[2018] Weekend Warrior Tournament [by DiabloTwoinDC]

NanoMist said:
@DiabloTwoinDC - I can do a more detailed write-up of the run while reviewing the VoD. If I ever attempt this again, it's probably best that I analyze this run and optimize it further, and also to see what I can do better on my end as the player.

@Yng - My only submitted run is a 2:07 Amazon, which is so far the only class I would say I'm experienced with. I've done a few Assassin, Sorc, and Druid runs but they were in the 1:40 range, which is not bad as a beginner in those categories.

NanoMist said:
Here's the run breakdown with time and character level.

Code:
                Split    Lvl
Andariel        0:19:57  14
Duriel          0:37:33  19
Mephisto        0:55:32  23
Diablo          1:02:15  24
Baal            1:13:07  28
Andariel NM     1:28:24  33
Duriel NM       1:36:35  37
Mephisto NM     1:46:08  40
Diablo NM       1:53:00  46
Baal NM         2:00:25  53
Andariel Hell   2:08:58  57
Duriel Hell     2:15:21  57
Mephisto Hell   2:24:40  58
Diablo Hell     2:30:57  59
Baal Hell       2:45:54  62

Baal actually dies at 2:45:54, I had a 1 second delayed reaction on the timer split.

Play Notes:
-Fought Normal Andariel at P8 with a horde of Tainted.
-Got seriously lost in the Flayer Jungle looking for Flayer Dungeon.
-Sarina runs until level 23.75, to setup for level 25 after Ancients.
-Fighting P8 Lister was a struggle, that life regen was tough. Too much experience to skip, either I try lower settings, use a merc, or get good.
-Advancing to NM at level 28 was a mistake for a Frozen Orb build. I was hoping Nova could carry me to 30 in NM, but it's tough. I should have been 30 anyways if I killed all of Wave 5. Instead, I had to go back to normal and do a 2nd Baal run to get to 30 and respec to FO.
-The NDE of the game was at NM Szark. I didn't have to S&E, but I didn't want that first death.
-Ran a 2nd NM Baal run to minimize amount of leveling needed in Hell, and also to get CTA earlier. It also allows me to stay at Players1 in Hell. Advanced into Hell at level 56.8.
-Having killed most boss packs I saw in Normal and Nightmare, I had to remind myself constantly in Hell to keep teleporting and not over level. I could have left nightmare without that 2nd NM Baal run, but I wouldn't have been able to use CTA earlier.
-I reached Arreat Summit at level 59.5 and had to run an extra boss pack in Act 2 to get to 60 for Ancients.
-I got lucky with Throne monster spawns- no cold immunes, souls, or dolls. Now that I think about it, I also got lucky in the CS with De Seis and Infector not being FI/CI.

Equipment Notes:
My final gear uses the 63% FCR breakpoint, I should definitely look into 105% FCR. I want to stay with Spirit sword, that massive FHR and mana is extremely good. I could probably upgrade my charm set at level 39 for vita SC's, and maybe some skillers at level 42. I stuck with the 15 life SC's since level 17. Why do I have a stash full of 15 life SC's? I keep LLD/MLD interesting items during my MF runs, just cause I can't bear throwing them away.

drmalawi said:
The upcomming weekend I will try to make my first weekend warrior :)

I am thinking about doing the elemental double swing barb, but with dual Gimmershreds, Treachery, dual Raven Frosts and some crushing blow gear :)

drmalawi said:
RadTang said:
If I only had more time in my life I would certainly try this ! :) Nice tourney, never tried speedrunning. Always untwinked full clears :)
Give it a try :) Its pretty fun. I spent like 1h preparing, setting up a stash with items to use, a document with some benchmarks etc.

RadTang said:
@drmalawi I can participate in it but not as a full weekend run. I have quite a few items in my twink stash which were gathered by my current character. I have at least one base for Insight :D I like fresh, untwinked runs. Currently I am reading a book so can't play now but might give it a shot. Maybe even record it. :)

Trud09 said:
I liked the idea of this tourney and figured it would be a good start on getting some gear as a new player. Not sure if it fits in this category, my weekends are not the same as a typical person so I started the timer at 10pm Monday night and just ended it at 3:59 am. This fits in the 54 hour time blocks.

I used an untwinked sorc. I spent a lot of time in game during the 54 hour time blocks. I finished act 1 in about an hour and about an hour for act 2. I stopped counting after that :D

I started with charged bolt and went into nova. My build suffered about mid way through act 2 until act 5 in normal. I learned a few ways to optimize it if I decide to do this again.

In act 5 normal after I hit 32 (doing baal runs) I respected into a FO sorc.

NM was pretty straight forward. TPed around and got some exp.

I struggled through hell. I tried to do it level 59 and level to 60 along the way as some speed runners do but I couldn't do it. I kept dying and was low on gold and it went very slow. I would definitely change this part of the run next time.

In act 4 hell (or maybe a little before) I went and did some nm baal runs again until 65

Respeced into FO and Firewall maxed for chaos sanctuary and ancients.

I finished hell baal around level 65-67. I tried some various runs in hell but settled on more baal runs in nm until my timer ran out. I finished level 74. My sorc name was Halo, not sure if we have a running tally going.

Anyway, it was fun while playing. My item drops were insane this run.
I got:
10 fcr orb right away, didn't have to shop for
Anya gave me a 20 fcr orb with 2 to sorc skills ( I should have checked earlier, I didn't check until I was starting hell)
I got my first magefist from normal baal runs
I got my first shako from Meph quest in hell
A decent amount of other uniques during my run mostly on my nm baal runs. I did get an um rune in hell chaos when I quested there.

I laughed when I was doing my final nm baal running. If I got a 30+ fcr spirit then I would have hit the 105 breakpoint for fcr. I went to norm and had laz socket a sword I picked up from normal cows. I tped to the countess hoping to get a tal rune so I could finish the rune word. She dropped the rune I needed on the first attempt. I was amazed at my luck.

I go and double check I have the order right, insert the runes in my spirit, look for the fcr... and realize I didn't turn runewordmod on.

I planned to play vanilla until I killed baal hell. Figured someone would get a kick out of that.

Anyway, long write up. Let me know if my selected timing is okay. I probably played about 24 hours or so if I had to guess to get the results I did. I don't think I stand a chance on a regular weekend. I might record my next run for youtube through if you guys like watching other play.

Trud09 said:
T72on1 said:
@Trud09 Congrats. Well done !!

If you turn on the rwm after you have created the runeword, it should still work btw.
This is good to know. I will try it when I play this character again and get rwm set up. Thank you

ffs said:
Very cool, and quite amazing drops for an untwinked playthrough!

I thought about this tournament as well recently and will likely join for a weekend or two some time soon. :)

Yes, much better drops than I am accustomed to, all with under 70 mf or so.

I recommend you try it out, it was fun. I will plan to try it again in the future.

Trud09 said:
NanoMist said:
I finished this on Sunday night, but the video uploaded tonight. Here's my first attempt at a twinked Hell Sorc Speedrun. I've only ever done any% normal runs, as per speedrun.com rules- the Hell runs were just too lengthy for me to even attempt. Obviously, twinked runs (with GoMule/RWM) is not an official category, but it's a Hell run that should be much faster to complete, meaning I can actually take a character to the end of hell in a single session. It is a fun experience too, albeit frantic and chaotic at times.

Keep in mind this is a softcore run, so it's not comparable to Nightfish's HC run. Even though I didn't die, I did push hard without fear of losing items, and without that fear, I can use items like CTA. I also had respec available, another great advantage in optimizing the run.

Prepping this run took longer than the run itself, especially shopping the staves with charges that was critical for the first 2-3 acts. I shopped with my level 99 assassin in order to maximized the skill level and number of charges. The best part is the sorceress can use charges of her own skills at the same level the skill is available to her, meaning I can equip level 11 charged bolts at level 1, while other characters would need to be level 7 to equip the same staff. This allowed my sorc to power through at players8 without any mana issues.

Equipment/stats/skills shown at the end of the video.

Run finished at 2:45:55, including all muling time. Plenty of areas to improve upon, including but not limited to: Reading maps better, improving equipment selections, improving my overall play, better map RNG, remembering to go back to players1 for boss fights, trying Blizzard instead of Frozen Orb, etc...
I watched a decent amount of this run and want to try it sometime. Do you remember what version you found the level 11 charged bolt staff? When I look it up with current versions it says the max is level 10.

Good run overall and I enjoyed watching the work you put into this.

Trud09 said:
I decided to run this again untwinked with rwm on and having more experience leveling. I started yesterday at 1 and decided to record it to see how recording works. I will plan to post it on yt when I am done, there will be a lot of content. I am level 60 after playing about 10 or 11 hours.

Another sorc named Tea_Time

The only notable drop I was excited about was a 4os crystal sword while leveling to let me make spirit. I was going to try the cube recipe on some swords I found since I want to save laz socket for later. Spirit is so strong for how early you can use it.

I may try the 99 untwinked after completing this one so no gear will be added.

More updates to come.

Trud09 said:
drmalawi said:
Nice @Trud09 ! Are you just gonna do sorcs or do you have other classes and builds planned? :)
I chuckled a little bit. I like to dig into a specific project and then go variety from there. I also wanted to see how much I could improve on my last score, and wanted to keep that character pure vanilla (no rwm).

So this sorc will be my runner, first LK, then other areas from there. I will probably make a full thread about Tea_Time soon, but for now I will post my result here. After building some wealth from finding items and trading here I will likely migrate to other classes and after deciding a build for said other classes.

I wanted to get more time leveling today, I only got to play for 1 hour before my deadline at 7 pm. As mentioned I recorded the sessions. Just over 24 hours playing time. Hoping to beat the coveted **, but alas... I got to 85. Overall I am decently happy for it. It took me 6 hours to clear normal, so there is some time saving there for the next time.

I also had to make some decisions on keeping items for future characters vs selling them asap for gold that caused me some time loss.

I found 2 trang-ouls gloves (both are my first), and got 10 fcr/ 24 fhr on my first crafted belt. It took me a lot longer than I thought to find a monarch for spirit and I never did find one.

Overall had a lot of fun and will probably try it again. Probably 1-2 more untwinked before switching over to a twinked attempt. I also have the 10k leveling tournament in the back of my head, so I am leveling characters for that too :D

Trud09 said:
I did some more leveling of Tea_Time after this tourney was over and was getting burnt out playing like that.

So I decided to do another one of these since I am having so much fun with them :D

In the middle of an untwinked barb playthrough. This one has been more difficult than the sorc, I probably went to the opposite end as far as untwinked difficulty.

Sitting at Level 55 and my time runs out tonight.

I have a decent helm with +2 to barb skills. WowUrABarb is his name (based on charsi's reaction to meeting you). Did basic fighting until 30 then respected to a singing barb with concentrate with CB and black for bosses. I will be doing more baal runs tonight to finish the torney and may journey into hell with plans to Pat him later.

Trud09 said:
I made it to level 71. I was going to go higher, but my character was deleted when I S&E. I think it has to do with low disk space.

I am pretty disappointed with this and am evaluating what I want to do from here. He was going to be my mfer for items. I don't want to run another untwinked barb soon. I am going to take a little break and reevaluate from there.

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High