Have you backed up YOUR files lately?

Serdash

Jun 24, 2003
Have you backed up YOUR files lately?

Well, recently, some mysterious tragedy has befallen my External HDD.

Many things were lost. 6 Seasons of Mythbusters, a few movies I had yet to watch, some pirated games, 62.5 GB of Music, and most importantly...

My Diablo 2 Stashes.

Now, now. My character files for 1.12 are intact, and (most of) my high end gear is still around. So you'll sadly still be plagued with my finishing up the BotD sept, but I'll have to find a way to get twinking gear to them. (I still have my 1.09 Ravenclaw, but how will I ever get through levels 1 through 15? :< )

Either way, just a friendly reminder that anything can happen, even if everything is running smoothly one moment, because it can blow up the next.

Among the things lost? Well...

Various jewels, runes, gems, rares... a grail -28 or so(Might be closer to minus 10 - 15 or so.) as well as a spares stash with various of the same item finds. Some of which include shiny things like Two Stormlashes.

Various mid-level runewords, including an Exile(I think, not sure if it's on a char or not), a couple of Oath weapons, some Insights, Spirits, etc. I think most of my good high end Runewords were on chars, at the very least. I know I still have BotD and Fortitude, that's all anybody needs, right? :)

Runes that could cube up to Ohm or Lo(I hadn't counted in a while, but I had a lot of mid-level runes that I could've cubed up eventually. I think maybe Ohm and a half at best).

Oh well. Loss is a loss. Not like I play the game much now anyways. Or maybe it'll give me something to do. I was bored because I already had a decent wealth, so now I can just build it back up? Oh well.

Back up your stuff, guys! Even when you don't play much it sucks to lose it all. :p

Oh, I also lost all of my 1.09 files. Had quite a few level 93+ and 95+ characters and decent wealth there as well. But I haven't played 1.09 in quite some time.

Re: Have you backed up YOUR files lately?

Personally, I send my stuff to my email account from time to time. Zero risk in losing that, I'd say. And on a USB stick as well.

Sorry for your loss, though... :(

Sorry to hear that. It's always a pain if you loose a lot of valuable stuff. Good thing you haven't lost everything though. And nice to see that you see the bright side of it too (perhaps more motivation).

Like Arkado, I backup my stuff on my HD, USB and mail it to my email adress. Yep, 3 times.

Lost my stashes when my flatmate broke my LACiE. Haven't played much since. :/

I'm lazy. Also, looking for an excuse to rid myself of this addiction :p

I'll do it tomorrow...

P.S.: Haha, you suck!

Last edited:

I don't know why, but I suddenly have this feeling to back up all my DII stuff ... hmmmm

Nightfind

Sad to hear about the loss, since my old hdd crashed around two years ago and I lost all my chars/stashes I always backup atleast 2 times a month. And as a general rule I always backup whenever I find something really nice, like HR's and such.

I probably have too much of a backup system. I've got a basic dev/file/everything server in my basement with a RAID 6 array that can take 2 drives failing at the same time, and all the computers in my house are set to send a weekly backups of its critical data to it for storage. It saves 2 weeks for each machine.

So, if I end up losing something that's been there for more than a week, I'll take it as a sign that I'm just not supposed to have said item/char. It's mainly because of a bunch of dev projects I've worked on and lost data for, but my Diablo stashes have snuck in there as well :p

P.S. Sorry for your loss :(

Backups are for wimps, I like to live dangerously.

EDIT : I´m a wimp! :)

Long answer :

I make backups to 2 diffrent USB sticks diffrent and part of HD on weekley basis (when I play d2)

I recently cleaned up the External disk and all stuff on it is only mirrors of folders on HD or expandable suff.

Short Answer :

I havent played this year and did my backups like 3 of january!

Sorry about your loss.

I am also (hopefully) in the sort-of-overkill backup camp: hourly backups of entire HD to external via time machine; twice monthly clones of entire HD to a different external; monthly backups of Home folder (where documents, pictures, etc live) to portable external that lives in my closet the rest of the time; and a twice weekly clone of my iTunes folder (now over 197GB) from one external to another. I also back up my D2 toons and stashes to DropBox and a thumb drive. I could handle just about any combination of failures and might loose (at most) two weeks worth of stuff. I'd like to get that down to 2 minutes or, better yet, 2 billionths of a second, but that will have to wait for a RAID6 array. Yep.

My backup system:

I have my character files, stashes and gomule projects in a checkout of a local Subversion repository. The repository is located in my Dropbox folder. TortoiseSVN is used to manage the stuff and I commit changes after a playing session.

With this setup:
  • I can revert changes to a character to the last commit (backup) quickly using right-click menu. (I've never needed this, but I guess it's nice for restoring maps? or something like that)
  • Characters, stashes, projects synchronized on every computer where I have Dropbox. I can play on every computer that can connect to the internet (only brief connection required to synch), and every computer is a backup.
  • writing commit log entries lets me have a built in log of what I've done, what I plan to do per session, so I can check history of a char I've put on hold as a reminder

I'm lazy. Also, looking for an excuse to rid myself of this addiction :p

Meh... no need for a drive failure, easy solution: Give it away

For me, after that, then a spurt of restart activity and NM Meph farming, my desire to play has dropped significantly... I'm finally noticing the pattern :wink: Relapse is sure to come sooner or later though!

However, on a more serious note, I have hourly differentials via Time Machine, similarly to J6G. Save folder also goes to a USB stick occasionally, and to internet storage now and again, but mainly I rely on the TM backups as they're automatic and I don't need to think about it (my day life is filled with worrying about data recovery and backups, when I get home I let OS X do it for me).

I got a simple batch file that automatically backs up my data to a new directory (and ftp server) and starts D2.

I lost some items a while back, when I didn't remember to back up all savegames before formatting my harddrive and on another instance I lost some stuff due to data corruption.

Well this was many years ago and I learned from those mistakes. Now this won't happen again (although I am always afraid of a unique bug on my system that kills game.exe as soon as a certain unique sacred armor drops :p).

... my desire to play has dropped significantly... I'm finally noticing the pattern :wink: Relapse is sure to come sooner or later though!

Agreed. I wish this thread had come out about 1.5 months ago. :whistling:

That's too bad Dashy :( I don't back up very often, but since I play sparingly there's not much risk of losing anything, and I'd be far more annoyed about losing other things to care much anyways I guess :p

Backed up my main d2 stashes after this thread. There is almost nothing on my HDs that i can't get back if i loos them, other than d2 stuff ofcourse

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High