How can it be PvP Week 11 already?

maxicek

Guide Author
Aug 5, 2005
[highlight]PvP Week 11[/highlight]

It seems that the dust has barely settled from the last PvP week, but we are already planning another. My time is a bit limited over the week, but frozzzen assures me others will I hope help out with hosting and organising the games.

Don't just read this thinking I will play PvP "sometime." Make it in PvP Week 11, even if you just bring your AT Blizz sorc.

Trim of some of that post Christmas fat in your mouse hand. PvP Week 11 is here. Join in, make new friends. And try to kill them.

Here comes the copy & paste bit ....

[highlight]What is PvP Week?[/highlight]
Well the clue is in the name. It is a week of PvP games, intended to be a friendly way to introduce new players to high level duelling. I used to write that it was non competitive, but who am I kidding? Everyone wants to win. Let's just say it isn't a competition. If you are new to PvP but worried about getting smeared all over the Blood Moor, don't be. Your new character may have a steep learning curve, but it is everyone's interests that you enjoy it and keep playing. Players can split into teams to even out skill levels. Don't expect to win every duel either though :)

[highlight]What happens in PvP Week?[/highlight]
- You will get the best idea by reading the write ups from all the previous PvP weeks.
- The idea is a PvP game, every night, for a week. You don't have to play every night, but you can.
- PvP week is all about high level, bad manners rules duelling. I'm not planning to include any low fat, sugar free alternatives like aLLD18 or LLD30.
- PvP Week - The Questions Thread is a wealth of good info and is always open if you have any questions.
- I'm not doing the write ups, so if someone wants to volunteer, please go for it.

[highlight]OK, you have convinced me, I want to have a go, but I have never played PvP before - How do I get started?[/highlight]
If you don't have a character already, look to your re-specs. Most of the standard PvM builds - Trappers, Bone Necros, Poison Necros, Sorcs, Hammerdins - can all do well with a bit of adjustment, even if you don't have a full inventory of life skillers.
If you are interested but need help, you can post in this thread.

[highlight]So when will PvP week be?[/highlight]
Monday 6th to Sunday 12th January. That is a proper week this time and everything.
It's dark and the weather is bad, what else will you do?

[highlight]The Rules[/highlight]
We play in 1.13d

Standard BM Rules
- No potions (except mana potions), mercs, wells, or shrines.
- No recasting Cyclone and Bone Armour.
- No minions that cannot be summoned in town with the exception of Decoy.
- No Holy Freeze, Decrepify, Slow Missiles, or Bone Prison.
- No mass slow (>10%), no mass poison from items (>200), no mass replenish (>25).
- No curse charges (this includes Slow Missiles). Chance to cast is acceptable.
- No over absorb. Limit 2 items per element with the standard ban on Rising Sun, Black Oak and 1.07 LoH.
- Mana potions are allowed for all characters except ES based worcs

[highlight]So What Is This Thread For?[/highlight]
Any questions, pre-match banter, post-match analysis, videos, screenshots, basically anything that you like related to PvP Week.

I'm not going to do a sign up table, but if you are in, please post. Especially if you can help with the hosting.

FoE you have about three weeks to buy a mouse. Bloody hell man, they sell them in supermarkets. Do we need to have an SPF "buy FoE a mouse" fund raiser or something? :)

I'll be around and can host. Depending on how the trade thread I make in a week or two's time goes I may even have a new character or two.

What class is the:

A.) Easiest to play
B.) Easiest to kit, with what freebies you all are willing to share, if even only for PvP week
C.) Can get through the game, to an appropriate level in ~3 weeks untwinked

Obviously, B and C are closely related to what items you are willing to share, and if someone is willing to rush and help level a bit, C can be bypassed entirely.

I will participate this time around, if you all can provide me with adequate gear, and suggest a new-comer-friendly build. Sound good? :)

Edit:
I posted in Gripphon's giveaway thread. Which fits my needs better?

Last edited:
I'll be around and can host also. Since I'll have a couple of exams I can't go crazy, but I hope I can join the games often.

[highlight]Do you want to try PvP but have no characters? Gripphon is hosting some give-aways in the trade forums, check it out![/highlight]

FoE you have about three weeks to buy a mouse. Bloody hell man, they sell them in supermarkets. Do we need to have an SPF "buy FoE a mouse" fund raiser or something? :)

Who knows what new year might bring!

What class is the:

A.) Easiest to play
B.) Easiest to kit, with what freebies you all are willing to share, if even only for PvP week
C.) Can get through the game, to an appropriate level in ~3 weeks untwinked

Obviously, B and C are closely related to what items you are willing to share, and if someone is willing to rush and help level a bit, C can be bypassed entirely.

I will participate this time around, if you all can provide me with adequate gear, and suggest a new-comer-friendly build. Sound good? :)

Edit:
I posted in Gripphon's giveaway thread. Which fits my needs better?

Crap, now I have to level my long overdue SC char...

I could be up for doing some leveling sunday or monday. I am considering trying to level a char on my own as well, but am not sure i will have time. If we can get a rush to hell (hey cdm), I can probably host some baals.

Leveling tips for certain characters:
Note that for every Pit character you want to take at least 10 minutes to roll fine Pit map so you can level fast.

1. Necromancer

- make vitality poisonmancer
- go through game (quite easy to do)
- level on nightmare Baal till level 75 or something like that, it won't take long (I really can't remember at what level did I stop leveling)
- get to the hell Pit p8 and level up

Equipment: first build in this thread. I did use some fancy stuff, but you get the point. Instead beta BKWB you can use SoJ or regular BKWB or Nagelring + additional skiller. For merc you don't need Fortitude, any armor will do fine. Shaftstop for example. Just copy described strategy of running and you will cruise through levels there.

Speed of leveling: Insanely fast. You get from 75 to 92 quite fast. 3 days maximum if you don't play much, but you can do it in a day definitely if you want to. Now, depending to what level you want to level-up, higher levels will take more time. But till 94 it's fairly fast to get. Get routine, don't die and ur good to go. I can borrow Web for leveling if needed.

2. Paladin

- make max block hammerdin
- go through game
- you can level up on nightmare Baal till some level easily
- go straight to hell CS p8 and pump your levels up

Possible paladin gear (I don't really recall what exactly did I use, but something like this):
Shako
Enigma
Hoto
Spirit (35 fcr)
Rising Sun amulet
Arachnid Mesh
Trang Claws
some boots
fcr ring
SoJ or something

Merc:
Insight + get leech and resists on him from the rest of equipment

Or you think of your own equipment, but even this works perfectly. See where bosses spawn along the way to CS, that is lvl 85 area so you kill them for exp ofc. Kill every boss in CS including 3 who summon Diablo. Don't kill Diablo, you lose time for nothing xp-wise, only if you want some items. After you kill last boss, s/e and go from the beginning. Repeat. Beware of De Seis pack, stay away and spam hammers as they come to you. Don't let merc tank cause he will die very fast. When De Seis is isolated, teleport on him and spam hammers. Beware of certain might+fanaticism packs, you are not invincible, only close to it. It's not paladin who is problematic, it's rather merc who can die fast if you let him tank unnecessary hits.

Speed of leveling: Insanely fast. Same as poisonmancer, you get to 92 without much effort. I mean, you have to have decent killing speed for it, but it's not hard to be fast with Hammerdin. Just tele on boss and hammer him down along with some minions. Don't kill every minion possible, sometimes it's better to let minion or two alive and get to the next pack to kill 4-5 new minions instead of losing time killing remaining two. You get the point.

3. Windy

- go through game
- level up on nightmare Baal till 70+
- go to the hell Pit, p8
- level up there

Possible windy gear to get the job done:
Shako/Jalal's/Circlet
Enigma
Wizardspike
Spirit
some amulet
Arachnid Mesh
Trang Claws or something else
some boots
2x rings

Decide will you go for 99 fcr breakpoint or 163 fcr breakpoint and choose equipment based on that. You can go max block with Stormshield if you want to, but it's not needed.

Merc: Insight + Vampire Gaze + whatever Armor, works great

Or you can try something with Reaper's Tool merc if you feel comfortable with mana.
Cast Battle Command + Battle Orders + Cyclone Armor + Summon Grizzly + Summon Oak. Tele to Pit, enter and cast Hurricane (not really needed, but it helps). Tele to bosspacks and kill. See if you can tele right on top of boss to spam Tornado, or stay next to bosspack and just cast. Don't tele into bosspacks often if you are not max block. See that you keep Grizzly and Oak alive all the time, they are your meat shield + hp booster. Kill only bosspacks, don't waste time killing regular creeps.

Speed of leveling: Fastish. Not as awesome as paladin and necromancer, but fast. Till 92 you get very easy with minimum time invested into it through the week. It won't take much to get to 93, but getting to 94 might take some time. Not much though.

Last edited:
Don't put me on spotlight like that max >_>
But yeah, my hosting works (with mixed results pindwise) so I'll at least be able to put games up.

So I have 3 weeks to get good paladin name...
Seems kinda impossible..

If I make new char it will probably be fire druid. I would like to level as that as well, since I dislike nado. 90+ is probably unrealistic before pvp week, but anybody got a suggestion on how to level with fire? FIs are the suxxor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@ FoE
Pindle is easy target for him. FI Pindle you skip because it will take too long to kill him. You should be leveling fairly fast on him. You can use Ravenlore and standard equipment to kill them. I can borrow you Phoenix shield and Infinity to speed things up. Luckily you don't need fcr for that thing so you can go full damage to kill faster.

@ Nulio
I guess I'm not inspired today

Guys, complaining about leveling is kinda meh. It's easy to get chars to high level. I created new paladin yesterday ~14:30 and today he is already lvl 91 (with both good night sleep and Saturday morning full of work). It's kinda dishearting to hear one of your most common complain about pvp chars is leveling when it's actually so easy to do. Yes, it might take couple hours, but even at 91 your character has 99% functionality as lvl99 character and it's good enough for pvp for start. Obviously it's nice to have couple extra levels to max your skills, but they won't make/break character.

Just sit there and do it. Or call in for MP games. I have hosting capabilities now so I can try to help you with that.

91 lol?

You are such a noob...

TUB made a 99er in a couple of weeks!

frozzzen is soooo laaaame!

It's not that grinding a character is so terrible. It's grinding a character when one has no SC stash to twink him with. If you can take an untwinked character from 1-91 in a few hours, then you are WAY more skilled than I.

Plus, it's also a drag because I don't play SC, and don't intend on starting. So, if something useful drops while questing the character, I'm not gonna be happy about it.

But anyway, if that's the sort of attitude you have towards recruiting new players to PvP, then I'll have to retract my interest. As a HC only player, you're asking too much of me to start playing SC with the sole purpose of joining you for PvP in a couple weeks.

PS, I'm not trying to be rude, I'm only trying to explain why I'm "complaining about leveling" because, it's sort of a big deal. It would be like me asking you to start 1.00 to join me and Jcakes for PvP in 3 weeks. Add to that, that I only play HC, so, yeah, it's a big deal.

FWIW, I did quest a Druid through Act I last night. I think he's 19, about to start Act II tonight. Just, take it easy on someone who's already FAR out of their element, just to join some others for an end game activity for a game that I basically don't play (HC and SC are not equal, when it comes to stashes, so, I have to start from scratch) and I'm not really super interested in playing PvP anyway. I thought it might be fun, to meet some new people, and try an aspect of the game that I can't participate in with HC, but sheesh. Frozzzen's post kinda took the wind out of my sails. Sorry.

TLDR;
It's a big deal to me. You are asking that I start a new character, play him through the game completely untwinked, get to 91+ in a couple weeks, just so I can do something that A) I'm gonna suck at anyway, and B) I honestly am not as interested in as you are. Anyway, enjoy your games!

Ya, well if SC wasn't so catastrophically boring and I had another char to rush myself with I would probably be in my mid 80s by now too...

I'm not even going to bother trying to change your mind since you obviously weren't interested in the first place, considering some really mild /shotsfired got you annoyed enough to give up on it. PvP is extremely frustrating, so it might not be for you regardless, at least not with that attitude.

Your 1.00 comparison couldn't be more wrong. When these guys were motivated to do some 1.07 HC starting from scratch, they made it through Hell disturbingly fast. Is everyone like them? Obviously not, but 3 weeks is a perfectly acceptable time frame even with the holiday season for someone who is actually interested and not swamped to death with other obligations. frozzzen is silly and thinks everyone has the time/motivation to level characters to 96 in a few days like him. That is true. On the flip side, it is also true that we were perfectly willing to rush/level/gear your characters to smooth out the process as much as possible.

Anyway, that week isn't too great for me max, but I'd be lying if I ever said I wouldn't show up for at least 1-2 days. Let's see when MFO will be as well.

I might believe you had I seen a post or received a PM along the lines of "Hey logout, when's a good time for you to get your 3 HC guys together for a rush in SC?"

But you're right, I had very little taste for PvP, and now I have none. I'm done trolling your thread.

I really hope you guys enjoy your games, PvP weeks always seem like a blast! I look forward to the results thread! GL, HF, KA, DD!

To be fair, our experience shows that rushing someone else works when they are interested. Otherwise is just someone nagging someone asking "want me to rush you?", "and today, wanna a rush?", "I'm D2ing now, let me know if you want to MP and level your characters"...

... said rushing/leveling will only happen when the other person really wants to do it. So we offer to help but we won't be after you.
(I for one, am already known as a nagger because of trading, if I become also a nagger because of PvPing Thy will ban me from PMing :p)

And we know that there's a risk involved and that most "promises" are empty.
I could tell you the story when I sent loads of twinking gear to someone and that person disappeared without even saying "I'm sorry, RL/wtv pulled me out." Luckily I hadn't sent yet the PvP gear or we couldn't have made that sexy bowazon for pyro.
Or the several times a player said they wanted gear but changed their mind and didn't say a thing. Or when they did get the gear and then stopped D2ing.
But that doesn't makes me mad/sad/wtv, at least it was items gone, not wasted hours helping gone.

And frozzzen did post that you could call in for MP games.

FoE and srrw do have SC stashes to help them. We don't follow every thread here to know you didn't have.

Anyway, if you don't really feel you want to try it out, it's best you don't. D2 is a game that should be fun and spent playing how we find that fun. We'll probably be here to help in the future if you change your mind. And here to help anyone who needs to enter SC to try PvP. :)

It's great you think the world revolves around you, but the obligation is 100% on you to ask for help if you need it. Nobody can read your mind, and at no point in time did you even declare you had actually started your character. Either way, frozzzen explicitly stated at the end of his post that he'd be willing to put up MP games if you asked him for help with leveling. I understand reading is hard for you, but at least give it a try when you can.

Enjoy dying to quill rats instead!

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High