D3 on May 15th!

It keeps it more free from cheats because they keep a good portion of the game server side. This allows them to be more aggressive with potential hacks and to resolve issues without a compete patch. It won't make it perfect, but it will solve a lot of the issues that plagued online D2. In a perfect world we could have both SP and a way to stop hacks on bnet, but that's impossible.

Re: D3 on May 15th!

I'm ready, but my excitement has been worn out and cannot approach the stellar highs of the first announcement so many years ago. The real money auction house is also stinky, and I plan to boycott it.

I hope to be able to continue to play with many awesome SPF residents, many of whom I have MP'd with in the past. :wave:

Last time I checked, duping on battle.net did not involve anyone actually hacking the server but was kinda relying on lag or other glitches. So I don't really see that argument fly. But I admit I didn't look into it that much as my interest in both cheating and battle.net is limited at best.

Either way, whatever the reasons are, and I am pretty sure it's all about money, that's enough to make me not want the game at all anymore.

Last edited:
you do realize the above will be quoted & used against you when there are dupe-methods & hacks all over D3 3-4months after release, correct? :wink:

some people want to cheat. Most of these people are just as good or better at coding as most dev teams. Especially with the potential to make money 'legitimately' built-in, it will be a feeding frenzy. I mean, I am sure that Blizz will try to prosecute said hackers who profit from such, but the problem with that is that most of the countries where this is most prevalent don't care about what some corporation wants to do, or their countries laws. Go ahead & try to bring such a case to North Korea (for instance), see what they tell you.

I never said it would be cheat free, just that it would be better. Money making has been heavily involved for third parties for D2 and wow alike for many years, nothing new for D3 on that front.

Last time I checked, duping on battle.net did not involve anyone actually hacking the server but was kinda relying on lag or other glitches. So I don't really see that argument fly. But I admit I didn't look into it that much as my interest in both cheating and battle.net is limited at best.

Either way, whatever the reasons are, and I am pretty sure it's all about money, that's enough to make me not want the game at all anymore.

I'm sure ways to cheat will be found, but I think that this system will better allow them to stop/prevent them better.

Game companies' jobs are to make money, some just make it less obvious than others.

I think NF's point is making money from selling items you pick up and being able to 'buy legit' your top end gear without ANY work.

Thrilled.

A little sad that I'm going to wind up "buying" it twice. I'm going to get a free copy from the WOW Annual Pass, but I'm sure that'll be tied to that particular b.net account, which MAAAAY have personal information on it that isn't mine (I played on American servers from the UK... bit of a nightmare). So! I'll probably buy an EU copy to tie to my SC2 account so if I choose to use the RMAH I'm not going to have awkward issues b/c of that. I suppose, on the positive, I'll be able to put two characters into the same game if that'll serve some purpose.

I see a lot of comments in this thread making direct comparison to D2, I'm really trying to avoid that and just take D3 as its own game. Even if it winds up with no longevity, I'm sure it is going to be amazing for a couple of weeks or months, and that's worth a little bit of my cash and time.

FWIW, most of my issues with D3 would be addressed by them implementing a ladder system similar to D2 (which, in theory, is a race to 99 but, in practice, is nothing of the sort, it is just a way to freshen things up once every 6-12-18 months). I sort've trust that if D3 proves to have no longevity that Blizzard will design something to give it.

Last time I checked, duping on battle.net did not involve anyone actually hacking the server but was kinda relying on lag or other glitches.

In the early days of the expansion on Bnet there was a true server hack that allowed one to bring characters from open Bnet, where the characters reside on a players' computer, into closed Bnet games. This was the source of the blatantly hacked items that still exist on non-ladder. I have read of rumors of people being able to directly import items more recently, but they are merely rumors and likely false.

For me, this is purely a **** move to enforce DRM some more and make everyone more likely to use the RMAH to get the cash flowing.

+1 to this!

Blizz isn't happy just selling games anymore - they want the games to generate a continuous flow of cash, and to do that, you have to have total control over people playing the game. Blizz was an innovator back when D1 and D2 came out, but the innovative team left in the meantime, and what will come out on May 15 is the product of the faciliators of Blizz mgmt's command.

Those innovators (Max and Erich Schaefer) are very close to having a direct competitor to D3, which has NONE of the Big Brother controls that D3 will have, and that's Torchlight 2. Having a go-to alternative makes boycotting D3 very easy for me.

I don't think anyone has mentioned this, but I also dislike the art style of D3. That's also why I never got into Dota2 either, gave away my beta keys. What is it with these new games and cartoony/lame graphics.

I will get D3 for sure and play, hopefully with some people from here. I have enjoyed D2 far too much to not get D3, I will most likely not use the online auction the same way that I don't trade today. Since I have never played on bNet I don't know if I would like it or not. As for Blizzard making money: of course; they are a company doing business...

Nobody says they shouldn't make money. Like I said, I enjoy spending money on a good product. But there's making money and then there's being a **** about it. I own two copies of D2 because I couldn't get my hands on an english version of the game when it first game out. Did I download the english one illegally because I had already paid for a german copy of the game? No I didn't. I paid the full price twice and I didn't mind. Because I felt D2 was worth it. I do not feel that way about D3, even though I have a ton more money now than I did over 10 years ago and could easily afford it. But it's not about being able to afford it. I've bought the Witcher 2 on release date simply because it does not have this DRM ****. I can't even run the game on my computer. But someday I'll get one that can run it and by paying full price for it now I'm showing my support for the concept.

I take offense at being checked upon literally every time I play the game. It's like I cannot be trusted not to steal if I'm not constantly being watched. Maybe, just maybe, I could stomach that if I could at least play the way I want to. Offline. Preferably with something like ATMA to support me. Also, if they at least came right out and said "Look guys, this is a business decision. This will make us more money", I might be able to get over it. But they're putting forth half assed excuses a 5 year old would see through. The fact that they think I'm stupid enough to believe that is just as big an insult as constantly supervising my legitness.

I know it's just 50$, but it's my 50$ and I'm keeping them. Not because I can't spare them, but because I'm taking a stand here. This far. And no further. If this is the way gaming's going, I'm done with gaming.

Nobody says they shouldn't make money. Like I said, I enjoy spending money on a good product. But there's making money and then there's being a **** about it. I own two copies of D2 because I couldn't get my hands on an english version of the game when it first game out. Did I download the english one illegally because I had already paid for a german copy of the game? No I didn't. I paid the full price twice and I didn't mind. Because I felt D2 was worth it. I do not feel that way about D3, even though I have a ton more money now than I did over 10 years ago and could easily afford it. But it's not about being able to afford it. I've bought the Witcher 2 on release date simply because it does not have this DRM ****. I can't even run the game on my computer. But someday I'll get one that can run it and by paying full price for it now I'm showing my support for the concept.

I take offense at being checked upon literally every time I play the game. It's like I cannot be trusted not to steal if I'm not constantly being watched. Maybe, just maybe, I could stomach that if I could at least play the way I want to. Offline. Preferably with something like ATMA to support me. Also, if they at least came right out and said "Look guys, this is a business decision. This will make us more money", I might be able to get over it. But they're putting forth half assed excuses a 5 year old would see through. The fact that they think I'm stupid enough to believe that is just as big an insult as constantly supervising my legitness.

I know it's just 50$, but it's my 50$ and I'm keeping them. Not because I can't spare them, but because I'm taking a stand here. This far. And no further. If this is the way gaming's going, I'm done with gaming.

Very well put.

I'll be staying on D2 too, but the main reason is that from all the gameplay I've seen, I don't get the slightest feeling that this game is 'Diablo'. It seems more like WoW/GW, and I don't like that.

There are also just too many things to want to try out in D2, and with suggest an amazing forum community with a wealth of information, I can't help but want to try more. First step was starting hardcore, and the next is anything else I desire! (if I can manage without dying, of course!)
^I too also feel it doesn't really look like it would feel like a Diablo game, but I am very limited in my experiences for other types of games similar to those.

It keeps it more free from cheats because they keep a good portion of the game server side. This allows them to be more aggressive with potential hacks and to resolve issues without a compete patch. It won't make it perfect, but it will solve a lot of the issues that plagued online D2. In a perfect world we could have both SP and a way to stop hacks on bnet, but that's impossible.

I am sorry to say so but restricting the large portion of a game to server side will not help too much. Battlefield 3 is a great example, working in IT for a consultant company and having a colleague that worked on BF3 I can tell you that there are some really talented tech savy guys out there that create all kinds of cheats just using the data output they receive from connecting to the server and playing. I mean this is people that only get to see tcp traffic and they break it down and reshape it to give them advantages.

On the other hand I think there is a small overreaction on fishy's part. They are not saying that all people that play single player are disgusting hackers, they are saying that leaving more code on client machines facilitates the process of creating cheats and hacks that might be used to attack the servers (after modifications of course). But in the end I agree that this is argument is blatant bull****, having code client side just facilitates for the less technical/smart/skillfull people, the thing with cheats is that once somebody has cracked it the information is shared at incredible speeds.

They should have been truthful in the first place and just said "We earn more cash like this". I will be buying the game since to date no Blizzard game has let me down, but I am getting more sceptic to see the old school developers working with companies such as Activision and EA (Bioware let me down on Mass Effect 3, not to mention the horrible joke that was Dragon Age 2).

Sincerely,
Ordeith

I think the the cheating will be close to WoW levels. There's the very rare speedhack (I have never seen one), spamming in chat (you are allowed to post in /trade chat a limited number of times/one minute) and some very simplistic botting. Dupes are virtually impossible. I have played the game since 2005, and cheating has been a very minor issue. At least when compared to D2 and battle.net (dupes etc.).

Interested to see how the allure of RMAH and real $$ figures into this.

from all the gameplay I've seen, I don't get the slightest feeling that this game is 'Diablo'.

I spent some time in the beta and I'd say the gameplay felt like a really nice progression of 'Diablo'. For a comparison, many moons ago, I absolutely hated the cartoon love parade that D2 is compared to D1! Obviously, I've come to love D2 in its own way but it took a couple of almighty hurdles to get me there. Maybe I see D3 like that... a couple of almighty hurdles, but there may be a great game hiding in there somewhere. Much of my move from D1 to D2 was because D1 became extremely dated. D2, much like D1, is still an incredibly playable game, but it is certainly dated (... says the guy who refuses to move past Champ Man 01/02, heh).

Also, FWIW, I've had an active WOW subscription since 2005 and the games feel nothing alike to me (perhaps the similarities start, and end, with "Blizzard" and "Fantasy RPG"). In my couple of posts I seem to come off quite pro-D3, which probably isn't quite the case, I have some serious misgivings about the game... particularly about longevity.

WRT cheating/hacking and all that, I'd say the RMAH and online-only status of the game encourage me that Blizzard will deal with those issues, perhaps it'll offer a little more incentive than they had in the past. Much like a previous poster, in all my years of WOW I came across very little cheating/hacking, which had almost no impact on my gaming experience. There have been some notable examples of bug exploitation in WOW but that's a different story (and most of those notable exploits wound up with mass bannings or other serious account actions). As for concerns about accounts being banned on a whim I'm not sure I know of anyone who had serious account action taken against them unjustly. I know many people who got forums bans (permanent of temporary), or even temporary bans from the game, but they all know exactly why that happened.

I'm a bit more concerned about phishing. Though, if WOW sets the standard, Blizzards tend to act excellently towards compromised accoutns, when push comes to shove.

I have very little experience with hacking and other such matters, so my opinion is mostly based on second hand information. I think that the way they have handled WoW is a good indication of how they will handle D3, and that is good I think.

Agree with what nightfish has said, but I'll probably end up buying it when it becomes a bit cheaper just to see what it's like.

Also, I don't know how this is gonna work, but I'd like the spf as a community to continue, even in d3. I checked out the d3 forums on this site, and suffice to say, I'd rather not buy the game if I have to discuss it with the people there.

Went through most of the topic and i figured i'll give some input on my own.

I've got back into D2 like 4-5 months ago, and i'm enjoying it a lot. Mostly thanks to the community here on d2inc. Whish i could play with some peeps here, gues ill make a wowlike aplication and see where that gets me.
About d3..
Tbh, saying anything about that game now is premature. Yes, there's a beta out, rather limited i would say, it gave people a blink into the games mechanics and what not, but u can't say the game sucks or its great, gota play it trough, gota chew it for a couple of months, the whole game. Graphic wise it looks awesome, but the better the graphic, the harder it is for the machine to digest the thing, so for me that's a big factor. I have a laptop, not gona go into details, i would say it would run it, but with all the things that will go on while u slash your way trough the acts, if it slows down, I wont be able to enjoy it, but thats just me. Imagine if there was frenzy in d3 and u would move around at the speed of a bullet how your machine would feel. What i'm trying to say, and this is my stance, is that games tend to suck mainly cuz the developers push the graphics to the edge. Idk..guess its just my taste, but from what i saw from beta, the characters move slower then a snail.
Real money AH: i dont realy want to go into details on this one. I understand blizzards move, they had no control over this in d2, now they got monopoly over the market, thats a good thing, it's more secure. Other than that, screw the whole thing. Poeple gona sell everything , including their sisters panties for a w.e rune or unique item tehy desire.
Online gameplay and them watching you: yeah thats right, they want to know when you play their product so tehy can keep an eye on you, the whole battlenet launched with sc2 was aimed at this. One of the reasons i'm hesitating to buy it, what i enjoy the most about d2, is that i can play without internet, whenever i want, not when they let me, cuz we all know the servers gonna be under a lot of pressure, patches and what not, making gameplay a bad experience, like wow all over again for me..bleh..
Cheats: i saw a comment that said that blizzard handled cheaters ina good way in wow. What a joke, blizzard was cattering cheaters in wow, they banned the chars not the accounts, they kept cheating up cuz it ment revenue for them. How come, that after 6 years of wow, and all that "effort" there were hundreds of bots and cheaters running rampart over all the servers. Please...dont kid yourself, blizzard loves cheaters, the two goes hand in hand.

Will i buy it? - no, not for now, i want to see the reaction from the sheeple and get a glimpse of the feedback before i dive in, if i ever dive in

Think this is it...maybe if the topic evolves ill give more input.

This.

I know not what price Diablo 3 will be paid with, but Diablo 4 will be paid with pound of flesh.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High