23 Runeword Search Thread

dont be an idiot cherokee!! the spirit runeword is a cheap runeword and almost MADE for the sorc. faster cast rate and +2 skills and resists and +mana.

Cherokee said:
There is basically nothing that will help a sorc very much

Over 30k damage with -83% res=everything on the screen is dead.This runeword should be removed imo.

As to Spirit,I have been hearing OMG I can make godtly RW in act2 normal,it ownz!!1 blah blah blah. Actually,only elite shileds have 4 sockets so you can't make it before hell(or late nm I think).Also so far using Storm with -req jewel was considered huge in terms of strength points spent.If you want Spirit you have to invest even more and still don't have the block/dr from Storm.Skills?Hoto + Lidless=2x Spirit but less requirements.

Excuse me for being such an idiot, but I think the damage reduction and blocking from Stormshield is worth far more than the mods from a Spirit shield.

YenLao-Wang said:
dont be an idiot cherokee!! the spirit runeword is a cheap runeword and almost MADE for the sorc. faster cast rate and +2 skills and resists and +mana.

This is what we call flaming. It is prohibited and will not be tolerated. Check your PMs.

Well I was really rooting for you guys and I'm glad I was able to donate before too much hope was lost.
It's too bad that they didn't give any hints at all.

Hi again all.

First of all, I'd like to congratulate everyone here who spent time hunting the runewords, it was most impressive.

This said, I find the runewords (the ones shown on the Arreat Summit at least) generally useless.

OK, there are some that give insane damage bonus, especially for low-medium runes (Harmony, Insight, Obedience), and also a coup that give very high bonuses against Demons and Undeads, again for cheap runes (Edge, Voice of Reason). Yet, all of these seriously lack IAS to be efficient weapons once you enter Hell difficulty.

Spirit is interesting on a shield (the only one with +2 all skills), but I doubt the strength requirements are worth it. Even with enough strength, Stormshield with a facet is more or less equivalent (though the rune cost of spirit is extremely low). As for Spirit in a weapon, the unique Sorceress orbs are twice as good, and other classes will still prefer Heart of the Oak (though you can't compare the rune cost). Conclusion : a good but not overpowered word.

Fortitude is also a very good armor, albeit an ugly weapon. I find it quite balanced though (only few builds can use the +300% damage in an armor).

Two words are blatantly outpowered, though. Oath is simply outrageous, with Pul and Mal the only "expensive" runes, mods that are close to Breath of the Dying (50%IAS, up to +340% damage, indestructible, prevent monster heal), plus you can put in a Scourge or Cryptic Axe since it only takes four sockets. Finally, Grief is unbelievable : Lo and Mal are the only costy runes, and even if you roll the worse mods possible, a Phase Blade becomes almost as fast as a BotD BA, except the extra damage is not 400% - it is 1000% (yes, 1000%, and that's rounded down). If you stockpiled 5-sockets superior phase blades, you are rich.

Finally, I'd like someone to explain me the purpose of Last Wish. 3 Jahs, one Ber, one Sur, one Mal, and it's hardly better than my Bonehew. I don't get it.

Diabolic Apom said:
Fortitude is also a very good armor, albeit an ugly weapon. I find it quite balanced though (only few builds can use the +300% damage in an armor).

Finally, Grief is unbelievable : Lo and Mal are the only costy runes, and even if you roll the worse mods possible, a Phase Blade becomes almost as fast as a BotD BA, except the extra damage is not 400% - it is 1000% (yes, 1000%, and that's rounded down). If you stockpiled 5-sockets superior phase blades, you are rich.

Fortitude is ideal for a Palazon :thumbsup:

How exactly did you come to 1000%ed??????

Sokar Rostau said:
Fortitude is ideal for a Palazon :thumbsup:

The runeword doesnt add Enhanced Damage to the weapon. It adds damage. Pure and simple. So if u have a weapon with max damage 50, you get the 50 plus the range of the runeword e.g 400 which gives u a weapon with 450 max damage. I dont know if the runeword though adds only to maximum damage only or to minimum and maximum also. If it adds both to min and max then u are looking in cheap super weapon.

Sokar Rostau said:
A Phase Blade only has 31-35 base damage, which is compensated by its -30 base speed (that's why a bad Grief would be -30 with 40%IAS, which is generally faster than a Berserker Axe with 60% from BotD).
Since Grief adds damage (min and max), you have, in the worst case, 371-375 damage, which is slightly more than a +900%ED bonus. If you are lucky and roll a 400 damage bonus, that is +1100%, which I find quite apocalyptic.
I'm not sure the average melee barb will note this soon, but smiters have already dumped their Astreons.

is the added 400 damage added to weapon (min,max) or is it added to your total damage after the ed mods?

edit: 3 more things to add,

RE Grief: what does the +25% target def do on grief?

Edge: when i made edge tesreday in a pellet crossbow it also gave me a plus 8 to all atributes... this isnt listed on the mods at arreat summit, havent looked at what this site said but i thought this should be noted.

Stay on thread: you guys wanna stay on this thread until we know what all the runewords do?

Building a list

Well, according to that list spears got the Shaft Royale. Only two words for them, FORTITUDE and PHOENIX, work in spears and both are 4OS for any weapons and even certain armors (dual use words is it). Phoenix is insane, as no one will waste VEX+VEX+LO+JAH in a spear, and Fortitude still requires a LO, but also has a DOL which causes monsters to flee and that's not desirable unless it's a specific part of a build. I know barbarians and amazons won't be using either one.

That's spears (not just class specific) and orbs that have gotten the screw. Anything else?

Dawns_requiem said:
is the added 400 damage added to weapon (min,max) or is it added to your total damage after the ed mods?

AFAIK, absolute bonuses aren't affected by %ed from weapons but by %ed from non-weapons, str/dex, skills, auras etc., so a Grief weapon should combine very nicely with a Fortitude armor.

I ask myself how ITD combines with +300ar from the Faith runeword... ITD means that the defense rating is set to 0 in the chance-to-hit equation which means that ar will become cancelled out as well IIRC, so there is no point in adding +300ar as a bonus ability when ITD already comes from the Jah rune.

Hell vs. Heaven

I'm very happy they released the runewords.

I can't believe people are complaining so much about them.

That just shows how poorly spirited the D2 community has became since it's hey-day.

If you argue the point that they screwed up game balance, remember, it's a game.

My job here is done.

Adios

RuSTer's,

It is a shame that it has all ended the way it has. Still, I for one had a blast, and really enjoyed the opportunity to play with you guys and work towards a common goal. I got a lot of help along the way, but more importantly, I had a good time.

Most of the new words are out of my league, so my playing won't change much, I think. I still need some time to chew on the new ones - Spirit, Edge, Harmony all look like they might be in my future.

Anyway, thanks agai n for the ride, especially Cher0kee, Ax, Remlin on East and of course wath on west.

Uriah_Heep said:
Actually,only elite shileds have 4 sockets so you can't make it before hell(or late nm I think).Also so far using Storm with -req jewel was considered huge in terms of strength points spent.If you want Spirit you have to invest even more and still don't have the block/dr from Storm.Skills?Hoto + Lidless=2x Spirit but less requirements.
For Sorcs this is true, but I know a hammerdin who is just itching to get +2 skills, FCR, +mana, and some resists in one of the very low req paly shields, all of which can get 4 sockets. This is good because Hammerdin's are so underpowered as it is, and I am poor so don't have much hope of getting HoTo.

DudSpud

First, we lost our stickiness (I suppose it was only a matter of time).

Second, about the mule accounts... I'm currently in the process of clearing them of useless socketed items (certain ones will stay assuming they're good enough to use for any of these words) and then will perm and cubify them. I suggest using them for our own purposes, for items frequently shifted from player to player or for trades anyone can make. I think I'll stick one of each set or something on them and keep filling a few with junk jewels for crafting or trading. Still some vampirebone gloves and vampirefang belts on RuSTMules' junkzon, they might prove valuable. Anyway, if anyone else has any ideas, let me know. One more, for a third point...

Third, given I don't like putting runes - especially high ones - in low-level items, I figure there's an ideal weapon/armor that each of these new runewords goes into. Care to give suggestions, anyone?

Brand: 4OS in highest two amabows, bows or crossbows only (none are as high as JAH)
Death: 5OS in highest two two-handed swords, two-handed axes and one-handed axes (I don't see this in a phase blade, but I could be wrong)
Destruction: 5OS in giant thresher (ethereal only for mercs as charges can't be renewed)
Dragon: 3OS in archon plate, kraken shell, lacquered plate, shadow plate, sacred armor; ward, zakarum shield, vortex shield (slightly more melee-oriented Enigma without the +skills or teleport, it'll probably be used in shields more than plates)
Dream: 3OS in single highest class- and non-class--specific helms/shields
Edge: 3OS in ashwood and higher amabows, double and higher bows & siege and higher crossbows (at least my zummoner will have something to use until CLvl71)
Faith:
Fortitude:
Harmony:
Ice:
Infinity:
Insight:
Last Wish:
Lawbringer:
Oath:
Obedience:
Phoenix:
Pride:
Rift:
Spirit:
Widowmaker:
Winter:
Wrath:

I can't be the only one here who is most happy about spirits 55% fhr, in addition to it's other stats. Just that alone is worth the extra str, and the +vit bonus with the +mana bonus makes up for any points wasted into str.

Morning, all.

Updated: oh, wait, never mind.

So our sticky has been revoked, and the once-glorious RuST thread will begin its long, slow, but inexorable descent to the bottom of the forum. It was good while it lasted.

Oddly enough, I haven't spent much time examining the new words yet. I was in it (when I was in it) for the hunt. Not to mention the fact that the only sniff of wealth I've ever had in this game was when fellow RuSTers were bestowing me with generous donations. I'll get around to seeing if there's anything good for my Tesladin or my merc eventually, but at the moment I've gotten back to my quest to shave that last frame off my attack.

Possible new questing group on West: I floated an idea to freakinrican the other night. There was a guy this past summer who put together an 8-player "Journey to Hell" group on West. They played untwinked, using only what the group found while questing, and they played 8 fresh characters from act one normal through to act five hell. They would play anytime five or more players could get together, and anyone who missed a session would catch up on their own. No one levelled or quested past the rest of the group. They chose characters that were party-friendly and complemented each other. I was an alternate for a bit, and they had a blast. I, of course, worry about the time commitment, but it sounded like it might be something fun, especially over the holidays, for any RuSTers left around on West. Any interest?

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High