DClone - Want a Guide?

In your estimate, what is the charge damage with the setup shown?

• 10,000-15,000

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 15,001-20,000

• 20,001-25,000

• 25,001-30,000

• 30,001-35,000

• 35,000+ (and HFS WTF Conner, that weapon is sexy!)

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

Dredd

Administrator
Jan 3, 2004
DClone - Want a Guide?

It seems there are many questions concerning the spawning of DClone popping up in the Community Forums on a near daily basis. I answer as many questions as I can when they pop up, only to find the same questions being asked three days later.

I've been knocking around the idea of writing up a Q&A/FAQ concerning everything you need to know about spawning the clone and fighting him effectively. This would not be a massive, comprehensive (ie. Strategy Compendium worthy) guide, but a (hopefully) brief overview with all the pertinent questions addressed.

If I did write such an FAQ and it were stickied to the top of the Community Forums here, it would hopefully capture incoming questions and end the flood of new threads. It would also exist as a resource for gathering new and old information alike -- hopefully all in one place.

My question for the Community is: Would you be interested in seeing a DClone FAQ and would it be in the best interests of purediablo.com for such a guide to exist? Please post your comments when you vote.

If enough interest/positive feedback exists, I will write the Q&A up this weekend and post it on Monday.

Thanks for offering Dredd ...
Although I would like to see DIABLO CLONE HIMSELF more than a thread ... to date, he has alluded me.

At least there would be a post to point people to because you will still have post's about the DC.

Just like the Pit guide, people still posted many questions when all the answers were right at the beging of the forum.

Was there not one written up before the forums crash? I seem to remember a kinda tossed together guide, not organised or anything, just there to give some helpful points. If you want to make a full fledged organised guide, i'm right behind you, I have had enough of these topics that seem like DClone questionnaires.

ericbres said:
Thanks for offering Dredd ...
Although I would like to see DIABLO CLONE HIMSELF more than a thread ... to date, he has alluded me.
It's really weird that Diablo would have made an indirect reference to you... ;)

Shadow_247 said:
Was there not one written up before the forums crash? I seem to remember a kinda tossed together guide, not organised or anything, just there to give some helpful points.

I seem to remember such a thread, although not many people looked at it because the title was something like "DC NOW HELP PLZ" -- which was then hijacked into a pointers thread. :p

I would normally have just written up the FAQ and posted it without asking the community; however, the IP hunting subject is somewhat controversial and I don't want to post public information about it unless the vast majority of people here think it's okay.

I just point people to the World Event link on the front of the Dii site. I dont see much use for a guide, JMHO.
Sin

The way to spawn him is very easy and killing him is a matter of equip and right chars. So far, my zealot has been doing extremely well against him, as my hammerdin, and as my IK barb. I dont know about blizzard/lower resist wand.

Usufruct said:
It's really weird that Diablo would have made an indirect reference to you... ;)

LMFAO, I darn near fell out of my chair when i finally caught that, I'm so used to reading what people mean instead of what they type I had to read it three times to catch it. But then thats what makes it so hilarious :)

Although I would like to see DIABLO CLONE HIMSELF more than a thread ...

Just like Ericbres, I have not seen DC yet, and my barb would love to have his own annihilus... I am sure a FAQ or a guide would help.

The problems I met: At first, I did not know how to spawn DC. Then, I wondered how to identify my server. Once I knew that, I wondered where I could learn which servers are hot. I unsuccessfully tried to connect to dedicated servers such as quakenet. Then I found a forum, I watched the messages, learned that 225 had been hot for 3 days (!). By pure luck (mfing), I got connected to that server, only to get kicked/idle after 4 minutes (???), and be unable to rejoin my game (???). He spawned a few minutes after that, lol.

Up to know, my DC quest has been a long list of questionments and disappointments. And I still don't know where in the game he could spawn (for example if I am in Harrogath), and how to kill him (is there a special method/elemental attack?).

So yes, a guide/FAQ would be welcomed...

And my .50€ to the controverse: Identifying your IP and trying to connect to hot servers without the help of a bot is not cheating, it is making a normal use of the game and of the features on your PC. It is not encouraged by Blizzard? So are cow runs, meph runs, trade forums, anni trade, etc.

I cannot resist to give you my feeling about some pains-in-the-*** on Bnet and in particular on these forums: judgemental people. Please guys, stop complaining about what other players do or don't do. Everyone plays D2 his own way, and will continue doing so. So if you don't like it, watch somewhere else and let people be.

Last but not least, I would love to see a forum here dedicated to IP games. I hate having to visit the competition!

Thank you, Dredd.

Hmmm, I think I will work on writing up an FAQ this weekend but rather than post it on Monday, I think I'm going to wait a bit and hopefully get some more opinions.

We've yet to have a serious debate on the legitimacy (or lack thereof) of hunting IPs and I'm interested in everybody's thoughts; so please, use this thread as a platform for that discussion if you wish. I'm staying out of the debate myself but I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

I'll make a decision about posting the FAQ sometime in the coming week.

Those of you who feel they have excellent class, build and gear ideas for DClone killing and wish to contribute to the FAQ -- consider writing that information down. If I decide to write this guide up, I'll post an email address where you may contribute your knowledge.

I think it sounds like a good idea....

I don't know all the details about this IP hunting thing, but from what I've gathered it seems legitimate. You're not actually doing anything to the game files or screwing with the packets your game and the server is sending back and forth... as far as I know it doesn't violate the ToS....

IP hunting does not violate the TOS as such as it in no way modifies any of the game files. As far as I know the netstat command just check on your local machine wich IPs you're connected to and dosen't send any packets or pings to those IPs. If Blizzard wanted to find out if you ran this command they would need to invade your privacy and that would be illigal. Using a 3. party auto IP hunter program on the other hand is against the TOS. Also we need to remember that Blizzard basicly have written the TOS so that we couldn't do a thing if they decided to wipe every single char on the realms, they don't really need a reason. With this in mind we might want to remember that it will take on average 100-200 tries to connect to a hot server. Many players making games very fast will make the servers lag and this might be seen by Blizzard as actions they don't like and poff went the account.
Once this is said they would almost have to have thought about this before they made Big D like this so I would say that A) They belived no one would find out the trick, B) They didn't think at all, or C) They like duped sojs even less than rapid game creation.

Could I make a suggestion?

Whatever form the DC guide takes, could we please, please get the definitive word on whether he spawns only in Hell difficulty games, or in all difficulties? I was in a Normal game the other night, and the SOJ counter was going nuts. There was a full-fledged flamewar raging over whether DClone would spawn or not, since it was a Normal game.

After things calmed down, me and a pally stuck around to see if Big Red would show up. He didn't. But I understand it takes a while, and I had to get to bed... ;)

I was just in a Nightmare game where the counter was also moving, but again, I've got to go to bed...oh, well. Anyway, I'd like to know for sure what the story is.

Tanith :)

I have personally never seen him walk the earth in any other difficulty besides hell -- in spite of having an active soj counter and being present on a hot IP. Since I've never seen him on Norm or NM with my own eyes, I can't confirm that he can appear in those difficulties.

However, d2data lists his full stats and drop probabilities for all three difficulties, which means he should be able to walk in any game ...

That may not be the case though. I'll certainly take the time to look into this though. I don't like to speculate, so I'm not going to confirm that he walks in any difficulty until I see it with my own eyes.

no offense to anyone but do you honestly believe that a stickied guide would prevent people from asking the same questions over and over again? I mean, just think what happened with the Pit guide, it was stickied previously and still people asked about them several times every day. Same with all the class forums with stickies.

People simply don't use the search function of these forums and they don't read what's on the first page, not even the thread names that's on the top of the list.

Sad but true...

Sure we can, and of course there's always people who would notice it before posting their questions about it. But guides like that and well, every other guide too, never prevent all the questions since some people are just too lazy to even bother to look for the information themselves.

My vote was yes for a guide. I have one charm, non-ladder. An aquaintance of mine and all his other buds kept dying, so he asked me to help. I was offered the charm, after my 91 concentrate barb got DC, as no one else had a shot against him. I have never seen DC on ladder, but have helped ppl with him on non-ladder several times. I'd love a guide from start to finish on how to get him to appear for me (so that I can get the charm in ladder, since I don't get it if I'm helping and it's not offered).

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High