[2014] Assassin, Ninja, Nightstalker Tournament [by Vang]

Zorg has finally vanquished Andariel. I have been only rolling on /p5 since about midway through the act and the fight took a good few minutes of stabbing her while my rogue shot at her. Finally succumbed to her own type of attack as well: some nasty poison.

Upon entering Act 2, a trusty new mercenary with a polearm was hired, who can provide me with a healing benefit. Only time will tell if this mercenary is as good as my last one.

Zorg level 18 Poison daggermancer!

I'll have serious regrets if I don't join this one. Every RPG I play involves some kind of assassin or hitman type character (even Fallout: NV!).

I might just try another phoenix striker, but I'm not opposed to a poison daggermancer or frost zealot. Do you guys have thoughts?

Just started today, going with a Phoenix Striker named Shahdee. Cleared everything up to the Tamoe Highlands, at level 16 right now. Countess dropped a Tir. Managed to find an Arctic Furs in the Cave. :)

I'll probably finish Act 1 later today or maybe tomorrow.

Can we go back to a previous act/difficulty for imbues/personalization, or do we have to do that before we leave?

EDIT: Look what I found from gambling! Level 23, in Act 2 now. Andariel was very easy, although my shadow died once to her. Beetle packs are a little irritating in Act 2, but nothing I can't handle (yet).
sander's taboo.png

I've been tossing around all these ideas for characters to play, but without using shields, I don't think I would enjoy this without playing an assassin or barbarian. Without shouts, a barb will struggle greatly in later NM and Hell I think, so the logical choice is an assassin. I'll look into builds tonight, but I'll probably just do some kind of dual claw kicker. Phoenix strike is the obvious choice, and I may try it, but we'll see.

Turbotaxette mumbled to herself as she entered the Rogue Encampment:

"Figures, the IRS puts me back here in Sanctuary to collect taxes. I could've gone to Hawaii! Or New York City! Not anything decent around. The citizens here have already paid up. Oh well, at least it's time to start my day...."

Turbotaxette Level 1 Assassin: Entering the Blood Moor....

From the diary of Turbotaxette

Day 1 0700 Hours

Kind of tired, but kind of happy. The Blood Moor was a tax collector's paradise. I found lots of things that were worth money from the anti-government citizens. Here is a transcript of one of our chats.

TT: Sir, hi, I'm from the IRS, you have overdue taxes, I'm here to collect them?

Zombie: Hwaa? Raaa?

TT: Can you repeat that sir? I didn't understand you.

Zombie: Raa! Waagh!

TT: Sorry sir, I really cant not collect the tax. Its been overdue for over two thousand years or so...

Zombie: Rast!

TT: Ok, sir, you asked for it. (stabs Zombie to death). Hmm, some throwing knives, those are worth some good gold. Our sincere thanks from the IRS. Have a nice day.

I was able to find some items with yellow words, there was a nice sash that I'm using now as well as a good cap that I am keeping but not using because of the chipped topaz I found that I have in the cap I bought from Charsi with the tax money (IRS has issues paying collectors.....)

Turbotaxette, the level 6 Assassin (500 exp from level 7): Entering the Cold Plains....

I am back to D2 for a while, and I will sometimes need something easier to play than my Blaze Sorc, so I will enter with a Daggerzon. Shouldn't be too hard, right? A bit limited as far as shields go, but there are still some good ones allowed.

I also see this as an opportunity to work on my very long term goal of a dodecavirate of merc types (that accompany Guardians in restricted single-pass SPF tournies). Of the 7 allowed types in this tourney, the only two I haven't made Guardian with are the Prayer and the Defiance mercs. Which of those two do you think would work best in this tourney, and why?

Started Act 4 today at level 32. Act 2 got pretty boring near the end, trying to get through all 7 tombs. Act 3 was pretty easy, and I found it more enjoyable then any other time I've played through Act 3, although Mephisto was a slog. My shadow warrior is getting too fragile to stay alive for long, and maxing Phoenix Strike ASAP is probably a better use of my skill points. I'll have to rely on my merc to tank for me.

Lucky find:
perfect mf% nagel.png

I'm on holiday this week and all my friends are away, so I'll be playing a lot of Diablo. Let's see how far i get. I'm not incredibly experienced at Phoenix Strikers, so any tips would be great.

@jiansonz I think Prayer would be better at low levels, and Defiance better at high levels, when you get some high base defence armor. Prayer could still be useful if you plan to use an Insight polearm on your merc. Otherwise, get a Prayer merc to start out with, and switch to a Defiance merc later.

jiansonz said:
I am back to D2 for a while, and I will sometimes need something easier to play than my Blaze Sorc, so I will enter with a Daggerzon. Shouldn't be too hard, right? A bit limited as far as shields go, but there are still some good ones allowed.

I also see this as an opportunity to work on my very long term goal of a dodecavirate of merc types (that accompany Guardians in restricted single-pass SPF tournies). Of the 7 allowed types in this tourney, the only two I haven't made Guardian with are the Prayer and the Defiance mercs. Which of those two do you think would work best in this tourney, and why?
Prayer for simplicity for any class, but I'd probably grab Defensive if you are going Assassin as it'll work nice with Shadow Warrior.

OK, probably going with Defiance merc for the late game. Even with Decoy, I have a feeling I will have to help my merc with tanking sometimes. If I can get a high-def armor, a trifecta of Defense, blocking and a little Dodge should make me a slippery target.

Insight would be useful, but only for the merc himself (it has good damage and Critical Strike) because the only skills I use mana for are dirt cheap (Slow Missiles and high-level Decoy). I have my own rules for Insight as well: I may not make it in an exceptional poleam before Act IV NM and not in an elite one before Act III Hell.

It's going well for Summer the Daggerzon and Chalan the Prayer merc. We're at Lower Kurast now, at level 30. Slow Missiles is great to battle the flayer shamans - it reduces their flamethrower's range to less than a meter. And while it really is not needed because the shots are so puny and Prayer is running, Slow Missiling flayer blowdart shots is very Matrix-bullet-timey.

Avoid does amazing things sometimes. Summer completely avoided damage from a thrown fire potion out in the Act II desert. How's that for a ninja skill?!

(btw, this character is named after actress Summer Glau, who often playes mentally unstable characters. Assassination overall does require planning and cold thinking, but at the moment of killing, the relentless dagger stabbing that's going on here requires a bit of crazy. Also, Summer Glau is thin and waifish, like this character will be for quite a while. Still only 35 STR at this time (so I can use a Blade).)

From the Diary of Turbotaxette

Day 2 2200 Hours

Notes to self:

Avoid Lightning Enchanted fallen (courtesy of a Monster shrine) and boss packs of Archers (NDEs to both Fire enchanted and Coldcrow)

Do not attempt to collect all taxes at a fallen camp by only taking out the head shaman

Blood Raven is a horrible taxpayer (spiked clubs and skull caps?)

Good news: having 5 resist in all elements (first time I've managed that on a character...)

Turbotaxette, the now level 12 Assassin, (chilling in the Cold Plains, next up, Stony Field)

Destroyer Summer the daggerzon is chilling in NM Rogue Encampment.

With her merc's cubed Savage polearms (first a Savage Poleaxe of Alacrity, then (switch happened by Frozen River) a 78/5 Savage Partizan of Slaying, progress was smooth all the way up to Diablo. Yes, including Mephisto, which Summer valiantly tanked to keep the merc safe.

For Diablo, I shopped the biggest physical damage Balanced Knife I could find for sale by Halbu. Not impressive, something like 6-24 damage. For killing /p3 Diablo, I calculated I'd need to hit him about 700 times. Good grief...

And I did just that. Decoy fooled him often enough to keep me resaonably safe, and I stayed on the move whenever decoy was not "alive". For once, Diablo did not bone prison me a single time. It was actually less of a slog that I had envisioned. But I really should have tried to gamble some Throwing Knives with good elemental damage instead.

For the Baal fight, I could afford a 'Strength' Kris, making that fight a lot shorter. I thought I had taken a screenie there, but apparently not. Here is one of Lister, though. Perfect setup with the Decoy getting pummeled into an obstacle, merc is free to hit (he's behind the thick pillar) and Summer stops regeneration and adds a little damage with her Static Throwing Knife of Pestilence.

Notable finds:
The Jade Tan Do (nice poison damage/resist, too bad it has no ED!)
The Spirit Shroud (dropped by Diablo, nice for a merc when CBF becomes important)
Jewel of Fervor (always good for the options later to have a few of these...)
Shael rune (in cow level -> used for 'Rhyme' Small Shield)
And finally, would you believe it, a grailer for me!: Telling of Beads (random critter in Halls of Pain*)

(* I was actually surprised they are high enough in level (39), but they are. For example, Unholy Corpses are level 42.)

Current skills:
Inner Sight 1
Slow Missiles 3
Decoy 20
Dodge 1
Avoid 1
Critical Strike 11
Penetrate 7
Pierce 7

Destoyer Summer the daggerzon and Chalan the Prayer guard, level 48, NM Blood Moor next

Is nobody else playing this tourney?

Well, I certainly have fun playing, so I'll keep going.
Not a cookie cutter build, but the Daggerzon is at least a build that makes sense.

Halfway through Act I NM, I found an etehereal Kinemil's Awl. After upgrading, this did a lot more damage than anything I had for the desert guards, so I switched to Hild the barbarian merc. With no life steal, he was pretty frail, so solid Decoy use was a must for good progress.

Found my first of these out in the desert. If I do play with a Defiance or Prayer merc in the late game, my solution to PI critters must come from my gear.

I was a little scared of CVT level 2. Used a tactic I have picked up recently - this place is usually the safest base you can have.

Killing speed against high-life enemies (unravelers, Hulks, etc..) was really quite slow. I used my daggers on weapon switch a lot - a pack of 180% ED Ferocious War Dart of Vileness. Just hitting these enemies once each made a big difference.

After I had spent an absurd amount of money gambling Poleaxes, Halberds and Pikes, I finally scored a weapon that I could upgrade to something better than Kinemil's:
Demon Barb
Partizan

Two-Hand Damage: 91 to 179
Durability: 65 of 65
Required Dexterity: 67
Required Strength: 113
Required Level: 40
Polearm Class - Very Fast Attack Speed
+139% Enhanced Damage
+10 to Minimum Damage
Cold Resist +14%
Required Level +5
40% Increased Attack Speed
195% Damage to Undead
+177 to Attack Rating against Undead
Repairs 1 durability in 33 seconds

Still not a powerful weapon for a merc in players 8 mid-Nightmare. What do you do to increase the kill speed? Pick a Might merc, of course. Killing speed did improve, which was badly needed in the temples. Sarina's gang (Extra Strong) still gave me quite some trouble.

I did not trust my character's ability to go toe-to-toe with Mephisto for a very long time, so I took him on players 3 so my Strength Kris would be effective. I consulted Ormus for support. Gee, thanks...

The fight wasn't that bad, though. Fouth act boss in a row I have used this dagger against, and the third where I've worn Umbral Disk, which I have about 60% blocking with.

Act IV NM was tough, but fun. The dreaded spawners showed up in 3/4 of the possible areas. I've learned that the best way to eventually get my merc to attack the spawner itself is to cast Decoy next to the spawner, on the side of it that's away from the merc. This means that the little ones will eventually gather there.

I wanted both better fire resist and CBF in the Diablo fight. Hence, I went with my Rhyme shield, and switched to Hotspur (=> 71% fire resist). Lightning resist was just OK, but I was not so concerned because you can avoid the lightning hose on NM by getting right up in D's face. The fight went really well - I did not even need to go back to town for more potions. Zanarhi survived, and he got the kill for about 450% MF, and it sure paid off.

What a great drop! Spineripper is not a bad little poker. And get this, the Yari is ethereal! I put AmnShaelShael in it. Merc weapon is now set for the endgame. Not at all sure what to imbue now. Probably some sort of elite daggers.

While I would really like an Act I merc in Act V NM (you can be a lot more tactically elegant against all those ranged attackers), good Decoy and Slow Missiles use should see me and Zanarhi through, I hope.

Current skills:
Inner Sight 1
Slow Missiles 3
Decoy 20
Dodge 6
Avoid 3
Critical Strike 14
Penetrate 20
Pierce 7

Notable other finds:
Trang-Oul's Claws
The Spirit Shroud
39% Ruby Heavy Boots of Speed (shopped)
11/67 Rainbow Amulet of the Squid
23/91 Garnet Belt of the Whale
runes: Pul, Ko, Lum x2, Io
Jewel of Thunder with perfect value (1-100)
rare ring:
Blood Loop
Ring

Required Level: 35
+66 to Attack Rating
+2 to Minimum Damage
Fire Resist +22%
Lightning Resist +20%
6% Life stolen per hit
3% Mana stolen per hit

Destoyer Summer the daggerzon and Zanarhi the Might guard, level 67, NM Frigid Highlands next

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High