99 theorycrafting and stuff like that

Anyone have a Barbarian with Brand on switch to proc amp on the waves, or is that too rich even by today's standards? The proc chance seems high enough for this too seem semi-viable, and the level of the Amp is high enough to cover every single monster in a wave.

Though to be perfectly honest, my main concern with a WW barb is that you'll eventually run into that Lister pack with VERY bad mods that is just going to kill you outright. Using a shield doesn't seem viable because you won't do enough damage, and 2x Grief (or grief/beast - I don't feel lucky enough to roll Grief in an axe) and ~10K def or whatever you'll end up with still leaves you wide open to getting pwned at some point.

Another factor is what I'd like to call the annoyance factor, and that is probably the number one reason we only have a single lvl 99 Barbarian. The mana burn, chasing wave 2 skeletons all over the place (Enigma helps), decrep changing your ww speed, killing Baal, etc. Despite these factors, you can still do a run fast enough to eventually reach 98/99 or whatever your goal is, but it's so annoying to play. For example it might be worth it to wear Nature's Peace just to have to deal less with wave 2 skeletons because many of them will die when you kill the big ones.

I know that someone has a lvl 98 Barb at least. If you are reading this, what gear did you run Baal with?

Annoyance level:

Hammerdin (CS): 1
Lightsorc (Baal): 2
WW Barb (Baal): 9

I did level a Barb that way from 95 to 96, it was fun, but I was doing a lot of gear switching when I reached the waves - Enigma/Fort, Suicide Branches/Brand. I also used BerBer CoA so, yeah, it wasn't cheap.

Whoa, first time I've found this thread. Is it still an option to run AT until 98? Then Nihl to 99? Or is CS/Baal the best options.

Yes it is, I am doing it with Sorc on HC.

Forget the Brand bow. It doesn't work, tried it. Also, you'd probably want 2 wizardspike on switch for faster teleport.

You can use inventory space for extra "weapon switch" if you don't mind loosing a few charms. You can also use merc for Enigma/Fort switch as Fort is more useful when you reach the waves.

I did level a Barb that way from 95 to 96, it was fun, but I was doing a lot of gear switching when I reached the waves - Enigma/Fort, Suicide Branches/Brand. I also used BerBer CoA so, yeah, it wasn't cheap.

How would you run a Untwinked SP No-Mule No-trade HC WW Barb to 99?

How would you run a Untwinked SP No-Mule No-trade HC WW Barb to 99?

IMO the fastest way would be LK/Travincal running for runes for Enigma and dual PB Griefs, then running p8 Pits until 98 and then Nihl + Ancients for 99. I would respec to Berserk for Nihl. Still, this would take a looong time, and probably few deaths before it's done.

EDIT: Running Baal's minions instead of Pits is also a way to go but then you can't save the Ancient quest for 98.

If you check the stickies you'll see that in SPF there's a mod that enables ladder only runewords in single-player. Some players don't use it, most do use it.

LK= Lower Kurast (popping chests again and again for nice runes and charms, etc)

LK=Lower Kurast (superchests).

You can use RWM mod which is allowed here on the forums that enables ladder only runewords. If you don't want to use it than maybe Beast+Beast.

Either way you are looking at no less than 500 hours of gameplay if not much more.

You can do it in much less time in 1.09 version of the game if you want, check the 1.09 thread for more info.

LK=Lower Kurast (superchests).

You can use RWM mod which is allowed here on the forums that enables ladder only runewords. If you don't want to use it than maybe Beast+Beast.

Either way you are looking at no less than 500 hours of gameplay if not much more.

You can do it in much less time in 1.09 version of the game if you want, check the 1.09 thread for more info.

Thanks for the info zgpmf, been a while since I've been here, a lot of acronyms that I've forgot :whistling:

If you check the stickies you'll see that in SPF there's a mod that enables ladder only runewords in single-player. Some players don't use it, most do use it.

LK= Lower Kurast (popping chests again and again for nice runes and charms, etc)

Thanks, I've never really thought about chests much before as I try to just grind XP, but thinking ahead it sounds smart to be able to keep grinding once the heavy xp penalties comes to play..

Well, i've read most of this thread an its lot of usefull information stored here, but i will ask You anyway...So, i've finally installed 1.13 patch and started sept of characters, its called Project Avengers (based on Marvels movies/comics), but thats not important anyway...Barbarians were always my favourite class, so i basically started with Hulk, WW, Swordbarian...At the same time i've realized, that this will be great opportunity to give a lvl 99 try...So far, highest lvl i've reached in Diablo 1.11 was lvl95, purely on p1 Pindle runs, and it was with Grom, my Tomby whirler, so i have no idea whats waiting for me behind this lvl...

Anyway, Hulk reached Guardian status so far (decided against saving the Ancients - remember, sept rules :crazyeyes: ) and is running two main areas with p3 setting - Pit and Chaos Sanctuary...Pit is much faster and more safe, which is important, because i play HC only, but its relatively slow progres with only p3, despite decent gear (Grief PB, Fortitude etc)

So, what i need to know is - where is the best (read fastest to lvl up) place for WW Barbarian, the players setting and possibly best possible gear for such area?

There are some additional information about Hulk:

Lvl 90 (close to 91) HC Barbarian

Skills:

20 WW
20 Sword mastery
20 BO
10+ Hork
5+ Shout, Howl

1 in Berserk, BC etc

Future points will go to Shout, probably

As for Hulks gear:

Head: IK helmet - will be replaced by Arreats as soon as he gets one
Armor: Fortitude Archon Plate
Weapon 1: Grief PB
Weapon 2: Lawbringer PB - mostly for Sanctuary aura, will be replaced by second Grief, just need one more GUL
Switch: Two Heart carvers for Hork
Gloves: LoH
Belt: SoE
Boots: Nats for res and FRW, don't have Gores or Travelers so far
Amulet and ring 1: Angelics combo for AR
Ring 2: Dual leech rare

He has around 3.5k hitpoints, still having some problems in Chaos, very rarely in Pits too (usualy against nasty archers)...

As You can see, not really started yet, but i will do my best to push him as far as possible...

Any sugestions about lvling, gear will be welcomed...

Ahh, i forget, no use for respec, thats another part of sept rules

Thanks

Hello RIP!

Throne is definately the place to go for level 98 as a Barbarian. But you probably need a slight gear upgrade before to comfortably pull it off on /players8
Enigma is a big one as it lets you reach destinations alot faster and helps you reposition the mercenary. Then there's charms which hopefully should allow you enough AR to be able to replace Angelic eventually for the sake of Highlord's or Metalgrid.
For mercenary I highly recommend Reaper's + Treachery + Kira's with IAS socketed in both Reaper's and Kira's for the fastest possible/most consistent Decrepify trigger rate.
Having never played a WW Barbarian with Grief PB myself I can't say much about the whole range 1 thing but I know that manaburn lister is one of the most frustrating things for Barbarians in the throne and therefore it might be better to go for a range 3 so you can WW and hit them from further away. Grief in Zweihanders is my recommendation for that.

If you want to run Travincal for the runes/charms but you have trouble/think its too unsafe here are some ideas:
- Get the above merc setup if you haven't
- Roll a Travincal map that has the council inside and a well inside
- Pop into Durance 1 to reposition your merc
- Use Rising Sun if you can get enough AR as it makes hydras heal you regardless of your Fire Resistance

Nice to se You Corr!

Lots very helpfull information from You, as always...I've skipped Throne in my plans because i've feared dolls...With good equipment, gloams are not that scary for me (maby i'm wrong), but dolls, heh, i simply hate them...Especially with weapon which has so low range, as You pointed out already...As for amulet, yeah, my final goal is Metalgrid, Grom used it and it was probably best choice...I have some 10/70/something GCs, some nice large charms and even som 3/10+ SCs in inventory, the rest of them are life SCs (all are +20), but still feel that this Angelic combo is necessary so far...

Merc is using freshly found Eth Reapers, Treachery and Tals Mask (don't have Kiras too), so he is relatively fine, but might be better...

With repositioning merc, You've certainly hit the nail, he is too slow and without source of teleport its too difficult to hold him at right place...I'm trying to get runes for Enigma from LK (running with the sorc) and i may try the same thing in Travincal, while using Hulk, but it probably takes some time (well, not too long with my current luck, because in month of running i've found CHAM, 4xSUR, 4xOHM, 3xVEX, 5xGUL and some ISTs and MALs)...

RWs i've created so far are CtA, Infinity (for casters, but might be choice also for fighters), Grief and Fortitude...I have nearly runes for second Grief, but i also need another CtA (first has poor +1BO roll) and Enigma of course...Not sure what to do with that CHAM (found it at Pit), BoTD with some luck might be best choice...What do You think?

Once again, thanks for Your tips and ideas, they are most welcomed :wink:

Dolls can be very problematic indeed but I think there are ways to deal with them but I would say you need Enigma first to do so.

- Roll a map that has very low tendency to spawn bosspacks inside throne room
- Teleport slowly to the entrance of baals throne room when you see dolls spawn. If there's just a few try to have the merc handle it from here otherwise teleport to the stairs and stay out of range when you are decrepified.
- If there are too many dolls just cancel that run
- If there's a few dolls but you're cursed abort the run unless mercenary can handle the dolls in less than 10-15 seconds
- Keep a Stormshield in inventory and swap it on when there are more dolls than seems comfortable. Even if you don't have maxblock with it you should still have reasonable blockrate with 136 or more Dexterity on top of the 35% PDR
- If there are many dolls but sufficient space you can drag them out of the room with enigma and then teleport over the wall in one of the sides.

~3500 hp isn't very high for a HC barbarian but I guess comes back to your inventory and perhaps some wasted stats.
Arreat's + Enigma + dual HotO on switch for baalruns gives you +10 BO though which does add quite a lot.

Well, the point is that i need Enigma first anyway...I don't have SS, so i need to find one too...and exactly 0 +skills, so thats probably reason for such amount of hitpoints...

Any sugestions for what to do with that CHAM? I don't trade, so this is not an option, so possible uses are...

1) BoTD if i ever find another CHAM
2) Doom, but i do not see many reasons to make this RW
3) Pride - interesting for dmg, but Reapers is very good too
4) If there is another option, i will be pleased to read about it

If you make an Enigma for your barbarian, make sure you go for an elite base. No shield and a breastplate doesn't give enough def to comfortably kill bad lister spawns.

So, I'm trying to level a paladin as far as I can, but I'm really quite poor so gear is an issue. He's currently a hammerdin, but I do enjoy respeccing, and I'm currently running Baal for essences.

I quite fancy /p8 Pindle for a while, having loaded him up on MF. Is it better to do Holy Bolt or FoH for this, or should I turn him into a zealot? I don't really see overloading him with MF (200-300 tops) as being able to Pindle on /p8 is what I really want.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High