled FB and shock web together with lvl 2 DS handles act 5 NM.
Perhaps I will use normal cow king blessing on LS if I can reach Anya (or if I’m stopped dead in my tracks…)
Perhaps a point in MB can help me out ;)

With Diablo's untimely damnation of my primary dps skill (LS), DevaZR resorted to CC tactics with CoS, MB and fireblast to remove ranged/clustered attackers. Beating Shenk on P7 was such a slog, that I tuned down player setting to P3 at least until I have saved Anya and can shop some +2 or +3 claws to increase FB damage and range on DS corpse explosion. Then we will see if LS is worthy burning a blessing on.

Have I mentioned how much Shock web sucks? I'm sure shock web could be fun, but compared to the "lowly" fireblast it just plain sucks.

Continuing on P3 proved much more manageble and the slingers in Frigid Highlands were no match for the trio of DevaZR, insight partizan Merc and lvl 3 shadow warrior (to be pre-buffed with dual +3 claws in the future). They even presented us with a nice gift of endgame worthy merc armor. High MF is so delicious (299% for DevaZR + 132% on merc kills).
Screenshot061.png

We were also rewarded with a FAL rune, opening the possibilities of an obedience elite polearm for the merc.
So far, the only punishment for going on P3 was less XP.
Screenshot062.png

In the crystalline passage MB and CoS was trained excessively when facing a cursed Blood lord boss pack, stacked on top of a LE/CE Dark archer boss pack (and a random assortment of succubus). As you can see, no screendump, too hectic a fight to dare moving the fingers. Poor Hazade had a full death experience three times before we prevailed against the horrible mob.

At last we found the frozen river, we had Succubus as guest monsters which were a breeze.
The rot walkers never really got a chance to charge and since none of the beasties had any fire resistance, my lowly FB (lvl 15 at the time) wrecked them.

Funnily enough, mindblast just feels like cheating. Frozenstein had enough to see to with his converted minions and Anya was freed at last, allowing for some shopping after clearing pindle and his buddies.

HUGE dissapointment...
Screenshot064.png

Overconfident from my trip to the frozen river, I proceeded to clean pindle up first allowing Hazade to have fun in the front yard. When only 1 minion of Pindle remained, Hazade nonchalantly walked up and stabbed the poor walker, leaving my back fully open to the charging lawn ornament...

As can be seen from the fine if rather obnoxious position of his bodily remains, he had no clue what was happening and unfortunately neither did I 😵🤬

If you are reading this @Grisu , I'm so ready to be trashed if nothing else to up my game and take another swing at the HC world of D2.

I will miss DevaZR, but most of all I will miss her beautiful gloves, the likes of which I will never find again...
Screenshot013.png

Rich (BB code):
How to fill the table
SP SC SR D2R Forum Name        Character Name       Class   Level Location                Score  Date
-- -- -- --- ----------        --------------       -----   ----- --------                -----  ----
         D2R Dazliare          Sentinel              Pal    01    Rogue Camp              Higher than Babyhell
         D2R Vang              Swoon                 Bar    81    Guardian                45     01/27/2022
SP       D2R Jcakes            Hades                 Nec    84    Guardian                54     02/04/2022
         D2R Babyhell          TheDeadman (it.2)     Nec    83    Guardian                51     02/09/2022
SP       D2R Grisu             Karrin                Asn    ??    Kurast Docks            06
Back to ashes (aka Deeds)
         D2R Vang              Refractor             Dru    67    Frozen Tundra NM        27
SP       D2R ffs               Pound                 Pal    77    H Claw Viper Temple     39
         D2R D4di56lu3         DevaZR                Asn    68    Nihlathak's Temple      27
SP       D2R lizard            Appolonia             Ama    50    The Pit NM              18
         D2R Vang              HoboJones             Dru    46    Pand. Fortress          15
         D2R Babyhell          TheDeadman (it.1)     Nec    22    Arcane Sanctuary        03
         D2R Vang              Cronan                Bar    14    Lut Gholein             06

@D4di56lu3 ouch that sucks, the last sentence with Mind Blast made me wait for another kind of surprise :-(

Those baddies do tough charge damage...and there's quite a lot of them here.

You catched me!
Hehe, building up tension and then breaking it is part of the fun :p:p

Thank you for hosting the tournament, it was a blast and I have learned a lot about HC d2. This is only my second serious HC character, so I’m not too disappointed with the results (my random assassin deeded @lvl80 being the other).

Will enjoy some SC d2 with other tournament characters while practicing the “DON’T DIE!” Strategy. Hopefully my HC random necro will succeed someday 😆

Reactions: Babyhell
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High