Diablo 3 a MMO?

Dacar92

Staff member
Nov 2, 2003
Diablo 3 a MMO?

Did you guys see this story on our front page? What do you think?

Diablo MMO? - Elly [23:42:pST]

More rumours abound for a new Diablo title as site F13 is reporting that all future Blizzard titles will be MMO games. The news comes following a VUGames presentation to Wall Street today and it has been stated that Blizzard franchises will move over to the the MMO model which would mean that if a new Diablo title was released it would be an MMORPG like WoW.

The news story also states that WoW cost Blizzard 50 million euros to develop, peanuts when you consider the amount of people paying monthly subscriptions. WoW took four and half years to create but VUGames state that a new title would only take 3 years and at the cost of $50 million US.

Of course we haven't heard anything from Blizzard on this but an MMORPG set in the Diablo universe is a very tasty thought indeed. Thanks Broken Toys.

Dacar92 said:

I think that is intersting if anything.... Im not sure what I would think of it, just as long as it isn't a pay to play game... I mean if we have to buy the game and then pay every month to play it... Diablo 2 did it right.

i don't care if they demand my left kidney and my first born...just get the damn thing started/finished.

If d3, when/if it comes out, follows the formula of d2 then I think it's a good thing but sadly I don't think it will. I think it will probably be just another pay to play MMO and the ones I played of those didn't hold my interest for long.

Disappointed, I guess. What's going to make it different (or better)? It'll be Everquest in Diablo clothing - just like every other MMORPG. Of course, as the first line of the newbit says, it's a rumor at this stage. Hopefully it evaporates just like the D3 @ E3 rumor did.

Even if D3 does end up going the MMO route, it won't bother me too much. I've got my eyes set on Hellgate: London.

I have not started WoW, because paying a monthly fee, would require I play a certain amount of time before I feel I have played my money's worth.

Personally, I think one of the contributing factors of Diablo II's success and it's continuation, ly in the fact they made it free to play. I therefore could choose to not play for a month or two if I wanted or have other things to do without thinking that I am not using my subscription.

I know Diablo 2 can gobble up a lot of time, but I've seen WoW swallow people whole in an effort to play their money's worth.

So if Diablo 3 is p2p I will probably not play. Dredd hits the nail on the head with his Everquest comparison.
Never say never though. I might be tempted to play it for a bit, but I don't think it will have the lasting attraction that Diablo 2 has for me.

If they charge a monthly fee(99% sure they will) I will no be on. I have too little time to play to make it worthwhile.

Noite Escura said:
If they charge a monthly fee(99% sure they will) I will no be on. I have too little time to play to make it worthwhile.

I think a lot of people including myself are thinking the same thing. If Blizzard listens at all to its fan-base there will be free online play. If not which might also may be the case then I think Blizz will loose a large part of their fan-base (just speculation on my part.)

As for it being an mmo, I would not look forward to it I’m not looking for another WoW. I would like them to make something that is somewhat of a mix between D1,D2, and D2 expansion. D1 was awesome because its quest varied a little, D2 stuck to the basic go kill this demon quest for the most part, I like the expanded version of D2 because it has a huge number of items and charms/ runes where a nice add-on however elite items are few, so higher lvl players for the most part all look the same, IK, levi, shako, Tal R.(example, looking for a shield chances are your going to pick SS.) It would be nice to see more variety.

Dacar92 said:

So much for the speculation. Blizz shot that down instantaneously (well by their standards at least).

There's another update on the front page. Rumors will continue to perculate until they actually make an announcement on D3. But it's kind of fun, isn't it?

D3 isn't coming soon...

Many WC3 players who enjoy the Warcraft elements now play WoW now and pay $180 a year.
Many D2 players who enjoy the Blizzard RPG now play WoW and pay $180 a year.
For every player who quits WoW, another one buys their account and starts playing.
Diablo 3 would take players away from WoW in great numbers... so to make this profitable Blizzard would need to charge more than $180 a year, or wait until WoW dies, which will be a long time. Plenty of people still play D2 after 6 years, and WoW is getting more players if anything after 1 year+

Would not touch D3 if there's a monthly fee. I had bought every game Blizzard has ever released, but I have not and will not buy WoW, and I will never buy a subscription based game.

i always hated that term MMORPG....

i mean...isnt d2 a MMORPG? yes i think it is. and id think with a name so large and bulky used to describe a genre of games that it would at least be specific enough to get everyone on the same page...

and yea, i want free d3...but i bet they'll charge for it monthly. furthermore, i bet they quit hosting the closed realms for d2. then what do you do? you pay to play d3...or you play d2 on open bnet.

either way we're screwed.

If they do even create a diablo III i am hoping it wont be a MMO. Why do we need another MMO, diablo is fine as it is, why change it. I understand how you can take warcraft and turn it into an MMO but diablo...why would you waste the time? If diablo 3 did come out, i'd prolly play it, but i dont see the need for another MMO.

If blizzard manages to achieve the same replayability that D2 has on D3 then I don't mind if it will be MMO. As for the money issue,sadly, WoW format is too succesful to allow anything else.

kingdryland said:
As for the money issue,sadly, WoW format is too succesful to allow anything else.

This is exactly why I am fearing that D3 will be a paid mmo. I hope I am wrong. But the revenue/profit model that WoW has generated is too much to walk away from.

ShadHoe said:
Why do we need another MMO, diablo is fine as it is, why change it.

Warcraft 3 was fine the way it was, too. :sad2:

We need another MMO because it will make Blizzard more money, and as with any large business, they're all about money.

The next online PC game won't be out until WoW stops making as much money as its players move to other games.

As for D3, I better be able to go out and PK people... Guild Wars lacks this, which makes me sad :( I like being able to kill people who annoy me.

Comedy Option: Racist was slain by Quill Rat. (again!)

I forsee D3 having episodic content, new acts released on a quarterly interval.

"Can you help me with the dome quest ?"
"Would that be the one in act 7, 23 or 64 ?"
"I started playing in act 9 and didn't have my subscription at the time of act 23, so I can't go to those acts."
"Act 64 it is then. Sigh, I prefer doing act 2 Hell in D2C."
"What's that ?"
"Never mind, try to keep up."

WarlockCC said:
..."Act 64 it is then. Sigh, I prefer doing act 2 Hell in D2C."
"What's that ?"
"Never mind, try to keep up."

LOL! You are right. Any D3 will attract players who never played 1 or 2. I can't wait. October's Blizzcon is my choice for an announcement.

*Crosses fingers and toes*

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High