[2007] Tournament : The Bountyhunter's heaven [by Merlin The Wizzard]

Oops, messed up that link. Here is what I wanted to show.

I don´t know if the Duriel and Mephisto drops were any good - I didn´t ID them. No Set/Uniques. Dury dropped his full 5 items: a chipped sapphire, a magical weapon and three rare weapons. Mephisto dropped six rares. Two of the types had potential to be somehing good (Greaves, Circlet).

The lightning/cold damage is weak so far. I think fire will work better even against the resistant enemies. We shall see.
I have level 1 Venom, too. That helps.

Sorry to double post, but I´d like to know what the decision was for the Hellforge drops. Are we allowed to use those items?

Btw, a single boss pack of Pit Lords in the City, that was all the Megademons I saw up to the WP. At least I could improve the gloves to Gauntlets of +1 DEX. :rolleyes:

I'd suggest that HF runes can be used like dropped from a bounty mob, but not from a bounty mob SU. That way they're kind of support for RWs based on SU rune drops :)

Didn't get to play today, since I pushed a 1.07 sorceress from nada to Act V Crystalline Passage - I decided it's about time for some kick*** ethereal 1.07 weapons:grin:

Bobbie_Fett has taken out Andariel and moved on to claim an Act 2 Merc. Oops, I mean moved on to the desert (but really, anything besides the new Merc at this point is just gravy!). ;)

I'll post a proper update when I get home, but suffice to say, Vampires in Act I turned out to be an AWFUL draw for me. The only place they spawned was in Catacombs 3 (denying me access to Andariels gifts at the last second), and what's more, I'd cleared 2/3 of Catacombs 3 and killed 4, count 'em, 1, 2, 3, 4 normal vampires which dropped NoDrop, Arrows, Gold, Gold respectively. *sigh*

Then all of a sudden I turned a corner and there was a double bosspack of them. One pack was Extra Fast, the other I don't remember (Stone skin I think?). Vampires racing everywhere, Fireballs going everwhere, mine and theirs, and the net result, a LOT of bunches of gold, a LOT of potions (but no rejuvs!), an ethereal magic quilted armour (Yay me!) and a rare buckler.

There was also a sash and a quiver of bolts just through a door, but I'd killed 2 vampires and about 3 tainted through there, so I didn't know whose was what.

Speaking of Tainted, oh how I wish I could have rolled them. There were bosspacks of them ALL over the place. Seriously, most of the jail, ALL levels of the catacombs, and of course the Underground Passage. Good grief. Particularly in the catacombs I tell no lie when I say at a MINIMUM there would have been 6 boss packs and 3 champion packs of them, and I really would like to say that was 8-10 boss packs, but I wan't to err on the conservative side! All their drops pointless of course!

Andy dropped a 29% Nagel. Given that MF will be hard to come by in this tournament, it was sad to see that wasted. Oh well, at least I'm guaranteed at least a few areas with Slingers in them in the coming phase

Act 1 was a much tougher journey than usual under the rules of this tournament, fortunately it should be a bit easier now that I have a melee merc to let me rest on my laurels a little while Mr. Desert Merc gets to work! It'll mean I don't have to spam the spells as much and can slowly but surely develop my two weapons.

Up to now my focus has been on Fireball, but I am tempted to switch my focus to the freeze of Glacial. I'm also considering a few more points in static so I don't need to get quite so close, but will hold off on that for a while until it seems really necessary (if it does). Resists are going to be a HUGE issue in this tournament. I have yet to find a single charm from a hunted monster. :(

I'll post a bit more of an update from home tonight with some piccies.

Bobbie_Fett, L20 FB/GS Sorceress, Act 2 Normal, Radament next.

Butz. :dunce:

Last edited:
Butzull said:
Vampires in Act I turned out to be an AWFUL draw for me. The only place they spawned was in Catacombs 3
That´s the place they are, if at all. They can not spawn anywhere else in act 1.

Butzull said:
Oh well, at least I'm guaranteed at least a few areas with Slingers in them in the coming phase
There are no guarantees, but it´s highly unlikely that you will not see any.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Ah, ok, I thought we had discussed this already, but let's make it (more) official, shall we ? :p

The following quest rewards cannot be used. :
1. The reward for Saving Cain
2. The countess (her reward is a chest drop, so the chest item drop rule applies... Her runes can only be used if Corrupted Rogues are a bountymob
3. The reward for the GidBinn (that is, the ring from ormus)
4. The reward for saving Anya. (That is, the item Anya gives you. The resistance scroll can be used)

The following quest rewards can be used, provided the base item is a legitimate find (it retains the status it had (so SU drop remains a SU drop))
1. Charsi's Imbue
2. Larsus' Socket item.
3. Anya's personalize item.

All other quest rewards can be used freely. The HF drop counts as non Superunique socket fillers.

Butz, At least you had the privilege of using 'good' shopped items throughout the act. Imagine what happens if you get a couple of skellies and the SU at the beginning (with the SU royally messing up damage output), a few champions in Tristram, and some bonewarriors in the pit (with mainly weapon drops, which I couldn't use anymore :( )... Trust me, I would have loved Vamps... that would have made most map areas a relative breeze :p
Besides, the vampres will provide you with relatively useful drops in Act 2 and 3 as well (due to their spawning at the end of all acts). Still, their drops weren't very good, I 'll give you that :p

I have never be4 taken screenshots, and I have no idea where to post them, so I guess you will have to do with my text :p

So how does Pasmani, the Fire Druid fare, you ask?
Good question... I ask the same thing myself... LOL. Nah, I'm kidding.
Pasmani took the trusted club (Seriously, that has to be the crappiest starter item of all chars), and went outside to clobber some bogeys. While he would have liked to ignite them, he needed to 'start' the fire'engine'. With p8 ,it didn't take too long to start it though. PRetty soon, he was bravely firestorming for all he was worth. Which was fairly little, granted. I'm pretty sure most mobs croaked from laughing at those puny flames. But with some dilligence, and invested skill points, pretty soon they stopped laughing... and started combusting.
It's a relatively painless ride. Because I decided to pretty much focus my attention on 4-5 skills, I could imediately start pumping my starter skill, and as soon as Molten Boulder popped, I pumped that too. The mutual synergies made sure Every point counted for more damage output on two skills, which is always nice. At least Blood raven and Cold Crow were ridiculously easy. Cold crow(and her entire pack) dropped from 2 Molten boulders, really.
Blood raven died from Firestorms, mostly, although the one Boulder that hit her, cost her about a quarter of her health.
I pretty much decided to postpone buying stuff until I saw what bonebreaker was going to burden me with, but this time around, I was more lucky then the previous round... A Jagged Hand Axe and a buckler with attacker takes damage of 1 (always a nice thing to have in the early act). That meant one weapon slot was free for better weapons, when they were found of course. Once I had killed all skeletons, I shopped myself a ringmail, just to stay safe.

As soon as Fissure popped, I started pumping it, and it now stands at lvl 4. So I am lvl 15 :p I havent done the countess quest yet, but I did clear out the hole, so I can make a beeline for the tower, and then run out into the tamoe highlands. I am going to follow Wayne's advice (and take Morathi's to heart), by fully pumping about 3 skills, and focusing most of my damage on 1, just no yet sure which one. At least I am sure I am going to use Firestorm, since it has a high cast rate, and great synergies. If I like Volcano, I might use that, otherwise it's going to be fissure... But that is a problem for later :p

Skills : FS - 5, MB - 4, Fiss - 4, AB - 1, CA - 1
Stats - I have in full conscience pumped energy for several levels. I can't depend on my drops to give me a solid mana base, so I will provide one myself. Right now, stats are : Str 50, Dx 20, Vit = energy = 40.
I have 106 life, and ** mana. One Flawed ruby, 2 chipped diamonds.
Here is the eq.
Skull cap
Superior ring mail
Superior LArge Axe 1 empty socket (the very fast attack speed is nice)
Chain Gloves
Boots
Crude sash
Ring , +1 light radius, +10 AR
Weapon switch holds the SU drop as specified above.
Mercenary :
Low quality hunters bow
Rare Hard Leather armor (+1 life, LR=PR = 5, Attacker takes 1 damage, repair (33 secs)
Cap.

Last edited:
Merlin The Wizzard said:
Butz, At least you had the privilege of using 'good' shopped items throughout the act. Imagine what happens if you get a couple of skellies and the SU at the beginning (with the SU royally messing up damage output), a few champions in Tristram, and some bonewarriors in the pit (with mainly weapon drops, which I couldn't use anymore :( )

Besides, the vampres will provide you with relatively useful drops in Act 2 and 3 as well (due to their spawning at the end of all acts). Still, their drops weren't very good, I 'll give you that :p
Theoretically yes, but in reality no. My gear for almost the entire act was a sash which I later upgraded to a plain belt (which I later imbued when I had nothing else to imbue, because I wasn't sure if I could go back and use it later...yes, I know I have to sell it as soon as I see ANY belt), and a spear of the bear.

I sold the spear when I found the rare buckler, so my gear at the end of the act was:
Headgear: empty
Armour: Ethereal Magic Quilted Armour with some really crap mod
Weapon: empty
Off Hand: Rare Buckler with a couple of small resists
Amulet: empty
ring 1: empty
ring 2: empty
belt: Rare belt with a couple of small resists and I think a little replenish life
gloves: empty
boots: empty
switch weap: empty
switch off-hand: empty

Merc:
Weapon: 3-socket hunters bow, all sockets empty
Headgear: empty
Armour: empty

Why do you ask? Simple, I have been saving all my gold for merc resurrections and if necessary (which it hasn't been so far), red and blue potions. I've needed a couple of merc resurrections thus far, and the 1600 gold or so each isn't particularly nice. That said, I think I have about 40k saved. So I guess that means that with my strategy, ANY drop would have been better than nothing, whether I was forced to wear it or not. I do admit though that I have chosen this approach myself, and could have equipped myself better, but I made the choice to suffer through Act 1 to hopefully set myself up better for deeper in the game.

When I bought my Desert Merc, I looked at the shop and there was a 21%MF heavy gloves, so I lashed out and bought that too, but I have yet to kill anything with it.

Oh, and you are right indeed, I'm looking forward to the Arcane Sanctuary and the Durance, because I know I'll see some more vamps there!

Last edited:
True, but the act 2 merc is strong enough to last until duriel without dying. You might want to consider doing the big slug at p3 or p5 or something, to make sure your merc doesnt croak... I believe Duriel is your Act Boss, right?
Compared to the other acts, the money you collect in this one, with the tourneyrules, is very low, but still makes i justifyable to buy some gear... Especially now you are in act 2, since Lightning Resist is very useful against those lousy beetles.
Jiansonz never mentioned he had to, but then again, he has fade... that helps :p
Oh, by the rules of the tourney, you couldn't imbue the bought belt. But use it now that you have it. It is perfectly fine to revisit the camp for the imbue quest though. Just make sure you do each imbue in it's own difficulty setting, and you'll be fine.

If I had been you, I would probably have shopped some cheap +mana gear together. Lizards and snake stuff. With a cap and a sash and whateverelse, you would probably have saved some mana pots...

Sorry about that with the belt, I'll sell it if you want (it hasn't been used yet actually, I imbued it after Andy). Apparently I've done myself a HUGE disservice though. If a usable white sorceress orb drops, now I've wasted the chance to rarify it. :(

I'll be able to take the slug on /players 8 with no problems at all, purely because of Static, he'll die in a flash.

Definitely the thing for me to be wary of this act is elemental damage as you mentioned. The beetles will be dangerous, but one false step near the summoner and I could be a steaming pile of fried sorc.

I think I'll spend a little time shopping for blue gloves and boots with LR or FR combined with MF. I think it's critical to try to give the limited drops we do get to use, as chance to be as good as possible.

Oh, and while I have your attention, is there anywhere I can find out EXACTLY which extra areas can spawn with my trophy mobs? I don't go into some of them very often, and wouldn't mind totally skipping those which won't help me at all.

Merlin The Wizzard said:
but still makes i justifyable to buy some gear... Especially now you are in act 2, since Lightning Resist is very useful against those lousy beetles.
Jiansonz never mentioned he had to, but then again, he has fade... that helps :p
I never thought of using Fade against the beetles. Anyway, Mary did not go near them, usually. That was the merc´s job. I did use Fade against the Summoner, plus I 'kept a low profile'. :azn: Merc was leading the way up to the platform.

Merlin The Wizzard said:
Just make sure you do each imbue in it's own difficulty setting, and you'll be fine.

I don´t really understand what this sentence means. Does it mean I have to use my Normal imbue before I go on to Nightmare?

Butzull said:
Oh, and while I have your attention, is there anywhere I can find out EXACTLY which extra areas can spawn with my trophy mobs? I don't go into some of them very often, and wouldn't mind totally skipping those which won't help me at all.

Sure, I know this by heart:

Vampires: Catacombs 3, Tal Rasha´s Tombs, The first four Kurast temples, All three Durance levels
Slingers: Rocky Waste, Dry Hills (fire potion throwers), Halls of the Dead (all three levels), Lost City (poison potion throwers), Canyon of the Magi
Frog Demons: Great Marsh, Flayer Jungle
Doom/Abyss/OB Knights: All areas in act 4
Reanimated Horde: Frozen River, Glacial Trail, Icy Cellar, WSK level 1, Nhlathak´s Temple (aka Pindle´s garden), Halls of Valor, Halls of Pain

Then you have act 5 NM/Hell, where all of the first four can appear at guest monsters. I am not sure exactly where, though. The Knights are in WSK level 2-3, Throne level, and at least in two of the RoF-like pits.

Last edited:
You are right, Jiansonz, it means just that. You have to use the Normal Imbue reward in Normal difficulty, etc. If you choose to forsake it, your choice of course, but you'll miss a usable rare, and you will miss 1 point (an unsolved quest). Since there is little use for Anya's personalize reward, but it fits this tournament so perfectly (in the form of getting your very own ' trophy's ' from trophymobs), I am considering the following

You may use the personalize reward on a legitimate drop. Should you use it on one of your superunique drops (the Act Boss drop EXCLUDED), add 1 point to your score. If you use it on a regular trophymob drop, it will get the SuperUnique inheritance, but you forgo the score. Let me know if this is to your liking

No Pit Lords in River of Flame either, but there were of course guaranteed Venom Lords in the CS. I found a plain Heavy Belt from one, which made it possible to cube a mighty Savage......Bardiche. Crap, not much better than the Voulge. 👅

Level 5 Phoenix Strike seemed to be some sort of turning point, where it began to really outshine Fists of Fire, at least if most of the monsters didn´t die from one FoF blast + afterflames. In the same time it took me to charge and release 3x FoF twice, I could instead release at least 3 PS Meteors that did about the same impact damage as the FoF explosions, and burned a lot longer.

Here is one of the things I like best about this build, the pretty light show.

Infector of Souls dropped a rare staff and an ethereal Kite Shield of Deflecting. OK, so I must equip this shield. Mary has 51% blocking with it, which is not bad. Only 16 durability, though, so it can´t be used full-time for too long. Hmm, can I craft it to get rid of the "etherealness" and possibly get a nice shield with resists, etc? Oh yes, there is the Safety shield recipe that uses Kite Shield. With the Hellforge drop of a Nef and a flawless emerald I am only a jewel and a gem shrine away from that! Interesting.

I used the two diamonds from the HF drop (perfect + regular) in a 3s Kite Shield I´ve had in the stash since act 2, getting 30% resist all on this shield. My resists for the Diablo fight were 55% fire, 35% lightning. I didn´t trust that it was good enough for Martial Artistry, at least not with my meager supply of rejuve potions. I could use my level 3 Fade, but I felt that I needed more practice with fighting with slow attack and slow foot speed. I did not like this path against Diablo. Not at all.

So, I did what I´ve done with my last two characters in act 4 Normal, I fought Big D with throwing weapons. I am becoming more and more certain that this is the best way to fight Normal Diablo for many fledgling character builds. You have a ranged attack and you can still have a shield. Halbu sells quite fast Pilums and Javelins that can have Static/Fiery damage. No such luxuries for Mary, but she has her trusty Balanced Axes and a Skill Shrine in early CS gave me level 3 BoS and Venom. Four town trips and some more fighting later (twice to repair the weapon, twice to shop some greater healers) the path to Harrogath was clear. Yay.

Now I have to plough on all the way until the Throne level before I can get more intersting items. Lots of levelling and strength building coming up. What usually provides some spice to this incredibly boring act (the chance for cool runes and early exceptional items) is out in this tourney. ZZzzzzz...wake me up when it´s Ancients time (or possibly Evil Urns in Frenzytaur areas...:badteeth:).

If no exciting imbuables drop on the Throne level, I´ll most likely imbue my Chain Boots at clvl 48-49.

Mary the MA Assassin and Chalan the Prayer Guard, level 35, Bloody Foothills next

Last edited:
@jiansonz: Thanks for the list of areas, that's awesome. I'll full clear Act 5 NM (assuming I even get there), but I am surprised Reanimated Horde can't appear in the Halls of Vaught, but then again now that I think of it, I don't recall them being there! 👍 Oh, and nice idea with the eth kite shield, good thinking, and well done with Diablo, I'll have to consider that in future tournaments, but obviously shouldn't need it in this tournament with a Sorcs spells.

Bobbie_Fett had a brief session last night, well, perhaps not so brief, but made it just from Lut Gholein back to Lut Gholein, via the Sewers, Rocky Waste, Stony Tomb, Dry Hills and the Halls of the Dead.

The cool thing was that Slingers spawned in Sewers Lvl3 (oops jiansonz, you missed that one, hehe ;)), Rocky Waste, Dry Hills and Halls of the Dead Levels 1,2 and 3. What this soon taught me is that they LOVE dropping bows. The first 3 groups dropped about 3 composite bows, a couple of long bows and a couple of hunters bows. The 4th group dropped a white spear (which was a mandatory downgrade for the merc from a shopped scythe), 5th and 6th groups dropped just bows again (which was starting to get annoying...they're very large and sell for bugger-all.

Just when I was starting to think they could only drop Bows and Spear/Polearm weapons, finally one dropped a Light Belt (which was a mandatory downgrade from the imbued belt I had been wearing (oh what a waste!). More bows followed later, and then finally one I had cornered in the Halls by itself dropped a green pair of chain boots. HSARUS! Very nice, FRW and Fire Resists! I'd love to use them for a LONG time, but that will depend on trophymob drops of course...they're living an endangered life unfortunately. Fortunately though, Lord De Seis is the only one that can FORCE me to remove them before the critical battle with Diablo, where they are almost ideal, speed and FR.

It's nice to have the cube now, even if I have no use for it currently. It gives me a place to fit one more bow before a town trip. ;) My nett supply of socketables consists of a chipped diamond and a chipped emerald. No runes at all. I did find a keepable gnarled staff that I can sell for 10k if needs be, or put with the diamond when I find a kris. Silly me sold the imbued belt, as I just realised that I could have gone back to using it after "losing" the belt in the recipe.

It's probably also about time I worked out a score for myself (thanks Grisu for the earlier versions:
WPs (13*1): +13
Quests (7*1): +7
Acts (1*3): +3
Perfect Acts (1*1): +1
SU Bonus (0*2): +0
Level 22: -22
Vampires (Rare) in Act I: +3
Total: 5

Onwards and upwards!

Bobbie_Fett, Level 22 FB/GS Sorceress, Act 2 Normal, Maggots next.

Last edited:
Butzull said:
but I am surprised Reanimated Horde can't appear in the Halls of Vaught, but then again now that I think of it, I don't recall them being there!
In Normal, there are always:
- Ice Spawns (same as the ones by Nihlathak),
- succubi (don´t remember their actual name in this area)
- Defilers

There can be Prowling Dead here, but only in NM/Hell. In this place, they apparently act as guest monsters in their own act. :azn:

Butzull said:
The cool thing was that Slingers spawned in Sewers Lvl3 (oops jiansonz, you missed that one, hehe ;)),

I do not believe you, sorry. There can be Huntresses there (melee cats) but I have never seen Slingers in this area.

Butzull said:
and then finally one I had cornered in the Halls by itself dropped a green pair of chain boots. HSARUS! Very nice, FRW and Fire Resists! I'd love to use them for a LONG time, but that will depend on trophymob drops of course...they're living an endangered life unfortunately. Fortunately though, Lord De Seis is the only one that can FORCE me to remove them before the critical battle with Diablo, where they are almost ideal, speed and FR.

Oh yes, I have saved those for the Diablo fight many times. (Switching to MF boots just before the kill, of course...)

Last edited:
jiansonz said:
I do not believe you, sorry. There can be Huntresses there (melee cats) but I have never seen Slingers in this area.
I'll check my notes when I get home, but I'm pretty sure they were there...or was it in the Stony Tomb? I don't remember and now you have me doubting myself...but I'm pretty sure it was in one of the early undeground areas. :(

Last edited:
The vampires also spawn in the Arcane Sanctuary, btw, Butz.

Short update on Pasmani. God, how the fire skills totally rock in act 1. I know I'm gonna get butchered eventually, but right now, I am butchering my opponents :p Countess tower mobs died so quickly I doublechecked to make sure I actually had p8 on :p Fissure totally rocks, and since it is synergized by Firestorm, my current raises also raise the damage here :p
Well, no bountymobs for me down in the tower, but that is ok, since nothing really great dropped (xcept for a green quilted armor out of the last devilkin alive in the tower :p) The tamoe highlands were no match for the fissure either. Into the pit. Bone warriors here, and so I had to get rid my shopped ringmail, I am now wearing a rare hard leather armor (that my merc was wearing be4), she got a plain hard leather. In the pit lvl 2 I only found 3 regular bone warriors, no hero. The rest died within a minute or two. Waypoint outer cloister is tocuhed, and Pasmani is done with the grassy areas. Now its cloister all the way to my Act Boss drop.
Good time for a save and short update here. 2 levels gained make me lvl 17, boith points went into FS.

Pasmani got geared up once again, to unleash his pretty firestorms once more upon unsuspecting, future McDemon hamburger snacks. He figured if hios career cooking demons failed, he still had a good chance heating up sauna's... An admirable, if somewhat underused careerpath for a man with his abilities :p

Still, that was in the far future. For now, he had to walk through a monastery. Why would a monastery need a barracks? he pondered? Even more odd, why would a monastery need three different jail levels? Those rogues are easily corruptable, he mused, while cooking everything in sight.

The Smith was troublesome, snice he was too big to be pushed around by the boulders. Luckily enough, my belt held just enough health and mana pots to do him under. Pitspawn, the one hero I hate most in Act I, died in two well placed fissures. I found a nice green light belt which came from the same set the nice green quilted armor was from, and, of course, neither dropped from bountymobs. Still, they are stashed and will be atmad :p

Oh, before i forget, NO MORE BOUNTYMOBS FOR ME IN ACT I. Boohoo... no bonewarriors in the barracks. Well, at least that made my mission quite simple. Ignore all the pretty blue items that dropped, and descend while toasting everything in sight.
A couple of catacomb rooms held nasty surprises, particularly in Catacombs 1, where a ratman hero LE was teamed up with a pack of Champion shamans and the minions. And I failed to spt the ratman at first... oops :p
Lucky enough, I had 10 health left after a disastrous first entrance, so drink up, back up, and order the fries to go with the future ratburgers coming up...
Catacombs 3 held another surprise, in the form of yet again champions, the banished, this time coupled with an extra strong tainted hero.
Enter catacombs 4, cook everything, including our feisty, poisonous maiden... And hope, hope, hope... Sigh
Out drop : 2 rare long staffs, 1 rare yew wand, 1 rare spear, 1 rare ring (Yay!) and 1 blue dirk. Along with a sapphire, a chipped topaz and a chipped emmy. The ring was nice, and the staffs were stashed, as was the spear. Actually, I only sold the wand.

Act II... First stop, radament. It was troublesome, trying to find the skellie drops in between the archer drops, since fissure does too much area damage. Still, I found some money (a zombie head), one chipped skull, 1 crude belt (Stupid me then SOLD the frigging crude sash! IDJOT!) and about 7 bows, 3 hunters, 2 longbow, 2 composite. Sigh.

Radament managed to really poison my merc just be4 he croaked, and so my merc died as well. Resurrecting Jehaali, the act 2 defensive merc cost me 2650. Well, enough fun for now. Lets see what the desert brings :p

PAsmani, lvl 21, Act II desert outside of luth gholein next
Stats : Str 60, Dex 20, Vit 60, Energy 40
Skills : AB = CA =1, MB = Fiss = 4, FS = 12

Score : Waypoints 11 + 11
Quests : 6 (Imbue from Charsi still open) + 6
Act I done : +3
1 SU boss so far : +2
Act I bountymob : Skeletons, common, +1
Lvl 21 - 21
Total score : +2

PurePremium
Estimated market value