Choice of combat Skill for a 1.10 Defiant, take 2

The guys in the pally forum were taking about 45k+ defense, although that's with B.net gear.

I'll definitely be going with a Might merc, but since Smite always hits and isnt' affected by IAS (I think), Fanatacism probably isn't necessary.

Leech DOES NOT work with Smite. However, I've heard Life Tap mentioned a couple of times. Has anyone actually confirmed that this works with Smite?

If only the Barb mercs would Shout. I'd give him some defiance, he'd give me some Shout, we'd dominate all comers.

Go with the smite...here's the reasons why

1. crushing blow works with it, along with static/other triggers. Open wounds etc also works with it.

2. Smite speed is decided by your weapon speed, the faster the weapon, the faster you smite. Use this.

3. The best weapon for you is really easy to get: Crescent moon runeword (static & CB with smite=deadly)

4. As a defiant you concentrate on the defensive side, meaning HS will be up along with defiance, which synergizes with HS giving even more boost to defense....makes sense to use it with a skill related to those.

5. In the days of zealots, hammerdins and avengers where no one smites, be original and do it :)

6. Life tap works with smite

Well, my first Defiant has begun. He's planning on Max Smite, Defiance, Holy Shield, and Redemption (for extra craziness).

Depending on how much I enjoy the Defiance/Holy Shield combination, I may try another Defiant with Max Sacrifice and Zeal instead of Smite and Redemption. Or possibly Fanat instead of [max] Zeal, depending on if I find defense to be high enough without an active Defiance aura.

EDIT: Almost forgot -- my Smiter will use Lightsabre/HoZ on switch. ITD, ML, and 5 swing Zeal at the touch of a button.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High