Golemancer Attempt No.2

LozHinge the Unhinged

Jan 22, 2007
Golemancer Attempt No.2

Prologue
Razan rose sleepily from his bed in Dallas the Innkeeper's hostelry when he thought he heard someone in the shower. Rubbing his eyes, he couldn't believe what he was seeing - Gumby Balboa, alive and well? What the Hell was happening? The last time he'd laid eyes on the Necro, he had fallen in The Pit, assailed on all sides by Dark Stalkers. That, and the subsequent days spent drowning his sorrows at Gheed's ... well, it must all have been a dream. Bewilderment was swiftly followed by anger and disappointment, when he was informed by Balboa that he was fired. To hell with the damned crazy golem nutjob Necro anyway.

Around and Under The Monastery
Balboa had informed an angry, but unaccountably incoherent, Razan that his services were no longer required. His reasons, not relayed to a shell-shocked and babbling Razan, were thus - Holy Freeze was not providing the needed crowd control, and with no other special abilities at his disposal, the desert merc was proving too frail for the rigours of this adventure. No, Jemali was what we needed, a Defiance mercenary. He fitted in well, and his special ability was one we all shared in. A new Rusty was created from the last of the Malice runes/weapons we had available at this point.

We took the waypoint from the Outer Cloister and headed back to The Pit. Balboa seemed distracted and even a little disorientated - he kept talking about "Deja Vu" or somesuch creature - I've never met one or even heard of it. The First Level of the Pit was cleared with ease, but resistance was stiffer on the Second Level. The battle ebbed and flowed, but victory was ultimately ours, even if, for some reason, it felt hollow.

In preparation for the Monastery, Balboa made some further changes. We just weren't damaging things quickly enough. An Ith rune dropped in the Pit meant we had one more Malice runeword left, which was ready to be placed in a 3os Voulge (we had nothing better) if needed. Jemali kept the Strength War Spear he inherited from Razan, and a new Rusty was created from a Matriarchal Pike. At first, this pairing worked very well. In the Barracks, The Smith was readily slain. However, things became very hard indeed shortly after that. Bone Mage and Archer Bosses and Champions made our lives an absolute Hell. It was a chore teasing out these characters from the cells as a frontal assault simply left us in a crossfire we couldn't hope to survive. Isolating and slaying the bosses was particularly satisfying. However, Wraiths made the job even trickier.
Neither Wraiths nor Mages were the worst of it - a boss pack of Tainted were a real trial for us. Being Amp Damage cursed meant having to rescue the Jemali time and time again, or resurrecting him if Balboa was too slow.

In the Cathedral, we met our first unkillable monster. Amp Damage couldn't break its immunity and we had no suitable elemental damage equipment - unless we wanted to dismantle our Honor Rusty. No way! We had to park the creature, but met him many times on our way to and from the Catacombs ...

Descending the stairs down to The Catacombs, we endured a stairtrap of Tainted and Dark Ones, and gradually established a foothold. Balboa needed to run into the Catacombs, dodging all kinds of creatures, create a Portal, and escape through it. We then retraced our steps from the Inner Cloister Waypoint, past the Immune Wraith Boss and descend the stairs from the Cathedral. Rinse and repeat, until we had a safe area next to the stairs. It was the only way we could manage the task.
Jemali was given the Malice Voulge as we were sorely missing the Open Wounds capability, despite the big damage from the Honor Rusty. The switch proved quite effective. In time, and after one final boss, we secured the Catacombs Level Two Waypoint.

Stats
109 Stats and 5 Skill Points unspent - I'm beginning to wonder whether I'll ever find armour that will be worth spending points on Strength. Perhaps I won't bother and just stick with Vitality, but surely I'm due to find a Skin of the Vipermagi one of these days?

I've given in, and reduced the /players setting to 5. I simply couldn't handle the difficulty of P8 - I just cannot keep the merc alive. Pit Level One was done on P1, as I'd previously cleared it before dying.
Merc equipment-wise, a couple of Rare Ogre Axes dropped today, with some useful damage on them, but the Strength req is too high for my merc at this point. A 2os CV dropped too, this will make a good Strength pole for Jemali if he ever gets enough strength to use it.

Golemancer Attempt No.1 thread here.

Champion GumbyBalboa - Level 82, Act 1, Catacombs Level 3

Last edited:
Not even death can stop GumbyBalboa, truly he is a great necromancer :wink3:

I have been reading along quietly and now i must say WOW. I greatly appreciate the storytelling along with the screenshots. I hope to read more of GumbyBalboa's adventures in the near future.

Wooo return of the Golemancer!

The writing style is great, and the integration of pictures makes it a great read/look. :)

Welcome back! I was quite scared for a little while there, to be frank.

Loved the Dallas reference :) - I remember whatching that episode when I was like 5 and even then going "What the 'ell?!? They can't do that, can they?!?" But I was a big Bobby fan, so I let it slide. Just like I'm gonna do here... ;)

Hello,

Not that it is any of my business, but if you are not using Corpse Explosion or skeletons, then why not use an Act III Ice mercenary when you get a chance? Great crowd control, generally stays away from trouble, benefits from faster cast items, increases his own defense, etc..

he needs a tank to keep monsters away from him, act 3 mercs just dont cut it as a tank and untwinked their damage would be lousy

When I read the post title I thought for a moment you started over from the beginning. I'm glad to learn you haven't completely lost your mind.

Andariel

Balboa led us from the Level 2 Waypoint in the Catacombs to the stairs down to Level 3. We were very soon involved in running battles with Ghouls, Dark Ones, Banished and Afflicted. Honor Rusty tanked virtually everything with ease, he was the dependable centre that we could rely upon. Jemali was rarely in trouble on this level, even in the face of some stiff opposition. Even a Fanaticism powered boss pack of Banished was dealt with in our stride, thanks in part to their own poor tactics. The minions attacked us one at a time, outside the range of their leader's influence. The boss himself fell rather meekly. Afflicted provided more of a challenge, but Terror and Decrepify enabled our victory.
Some tricky landscape features complicated our fight with another Afflicted boss, but again there was little danger to us as long as we isolated our enemies into ones or twos.
Descending the stairs into Level 4, we were straight away involved in fierce fighting with Afflicted, Ghouls and Dark Ones. Balboa danced in and out of the battle as he Decrepified, Terrored and Dim Visioned his enemies to great effect. When we felt we had control of the situation, we ventured from the stair room into the Antechamber, to search for the Shamans that were reviving the Dark Ones. Yet another boss pack of Afflicted made our lives interesting for a time, especially when we were Amp Dam cursed. Yikes.

When we felt ready, we opened the doors to the main chamber where we thought Andariel herself lurked. A number of Ghouls, Dark Ones and Afflicted threw themselves at us, and were dealt with, including a Shaman. A second wave attacked, but this time accompanied by the oversized Demon herself. Balboa Decrepified Andariel, Terrored the lesser creatures, cast a safety Portal - and battle was joined. The fighting was intense and demanding. Several times, Jemali was poisoned and close to death, requiring antidotes and healing. Unfortunately, in the heat of battle, with Jemali needing assistance, and with Balboa dodging both Andariel's poison and the assaults of Afflicted and Dark Ones, a flurry of blows directed at Rusty brought his health down into the red. Balboa dived for the Portal, but it was too late - Honor Rusty was lost! Thinking quickly, Balboa drew the Strength from his stash and created a new Iron Golem. The Crushing Blow, together with Open Wounds from Jemali's Malice Voulge, proved very effective against Andariel. However, despite Balboa's decision to swap Jemali's Atma's Wail for a Rare Ring Mail with Reduced Poison Length and extra Poison resistance, Jemali proved very vulnerable when the big demon targetted him, requiring several revives. Perhaps a dozen Town Portals were used as Balboa worked to keep both his fighters alive. In time though, and despite her best efforts and the interference of her remaining retinue, Andariel's resistance weakened ... and she fell in a pillar of flame.

Victory was ours! Some unremarkable treasures were left behind in her wake, including a Cathan's Seal and Cleglaw's Claws, but there was also a real treasure, a Unique Cermonial Javelin - Titan's Revenge. Very nice.

Stats
Still have 109 Stats and 5 Skill points free - still thinking of putting some or all of the skills into DV ...

Resists check - F79, C31, L80, P78 - yes, I'm still wearing Darkglow Ring Mail, for the resists.

I'm annoyed that I lost the Honor IG, I wasn't paying enough attention to him I guess. I was more attentive with the Strength golem, that's for sure! I think the swapping of the Merc's armour was the right thing to do, it meant that Andy's poison took time to rip him to bits. The armour is sold now and Atma's Wail is back in place. I wish I could make a Duress armour instead though!
Glad to be on /players 5 now. P8? What was I thinking? :grin:

In reply ...
@Ishmayl - thanks for the encouragement!

@dutes - thanks. Balboa isn't great, but what he lacks in power, he makes up for in mule-headedness. :smiley:

@Patinthehat - thank you. I'm sure there's more to come.

@kidsmokin - thanks for that. I've borrowed the style from Insane Wayne (as I've said before) as I really enjoyed his recent marathon thread.

@yiuman - FTW? Are you sure? :laugh:

@loyalpeon - thanks! I was hoping someone would get the reference. I too remember thinking, "This ain't right" at the time, but the series was so much fun I didn't care.

@Mad Mantis - thank you. What does that mean? :smiley:

@garion - thank you. I'm having fun writing it.

@Mitch Turnbuckle - suggestions and ideas are always welcome. However, I haven't much experience with Act 3 mercs, to be honest. I have thought of choosing either an Act 3 or maybe another Act 1 merc, usually when the moron starts getting himself killed all the time, but I believe the golem benefits greatly from the aura of my current merc.

@kykle - you're not wrong!

Champion GumbyBalboa - Level 82, Act 2, Lut Gholein

@Ed from Russia - not completely, no! I think I still have three or four neurons that are still talking to each other :smiley:

:laughing:

the adventure of GumbyBalboa continues . . .

whilst playing my LoM, i have this gnawing sensation at the back of my head - go get a bow or something and contribute directly to the team's damage output. throwing potions and cursing is not enough a contribution at the moment and my amazon instinct pesters me to grab a bow and fire away. so i was thinking something like raven claw, kuko shakaku and/or demon machine would be nice fit for my LoM. i would get a semi ITD ranged attack and LR can magnify exploding arrow damage. maybe consider exploding arrow crushing blow combo later on, if that still works.

however i'm glad you continued the like no other saga of the golemancer GumbyBalboa. Gumby has been on the sideline of late, will Gumby be doing a cameo or two from now on? or will be take back the highlights from his Rusty brethren? stay tuned!

@zerashk - I've thought of a bow of some sort for Balboa, but I begrudge every stat point not placed in vitality so it probably won't happen. Besides, I feel the necro is working his tail off with all the curses needing to be cast, so Balboa is contributing directly. My summonancer otoh - he is the weak link in the chain every time :grin:
As for Gumby, he appears briefly as a stop gap when I am "between Rustys". I originally thought CG would be the star of the show and that IG would be too frail for Hell - so far, I'm being proved wrong and I'm very happy about that.

@MM ... in that case - thanks very much indeed! :smiley:

Woo hoo! Andariel is no more, for good this time! :thumbsup:
Shame about Honourusty :undecided:

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High