Have you backed up YOUR files lately?

Re: Have you backed up YOUR files lately?

Lol talk about overkill on backup systems for this.

"I run a high availability cluster of storage servers with full nightly tape backups, backups are stored offsite in a fire proof safe - pretty sure my diablo 2 files will be fine"

Lol talk about overkill on backup systems for this.

"I run a high availability cluster of storage servers with full nightly tape backups, backups are stored offsite in a fire proof safe - pretty sure my diablo 2 files will be fine"

I was going to say the same thing.

I bet half of these people are liars and are just trying to sound snooty.

Half you you haven't backed up a thing, I bet! :p

I haven't backed anything and I'm not going to now. It's bad luck.

My current stashes are the only thing stopping me from restarting when 1.13 full version goes live. If my HD went caput and I lost my stashes, I wouldn't have the dilemma of what to do when 1.13 goes live.

Of course, all my other stuff is a different matter...

what are the actual files which are needed to make backups? there are following type of files in my d2 save folder: .ma0, .ma1, .ma2, .ma3, .d2s, .key, and .map. is it enough to copy only .d2s files? what kind of information is stored in .ma0-3 and .key files? and how about gomule? only need to backup .d2x files? where is stored gomule´s bank money? someone mentioned that he or she copy projects also. and what is there? i´m running diablo in mac if its matter.

.d2s
Character files - everything about your character is stored in here. Stats, skills, items, exp, etc.
Technically all you need to backup. (I think your maps are stored in here too, but not 100% sure. If not, I'd guess they would be in the .map file)

.ma0 - .ma3, .map
Records how much of the map you've explored. Diablo will generate these if missing.

I keep these because I play full clear, and I like to see where I've explored. Optional to backup/transfer.

.key
File that holds your hotkeys. Diablo uses default or last used (don't know which) when it can't find it, and makes a new one.
Optional to backup/transfer, but you should if you have custom hotkeys.

.d2x
Gomule/ATMA stashes. Items stashed are in these, so you should backup the stashes you want to.

gomule projects

Found in X;\path\to\Gomule\projects or /path/to/Gomule/projects
in the projects folder, each subfolder is an individual project eg. the default one is \Gomule\projects\Gomule

in each project folder:
Clipboard.d2x - holds any items left in the the Gomule clipboard
project.properties - lists paths to char/stash files and is where your muled out gold is stored
Gomule.backup - backup folder for clipboard.d2x, safe to ignore

to backup all projects, just copy the "projects" folder, or choose which subfolders you want to copy

ATMA stuff

Found in X;\Program Files\ATMA V\
.cfg files - holds paths to previously opened chars/stashes. Optional, safe to ignore
ATMA_config.ini - holds your ATMA settings and muled out gold

thanks a lot from information cenyth! now when i have to copy only those needed files what you mentioned i´ll save nicely space and i can make nice e-mail back ups. thanks. :)

horseheadnebula, glad to help. =)

One detail to take note of if you're only backing up the project.properties files (and not folders) from the gomule projects:

Make sure you copy
/Gomule/projects/[projectName]/project.properties

instead of

/Gomule/projects/project.properties

The second one is empty and does nothing as far as I can tell.

I backed up several months ago to feel good about myself. I uninstalled the auto-backup program after realizing how invasive and annoying it was. (It took me back to the XP and *shudder* Vista days.) I should backup more often.

I haven't backed anything and I'm not going to now. It's bad luck.

Yup. It's asking for trouble. I'd much rather lose d2 itamzzzzz than my hd. If the D2 gods have deemed my files unworthy, I'll not throw my hardware in the way!

cenyth: nice post, for those who want to back up files...beware!!!!!!

Last edited:
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High