2016 Summer MFO Sign-Up and Running Thread

I see, thanks both.

My current map is decent (I guess???): one teleport from the way point to the entrance, 5-6 boss packs.

I will just use it to practice (I think I will pick up a lot of stuff, since I haven't built up my wealth yet ...).

I always encourage practicing before focusing on finding a map. Then again, I hate finding maps

Me too. Getting map for Baal, Travincal, LK etc. is ok, you immediately know what you rolled. Those map from areas you must test before you know is it worth anything. Takes too much time. Okay, usually first few runs reveal does map even have potential so you can definitely eliminate less optimal maps fast.

Judging from the discussion thread, I expected a lot more people to sign in. Certainly because the first 3 people to post in that thread, have refused to sign up so far ... :rolleyes:. Of course there still is plenty of time before the MFO actually begins. So come on people, join the fun !!!

I would really love to join (in a team) but there is still a question that I would like to discuss: most of you are apparently aiming for really high mf like around 600 to 800 mf. I heard from some people that 250-300 is more than enough to mf comfortably is it really a significant bump to run 800 mf ? (I know mf tops at 200 for uniques)
either my javazon or sorceress won't be able to have more than 350 mf without losing considerable kill speed. Do i still have a chance to find decent things if I participate ?
I'm not aiming for the win but being competitive would be a start.

ty

@Carawolk I don't think you need 600 - 800% mf. I'll have about 400% on my Sorc for example. There's serious diminishing returns in real mf% for uniques,

Edited, as the table appears to be wrong. See posts below.

as you can see in this table, stolen from the great mf guide on this forum:

Code:
MF____Magical *_____Rares *_Set Items *_Uniques *
0%_________0%__________0%_____0%________0%
100%_______100%________100%___100%______100%
150%_______150%________146%___145%______141%
200%_______200%________185%___183%______171%
250%_______250%________220%___215%______193%
300%_______300%________250%___242%______211%
400%_______400%________300%___287%______236%
500%_______500%________340%___322%______253%
750%_______750%________412%___382%______280%
1000%______1000%_______460%___421%______295%
1200%______1200%_______494%___448%______305%
1500%______1500%_______520%___468%______312%

Someone with 750% mf will only have 44% real mf more than somen with 400%. You definitely shouldn't loose too much killing power or survivability to up your mf to the 500+ range. Yes, the top tier players here will probably have it, and will probably still kill faster than us, but then again us mere mortals can't beat them anyway :).

With some 350 mf, good killing speed and good moving speed, you should still be able to find some decent stuff. At least that is my experience after having run a Blizzard Sorc with mf% ranging from 180% to 350% a lot lately.

Last edited:
Most people have around 600 MF (AT sorcs for example), while 700-800 MF is reserved only for barbs pretty much with 180 MF swords. Pitnecro has up to 500 MF, no more than that.

@T72on1
Soomething is strange with your table. Uniques % don't rise so rapidly.

350 MF results in 145% better chance for uniques and 205% for sets (though only 2 set items matter pretty much - Vortex Shield and Caduceus)

600 MF results in 176% for unique items and 272% for sets. That is 12.7% better than having 350% MF in farming uniques and 23% better in farming sets.

800 MF results in 190% better chance of getting uniques and 307% for sets. In comparison to 350 MF that is 18.4% better for farming uniques and 33% for sets.

Do you stand a chance with 350% MF? Yes, definitely. Someone having 600 MF is only actually 13% better than you and someone with 800MF is not even 20% better. In short, if you are 13% faster runner than player with 600MF, you are equally efficient farmer as he is. So, speed > MF overall.

ok I'm in

Please note your version/mod status.

-------------------
Baal
-------------------
Grape [1.13d SC FAM]
Pb_pal [1.13d SC FAM]
Friiser [1.14d SC FAM]
NanoMist [1.14d SC FAM]
Carawolk [1.14d SC FAM]

-------------------
Level 85 Areas
-------------------

[Pharphis - HC - 1.07 - 1.13d]
[XyleneCyanol - HC - RWM - 1.14d]
Grape [1.13d SC FAM]
[Malevolent - HC - 1.14d - FAM]

-------------------
Pindle+
-------------------

[TheNix - SC - FAM - 1.07 - 1.13d]
[XyleneCyanol - HC - RWM - 1.14d]
T72on1 [1.14d SC FAM]

-------------------
Teams
-------------------

--------------------
Availible for teams
--------------------
Grape [1.13d SC FAM]
T72on1 [1.14d SC FAM]
Carawolk [1.14d SC FAM]

also @T72on1, your table is all weird I know this one.

Yes, that one is correct.
Anyway, I thought you ask about areas, not Baal. On Baal you could be the one with most MF if you have 350. Also it doesn't really matter, Baal is all about luck, literally.

Oh I see so I could toss the Tal Rasha armor for a +2 skills armor and I would not know the difference ? good to know.

Well, I usually run Baal with no more than 250 MF, but I don't consider him good MF target, but rather xp target. But Baal is definitely one of those targets where 1 drop can bring you victory unlike in areas or Pindle in comparison.

I just finished a 5000 serie on Pindleskin and I am sick of AT and Pit for now, so I'm going to see what I can luck out on Baal thanks for the helpful infos :)

Glad you are in, Carawolk :). Any luck on those Pindle runs?

Sorry for the confusion. I already thought the difference in effective mf% was smaller than the numbers in the table I posted. Maybe it's because the guide is old and the numbers were different in older versions? Or because it's a BNet guide, althought that shouldn't matter. Anyway, again sorry, I'll edit my post.

Edit: btw, I found an Occy when doing some more CS runs. Made me realize I can use that on my main switch for the MFO, and then CoH as armor. This would net me another 45% mf and far better resists. No BO, but I don't think that is necessary for Pindle. Or at least, it shouldn't be ...

So setup will most likely be this:

Shako
Chains of Honor
Occy / Spirit
Goldwrap
Chance Guards (40%)
War Traveler (45%)
Dual Nagelring (25%/25%)
Amulet: anything with as high mf% as possible
Gheeds (38%)

This gives me around 350% mf without small mf charms, 450% mf with those. Should do, I'd think :).

Last edited:
@T72on1 Just a question, but why are you using CoH when it comes to running pindle. If I where you I would go for either Eni as mf + str option or viper for the cast and mdr combo. As a personal opinion I find CoH a rather mediocre armor atleast. Most important thing you like on eni however is 45% frw when it comes on doing pindle runs. Saves you 4 seconds maybe every run! Also frw is more important than mf when it comes to alot of pindle runs so concider using decent 40% frw boots (aldurs or ik boots prehaps).

So setup will most likely be this:

Shako
Chains of Honor
Occy / Spirit
Goldwrap
Chance Guards (40%)
War Traveler (45%)
Dual Nagelring (25%/25%)
Amulet: anything with as high mf% as possible
Gheeds (38%)

Nice setup by my book

my runs on pindle didn't go that great but was ok: eth andy visage, ormus robes arkain's valor and reapers toll were about the best items I got. Not Griffon unfortunately :/
But considering I found Ber and Sur in LK yesterday i'm not complaining.

@Treeharl The answer is simple: because I don't have an Enigma. Otherwise I would always use it for the reasons you mention. And in the absence of Enigma I would always use Tal's armor or Skullder's Ire with this setup to run Pindle. But I don't have those either. Hence CoH is the best option, as it has at least some mf and covers my resists and +skills, and also has some DR%. Also I wouldn't know why CoH is a mediocre body armor, unless you need to reach a certain fcr breakpoint, but ymmv.

Vipermagi ... it's great, but it doesn't offer me anything that CoH doesn't have. I don't need the fcr because I already reach the 63% fcr breakpoint with Spirit / Occy, which is plenty for Pindle. And MDR won't help me against Pindle either.

I agree that frw is very important when doing Pindle. However I'm already using a Harmony bow on switch for that, combined with the 25% frw on War Travelers. I don't think the extra 15% frw on boots like Aldur's will make a big difference.

Basically I tried to get quite some frw, reach the 63% fcr breakpoint, reach a decent mf% value and then focused on killing speed and survivability. The last 2 things aren't that important for /p1 Pindle, but since I already had my other goals covered, it doesn't hurt to increase them anyway.

@Carawolk Thanks :).

If those were your best drops from 5000 Pindle runs, indeed you didn't really get Lucky. I'm hoping to farm better stuff during the MFO. But rng is rng of course.

@T72on1 About using harmony switch you have the following drawbacks, you have to press w every run (believe me if your doing 5000 runs that is a lot). Also as nulio told me in my own project thread and what I know from my experience, when you switch to an aura it takes ~1 second to be fully enabled. I really guess in your case using 40% frw boots is way more convenient as using harmony on the switch. I guess the 15% frw saves you 2 seconds every run. About the mdr from viper, it does save you some hp if he is le, let alone le + conv. If you up your viper and use gull or ali baba (don't know if you have these) you could get more mf while keeping the 63 fcr bp. I would recommend you to use hoto all the way over occu, because the teleport on hit can be quite dreadfull...

For Baals i think a MF percentage of 350 is quite high. Don't know your set up or running char, but be careful you don't lose too much killingspeed and survivability. Unlike Pindle or AT's you can encounter some heavier resistance. I think most i carried during MFO is about 250. And more likely most of the time even more around 200. Granted i didn't always run with the most powerful/efficient MF-ers, but still.

Aura from harmony activates immediately, same as Fanaticism for example. No 1 second delay or anything.

I'll be sporting ~230 MF for Baaling, unless I find some more MF charms before then (not likely). Also, is it most efficient to run p1 waves/p3 Baal in terms of drops? I would imagine most of the qualifiers will be coming form the big guy himself. I'll be running p8/p3 regardless, since I'm also doing this for the XP, but it might be nice to know in case I need to make a last minute push.

Realized I never put myself down for teams, could have sworn I did. Well, I'm iun there now, in case any otehr A85ers decide to join in. ;)

Please note your version/mod status.

-------------------
Baal
-------------------
Grape [1.13d SC FAM]
Pb_pal [1.13d SC FAM]
Friiser [1.14d SC FAM]
NanoMist [1.14d SC FAM]
Carawolk [1.14d SC FAM]

-------------------
Level 85 Areas
-------------------