D2r Patch 2.4

I think Obedience could be useful for Fend now that it attacks twice as fast. I had moved over an amazon to try out the Fend changes with both an Arioc's and an upped Lycander's, and damn she attacked super fast. I'm so glad there is no more Fend bug with the new changes and you can actually play it with a Valkyrie.
That's good to hear! I'll have a use for this then:

Superior Matriarchal Spear
Two Hand Damage: 65 - 95
Durability: 19 of 28
Required Level: 45
Required Strength: 114
Required Dexterity: 142
Fingerprint: 0xf4ee003b
Item Level: 85
Version: Expansion 1.10+
+3 to Javelin and Spear Skills (Amazon Only)
+1 to Attack Rating
5 Sockets (0 used)

Unfortunately, I don't have a non-superior one with +3.

Reactions: Vildecor
My thoughts:

- I don't like letting the Rogue use Amazon bows because I don't like obsoleting all the non-Amazon-specific runeword bases. That change feels like it will actually reduce diversity.
- The buffs to the Bowazon's physical damage are pretty big, that wasn't a bad build before...
- More work on Impale is good
- Sword Mastery -> Blade Mastery is a nice change
- Figuring out how the pure Summoner Druid should work will be interesting, you can make a nice army but how do you deal with PIs?
- Were the mana costs of Blood and Fire Golem a problem?
- I couldn't get Thorns to be good enough in the last PTR, maybe this time?
- Cool change to Holy Bolt.
- The new Barb merc is cool.

- Figuring out how the pure Summoner Druid should work will be interesting, you can make a nice army but how do you deal with PIs?
One of the wolfs have cold damage now (Dire wolfs i think).
You could also rely on Lawbinger on yourself (e.g. as bear) or on a A5 merc.
As a hunter, you have a couple options, either CtC amp damage on Witchwild string or even Harmony Elemental damage.
I guess a Firebear/Summoner hybrid will be a bit too skill point intensive, but maybe possible.

The Iron wolve merc also enchant now, which may be viable, if all the summons take the heat off of the Merc a bit.

So many chars to try out, once the patch hits.

• Wow
Reactions: coju
throw barb changes are nice. It's a weird way of solving the issue though.. essentially endgame you won't have to worry about quantity, but early on you will? And you'll be able to use eth throwing weapons. The skill doesn't make any sense though if you just think about it. Chance to not use ammo and replenish ammo on crit, but like logically why would a barbarian get back throwing weapons on crit or not use one when they throw one? Doesn't make sense. If you're going that far, then just remove the quantity and make it durability or something. It's basically the same change and then low level characters can benefit as well. Get rid of the quant, give them dura, and then also get rid of quiver quantity as well.

Yes, they need to remove the quantity overall. It doesn't serve any purpose on any weapon. What's the point going back to town every once in a while to repair a Titan's revenge for 1 gold? Or running out of Arrows and Bolts? just equip your bow and you have infinitive arrows.

I could start saying the same for many more stuff like the keys to open chests.
JUST BREAK THE CHEST!!

Yes, they need to remove the quantity overall. It doesn't serve any purpose on any weapon. What's the point going back to town every once in a while to repair a Titan's revenge for 1 gold? Or running out of Arrows and Bolts? just equip your bow and you have infinitive arrows.

I could start saying the same for many more stuff like the keys to open chests.
JUST BREAK THE CHEST!!
Hard disagree. Dura, quantity and arrows do enable RP and Challenges/Tournaments. You start to streamline these things and soon D2R is closer to D3 than you think/want.
Let us remove potions too while we are at it, or mana and replace it with cooldowns and turn fcr into cooldown reduction. It is too annoying to buy potions and they just clutter the screen anyway. Much easier with CDs...

I get it, its annoying, but quantity was quite a big issue for throwbarb and this diminishes it, without outright removing quantity.

IMO they should actually lean into it more and add affix/suffixes that interact with quant/dura, like chance to consume additional dura for extra damage/procs, etc. Make these systems more interesting/important and it can add value, like increasing importance of eth weapons in combination with offsetting the degradation with additional affixes/suffixes like autorepair or proc to replenish/repair.

I don't doubt that as long as it exists (quantity) you can experiment around it with Tournaments and Challenges as you said but this is a completely fan based concept. From a gameplay aspect it's completely outdaded.

Thunderstroke has very poor popularity because of this. You literally need to go to town very often. At least increase the quanity to a large capacity and adapt the price of repairing it accordingly.

Your examples about potions and FCR and so on are on a completely different direction that would change the Gameplay of the game.

I don't blame the developers for anything. This is how D2 was and it seemed perfectly fine back then. With D2R, they try to bring many QoL stuff which are needed otherwise everyone would simply stick to D2L. Nobody really cares about the Graphics.

Last edited:
Reactions: Coyote_Sly and coju
Nobody really cares about the Graphics.
Graphics 'upgrade' is still preventing me from buying. I dont like the new character acceleration/deceleration, the interface seems a bit copied over from 'other' diablo projects and the character select screen screams world of warcraft.

I secretly hope someone comes along and mods 1.14d with the changes coming in 2.4 :p

One of the wolfs have cold damage now (Dire wolfs i think).
You could also rely on Lawbinger on yourself (e.g. as bear) or on a A5 merc.
As a hunter, you have a couple options, either CtC amp damage on Witchwild string or even Harmony Elemental damage.
I guess a Firebear/Summoner hybrid will be a bit too skill point intensive, but maybe possible.

The Iron wolve merc also enchant now, which may be viable, if all the summons take the heat off of the Merc a bit.

So many chars to try out, once the patch hits.
So maybe something like... this? The summons are the main damage dealers (Maxroll thinks 2500 damage from the Ravens?!), and the PI plan is a combination of Amp from WWS and Scarab and act 3 fire merc for Enchant (great idea btw).

I'd assume that reaper's toll on act 2 merc or WWS on act 1 merc would do it.

A hunter druid with WWS and Atma's Scarab might work well.

Graphics 'upgrade' is still preventing me from buying. I dont like the new character acceleration/deceleration, the interface seems a bit copied over from 'other' diablo projects and the character select screen screams world of warcraft.

I secretly hope someone comes along and mods 1.14d with the changes coming in 2.4 :p

Just a heads-up (not that I think it will change anything for you), but you can play in legacy mode (old graphics)

My biggest complaint about the character select screen is there is no difference between soft and hard core characters. Sad.

I do enjoy the graphic upgrades. Full stop.

The starting/stopping animation was odd but I forgot about or close my eyes when that happens.

Just a heads-up (not that I think it will change anything for you), but you can play in legacy mode (old graphics)
Yea, id like to see a few minutes of gameplay using these settings. From the few moments I've seen streamers do it, it looks like it is actually a downgrade from the original graphics somehow...?

yeah
Yea, id like to see a few minutes of gameplay using these settings. From the few moments I've seen streamers do it, it looks like it is actually a downgrade from the original graphics somehow...?
yeah legacy on d2r is horrendous. Absolutely disgusting looking to me. For some reason, one streamer I watch does switch to it while shopping.. idk.

Question: Is there a difference in PTR and LIVE currently?

Just a heads up, if you made a patch runeword, they disappeared from SP characters. I lost my Flickering Flame.

Just a heads up, if you made a patch runeword, they disappeared from SP characters. I lost my Flickering Flame.
So the updated 2.4 didn’t have any SP files in it. Do I need to bring them over from the other folder?

It seems they have re-screwed up wereform attacks. Keep your Dual Dream Bear Sorcs in 1.14d.

Reactions: Coyote_Sly
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High